Normal, IL
Illinois State University

Video courtesy of Illinois State University.

Founded in 1857, Illinois State University was the first public university in the state and is one of the Midwest’s oldest institutions of higher education. It is a coeducational, residential university.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

My school is everything I could've imagined and more; it is my new home.

My school is everything I could've imagined and more; it is my new home.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would be sure to tell her to value her time with her friends everyday and not to stress out as much. I would tell her to go into freshman year as a blank slate; no expectations of how life will be there because she will undoubtedly be wrong. My main piece of advice would be to take chances. I would remind her that, although she is there most importantly for an education, without taking chances and being herself, she won't get the full experience. Risks, chances, and exploration; that's what college is really about.

If you don't enjoy being around large amounts of people, Illinois State University might not be the school for you.

Illinois State University is the perfect combination of the lagre school feel but the small school atmosophere. The is a lot of school spirt and everyone loves to spred the red. Illinois State is the perfect school for everyone.

I would like to tell myself that it is not that important to go to the same school as your friends. I know that i have been with them since kindergarden but that doesn't mean that we have to go to the same school. You make so many new friends in college and you shouldn't be worried about making new friends. I would alos like to tell my self that it is important to take my school work seriously. I wouldn't take blow-off, easy classes senior year because that makes the transition to college that much harder.

The friends that I have made here at ISU are all so very accepting. We come from very different places but are the best of friends. There is nvery any judement, and it is alwasy a positive place to be.

Kimberly

Research opportunities and a focus on community service.

Research opportunities and a focus on community service.

Research opportunities, career guidance, support for furthering education past undergraduate degrees.

In high school, I viewed college as an impossible dream I could never achieve. I felt it was not in my future because I struggled with anxiety and my parents had never gotten degrees. If I could talk to myself or others from similar backgrounds, I would say the following: "Reject the notion that your background makes you less capable than others. See college as an investment into a life you could only dream of having without a degree. Trust me, it will make the cost less terrifying. Get involved, because extracurriculars and volunteering will lead you to your purpose in life and will pave the way for you to fight for your dreams. Never be ashamed to discuss where you come from, because those conversations will open the door to endless possibilities and life-changing relationships. Do something out of your comfort zone each week, because these experiences will change who you are and challenge you to grow as a person. Volunteer for leadership positions, because they will prepare you to change what you dislike about the world. Above all else, never give up, because every hardship is worth it when you walk across that stage on graduation day."

Katie

If only I could go back and help my high-school self plan for college. I would tell myself that college would not fix everything, let alone did I know the stress of paying for it would send me back home after a semester after not being able to afford a 4-year instituion any longer. All the problems fell in the right place so that I wasn't able to get a loan because no one could co-sign, and I didn't qualify for enough financial aid. In the end I had to leave my new college friends and nice professors to go to a community college. If I could go back, I would save myself the heartache and attended a community college from the beginning. It doesn't matter if that's not the "popular" thing to do! That is the most logical thing to do. If I had, I would be in a lot better place! College is a place to get an education, and today the best option is to choose the most affordable one.

Chris

the place that is provinding the opportunity to provide for my famlily in the future.

If I were able to, one thing that I would definitely tell myself is to get a job in the summer. I knew college was expensive and all, but I had no clue how expensive everything really was! The old saying about appreciating the value of a dollar really does apply in college. Another tip I would give myself is even though we might not like it, you're going to lose some good friends when you go off to college and sadly there isn’t much you can do. Sure, when first semester begins your going to keep in contact with your friends from high school, but overtime people will start going off and begin doing there own thing which is okay. Sure we don’t like losing anyone, but that just provides the opportunity to let new friends into your life. And the last thing I would say is that no, you don’t know everything. Once you go to college you’re going to make some mistakes and get embarrassed from time to time, but that’s okay! Were all human and humans make mistakes. So just keep your chin up and keep on strutting your stuff.

the gen-ed classes being so big its hard to meet new people.

William

Illinois State University is a really good school to attend for business majors and about decent for other majors.

I would have told myself to spend more time on learning how to study efficiently. I would also tell myself to be involved more with the community and spend less time by myself. Also, I would have told myself to search for more scholarship opportunities in order to not have to spend as much on tuition and fees. I would have also told myself to put my course work first and then spend time having fun instead of putting the work off to the last minute possible. One last thing I would have told myself would be to keep the ties I had with my high school teachers. Keeping those ties I had would have been helpful with some of the classes I had taken as the teachers at the university weren't all that successful in teaching the material.

I wish I would have known the amount of foreign speaking teachers in the Mathematics Department.

Laila

My classmates are diverse, young, friendly and willing to form study groups even if the course doesn't require group project...

My classmates are diverse, young, friendly and willing to form study groups even if the course doesn't require group projects.

Laila, it's your senior year and time to prepare yourself emotionally for the next phase! When you get to college you should know that a lot of students have some of the same feelings that you do. It will be sort of like your first day of high school when you were trying to figure out where your locker was or which floor your classroom was on. The difference at college- you will be looking for buildings, the library and maybe the cafeteria. But just like high school there will be that one person willing to help you figure it out. So, don't think you have to have everything figured out to fit in because that person that helped you find the library will probably end up being one of your good lifelong friends. Just one more thing, don't forget to have fun and enjoy this time, four years will fly by bery quickly! Sincerely, Laila

Students that are willing and able to make friends within diverse groups should attend this school. Also, students that are adventurous and also feel comfortable being by themselves if needed should attend this school.

Paige

There is nothing wrong with Illinois State, but take college as an opportunity to travel and go away from home. Don't be scared to have new experiences. College is hard to adjust to, but stay strong in what you believe in. Don't let it change who you are. Get used to school your first semester, and then make it a priority to get a job if you can afford the time. Make sure you make time for friends, and dating if you want. No matter what your major is, you need to make time for yourself. Enjoy the moment you are in and don't rush your senior year. You might actually miss high school once you leave. Appreciate your parents, when you go to school you will realize how much they do for you. The freedom is amazing, but the responsibilities can be difficult. Do the best you can to stay close to your family at home, not matter where you go. Do research about what you want to major in so you don't waste time or money.

The rec center and the fact that my random roommate turned out to be my best friend.

People don't take athletics seriously.

Rebecca

For the education program, Illinois State University offers a year-long internship called "PDS" (Professional Development School). With this program, you are granted a full year as a student teacher, interacting with two different grade levels. You are in the classroom 3 days a week at a minimum, and you take your senior method courses at whichever site you choose to be located at. There are several locations spread across the Chicagoland area, and a few in central Illinois, making it very convenient to choose a place to live when considering this program.

I would say to myself: do not doubt your choices. Stick with your gut decisions, because you know that you will make the best choices that you can for yourself. College is a time to worry about your identity and yourself completely, and it should not fall upon your shoulders to correct anyone else's mistakes but your own. While it may be difficult, it is important to learn how to choose people to call your best friends. There are many people in college that you will meet that will try to tear you down and dismantle you. Keep your head high, move on, and do what is best for you. Use your time in college to find yourself, and find those who truly make you happy. If you are not happy, move on to a new chapter of your life; do not dwell on the past, as it will only create heartache and distrust.

The best thing about Illinois State University is their helpfulness of their students to push them to think deeper and work for their grades. The courses that I've taken for my major have push me to think on a more intellectual level, rather than just memorizing concepts that I feel will not be useful in my career. I do not feel as if I have had to "waste" my time on courses that do not pertain to me or my career. I have felt on-track all of my four years here, and have had a great ride.

Illinois State University's ranking in the 2013 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 156. Its in-state tuition and fees are $12,726 (2012-13); out-of-state tuition and fees are $20,016 (2012-13). The student-faculty ratio at Illinois State University is 19:1, and the school has 31.7 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students. The average freshman retention rate, an indicator of student satisfaction, is 84.5 percent.

Illinois State University is known for the quality of teachers that graduate from the school. The research high school is a great opportunity for future teachers to learn, apply their knowledge, and attempt new strategies before entering into the work force. For the sciences, the research facilities are top of the line. Each professor is well-educated, published, and professional. A few of Illinois State’s notable alumni went on to become famous television actors, such as Jane Lynch, who stars in Glee, and Laurie Metcalf, who appeared in Roseanne.

If I could speak to my high school senior self, I would make a few changes before heading off to my future. I would spend more time looking for scholarships. I would have decided upon a major other than teaching because seven years after graduating, I am going back to school to change my major and career. I would advise myself to stay in the college band more than the freshman year. I would tell myself to stay away from a few specific boys and focus more on my sorority sisters. I would tell myself to spend more time studying in my junior and senior year of college instead of taking on too much to handle. I would also tell myself to eat healthier and exercise daily.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.