Maryland Institute College of Art Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Maryland Institute College of Art

beans

I had high hopes for the Interdisciplinary Sculpture program, only to find it is a waste of money. First, they make you take a bunch of pre-requisites to use the studio, even if you’re experienced. Most of these are complete BS and a waste of time. There is also no permanent department head, and the program is a mess. Second, the studio hours and facilities are terrible for the price. The wood shop is actually a classroom, so if there’s a class in there, you can’t use it. The metal shop is located in a hallway used to get from one side of the building to the other, which is the dumbest location for a metal shop I have ever seen. They also don’t provide any materials. But the worst part is the sculpture shops are open only 20hrs/week (2021). Half of these hours there are classes in the shops and you cannot use them. Although the building is open until 12, the sculpture studio also closes when the shops do, so you can’t work. And it’s open only 4 hours at a time, so by the time you set up they tell you it’s time to clean up. When complaining, they tell you to buy your own tools, or get a membership at another studio. Well, what the f**k are we paying for then? The teachers are pretty average, nothing special. I have met better at community college. The academic classes are a joke for the most part. There are a couple of academic teachers who actually care, but for most academic classes the rigor is literally elementary school levels, and none of the students even try let alone care. I’m honestly not sure what I’m paying for here other than a piece of paper. At least the gym is nice. In short, if you want to go here for sculpture, save your money and go elsewhere until they get their shit together. I honestly got more out of community college, which is sad. Also, Baltimore is a shithole.

Overall, MICA is a solid college choice with a strong focus on core classes, but there are some important factors in determining it's the right fit. The facilities are well-designed, but many of the options, such as campus dining and housing, need improvement in quality and price range. First, a lot of the reason I knocked off a star was for price - many of the students in MICA's community are funded by their parents and it's not a problem, but students who have varying financial situations will find the astronomical price tag hard to swallow. Second, MICA's marketing can be misleading if you're expecting a safe, quiet campus with quaint shops. MICA's location in Baltimore City is not at all like the pictures of Hampden and Fells' Point that are in the brochures, and those areas are not very accessible by foot. It's not as dangerous as some areas of Baltimore, but the dynamic of having visibly wealthy art students in a less wealthy neighborhood often causes conflicts such as theft (particularly of personal property like phones), carjacking, and armed robbery. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. Housing: I do not recommend Bolton Hill for off-campus housing. There are other neighborhoods nearby that provide quality housing at better prices. Check for pests such as mice. The temperature of the community is almost entirely very liberal. More conservative students can have a hard time feeling welcome. There's a strong presence of students who are introverted and very focused on their work, and a smaller culture of students use hallucinogens and party drugs and skip class. Coursework is very rigorous, but the people who are passionate about their subject of study don't mind. It's often overwhelming, but has the potential to really further a career. MICA might not be for you if you work more than one job, need to dedicate a lot of time to being social and going to events, or if you have chronic illness or other time-consuming obligations. The 6-hour classes aren't very forgiving in terms of free time or absences.

Bridget

Without MICA I would never be able to have a such an experience with like-minded people. The facility, professors and students work hard to make my education worth wild. The school is a truly a community that helps you build as a person and artist.

Estrellita

While things aren't perfect, and I have only been a student for about 10 weeks here at MICA, I gotta say that things are going pretty well. The Baltimore area can be intimidating a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean things are terrible. The school communities are an awesome part of MICA, both with students and faculty. Maryland Institute College of Art is pretty good so far.

Victoria

It is a great school and has many great facilities. Faculty and students create a very friendly environment and make you feel very comfortable. MICA has a great printmaking facility as well, most impressive is their Globe Collection and Press shop. It is a fairly small school so don't expect that "typical" college experience. But if you're not looking for that, then you'll definitely enjoy MICA.

Olivia

Going to The Maryland Institute College of art has been a wonderful experience for me so far. Even though the course load can be heavy, I feel I have already learned a lot, and have bettered my artistic skills. The one thing that I really appreciate is their connections with businesses, that they use to supply us with jobs and internships. Even when I graduate, I feel that this school will have helped me.

Kevin

Maryland Institute College of Art's campus boasts modern, accessible studio facilities that allow students to explore themselves as artists and individuals while attending the college. Aside from the student body, the faculty at MICA are the highlight that sets the college apart from other art schools. The faculty are knowledgable and respected in their field of work, helping their students to better learn their major and field of study.

Anna

If you're looking for a serious education in the arts, look no further than MICA. The workload is admittedly grueling, and studio classes are six hours long. This means you will not get out of class until 10 pm most nights. Work turnover can be really brutal, and in some classes you're expected to create a new full piece once a week. The work is hard, but you are in an incredibly encouraging environment. The teachers at MICA know how to push you to your best potential, and your peers are (for the most part) very encouraging and helpful. There isn't too much an air of harsh competition, but you are definitely surrounded by peers with incredible skill, and it helps give you the push to work your best as to not be left behind in the dust. The First Year Experience is a little rough, with some BS classes you have to take. I would recommend transferring in, if only to save money and to take as few FYE classes as possible. Every program at MICA has its merits and great opportunities, except for the Product Design program. It's in its first years and it is terrible. The classes are bad and the chair is incompetent and cruel. No matter what, don't do Product Design at MICA! It's an incredible waste of time. I found myself stagnating in the program and the Product Design community is incredibly harsh and competitive, which is really strange because the rest of MICA is very kind and community-driven. I ended up switching majors after realizing I would rather die than return to Product Design. The administration at MICA is distant and shoddy. If you have money issues, they won't be very helpful. They can often be disorganized and they don't really seem to care if they mess things up for you with their disorganization. The food at MICA is pretty bad. The main dining hall, Meyerhoff, is inedible. It's okay for the first month of the year, and after that, it's disgusting and probably violates health codes. Cafe Doris and Glace Grill are good, but there isn't much food variety. If you're okay with living off of (admittedly, pretty good) paninis and curly fries, you can do just fine eating at those instead of ever stepping foot in Meyerhoff. Despite the shortcomings of the school, MICA is great. The education I've gotten at MICA has been incredible and unparalleled. Graduates of MICA are always incredibly successful, and you'll be excited to know that many of the top dogs in the art world teach at MICA. I have teachers who drive in from New York and Philadelphia to campus every day, because at day they teach, and at night, they're doing gallery and studio work. I feel honored to e mentored by so many successful artists! The community at MICA is great. For the most part, everyone is very kind and fun-loving. Most, if not all, students are somehow involved in campus life, and there are always events to attend. There are a few bad eggs here and there, but they're easy to avoid. It's very easy to find a good group of friends that are encouraging and creative. I think the friends I have met at MICA will be my friends for life. I cannot recommend MICA enough. In the short time I've been here, I have completely grown and changed into someone hardworking, successful, and happy.

You will receive a great education at MICA. All professors will know you on a first name basis. The downside to the school is the social life. There are not many clubs and there is not much of a variety to them. They all revolve around sexuality, diversity, or cosplay. Everyone is very liberal and there will be an organized event to go protest around the city every weekend since the current election. You cannot get through a class with politics being brought up.

Jenny

At MICA, I can say that we are blossoming artists - all working at our own pace. The community of artists is probably the best among art schools. There is no toxic behavior on campus and everyone insists on helping each other. It is an environment that I appreciate because it in turn helps me develop as an artist. Although it is small (about 2000 students) , that doesn't stop the school from pulling its weight and standing out amongst art schools. People may complain about the (infrequent) robberies occurring in the (gentrified) neighborhood and the sometimes poorly-cooked food, but those are things that wouldn't be able to be helped in other schools in other cities with large populations of people. I think my school is lacking in funds ultimately to help the students become more globalized, interdisciplinary artists. But I personally think that it is doing great, and will certainly do better in half a decade or so.

Alejandra

My time at MICA has been an enriching experience. I transferred to MICA from a state school and was very happy with not only the change in scenery but what I perceived to be a change in education standards. I found that students and teachers at MICA are genuinely happy to be in the classroom doing what they love, something that was lacking at my last university. The dorms are generously sized and yes there are a few improvements that could be made but you have everything you really need: shower, toilet, full kitchen, sofa, table, bed, dresser, and closet. The campus is located in Baltimore's Art District and the walk to class is never more than 15 minutes. I have heard about some crime near or on campus, but most has been late at night and the victim was walking alone. The dining halls are well located and provide reasonable accommodation for Vegan, Vegetarian, and Kosher needs. My only complaint so far is that tuition is so expensive, but for those in need MICA is generous with scholarships. Overall, a wonderful school, fantastic faculty, and a funky student body.

Alania

Good environment to make art, people are generally nice and helpful, classes are informative. Could use work in terms of diversity and inclusion. There aren't a whole lot of things to do off campus that are close, so be prepared to take the shuttle or Uber. The freshman housing is really nice for the most part, each student lives in an apartment style dorm.

Robert

It is an incredible community of creative people who in the majority support and encourage one another to succeed in their art forms. The classes are geared toward an expansive range of academic and artistic learning that challenge the students. The work load is taxing but it is satisfying to look back and see how much you've accomplished in the amount of time that you have been working.

Sydni

As an aspiring artist and Animation major, I wished to attend a school with a clear artistic focus, a wide variety of classes, and a creative, inclusive community. The Maryland Institute College of Art (also referred to as MICA) meets these expectations and gives me more than I had initially expected. As a freshman, I feel as if I have learned an astounding amount of valuable and relevant information in just a single semester. Each of my professors have taught me skills that will forever help me improve on my artistic journey. The wide range of classes from sculpture to game design encourages me to experiment and push my boundaries as an artist. My peers come from a variety of cultures and backgrounds, and as a community MICA is very close-knit and inclusive. Areas of improvement could include transportation and counseling services, but overall I believe the Maryland Institute College of Art is a great place for me to form a professional, artistic mind and begin to share my creativity with the world.