Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

Tammie

I think that Howard is a wonderful University that is centered on progression and success while alowing students to get a glimpse of the capitol city and the world we live in, while introducing and indulging in the various parts of the different African American diasphoras, with a mission that is focused on developing the students into leaders for the future and in our local and global community .

Before I came to this school, I wish that I would have known more about the African American diasphora as a whole. I am learning so much that I dont know about, simply because I come from a place that is focused more on diversity, rather than getting to know the person that I look at in the mirror everyday. It just appauls me to know so little about my ethnicity, however, I am glad that I have the opportunity to be educated on a level that contains no bias at all. In the classroom we are all one.

The first form of advice that I want to give parents and students alone, is to be prepared. It is very important to do things ahead of time so that spare of the moment decisions are avoided. To the parents, I would suggest that they have a financial plan. Make sure that the school that is chosen is affordable for them. Furthermore, make your child your priority. It is important for students to have a strong foundation to stand on because this is the transitional period into adulthood. To students, I would encourage them to decide what it is that they would like to do in their profession. They should do a little research before college, so that they can make a plan, pick a major and minor, and get out of undergraduate as soon as possible. Additionally, chose a college that is not only affordable, but best for their major, for that will take them further in their carrer. Finally, I would like to say, try your very best and enjoy your experience. College should be one of the best experiences of their lives, however they must realize the importance of success. Stay positive, hardworking, and never give up!

Chantel

Howard University is a great school for our future leaders to grow. I've never been to another campus where the students have such a thirst for knowledge that they will create their own student-led class (Howard's Educational Revolution aka H.E.R.). I love my school, the student body, and the many extra-curricular activities and opportunities it offers.

Anyone who wants to learn about themselves and blaze their own trail through life in the process.

When finding the right college, go on college tours, but don't just follow the tour guide. Stop some of the students walking around campus and ask them how they feel. Often their opinions will help you decide whether to attend that school or not. As for making the most of your college experience, live on campus freshman year. Mix and mingle with people you normally wouldn't speak to and get involved on campus. I guarantee you'll make friends that'll last you a lifetime.

Dannah

The momentous event will be highlighted by the Annual Family Reunion Yard fest, which is a two-day celebration where Howard students, alumni, friends, and celebrity guests gather on the main quadrangle to network and celebrate in the Howard tradition. Known to for bringing out the entertainment and music industry?s A-list celebrities( Ophra, Obama ex.), Howard alumni Sean ?Diddy? Combs is primed and scheduled to host several parties during the course of the celebrated weekend.

My advice choosing a college is first look at the degrees the college has to offer- major, minors(quality/reputation/ranking). Faculty contact, classes taught by full-time doctorally qualified faculty. Then possibly find out how the community is, whether its urban, country , how far the school is away from home. Also safety around campus- off campus. Private or Public?Accreditation? Class sizes? Next, down to the important factor, financial assistance packages ; cost of tuition including meal plan and room and board. Housing options (dorms, apartments, living at home) . A campus tour before making the final decision, will be able to give you the reality experience of the: campus resources ,student body ,social life ,Greek organizations, sports, school spirit, religion ect.

With such a diverse student body, it comes as little surprise that life thrives on the Howard University Campus. If you do not like particular interest ? culture, religion, sports, art, music, theater, politics ? you will be assured of linking up with others who share it; then you do not belong at Howard.

Atiya

It's not just a school, it is a familyof people working together to achieve the same goal-education

My classmates are always there when I need them and help the long classes fly by.

Howard University is an excellent school choice. One can really learn about themselves and others in the close knit environment. The teachers reward excellence and the students strive achieve that reward.

Maurice

Closed minded, unfocused people should not attend Howard. People who want to do nothing but party all day and night will not do welll.

As far as college goes, You don't pay to just go to class and study. You pay for the entire experience. But college can be as memorable or miserable as you want it to be. College is trully what you make of it.

The People who work in the Finance department.

Nicolette

My school is best known for their revolutionary acts against racism, and the misrepresentation of the black community, not just in the United States, but also abroad. Howard has a rich and heavy history. It is a historically Black University built to educate and gear great opportunity towards the black student, and it still does so today. Howard is always on the frontline when it comes to issues of descrimination amongst our people, and when any student enters Howard University's gates, they are instantly obligated to uphold the morals and character of great black men and women.

In order for any student to find the right college they must first answer the question "am I fully ready to take care of myself?" If answered truthfully, the student will know just how far away from home their school should be. A student may not always know what major they want, or what path they would like to follow, but as long as they are able to recognize where their strengths and weaknesses lie mentally, socially and academically, they will be able to locate a college that fits their personality. Comfort and a sense of belonging are key in selecting a college. Without the proper balance of these factors, any student can fall prey to homesickness, depression or alcoholism ultimately resulting in what can be a detrimental affect on ones grades. However, once you've arrived at college it is important to experience new things, and new people. Never delve too far outside of your comfort zone, but reach a little beyond your "personality box" and grab hold to something that you feel may enhance your life, and your spirit while attending this school. Know your morals and principles, and never stray too far for enjoyment.

I wish I had known how hard it is to finance college. As a student that is barely making ends meet due to the price of tuition, and low financial aid awards, I find that it is easy to become financially overwhelmed and burdened due to the sticker price of a private university such as Howard. I wish that someone would have forced and pressed the importance of finding scholarships and grants so that the majority of financial obligations could be taken care of, and so that as a student I would better be able to focus on my schooling.

Anais

Howard is a fun, entertaining, keep-you-on-your-toes kinda school; no matter what, you can't prevent yourself from being dragged into the various activities on campus, or from becoming some type of entrepreneur*; everyone is a businessman/woman on HU campus.

It is very important to VISIT the college before deciding to go there and to also talk to students who are CURRENTLY attending the school. Also make sure that it is an atmosphere that you are comfortable in, and also that it is a place where you would not mind spending FOUR YEARS or your life, or more, living in.

The students are the best thing on campus because WE make the university what it is; we are its representatives and we give it its street cred.

Quionna

When choosing the right college, it is best to assess exactly what it is you are looking for in a school. Before choosing a distant school make sure you're ready to be far from home. Most importantly, stay focused on what you are in school for. It is important to enjoy yourself but the main goal is to recieve an education in order to better your life and the life of those around. We are the generation of geniuses. Stay on track and don't get distracted.

The type of person that shouldn't attend Howard is the type of person that procrastinates. If you are the type of person that likes to put parties and friends before school and schoolwork then Howard is not the place for you.

Before I cam eto this school I wish I had known that as a chemistry major it was not wise to try and work while at the same time on a very rigorous class schedule. I wish I has known just how hard the curriculum is for a chemistry major and how much it takes to stay on task.

Sasha

A person that shouldn't attend this school is if they do not have a lot of patience. If an individual is not ready to deal with the financial aid or administrative building then this is not the school for them.

The advice that I would give students and parents about finding the right college and making the most out of it is to first, find the college that makes you whole inside. If a person does not go home after the feeling that they are not complete if they don't go here then it is the right college for them. If a student feels that they could be at another school never ever settle. Also by making the most out of the college experience would definitely be to join clubs and organizations and get to know some of the staff. Sometimes the administration will have your back in the end. As for parents, because my parents dont support me, the best thing for you all to do is support your child. If you can't afford to pay out of pocket then try to do a PLUS loan with them. Students will appreciate it more in the end and if they do get a good job, then they are more willing to help pay it back versuses a parent that completely shoved them off. Overall that sums it up and good luck on your college search.

The most frustrating thing about Howard University is financial aid. I know that almost all students will have their individual problems about financial situations, but I wish they were nicer about it. I am sitting in my dorm room right now for another defeated day with financial aid and I have no idea how I will get the money to stay here, but I just wake up in the morning and try again hoping that maybe something good will come through because even though I am a dependent the parents just dont want to help.

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.