Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

Mark

Given the opportunity to speak to my college age self, I would give myself the confidence needed to be emotionally successful at a much earlier age. I would tell myself that everyone is challenged with something in their life, but choose to express their struggle differently. Do not aspire to be like someone you perceive to be successful. Aspire to find your own success and follow your dreams and your passions. Take time in making your decisions, but not so much time that you miss an opportunity. Do something that makes you fulfilled and do not worry about money and personal success. When you are in a career you love those things will come. And if by some change it does not, you at least love what you are doing, and that is fulfilling in itself. Take the time to love your family, friends and significant other. You will realize that these are the people that matter most in life and should receive your undivided attention. Too many life choices that override these relationships become detrimental to your being. Finally, find ways to be happy, to be loved and to love.

Oreoluwapo

Give everything you have to studying and doing well in class, and it will transfer to everything else you do. Serve God with all your heart, because he is the master of everything. With God all things are possible. Don't get caught up in the abyss of the high school life. Focus on your future and not on the fun of today. Ask questions, and never be satisfied with being average. Shoot for the top and never give up.

I think that the oppurtunity to grow in Christ is the best thing about Houston Baptist. They provide you with a lot of ways to get involved in such things.

If you are against growing in Christ, you shouldn't attend this school.

Brandi

My classmates are usually very dedicated to their studies and have a strong religious background that keeps them from taking part in certain "college activites".

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school self not to put off my college search until my senior year. I worked at a local restaurant but I had no idea how much my education would cost me, so saving my money was not my biggest concern. Now, my estimated cost of living to attend my university is approximately $44,000. I wish I would have started saving money much sooner so that I would not have to take out loans to pay for school. I would also tell myself to work harder to find scholarships. There are so many out there but I did not want to put in more effort to write essays and fill out applications. Money isn't everything, but not having to worry about my future debt, and how I am going to pay for my apartment would be a really good feeling. A lot of this could have been avoided had I started saving long ago and not spending my money as soon as I made it.

A person that enjoys drinking, sororities and fraternities, or someone that wants a really school spirited student base should not attend HBU.

Carolyn

Never settle for anything less than excellence. Study hard and pay attention in class. When you are struggling, ask for help because that is the only way you will learn. When you feel like giving up, search for the people around you to be your support system. Feeling like giving up is a natural feeling; it does not mean that you are quitter. You are not a quitter until you chose to quit. Believe in yourself in high school because if you don’t you it will be harder to do so in college. Utilize your time and your resources. College will be the best time of your life; however it can quickly turn to the worst time if you do not put forth the effort to excel in all that you do. Stay positive and work hard, and when and if you feel like giving up, look towards the sky and ask for the strength you need to keep moving forward.

If I would be able to go back to talk to my high school self I would tell them about all the preparation needed to do well. In order to do well you need to stay organized and stay focused on making your dreams come true. There is time for fun but responsible fun that doesn’t take you away from your classes. The number one thing a college student needs to do to succeed is go to class. If you miss too many classes this could endanger your grades and your dreams from coming true. College is a very important part of anyone’s life and to get to the next level of your life you need to properly complete all the previous levels to succeed. Life is all about having fun and working hard but the biggest issue for many people is balancing the two. College will be an eye opening experience that everyone should experience. Just remember in order to have fun you must work hard.

Ashlee

I would tell myself to have as much fun and experience as many things as possible. I would encourage myself not to limit myself to one activity (volleyball) but to try to work with the scholarship if I still accepted it so as to experience a wider range of social events. I would tell myself to learn how to study - and fast! College does not wait for you to learn how to be a student and the higher level courses are not easy to fly through the way high school and basic level courses are. I would convince myself that I have a lot of room to grow and to prepare for many changes. I would tell myself to listen to my parents a little more because they do still know what is best for me, but to make sure they understand that I am becoming independent. I would ultimately try to ready myself for the changes I would soon be facing, while not limiting myself to the person I became in high school.

A highly academic-focused person that may or may not hold social events high on their priority list. These events are available, but they are not often and they are hard to attend due to the rigor of the coursework here. The person should also be tolerant of other religions if her or she is not Baptist, because the school requires students to attend meetings, services, and/or other religious events to earn points needed for graduation.

I tell them that we are a Division I school with the NCAA and that I play a sport for my school.

Christopher

A religious, and compelling school that provides a great education.

A religious, and compelling school that provides a great education.

College has been a completely new experience. The teaching is completely different than high school. It prepares you to be able to withstand the 8 hours of work that you will do in the future. It's helps you build a good social network for the future.

One that feels, he or she cannot participate in worship/ earning clw points.

What I really like about HBU is the small class sizes, there has not been more then 32 students in any one of my classes. I also enjoyed the student Transfer / Freshman day, it's a day when all Transfer and Freshman students come together and learn more about the campus life, the school and classes. The students are always eger to help a new student out, over all the school is a great school. Another plus about the school is, HBU is located in the Southwest part of Houston which make it accessable to people outside city limits.

Since being in college I have learned how to make sacrafices. Being a mother and wife there are many activities I wish I could part take in., but because of my first priorities I can't live the college life. College has also made me more responsible, there is no one telling me to go to class and there is no one checking in with me about my grades. I really regret not taking full advantage of high school, if I would have taken high school seriously I would not be struggling as much in college. But, college has also shown me that I can do anything. I am the first in my family to attend a four year college, and I plan to be the first to graduate.

One thing that's disappointing about HBU is the cost. Because it is a private school you wont get as much finacial aid, you will have to pay out of pocket! The school offers scholorships but, they are limited to what they can offer. I would say if you were want to go to HBU I would start looking for scholoarships otherwise you will need to have a wealth family member to help pay for school.

From my college experience so far, I made friends that will be in my life, probably until the day I die. Besides making new life-long friends, I became a better writer. I believed that even though I worked hard in my English classes in high school, I will never be able to write really well. That all changed when I took one of the English professors' course at HBU. The first day of class, I was already ready to drop the course, however; I decided to stay and work hard, and see if I can pass with at least a C. When I received a B, I was overjoyed and I realized I can write really well as long as I keep working at my writing. For my essay assignments, I would get it revised by my professor before the due date so I can make my writing stronger. It has been valuable to attend because without college, I would not have the knowledge I have now. By attending, I am pursuing a higher education, and with that, I will better myself.

I would have to say the best thing about my school is that I have dedicated professors and advisors. I'm pretty lost in this whole college thing, and as cheesy as it sounds, without the help of my advisor and my professors, it would be hard to adjust to the college life. Besides that, the professors are really dedicated in what they do. Even though my english professor was hard, he made me become a better writer. I thought I was going to fail his class at the beginning, but I received a B, so I was pretty happy.

The worst thing about my school is that it's changing to a liberal arts core. I really do not like that idea because I'm afraid I will not graduate on time, but I'm sure I will be able to if I plan my schedule correctly.

I attended Trinity University. An all girl school, and at first people always say, "how can you go to an all girl school?" I simply reply why not? I love my school, there has been a lot of inspirational women who have attended my school, and have exceeded in there goals. I have learned a great deal of things at my school, even though I attended one year. My school has the best teachers, and tons of cultured women. I never thtought I would meet people who have come from all over the world and diffrent ages. When my school was built the nuns believed that women should have the same experience and empowerment every other school was offering that was only excepting men at the time. They have great activities for togetherness, and empowering women can do ANYTHING. My school is very valuable to me, it has showed me that I can achieve more than what society tell me I can not do. All my life Ive been told that I was a minority but as soon as I entered Trinity Univeristy in Washington,DC I felt as if I was the majority, and everybody was striving for something.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.