Bethlehem, PA
Lehigh University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lehigh University

Ana

My fellow clasmates range from drunk geniuses to eviromental political machines.

Dear myself from the past(which is now currently the present), Take adanced placement calculus. Do not quit pre-calc in the summer. Do not change anything else. Relax, and enjoy life. Senior year will have its ups and downs but it will be memorable to say the least. Do not slack off in English at th end. Regards, From future self in 2010. Yes, you have become quite old. P.S. You can dissregard all this if you'd like. I'm quite happy with how things are now. It would just make life a little bit more sweeter than it already is.

I consider the worst would probably be the stairs, too many of them.

Kelsey

My classmates at Lehigh are brilliant and driven students who enjoy success and are willing to work hard for it; however, many of them are slightly misleading about how focused their career path is, they let on that they are more certain of their future job than they actually are.

Hands down, the most important advice I would give my past self is to be positive, be open, and don't make assumptions about people and situations until you have adequately experienced them. Though I feel like somewhat of a flounderer as a double major in the liberal arts at Lehigh, where most students are math, science, and research oriented, if I could do it again, I would make the same decision of matriculation. While I've had to fight for respect among my peers, that effort has made me a different person. I still find some classes unsatisfying in the areas of thought provoking discussion; however, I've taken them as challenges. Initially I was disappointed, but since I have recently decided to take my own advice, (be positive and open) I am not only learning the material but i'm also learning how to take in subject matter differently, as well as how I adapt and perservere in new and different situations. The only thing I would advice my younger self to do differently is to be open to the change initially, and allow the evolution of the self to take place.

There is not a specific type of person that should not attend Lehigh; however, if a student is interested in hands on learning or deep discussion (from day one) in the humanities and social sciences he/she will have to work to find those opportunities. For this student most of his/her entry level classes (taken for the fist two years) are often unsatisfying, impersonal lectures.

Jeannette

Lehigh is challenging, innovative, competitive, expensive, and on the side of a mountain.

I would advise going to a larger school to have access to a community with more resources and opportunities for work, being involved with the community during school, and living a more normal life.

There is limited access to outside world.

Seth

Lehigh seems to be just the right size in my opinion. It's not too big but it's big enough to have the resources of a much larger state school. Where I come from in rural PA must people aren't very familiar with Lehigh. The people who know it are impressed I'm going here. There isn't much of a college town at all. You kinda have to be careful depending where you go off campus. It's a big contrast to the campus where there's a lot of money. There's a fair amount of school pride. Sports events aren't that well attended other than the football game against Lafayette which is awesome. Personally I like the campus being on the side of a mountain. It insures that I get some exercise everyday.

Kids who don't come from wealthy families, such as myself, are in the minority here. However, that has never been a problem for me when it came to making friends or anything else. People wear pretty much anything to class. There is a lot self-segregation by minorities and international students. However there's no nothing stopping those groups from hanging out with everyone else, it's just what happens. There's a good mix of political diversity on campus. I'd say people in general tend to be conservative on economic issues and liberal on social issues.

Come to Lehigh if you want to go to a prestigious school in the northeast but can't get in to the Ivy's. Or if you can but want to go to the best private university in the country for partying. Especially if you're an engineering or business student. Or it you want to go somewhere where you won't gain the freshman 15.

Kinda, Must people come from rich families. There aren't many minorities. But there are a lot of parties. Everyone is pretty nice however if you don't go here I could see how students might come across as snobs.

Other than the big freshmen lectures the professors learn your name. It's normal to see people studying in the library and study lounges until two in the morning. It's cool that you can have intelligent conversations on almost everything with almost everybody. Students are always ready to help each other when it comes to homework and projects.

The frats are a big part of student life at Lehigh. In the beginning people left their doors open but now they're typically closed. If I'm awake at 2 on a Tuesday I'm probably studying or watching comedy central or playing super smash bros with people. Every year we race beds on wheels, have a huge bonfire, and generally go crazy the week of the Lehigh Lafayette football game. You can find a party every night of the week but you also will have problem finding people who don't want to go out that night or in general.

David

Outgoing and fun to be with, yet some of the smartest that I have ever met

Outgoing and fun to be with, yet some of the smartest that I have ever met

Just go where you want and don't let region or other people influence you. While in college remember to study, but still have fun, too many burn themselves out.

It is a place where you can earn a good degree and still have a lot of fun.

Minu

It's fairly small which created a more communal vibe for me than other schools did. I believe the undergrad totals around 8,000. I know my class of '12 has around 1250 students in it. For people who like familiar faces without feeling claustrophobic, Lehigh is a very good fit.

There?s a lot of advice I could give prospective freshman and their parents. The most important would have to be, RELAX. The choice of college is not one that is binding nor is it this stressful process we feel we must make it out to be. Colleges are businesses; they want bright students to bring them wealth and fame. It is what they hold inside that matters. The truth is that wherever you go, you will be fine if you take good care of yourself and work to your potential. That said, you should aspire to find a community that could push you past your potential. It is where you go that will determine how you discover yourself; the kind of person you are or the kind of person you would like to be. College is a journey of self-enlightenment influenced by your peers, the faculty, the surrounding community, and the experiences you create together. There is no right college, it is what you make out of the resources you are provided with. Granted, you should make sure the resources you require for your intended goal are offered, but other than that, the rest is up to you.

The most frustrating thing would have to be the campus. Its absolutely beautiful but it happens to be on a hill, quite a pain until you make yourself get used to it.

Alyssa

My classmates are very intelligent people who know when it's time to work and when it's okay to have fun---and they do both.

You have to pick a college that fits you. Don't pick a school based on where your best friend is going or what your parents want. You need to find a place where you feel comfortable, where you can see yourself living and learning for four years. Go on tours, talk to current students, get in touch with the faculty and staff there...they'll help you make the right decision. Once you've picked a school, my best advice for you is to just put yourself out there. Try something new that you've never done before. Join a club that they didn't have at your high school. Play a club sport. Talk to people. It's important to move outside of your comfort zone. If you do that, you're more likely to meet a diverse range of people. And don't forget that, while your primary reason for attending school is to learn and get a degree, it's also okay to have fun! Find a balance between your academics and your social life and you're going to have a wonderful time.

My school is a beautiful place full of awesome people, and it has an amazing choral arts program. Our football games are so much fun because we're all so full of school spirit. It's a wonderful place to hang out, party, learn, and get ready for "the real world."

Chaucy

We are known for having a huge greek life. We are known to have a great time and work hard as well.

Comfort. That is the key when choosing a college. It is all about the feeling. I walked onto Lehigh University's campus, and after fifteen minutes, I said to my parents, "I could do this everyday for four years." I looked at 30 schools, and the one I chose, I ended up not even taking a scheduled tour on the campus. My family and I did a self-guided tour. I found myself walking ahead of my parents, and wanting to know what was around each corner. If you can picture yourself walking to class on the main walkway, and doing things WITHOUT your parents than that is the college for you. College is about independence, and growing up. Look at too many colleges. I have seen too many people just settle on a college. DON'T SETTLE. "Okay," is not an adjective that you want to describe your future college. Find a college where you smile when you tell people about it. Try to many things, and meet too many people. College is not just about an education. Find a place where you can expand as a whole person.

It is very centered around the greek system. If you are not greek, there is not much to do, since it is a very small town.

Chris

great job placement, tough academics, greek life, wrestling

great job placement, tough academics, greek life, wrestling

Go to a school where you think you will learn a lot, get a good job after graduating, and fit in socially

the social seen, no matter what group you're in, you'll find people who alike the same kinds of things you do

Alison

My classmates are competitive, smart, driven, and will work hard, even for a class they don't like.

My advice to parents and students regarding their college search would be to take your time and focus on all aspects of a school. Don't get hung up on one detail. I was determined to go to a school in a big city, so I applied to several without taking the time to really learn as much as I could about each. During your search, take into consideration class sizes, availability of professors and advisors, and whether problems will be resolved quickly, in addition to on-campus organizations and residential life. Find out whether studies are flexible, so that if you want to change your major, it would be easy to do so. Lastly, realize that even if you don't end up at your first choice, you can always turn your college experience into something positive. I didn't love my college choice at first, but I found friends with similar interests, and discovered my passion in life along the way. College is what you make it, so find one that will challenge and excite you.

While the strong presence of Greek life on campus is great for some students, it can be extremely intimidating for those who aren't interested in it. The social life of the school almost entirely revolves around Greek parties and drinking. Those who don't enjoy partying several times a week can be made to feel outcasts unless you develop a strong network of friends who feel the same as you do. The school is also quite racially homogenous and a little unwelcoming of anyone different.

Lehigh University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.