Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

All the buildings are close together so you dont have to go very far for your next class.

Stop playing around and get serious about what you want to be when you grow up. Study hard and the doors will fly open for you. Quit taking life for granted and treat it as a gift. There is a whole lot of freedom when you get to college but buckle down and youll do great.

Jose

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would begin by telling myself to settle down and not be afraid to go to college. As a high school senior, the thought of attending a University scared me to death. As a high school student I was under the impression that college was a whole lot tougher than high school and only the most intelligent individuals would succeed. Another issue that made afraid was the financial burden I knew that college brings. I remember hearing stories of individuals who racked up tens of thousandths of dollars in student debt and would spend decades paying back their student loans. After being removed from high school for three years, I decided to continue my education. After attending college for a little over two years I have personally found that college is not as hard as I once thought and in fact the studies are very manageable. The costs are manageable as well, with financial aid and an abundance of scholarships available out there. If I could go back in time and speak with my younger self, I would have already been a college graduate.

Aneisha

Our school is best known for its spiritual foundation. HBU focuses on students not only getting an education, but on gaining a deeper relationship with God.

I would tell myself to look for scholarships ahead of time. Getting loans are good, but they add up and you will have to pay them back some time in the future. I would also tell myself to go to summer school, so I can get classes that are not in my major out of the way.

I brag most about the class size. I like small classes because they are more personal and your professor is able to know you on a deeper level. At big school, the professor would probably not recognize you outside of class.

LaToya

Going back to myself as a high school senior, there is one piece of advice I would have given myself to experience a better college life. Instead of commuting back and forth to the university, I should have stayed on campus. Granted it was very expensive, but I would have a better college experience. It would have given me a chance to perform better in my classes and meet more people. Instead of fighting traffic and stressing myself out while going to and from school, I could save time relaxing, resting, and accomplishing more school work.

Houston Baptist University is a religious, liberals arts private university. They incorporate Christian related activities and beliefs into the university as well as some Christianity courses. A person who is non-religious and has a negative attitude toward religion should not attend this university due to potential religious conflicts. Also, since the focus is more on liberal arts, those who want to major in business or engineering will not get the full benefits of attending the university, since those majors are not the primary focus.

Lynn

First and formost, high school senior self... enjoy your time with your frieinds. Not because you want to chill with them, but because a couple mpths after school started you wish you still had thier phone numbers. Its going to be hard. Physically, emotional, and mentally. It will hurt you many days when you choose to read that 50 page assignment. Never underestamate the power of an absence, missing one class can feel like you missed two weeks. Advice I may have for you are things you already know. Never procrastinate and ignore assignment thinking you will do them last minute, unfortunately its not thats easy. Enjoy the little moments of rest you have now because it just get busier for here on out. Have a good talk with your counseler in preperation for what your about to step into. College is not as hard as you think, and it is not as easy as you think either. But most of all, have faith in yourself. Never let enayone tear you away from your dream, and believe in that dream. Because there will come come a point you will be all you have. And Pay attention to everything.

Richard

With a relatively clean atmosphere, HBU has a strong liberal arts, nursing, and music program, and both homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers have no trouble fitting in.

Dear past self, You have done a great job in preparing for college. You had plenty of oppurtunities to become independant, and you took hold of those chances. If you had lacked that independence, college would have been extremely hard, and everything else would have fallen apart. The other great thing you made sure to do was learn how to study. So often now in college I hear the words "you can get through high school being knowledgeable and not have to study, but when you get to college, that does not work any more." I find it odd how I never heard this advice in high school, yet I still managed to develope good study habits. Finally, during finals week, I did a lot of studying, but I was not nearly as stressed as everybody else, and I even watched a few movies at night. Nonetheless, I did very well on my finals! How? I learned how to study consistantly throughout the semester, instead of cramming it all in the week before. Though it seems like a little more work on the front side, from experience I can say that it is definitely worth it! Sincerely, Your college self

I wish that I had done much better on my study habits before coming to college.

If I could have talked to myself when I was in high school, I would have told myself to better manage my time. When I was in high school I worked, but it wasn't a real job. Now I am employed at Wal-Mart and trying to manage taking classes and it is extremely a challenge, only because I never managed my time wisely. Another thing I would tell myself is to push myself. You never actually know what your abilities are until you have pushed yourself to your maximum capability. I am a kinesiology/pre-physical therapy major. I am so anxious to study kinesiology and that is why I chose it. In order to be eligible to take your DPT a test that qualifies you for physical therapy school you must atleast have a 3.7 gpa. My gpa is currently a 3.5, so this pushes me to stay on top of my game. I will not settle for mediocre. I know that I am better than that, and I know that I can be the very best as long as I push myself and as long as I learn to better manage my precious time.

ShaQuerria

I would tell myself to apply apply apply, for scholarships that is. I did receive many great scholarships and everything is paid for, for the most part, but there was so much more that I could have done, and so many more opportunities I could have looked into. I would make sure I spoke with a financial consultant and made sure that I knew everything there was to know about receiving grants and scholarships to make that transititon to college to much simpler.

I honestly don't know that there is a worse thing. I could say that the food selection get a little tedious, but then again who can't say that about their school.

Anyone who has a love for learning should attend Houston Baptist University. Sometimes there is a misconception about who should and shouldn't attend the school because of the name, but the students, staff, and administration, lovingly and whole-heartedly accept anyone who would like to attend the school.

Lina

Houston Baptist University is located in the most ethnically diverse region of Houston. Although its courses have a Christian foundation, students from a variety of cultures and religions attend the school. There are various organizations that embrace the numerous cultures present on campus, and students from any part of the world are able to feel at home. I really wanted to attend a school that would help me find my niche, and Houston Baptist's liberal arts core provided me with the opportunity to learn about a wide-spread range of subjects.

I would tell myself to study hard and earn as much college credit as possible. College is expensive and a lot of the fundamental courses that are required at every Univeristy can be taken during high school. I would encourage myself to develop good study habits; reading and writing is inevitable in college and most high school gradutes do not know how to do either of those effectively. I would also tell myself to focus my attention on scholarships once I have been accepted to the University I want to attend. Instead of spending so much attention on my class ranking and gpa, I should make applying for scholarships a priority.

Any person who is hard working and wants to attend a private university that is culturally diverse should attend Houston Baptist University. HBU is a fast growing school with a strong and advantageous outlook on liberal studies. Students are able to learn from a variety of subjects within their first two years and are required to take courses that strengthen their abilities to think critically. Students who want to get a taste for other subjects, besides those required for their future occupation, will really benefit from the courses taught at HBU.

Mark

Given the opportunity to speak to my college age self, I would give myself the confidence needed to be emotionally successful at a much earlier age. I would tell myself that everyone is challenged with something in their life, but choose to express their struggle differently. Do not aspire to be like someone you perceive to be successful. Aspire to find your own success and follow your dreams and your passions. Take time in making your decisions, but not so much time that you miss an opportunity. Do something that makes you fulfilled and do not worry about money and personal success. When you are in a career you love those things will come. And if by some change it does not, you at least love what you are doing, and that is fulfilling in itself. Take the time to love your family, friends and significant other. You will realize that these are the people that matter most in life and should receive your undivided attention. Too many life choices that override these relationships become detrimental to your being. Finally, find ways to be happy, to be loved and to love.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.