Middle Tennessee State University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Middle Tennessee State University know before they start?

jennifer

If i were to advise myself as a high school senior, I would look at Community College first. MTSU is a good school, the administration and FIN Aid depts are overwhelmed! First gen students should never be left on their own in the college situation.

Skyler

I would tell myself to look at as many career opportunities as possible and look up early the requirements it takes to get into a desired college. I know if I told myself to just take high school more serious, or take more AP classes, or get better grades, I probably wouldn't take myself serious. I heard it all the time that I needed to push myself as much as possible, but I never got out of my fantasy world because I always thought it would be ok and I would be able to slip by in college like I have in high school. But if I knew the requirements it would take to get where I want to go and knowing the consequences of my high school experience, I most definately would've take high school more serious. As a senior I should've visited colleges and taken advantage of every opportunity my high school had to offer to make the next step into continuing education. I also would've job researched better to know the field I wanted to go into so I knew better what college I wanted to attend and the requirements necessary for it.

Ruby

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school self, I would tell myself first and foremost that I was an idiot for not taking AP classes while I had the chance. I would explain to myself that even though the classes would have been hard, that the classes would have counted as college credits that would have shortened the time in college and lessen the financial aid debt . Another piece of advice I would share with myself if I could go back in time would be to learn how to work hard and play hard. I would explain to myself that I should find that balance between getting your work done and then enjoying yourself and what campus and college life has to offer. In finding that balance, it helps to keep you focused and on track to accomplished your educational goals.

So you're about to graduate and as the date quickly approaches, you may think about how you will soon take one of your first colossal steps into what adults like to call "The Real World". First of all, stop, breathe, and take a look around. Those 800 or so soon-to-be graduates have just as many worries and questions as you do, despite how prepared they might seem. "What am I going to do?! I have to pay for this; I have to sign up for that!" So get ready to put on your big girl pants and take a step into the unknown because I'm about to give you some very important tips. Number One: Follow your dreams! You know you don't like blood, so why entertain Dad with the thought that you're going to be a nurse? Number Two: It’s ok if you don’t understand! That's why the school website has every professor, administrator, advisor, and office email/phone number listed! Don't hesitate to call! Number Three: It’s college not prison, so get involved! Take a class just because you think is cool! Make the best of it!

No matter how shy or scared you might be, talk to the guidance counselor. She will talk with you about anything you are worried about. Ask her to direct you to a career aptitude test becasue you have no idea what you want to study in college. You really don't know what you'd be good at either. You may think you want to be teacher but aren't sure. You don't have lots of experience with children because one bad experience frightened you away. Don't let your boyfriend take up so much of your time because he may end up determining your identity.

AuDarius

I would start off by taking my town in choosing the school. I will always tell myself more studying.

Crystal

Study and do your best! Don't assume you can go just retake a class and it wont matter later.

michael

You need to make friends in your classes because these are the people that will be going through it withyou. They will be your support system. Meaning if you don't understand something you need to turn to others including your teachers to help you through it. Taking school seriously is more important now than ever before, now not only do you have family and friends watching you to see if you'll make it through but you're paying for it as well. Paying for it myself is making me more responsible for my education. I feel like going to school is helping to build my self-confidence and think about the consequences of my actions more. I think more about my future and the kind of life I want for myself and my family. I want to be able to tell my kids the importance of furthering their education because I know firsthand the difference it makes in a persons life.

Giulietta

I would advicel my high-school-self to begin to prepare for college as soon as possible. Being smart is not all there is to it. You have to be organized and prepared; always plan ahead; keep up with what is coming due and anticipate what you should be doing next. You can make the grades, but that doesn't make you stand out; be outgoing and confident. Know that you are worthy of a finer education, and work hard so that you will inherit what you worthiness has gifted you. Finally, for goodness sake, pick an interest! It's fine to be interested in many things, but decide what you want to be an expert in! Then, go become the authority you know you can be!

Timothy

Now that I am nearing the end of my third year at Middle Tennessee State University, I can catalogue all of what I have done and effects thereof and criticize them. The first bit of advice I would have to offer for myself absolutely must be to drop on-line social interaction. By this, I am not referring to social services, such as Facebook; rather, I am referring to myriad forums found scattered around for subjects and fan bases of all sorts. Person to person interaction is not even my true enemy. What absorbed my time was the expectation of new content on these forums. Conversations on forums are drawn out; any member of the website may come by and continue it, and waiting periods for responses are liberal. Hours can pass with relatively few responses, but that is all which is necessary to continue. As a result, my time was less available for other, more productive avenues, such as my newfound passion for the journey to being a polymath. The time could also be used with people with whom I can interact in real time and form meaningful relationships. As an aside, I would say, "Apply for scholarships. Now."