Daytona Beach, FL
Daytona State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Daytona State College

Elida

If I could go back an talk to my high school self i would have said not to ever give up on something i want just because at the time it seems like too much money and to work harder to make sure i got what i wanted out of life. To hold onto my dreams and never let anyone discourge me. And to apply for a few scholarships which i slacked on doing in high school. I would mostly just tell myself that to make sure that I did what ever makes me the happiest no matter what it is, and to stop putting others above me.

Anyone who is honestly dedicated to bettering themselves and enjoys nice scenary along with an old time feel. People who like smaller schools and like knowing the majority of other people's names.

Just how high the tuition is, I love it here but I don't think I can afford another semester. on my own

Jasmin

My number one piece of advice to myself as a high school senior would be to focus as much as I could on my academics so I could obtain my educational goals faster. I happened to be the common high school senior who caught the "senioritis" bug and admittedly slacked off during not only my senior, but also junior, years. I fell so far behind that I could not even walk with my class and had to take courses at the local community college in order to earn my diploma. Now, although I am only 26, I would sit my younger self down and say, "Listen. I know what is best for you and I know what you are capable of. Don't let the distractions of insignificant things hinder your progress. All you have to do is focus enough to graduate on time, and even take dual-courses while still in high school, and you will not regret it. You can be 22 and have completed a Bachelor's degree, or you can be 26 and have two years to go. I know you'll make up your own mind, but please just take heed to this advice."

I obtained my AA in General Studies and continue to take pre-requisite courses at DBCC for my BSH in Dietetics from UNF (where I will be transferring in the summer). I only wish I could attend DBCC (now Daytona State College) for the rest of my educational career, as the professors, advisors, and even financial aid office have all been wonderful to deal with. It is an overall great school.

I just love the professors, the class structure, the advantages offered from the fitness center to the lab materials. Even the academic advisors are a pleasure to deal with.

Marielena

My community college is not known for anything at the moment. It has grown considerably larger in the past few years, much larger than when students like my brother dual enrolled in the small 1 building campus 10 years ago. My school is still spreading its wings, but has helped a lot of students in my city and neighboring cities afford a college education in the process.

I can honestly say that I have not had the pleasure of being a senior yet. Nonetheless, college is worlds different from high school. The pressure is doubled, and the responsibilities are all the more complicated. If I could go back to my freshman or sophomore year, I would have started Dual Enrollment then so my work load could have been more spread out. Additionally, I would have begun entering scholarship contests then, or started researching colleges and majors then- as opposed to now when I have AP exams to prepare for and college work to complete.

Currently, I am still in high school and attending Daytona Beach Community College (now named Daytona State College) in order to receive my AA degree before I end high school. However, the one piece of advice I would give to high school students is to get as many college credits completed as they can before graduating. With AP classes and Dual Enrollment, there are many opportunities for high school students to get college credits for free and not pay tuition.

Jordan

If I could go back in time and teach my high school senior self a thing or two about college life, I would say "Don't procrastinate." Waiting until the last minute in college causes failing grades as opposed to in high school when teachers let you turn in things late. Deadlines are made for a reason, and that goes for tuition and other fees as well. As a high school senior, teachers always told you to "take notes if you want" but I never understood the importance of notes until i started college. I would tell myself to take as many notes as possible and that notes could only help, never hurt. An important piece of information I would tell myself as a high school senior would be to make sure you are always on time. College classes are held at a certain time, so make sure you are there on time. I would tell myself that there is no such thing as tardies in college. Your professor might allow you to miss one class and after that it is a failing grade for you. That is no fun, and is in no way a great start to college.

The worst thing at my school is overpopulation. Classroom sizes are growing and classrooms are not getting any bigger. Every morning, parking is a real problem due to overpopulation. Some days it takes me an extra forty five minutes to find a parking spot, which in turn causes me to be late for class because I live a half hour away from campus. If classrooms were a bit bigger and there were more parking spaces, then my school would be great.

I don't think that there's a "type" of person that shouldn't attend this school. My school really is ideal for anyone starting out in college. Daytona State is a great place to get your AA and they also offer four year degrees in certain programs. Daytona State is very flexible as far as class schedulig goes. Wether you are a full time student or a full time mother needing to take a night class once a week, this college is the place for you.

Erika

The photography program is one of the best programs in the country. They are also known for being very laid back.

If I could go back in time and be able to tell myself as a senior what to do or not do, I would say thats it's not all fun and games. College is harder thn High School and my thought process was that it was going to be easier and a lot more fun. Don't get me wrong, college is way more fun than High School but going into college expecting it to be easy was not a good thought process to go with. My first sememster I ended up stressing myself because I needed help and I didn't expect to need that much help. I am now in my second sememster ahead in my assignments and enjoying every class because I understand that college is not all fun in games and if I want to be a good teacher in the future I have to work on it now.

The parking arrangements at the school are the worst things there. I saw this because the parking around the main buildings that everyone has classes in the parking is very limited so a lot the students have to park on the other side of campus and walk all around to get to there class.

Angel

I would describe my classmates as knowledgable because everyone knows a little bit of something and when they speak, I learn from them what I didn't already know.

If I could go back in time and tell myself everything that I know about college, I would tell myself to start early. Don't mess around and wait to do things after I have already graduated from high school. I would tell myself to start planning in my junior year and get things started that way.You need to duel enroll so you will have more classes out of the way and you won't have that many classes to do after you graduate and you will be able to get my degree sooner. I would also say not to mess around in high school. I know many people like to fool around their first two years and then try to fix their mistakes in the last two or even last year of high school, and by then its almost too late. Take things more serious and pay more attention that you are doing now.

The option to take classes online or in the classroom. Some people work better alone than with others or some people just simply don't have time to go to a classroom. Having classes online available allows more people to get a better education. Many people have had to quick school because they got pregnant or their job took up too much time and didn't allow them to make time for it. Now that theres online courses, those people can go back to school and get their education as well. No one is left out.

Michelle

Daytona State College is best known for it's nursing and photography programs.

Daytona State College is best known for it's nursing and photography programs.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about a smooth transition into college, I would tell myself to be more involved in school. By this I mean, being more involved in academic programs/clubs, community service, extracurricular activities and taking college level courses. Being involved in those activities would help mold myself into a more responsible person. Responsibilty can help with time managment, organization, maturity and social skills.

I do not think that there is a person who should not go to Daytona State College. The college is open to everyone and can benefit anyone who chooses to take advantage of the facility. It offers many degrees and programs in various areas of study. The only negative aspect of the college is that it is a four year degree university. If someone would like to earn their masters degree then they would have to transfer to another university.

natasha

Daytona State College is a very large, afordable, and comfortable community colllege which is ideal for students unsure on their intended careeras or for students wanting that "at home" feeling.

If I could go back in time and tell my highschool senior self a few things about college life now that i've expierienced, this is what i would say. Dear Natasha Bradley, girl please graduated and immediately go off to college. Do not wait or take a break or you will not have that passion to attend like you had when you first completed high school. The information you learn in high school will be fresh in your brain and you will not have to take pointless prepertory classes to reawaken your brain. You will be more prepared for college because you and your friends would have visted schools and completed all the neccissary paperwork needed to enroll and recieve financial aid. You will feel more comfortable being at school with friends of yours, that are in your same age group instead complete strangers younger (freshman classes) then you. So please Natasha i beg of you, Don't procrastinate PLEASE go directly too college.

Someone with no self motivation or intent to go to school. This school is large and there's no one holding your hand making you attend so you have to want to better yourself, for yourself.

Laura

Knowing what I know now about college life, if I could go back to my senior class self, I would tell me to stay where I'm at. I duel-enrolled my senior year, and then changed to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for my college, and that was a mess. I was not quite ready for that tough of a courseload or that dedicated or advanced of a school. I would tell myself to stay at DBCC (now Daytona State) and finish the AS I started, and then decide where to go. Finish all the prequisites at an affordable community college. Knowing where my life ended up, I can't say that I'd change a thing. I'm a little behind schedule, but I wouldn't change my life now for anything, which tells me that I truly can't change my past. So, I'm not a rocket scientist. I can't pass physics. I paid far too much for a school I was in no way prepared for to tell me that, and I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything. I'm back in school, and my life is where it's supposed to be.

Anyone can attend, I've never been witness to any kind of seperatists or racism. There are easier or harder classes for any level, and it's a great starting point for a college career, and they now offer a BA program.

Tyler

My classmates are greatly interested in their future and are willing to do everything they can to succeed.

I believe that even if i was given a chance to talk to myself I would only be telling myself what everyone else was telling me at that time. For the things that I could only tell myself would simply ruin the expeirence of the transition into college life. Therefore I would leave myself be to enjoy and take in the experience all on my own.

The campus closer to where I live uses Florida Online for the majority of their courses so there is little to no face time with the professor.

Daytona State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.