Houston Baptist University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Houston Baptist University

KeShay

I can\'t believe I\'m a college student. The Staff are very helpful with registering and getting everything done. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity. Thank you for helping me. The placement test was fairly easy. I will be getting a bachelor\'s of arts in psychology degree and im excited

Gerardo

It is an opportunity that I will never take for granted. I appreciate all the things that make the school memorable. There is no other way that I would have met the love of my life without going to the university's orientation a few years ago—plenty of opportunities to grow spiritually, academically, and personally.

Chidi

it is a cool and good college for learning i will love to attend the school when i graduate from high school my may 2021 . And i will be majoring in nursing and public health as a minor if accepted by God's grace. From what i have seen online and heard about the school it is a great place , with good learning Environment for education, and also great sport and other good thing too.

Nathalia

Houston Baptist University has been a life-changing college experience. I am grateful for the time I have had so far as a student here because my relationship with God has grown so much more. I have met incredible professors who truly care about you as an individual and want to see you succeed. Christ-centered friendships and mentors have made the journey here even better. Thank you Houston Baptist University.

Whitney

First and foremost, the campus is beautiful! Also, there are many shops outside of campus to eat, shop, or just hang out with friends. I did not get to meet any professor, but I was told that professors have regular office hours for students to attend if extra help is needed. Houston Baptist University as a variety of majors and minors for one to pursue as well.

Diego

It is not a bad school but I would have gone to another school if not for the scholarships the school provides. The faculty are easy to approach and are always available if a student needs help with anything (in school or outside of school). The food is not that great and neither is the housing.

Isabel

Houston Baptist allows students to have an excellent relationship with teachers and peers. I went to sit in one of their classes and realized that it is small and you have more opportunities to ask questions and understand the subject better. Students there pay attention and that trait you can see is passed down to others so that they can focus and pass their classes. Everyone there is so sweet. I work at the IHOP by HBU and have students come in and they have amazing manners and I'm so glad I was accepted and I am proud to say that I want to for sure be a Husky. I cant wait to start in this fall to learn and meet new people. I know HBU will help me achieve my goals and help me become a nurse or a pediatrician.

Alyssa

I love it here! It's a small campus, which is not for everyone. They can enforce their rules which can upset some students but that's what makes the campus feel so safe. The professors are always available and truly want to see you succeed. It's cozy and fun.

Rebekah

Houston Baptist is a wonderful school for academics. The professors are extremely knowledgeable about the subject they are teaching and are always willing to answer questions. They will push you to do your best, this school is not for those who want to party and/or slack off. You will really need to work to do well here. The small campus is ideal for those who want to focus on academics, however there is still plenty to do on and off campus in Houston with friends such as the zoo, museums, and the galleria, which are all close by.

Sorry Can't

I would have given zero stars if I had a choice. This Houston Bad University has merely a touch of respect. There are so many things to hate about this university. It's more challenging than Rice, (I transfered, and now I attend) which I never heard HBU being the ivy league of the south. I will point out each department, which sucks about this university. First LIE they tell you, it's a gated community. There is a side entrance on both 59 Freeway, and Fondren leading to the UAC for a gate that doesn't exist! Thus, not secured as they tell you. There are too many rules with the dorms, which you can't have opposite genders in your dorm before/after a certain time (It's college, you're kidding) you can't limit my life. The codes on the doors for security is released to everyone, and there's no RA to monitor it at night anyways. Anyone can break in and out. (It's already happened) Things at this school may seem safe, but that's because HBU doesn't release any information to students to be aware of surrounding, and pay attention. (Look it up, two males raped a girl) They care about reputation, not you. They only want your money, (btw it goes up every semester). Do you have a scholarship? Don't feel too special, everyone gets one, and we'll if it wasn't for that, no one would come here. (Note: After the scholarship is applied, that's what the tuition should be for, but they want to make you feel special.) There is only a Chick-fil-A selling smoothies, Coffee, salads, sushi, soda/juice, Java City (It's basically over priced coffee like everything else here) Positive note: They have good scones, muffins, cookies, and such, lastly they have the POD (Provisions on Demand) they sell the same thing Chick-fil-A sells except they also have like burritos, and more snacks. Do not eat at the cafeteria (the Baugh). There is a positive confirmation of hair in your food, burnt food, undercooked food, oh and btw the supplier also supplies prisons. The Hodo (upper-class men residence hall) has card swipers at the door for "security" supposedly, you're supposed to swipe, in order to get in after hours. This isn't true, don't listen to nonsense. It's for decorations to say they have such nonsense. The library is a nice place, I'd have to admit, the downstairs being an interactive student environment to do group projects, and for white noise effects. The actual library is upstairs, however, it requires an ID or TexShare card to be admitted. There is an ASC (Academic Success Center), there are tutors there to help you with your essays and homework. Most of them are pretty bad, I would've gotten an A with my original says my professor when I showed the previous one. There are no events on campus ever. There is only convocation, which happens about every day if you think about it. Which brings me to my next case, they require CLW points, they are kind of like church going points. You have to have 80 before you graduate. They have A and B group. All 80 can be from A, but only 50 can be from B. They limit B which is actually participating/talking, and A which is just listening, and everyone is on their phones/sleeping/talking/homework anyways. Going back to events, this school maybe non-profit, but it goes towards the president's house (he lives on campus) and the gardening the wife so loves. They mow grass, and plant trees almost every other day. Events are campus are scarce, unless it's convocation related. The university doesn't care about its students, just the money they get from them. It takes a week for changes to occur, once again, I go to Rice, so I'm used to the fast-paced turnaround. The Career and Calling department doesn't even know their policies!! Long story short: there are three catagories, and you can only work a limited number from each section. ABC Btw, I had to go to three different places to find out this information on, they are the ones who deal with Work study is their department, and they are supposed to handle every part of it. They didn't even know the answer to my question, it's as if they didn't even understand what I was saying!! Like what?? The school is supposed to be on their 10 year plan of 10,000 students, and we are on the 7th year... We haven't gotten anything done since then. Financial aid staff is extremely polite. Cashier's office, not so much. (On that note: HBU had money taken from the safe at the cashier's office... Some security going on here) Food truck is only once a week, and sometimes it doesn't get scheduled correctly by SPB, so it doesn't come. You have one truck a week, can you get a simple thing right? Micro-managing school, you can't put posters around campus unless it's approved by Stu(pid)dent Life. You can't advertise personal tutoring, renting a room, selling a class. The bradshaw fitness center is the "rec" on campus, I say this because they open the center to the public, which was previously owned by University Place, the senior living home. Anyone can go to the fitness center, therefore, you might be jamming to your music around a bunch of elderly people which may not like your loud popped out music. There is ABSOLUTELY NO night life or party scene, unless you go to three tunnels Laptop check out No copier on campus for four cents You have to go to computer lab, then scan a file, log in and print Cheating You won't make friends because there is no place to hang out and meet people, you only know people in class, people always go home since there's no place to hang out But the higher-ups running the school are VERY greedy, and so they put a stop to any petition or demonstration that questions them and/or their management. They genuinely do not care about the opinion of the students Too much Christian talk even though, it's a English and history class Everyone is in your business and most people on campus are close minded. They believe what they believe and what they believe is correct and if you think other wise you are just a big idiot. Not many people are on this campus after a certain time. In between classes the campus is empty. School has clubs and organizations but there really isn't much to do sometimes during the week and especially during the weekends. FYS CLASSES limited to particular order for only fall and spring Housing, on campus food, student involvement in allocation of funds, and the genuine care for each student at the University are all severely lacking. They automatically charge you for parking, since they want to guarantee your money firdt Christian theology is taught in every class you go into, every paper you write will be about virtues and morality, professors will shame you for disagreeing, students will simply ignore your opinions. They are so self-absorbed and do not exude Christian values in any way whatsoever, especially the President's office. They need to be comple My school has a really strict policy regarding relationships and showing affection in public The school may be Division 1 (D1), but they lose at every game. Our football time is weak, but it's young. No team wins at anything. They always lose, and the school spirit here is nonexistent. I mean I don't even see blue and orange anywhere on campus. You want people to support your sorry team with no colors. Maybe if, you idk gave more giveaways for students, or literally anyone, they would like the teams more. The staff is rude, cold, and not helpful, they are only interested in the money - not the success of their students. The entire University basically shuts down on weekends leaving on campus students without any resources. Good news about this school after my rant: it's much easier for me to answer questions when there aren't a 100 student in a giant lecture hall.

Ariel

Although our campus is not one of the largest ones, I value its quality over its quantity. At HBU the class sizes are similar to high school class sizes, which makes it extremely easy to get to know your professors or get the one on one help you need. Since HBU is a religious school the professors often pray for our success and genuinely care for the students. On campus there is free tutoring and counseling if needed. The students here are generally nice and helpful. One of my favorite things about HBU is that there is always some type of social event going on and students are informed of those through a weekly newsletter. The school also often offers informational sessions on topics like financial literacy and workshops that help students with their resumes. There is a huge spiritual life on campus as well as multiple sororities and fraternities. Overall, I love my school and I am so thankful to be here!

Tyra

My overall opinion of Houston Baptist University is that it is an exceptional school. I love the close-knit community, the diversity, and culture on this campus. Everyone knows everyone, and even if they don't know you they greet you with a warm smile and a cheerful hello. I'm very grateful that HBU has great faculty and staff who are willing to participate in class assignments, motivate you, and pray for you! My professors are really passionate about their specialized areas of expertise and are big on developing personal networks with each student. In most classes, our professors prefer to be addressed by their first name, which is really cool! What's even better is the fact that they know your name! I appreciate how much students are encouraged to be involved with decisions taking place on campus and in their college department. Before a new professor is hired, students are usually asked to sit in on a demo lecture and submit a helpful survey afterward. I always feel involved and comforted at knowing that help is just a text, call, or email away. I feel confident in my decision on attending HBU. This is hands down one of the friendliest campuses that I've had the privilege of attending.

Endyah

HBU is an amazing place to be. If you're looking for a place to help you grow closer to God while also receiving a top-notch education, then this is definitely the place you want to be. The professors and staff are willing to help you with anything you need, and they definitely care about your well-being.

Even though it can be very expensive without financial aid, I would not have chosen a better school. I love Houston Baptist University; it is small but full of diversity. One of the things I love about Houston Baptist University is the classroom settings. On average, no more than 25 students are enrolled in a class. This gives us, students, the opportunity to learn more directly from our professors. The professors are loving and caring; they genuinely care for their students' success!

Anthony

Houston Baptist University is a wonderful place to attend school with many learning oppurtunities. The school itself is very protected and even have mobile apps you can download on you phone in case of emergencies. The staff are very nice and extremely easy to work with, and the teachers are super flexible with their hours so it makes easy to get extra help. Although sports is not big at HBU, there are mnay students who like to meet at the HBU Bradshaw fitness center and plah sports there. The school is very diverse and I love going here, I'm very excited to be strating school again.

Anabelle

Overall the campus is very pretty. The campus is full of friendly people. There are many things to do but we make it work. The school is big on academics but there are plenty of resources for us to use to succeed with all of our study's. It's a good school to go to.

Darian

Houston Baptist is a great school to attend. It gives you that big school feeling but the classes aren't that big. So you have a better chance to connect to your professors. Also mostly everyone on campus is friendly, if you ever need help with anything they aren't scared to help you.

Veronica

It's a very nice, small campus with awesome professors. The classes are smaller than other universities so professors are more available to students which is great. However, there's not much to do on campus if you get bored and the parking situation is terrible because there are so many commuter students. Overall, it's a good place to focus on studying and there's lots of help available whenever you need it.

Abigail

My view of my campus is that is it was wonderful place. There are so many wonderful professors and students to connect with in and out of the classroom. They always greet me with a smile, especially in the music department. Then the classroom sizes are fairly small which leads to a safe space for discussions and more quality connections with the professors. Overall I am just blessed to be going to this school.

Bianca

In the beginning I wasn't sure how i would fit in to Houston Baptist University but I can honestly say that it has been the best decision I have made. Since being here my relationship with God has gotten stronger and I've grown so much as a person. The facilities available to students are great and the professors are amazing. the campus is beautiful and there are always activities going on so you can meet new people and grow as a community.

Timothy

It's a very small school with around 3000 people in attendance. I enjoy this because it allows me the have real relationships with my professors and advisers. The on-campus housing allows you to interact with many different people and make fast friends with all the different actives happening week to week. We host stuff like game tournaments, discussions, and even held a debate during the election in the lobby. Overall it's a good school with plenty of things to offer and I would recommend it to most people.

Christina

HBU has alot to offer, I feel as if I made a great choice in choosing this as my university. At first, I only came to this school because of their nursing program, but once I was accepted into the school and into the program I didn't know that the school was capable of alot of things. Very diverse, each major was known and heard, there was greek life, on and off campus housing was great, food was good, libraries were quiet, and there were a bunch of opportunities to study abroad. I also like how our school was Christian-Baptist based, as I am that myself, and it definitely made me want to reignite my spiritual well-being. The only downside is that is a little expensive since it is a private school, but other than that I would definitely recommend this school because they have a great education system and an awesome faculty and student to faculty ratio.

Alma

I don't like it one bit. After one semester I will now be transferring to HCC where the classes are much cheaper and there is more university experience. Friends are hard to make, the school events are activities are mostly only for people who live on campus because as a student who lives of campus I know nothing of what happens, I just go to my class and then go home because it is that boring. The prices are extremely high and they make you pay for a mandatory class which is not fair since we could be using that money for a class we actually need. The financing office are bad at their jb, I owe the school 8000 dollars and I could be owing a 1000 less but my fafsa won't go through and it is such a hassle. HBU, Houston Boring University.

Karina

Houston Baptist University is an extraordinary institution in which I feel at home because everyone is like a tight-knit family. I recently finished my freshman and it was an amazing experience. I have seen growth in all aspects of my life including in my academics, in my independence, and in my personal life. I am now more aware of the friends I chose to spend time with, how to study, and what it takes to become a responsible adult. Houston Baptist University is a great place to find people who truly want to see you succeed. I would recommend living on campus because it allows you to meet more people and get involved. However, even commuters have many opportunities to get engaged. Houston Baptist University is expensive, but is worth it because you find your calling, your long-life friends, and your passions.

melissa

It is a very safe and accepting campus, and is a home away from home for me . The professors are great and supportive, and try to help as much as possible to someone that needs it. They are also currently building up more and more for new and improving majors, and shops and food places around the campus as well.

Houston Baptist University is a great school, I am so glad and grateful to be a student there. Ever since high school, HBU had been my dream school. Now that I currently attend this school I love it even more, I love the campus, the classes and the professors. Overall HBU is an amazing university!

This is an amazing school, even if your not a religious person you can still benefit from attending. The environment in place here is to motivate a sense of family and community. The faculty are very supportive and understanding, I found out I had cancer the second semester there and my teachers worked with me and prayed over me while I was in the hospital.

Koriyan

Houston Baptist University is a wonderful school. There are so many organizations that one can join to become involved. An in intellectual/academic atmosphere, spiritual, or athletic way. Also, I like that the campus is small because it gives us students an better opportunity to interact with teachers. Overall, I feel that attending Houston Baptist University will help me grow spiritually, intellectually, and socially.

Candy

It is a peaceful campus with lots of opportunities to grow academically and spiritually. The students and staff are very friendly with a strong support system. There are many opportunities to grow as a leader at Houston Baptist University. It is a great university with many nearby places, and year round events to help balance the social and academic lives of students.

It is truly an amazing campus. All the faculty and staff are very inviting and actually care about all the students on campus. Together we are a big family and community through Christ. HBU is a wonderful place for students to get a higher education that will help us be successful outside of college and in the real world.

Breanna

Although I am a commuter and have little opinion regarding residential life, I have found that this educational institutional has provided an environment that fuses together both academic and spiritual education. This university's relatively small classes, has also provided students with the opportunity to form a connection with their instructors as well.

Mi

The environment is very welcoming and everyone is extremely nice, and always willing to help. The staff is always there when you need them. The campus however, is pretty old, and not as updated as it could be, but the people are amazing. The professors are very helpful, and you will definitely find where you belong, and make great connections.

Joseph

I am currently a freshman on campus and I've been around long enough to know the facilities and overall view of HBU well. From the library to the fitness center, there are plenty of areas for students to hang out around and to enjoy the scenery because since the campus is small pretty much everybody knows each other and news spread around fast. News are often displayed on the TV monitors at the main buildings as well as people chalking the news onto the sidewalks to spread the information. Also the education from the professors are top notch because they professor take the time to get to know each individual which in turns helps us students learn better in class.

Brianna

I love the campus so far. I have yet to complete a semester since I am an incoming freshman but I've had the privilege of sitting in on a couple of fantastic classes. The campus is not suffocatingly small but is by no means a large campus giving it a sort of cozy feel to it.

Erin

HBU has a great faculty and staff who is always willing to help! The professors really care about you and your education and because of the small class sizes they are able to get to know you really well. The only thing that I find really wrong about HBU is the on campus food. When we have visitors on campus the food has taste and is edible. Usually during lunch is when we have these visitors. Other times the food looks good but is tasteless, cuts the roof of your mouth, and is overall disgusting. The Baugh, run by Aramark, likes to put on appearances when people come to visit, but in reality it is truly the worst part of campus.

chris

Overall HBU is a good school, it may not be the most exciting school, but it has been there for me and has helped me learn many experiences. Adulting is not an easy thing to transition to, but this school is so friendly and very helpful, they are even considerate. Although you might see that this school may not have the best sport teams, the best academics, or the stereotypical college life experience, I feel like it's a great place to go to school and grow as a person. There is always clubs and groups, and of course since this is more of a religious and conservative school, it may not always be "lit", the campus is small as well with few attractions around the area, but take it from someone who has completely seen how this school is like: HBU is a great place for those who don't want to go somewhere big, crowded, or too hectic. If you like the peaceful scene and small village like vibes, come here, you'll feel at home. Much love and good luck!

Jocelyn

I simply love HBU. Its close to home and campus is not too small or too big either. Personally, I think it was the best choice for me because it keeps me close to family and friends and being in my hometown what more couldn't I love about it. The professors are great and they push you to your full potential which might be stressful at times but it will pay off after graduation. For the campus itself, it is beautiful and very calm. At times you might even be lucky to see our cute husky(puppy) mascot taking a walk around campus. It really is a great school and I'm so glad I made to choice to be part of the HBU community.

Milagros

HBU is very genuine and you can tell the students are the #1 priority. While on campus I feel at home even though I have not been there for long. In addition, there are many services available to the students and there is plenty of activities to do!

Houston Baptist University is an OK school. Its location is not in the best place. The food is not all that great. However, the food is getting better since they opened up the Shipleys and Chipotle, and Salata. The class work is very hard, so be prepared to study, especially science.

Sandra

Overall, I like Houston Baptist University. One of my favorite things about HBU is the class sizes-- they're all relatively small (about 30 students in each class). Due to the small class sizes, students have better opportunities to get to know each other as well as the professors. In addition to this, HBU offers a completely free tutor center for most classes.

Danielle

My overall opinion of Houston Baptist University is good. I love the small, high school size classes because the students get too learn better in a smaller setting nd actually get to know their professors rather than a 100 plus class. The campus is small, but you get to know the other students pretty quick seeing regular faces on a daily basis.

sarah

I really like how the campus looks as a whole and how helpful all of the stuff is, I am extremely grateful to be getting an opportunity to study there. There are also so many activities and groups that I could join and my fellow freshman are so welcoming.

Melissa

HBU is student-focused and prides themselves on helping students grow academically, professionally, and spiritually. The campus is very safe, and accessible to many near-by restaurants and hang-out spots,. The professors are always available when you need them and the class sizes are nice and small so that students are able to become familiar with their fellow classmates and professors. As a commuter, I don't know much about HBU's resident life, but I have heard mostly good things about it. Other than the unexceptional cafeteria food and little amount of on-campus activities available, I have heard it 's a pretty nice place to live. My experience at HBU has been very positive so far. I have never had a problem regarding academics or campus activities. Overall, I would recommend HBU to other students whose focus is to gain a higher education in an environment where they are accepted and supported.

Alexis

I love Houston Baptist University, from the first visit i knew that was the school i had to go to.

Angel

I love HBU Its amazing . I would have never thought I would love my school that much. It brings joy to me to go to school at one of the best schools ive been too. Everyone there are so helpful and we all love the atmosphere i just amazing . I would courage anyone to attend HBU. GOOO Huskys

Jaelyn

As pricey as Houston Baptist University is I’d expect more from this campus from the appearance to the education that’s being paid for. If interested in nursing this school is not the best choice and I’d advise to look elsewhere. The nursing department as a whole has a lot of problems that needs to be fixed if they want to see any improvement starting with how they treat student nurses .

Juliet

Houston Baptist University is a great school. The students are taught academically and Morally. The lecturers are always willing to impact knowledge on the students, the school provides them with the equipments they need to teach limitlessly and they are always available. The school environment is always safe. I feel at home when am in the school.

Nevate

I loved attending HBU. The faculty were very involved, we just needed more diversity. When I left they were starting their football program and their basketball program was great in past years. I worked on campus in residence life and they were committed to making it a safe environment for the students. Hodo previously known as the Lake House is probably their best housing facility. I loved the high ceilings and while I was there were floors dedicated to Greek life and honors. Most students were able to find roommates they were able to get to know and bond with. I did not particularly like the cafeteria food, but I am a vegetarian. The campus is about 15 minutes away from the galleria area where students can shop, eat, and get involved in the social life. This was definitely a plus since. I also enjoyed the diversity outside of the campus. There were nearby places where I was able to eat Indian, Caribbean, Italian, and even Ethiopian food. I love to try new foods, so this was a huge plus for me. The ability to access professors greatly depends on the department. I was as a student in the psychology graduate school and I found that a lot of my professors were willing to meet with me if I made an appointment. They were also willing to help me after I completed my degree by helping me to land jobs in the Houston area. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at HBU, but it was very expensive. I would definitely encourage you to have a plan for funding if intend on enrolling.

Denisse

In my opinion they are trying too hard to be Baylor, however, I rather enjoy the community atmosphere created on campus. The student to professor ratio is one of my favorite things outside of the staff and faculty being extremely involved in student life.

Samuel

It's an unbelievable magnificent school with a lovely society and helpful staff. After one campus tour, it was my number one school to attend in the future. I hope everyone who experiences this campus falls in love with it as much as I did. Even if you're not Christin they love all Gentiles and Jews and have a great nursing school and other fantastic endorsements that brought successful people.