Middle Tennessee State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Middle Tennessee State University

There aren't many things to do on campus during the day, so if you have long waits between classes, your only choices are to walk around aimlessly or to go to the Game Room in the Student Union. There are many opportunities after classes, such as concerts almost every week and weekly movie nights that the Student Union puts on.

MaKayla

Middle Tennessee State is a great school. I received a bachelor's degree in May of 2020. I am currently going back to school for nursing. I attended a high school in Memphis and wanted an outlet, which made me choose Middle Tennessee State University. I really enjoy the campus and everything they have to offer. There are many different groups and organizations for campus involvement. Overall, MTSU keeps its grounds clean and beautiful. There is a lot of construction going on which is a downside. There was already not enough parking, so MTSU's bright idea was to put a building on top of a parking lot. Parking is generally terrible.

Destiny

I love the school and I would recommend it to anyone.

Tyler

It is a great school that keeps you busy and not bored, but is fun.

Morgan

It is a great school. There can be more options for people who have dietary restrictions. There can also be some more opportunities to participate in things like homecoming without being in a fraternity or sorority. The academics and programs are amazing, and every professor I ever had has been encouraging and makes time to help and listen to students. It is a school I would highly recommend.

Oladipupo

It’s one of the best and affordable schools in Tennessee. The faculties and staffs are incredible. The teachers are nice and helpful to students. The orientation is one of the bests Ive heard so far. Their resources are good but they could improve more.

Middle Tennessee is a place where if you want to start with the basics before partaking in art schools. It has a wonderful environment full of people from all sorts of backgrounds, and the college professors are especially the nicest people to talk to. While it wasn't really my first choice, I am glad to have chosen this university and hope it can leave a trail of memories once I graduate in my senior year!

Marina

The university as a whole is really nice. The campus itself is extremely beautiful. The students are all really nice and helpful. You can strike up a conversation with anyone and they’ll be happy to talk to you. There are a lot of different facilities that students can use. Also the variety of on campus food is amazing.

Erica

I would recommend this school for those who want a big campus feel in a growing city. Murfreesboro is definitely growing around the school, and on campus, remnants of expansion can be found in the amount of diversity, despite it's geographic placement in Tennessee. As a student going into Music Industry, there are several hours involved in my day to day schedule, however, there is help being offered everywhere. Whether it's mental help, tutoring, or advising discrepancies, there is always and office open with people willing to aid in understanding a my circumstance. Being away from home is always a large step in going to college, but with resources and a comfortable environment to reside in, getting used to college life is easier than expected.

Savannah

MTSU is a very diverse community where you can be walking to class and go from say hi to the star of the basketball team to waving to the girl you spoke to once in Theatre Appreciation two years ago. Though it is one of the largest universities in Tennessee it is still a very welcoming campus where people feel free to be themselves. The professors seem to truly care about how their students are doing in class and will go out of the way to help them as much as possible. I am lucky to be able to say a I attend one of the best colleges in America.

Robert

I'm actually an Animation major at MTSU, but I'll have to put graphic design since it's the closest to match my major. Middle Tennessee State University is a very large and busy campus. It offers so many choices for students to choose their path to their future. I feel usually safe on campus and I like the lively feel to it. The classes usually feel relevant and depending on the professor, they can either be very fun and education, or very drab and dead. MTSU is yet to really disappoint me with how they function for the most part. It's a great place to get the next step in your education started and I can truly say I don't regret choosing MTSU as my college.

Hailey

I love MTSU the overall vibe and interaction on campus is amazing. Your never left out when it comes to activities on campus! Everyone tries to get everyone else involved regardless if it is a club or class meeting. Also, the teachers are very understanding and will make time for concerned students. Campus is an amazing place to be even if you do not live on campus. For example, we have bonfires and hiking adventures! Its an amazing experience that everyone should attest for!

Darcy

Middle Tennessee State University offers great programs and has many opportunities. The majority of the faulty want their students to fulfill their dreams and career. There are a few bad apples in the faulty which you can find out easily. The school does cater to athletics especially football and students tend to party. It's a great school if you make yourself find the opportunities.

Dasia

Overall the environment and people are wonderful. The campus has a lot to offer and the academics are great. There is always something to look forward to on campus. The only thing that I would say that needs improvement is how the financial aid office is ran. Other than that this is a great place to call home.

Daniel

Overall, I think this school has a pretty good campus life. It's a commuter school, so on weekends and holidays the school tends to seem like a ghost town. For this reason, students might not be as connected as students at a larger university like UCLA, where more students live on campus than commute. However, there is enough on-campus housing to satisfy those who desire it. On the other hand, it is rather difficult to find parking despite the obvious need for it on campus, especially when special events take place at the university. On campus facilities and services tend to be rather convenient. The library is open till 2 A.M., and a few of the eateries are open late as well. The library is probably one of the highlights of the campus, as it has several sections perfect for various studying styles. It offers plenty of quiet space, fairly decent Internet, and many free resources such as unlimited printing and even 3-D printing. The library's Starbucks is also an added bonus and quite convenient, especially during late night study sessions. While there are plenty of computers to use in the library, if one so desires, they can also rent a laptop (as well as other equipment such as calculators and headphones) for four hour periods at the technology information desk. There is also a facility in the library for those with disabilities, and overall, the university is very accommodating toward people with disabilities, especially the blind. Since the campus is very flat and easy to navigate, many people with blindness come to study at this university. Another highlight is the recreational center. It is well stocked with fitness equipment, from dumbbells and cardio equipment to an upstairs track, rock climbing wall, and indoor pool. There are plenty of clubs and extra curricular activities to do, whether it be sports, Greek life, or skydiving. There is a little something for everyone at Middle Tennessee. Fall semester (and more recently Spring semester as well) has plenty of events for getting to know the campus, meet other students, and really get connected with everything the school has to offer. Probably two of the biggest selling points of the school are the recording industry and aerospace majors. While many choose to study at schools such as Belmont for music, for a fraction of the cost one can get a more music engineer-centered learning experience. In fact, many companies prefer graduates from Middle Tennessee State over schools like Belmont for music recording jobs, and many notable artists have studied at Middle Tennessee. Amy Lee, Dave Barnes, and Derek Minor to name a few. The school is also rather great for those who desire good facilities for the sciences. Equipped with a rather new science building, Middle Tennessee is well equipped for those in the STEM majors. Overall, Middle Tennessee State is a good school to study at, especially for those interested in STEM majors, music and music recording, and aerospace. As long as a student is willing to learn and make the most of their college experience, this university will treat them well.

Kayona

Middle Tennessee Sate University is a great campus to be on. Everywhere you look you see a variety of diversity. This campus provides great facilities for its students, as well as new and updated buildings to accommodate all student needs. This campus has a wide array of opportunities for any student to get involved. If you want to get involved in clubs, or sports, this campus provides a huge list of options to choose from. If you need tutoring, or extra help in a course, there are places to go to get help. Overall this is a great campus, and should be a number one choice for incoming students.

Jazmine

My overall opinion of Middle Tennessee State University is pretty decent. They offer us a lot of things on campus. The people are very friendly and helpful on campus, they are good references. I feel like Middle Tennessee is a great school just needs to spread events throughout the campus. Since I don't like in dorms I don't hear about any activities until its over.

Lori

MTSU is a school that is unexpectedly homey. I decided not to go to my first choice school, so In a haste I swapped to MTSU. To my surprise, The faculty and admission directors were really nice and patient with my lateness. At campus, it's not small but not overwhelmingly large either. The facilities and faculty is really nice here, everybody is really friendly and helps you out- if you need it,

Darshell

The atmosphere is great. Very peaceful and exciting. People having events that are big and entertaining. There are people who study hard and are great friends. The food on-campus is absolutely amazing. PANDA EXPRESS EVERYDAY! It's a really great experience and I hope others could experience it too.

Jesse

the academics are good, and there are definitely different ways to get to know new people and make new friends, but that's not always the case. Dorms are usually very small and uncomfortable to live in. The population is huge, so if your first class is in the afternoon, good luck finding parking.

Sherrese

" Do you need help?" " We can study together!" " Here's an easier way to do it." "Maybe you should go to tutoring." " Okay, I want you to succeed." " It's okay, you will do better next time." These are all statements and questions that you will overhear on the campus on Middle Tennessee State University. Everyone wants to help. Everyone wants to be an overachiever. You know, I never would have thought that people could be so gracious to give up their time of studying to make sure you understood what you were doing. I walk into the library and notice tons of work study groups. Thousands of marks on a white board showing a hard Calculus problem that I would probably die staring at. Multiple papers being typed and smiles being shown. I walk in a library and for once it is not empty. It's actually packed like a herd of sheep. It is quite amazing that students really want to receive the best education they can. You have so many opportunities to get involved. From leadership teams to golf teams to art groups, there is more than enough places to fit into. And if you cannot find somewhere that interest you then you can start your own. How neat is that? You have organizations that go out and give back to the community and go help younger children become successful. You have 'hackthons', art contests, karaoke nights, and even more events that go on when you join an organization. And you will feel like you have met family. No one is treated differently based on ethnicity, religion, style, race, disability, and beliefs. Everyone can look at each other and learn something from each other because everyone has something they can put on the table. The diversity is amazing. I love to meet people who are different from me. I love to learn more about lifestyles that I have never lived. MTSU has a lot of diversity. And it's not so much about race.. I am talking about diversity in hobbies, interests, religion, styles, majors, minors, voice, knowledge, creativity, and career goals. No one is the same. Every one is unique in their own way. I could go on and on about the good ole True Blue, but I think I've proven my point when I say... This university is the bomb. And I love my alma mater.

Tahj

I was worried about finding the right school close to home. After visiting MTSU I've came to realize that it is an amazing campus, and has a homely feel! A lot of campuses are to small or to large. MTSU is the perfect size and there is so much offered! I would recommend this college to any graduating high school student!

Summer

It was a great experience!

Asha

Middle Tennessee state University is a very diverse university that offers so many opportunities to their students. The students and teachers on campus are very welcoming and generous. There are always people around to assist you in anything that you need help with. During my senior year when I began applying for schools, Middle Tennessee State University was always my number one choice and I was excited that I was blessed enough to actually attend. I love my school and enjoy being a Blue Raider!

Abigail

MTSU is a great school for learning everything you want to know about any subject. There are a lot of great programs. The campus is incredibly diverse, and there is a friend around every corner. I love the library! it is huge and has everything you could need including Starbucks!

mihiret

I am a senior in Antioch High School, I like MTSU campus. It has many different fields and many benefits. This campus offers housing, scholarship and good qualification for new freshman student. In my opinion MTSU is a perfect college to explore more knowledge and to build a base.

James

Let me begin by saying that I did not want to attend college. College was not for me and I had lost my drive after high school. As soon as I started I fell in love with MTSU and I wholeheartedly believe if it was any other campus, I would have become a drop-out already. The professors are tough and challenging. They motivate you to think and actually learn. They make their classes important and worth while. Most importantly, I've had professors that legitimately care about my success and will bend over backwards to help me in every way possible. Its more than the teachers, though. The students care for each other and every class has the close knit likeness of a community. The things I've learned in my short time of attendance have already exponentially improved my skill set and creativity. My time here has not been time wasted! That's not to say MTSU doesn't have its problems, but I wouldn't trade my time here for the world.

James

detrayce

My overall experience at MTSU has been an enjoyable one. Initially, I planned to attend for a year and transfer, but that all changed after I experienced what Middle Tennessee State University had to offer. The professors are very hands on and want their students to succeed. They provide you with the tools you need to do well in the classroom and in life. The student to teacher ratio is low, which is helpful if you would like to get to know the professor. Professors set office hours throughout the week, so that they are more accessible to students, and they are always accessible by email. Student involvement is highly recommended by the faculty/staff. There are events planned by the university that are fun to attend, and they are free to students. Some of these events include concerts by professional performers or meet and greet socials. If you would like to get an education but still have a social life Middle Tennessee State University could be the school for you.

Infiniti

It is a great university with numerous opportunities. You simply have to take advantage of them. We have many free accessible services such as, free tutoring, mentors, understanding professors, reservable group study rooms in the library, and a wonderful state of the art science building that is open 24/7 for anyone! I absolutely love this school and I believe that I made the right decision to attend Middle Tennessee State University!

MTSU is a great school at an affordable cost. Parking is sometimes a challenge and McCallie's is not a great dining hall, but the housing is good and the campus is well kept and nice to look at. Classes have provided me a solid education! This is a great school for those who want the full college experience (many events are held on campus) but are trying to keep it within their price range.

Jonathan

Ever since I first entered high school in the year 2014, I had been searching for the best colleges in Tennessee for me as I was going into Engineering as my major in college. Not just that, but I also wanted to find a college in Tennessee that is affordable for the general public and offers a fair amount of scholarships and financial aid. So, during the spring break of March of 2018, I took a college tour to Middle Tennessee State University and I was greatly amazed by all of its features as it has excelled in many of the expectations that I and many others wanted such as on campus housing and security. Now, Middle Tennessee State University is now my most considered college out of all of the universities in Tennessee.

zakaria

Good school for the area.

Vilaykone

I believe that MTSU is one of the best colleges in Middle Tennessee, it's a fun place where creativity and individuality is nurtured and cherish, by most, the classes are fun and many of the professors that i've had knew what to do and really helped make an impact on me, many of the students are always looking out for each other, it's also a big campus so it's always a workout to be around.

Briunna

This is my first year going to MTSU in it is a wonderful school. I feel really safe on campus if I need help. The campus police officers will be there if I need them. They also have a great tutoring program in the library and also have fun activities for the college students. I hope we get a bachelors degree here at MTSU. I would rank this school as one of the top ten colleges at a number six.

Cassidy

It's a great school and I love being there! Has room for improvement for sure, but definitely a strong school, especially for media and entertainment studies. I think it would be beneficial for them to more deeply evaluate some of the professors, but I have had more amazing and impactful ones than I have had wretched ones.

Middle Tennessee State University is a growing, diverse school offering a good education. There is a wide variety of students as well as activities such as fencing, jazz band, Greek life, basketball, and forensics club. This wide variety allows students to find what they are interested. The overall community is very open and the communication between students and educators and administrators is frequently expressed pertaining to events. The education services are more than enough with the library offering a wide variety of sources. The school is well-known for specific programs of study such as aerospace and recording industry. Overall, I am proud to be an MTSU student.

Justin

MTSU offers great education and opportunities that I am attracted to. My overall experience in the school is amazing, and I love the education that the school offers that can help me with languages, diversity, and communications that can help me and all other students what we want to do after graduation. I am a freshman, and the amount of organizations there are, are remarkable. I am currently active in three clubs that promote diversity, and it is a very great experience to make. If there were not small negative details, this school would be a 5 star recommended school. Nonetheless, it is a school worth going to do to the amount of different students and organizations there are.

Abigail

I couldn't be happier with my choice in college. This is perfect place for any student, the whole campus feels like a big family! MTSU offers a wide variety of majors and minors to make it easy for everyone to find their niche. From the small class sizes to helpful teachers your academic goals are one application away.

Bolla

It's a great school, I actually mean it. Being a student there who is recently moved to the United States I feel like all my professors really show cares and love, even though I usually face some obstacles but there are tutors and it's totally free, I would highly recommend Middle Tennessee State University​ to all the international students.

Benjamin

MTSU is a fantastic school if you plan on an aerospace degree, the flight program is one of the best in the nation. There is always something to do on campus and there are plenty of options for tutoring. Campus housing is ok but could use some updating. The housing wifi is the same, at times it is completely unusable and most of the time it is extraordinarily slow. Campus food is the worst part, the dining halls are disgusting and there are little to no healthy options on campus and all of the non-dining hall options are all fast food that does not taste that great. But these besides the issue of limited food choice, the school is a great place to learn and prepare for your career.

Aiko

Middle Tennessee State University is a good school overall. It is growing and improving every day to provide a better experience for students. The majority of the professors are extremely helpful and really encourage their students to succeed. The campus is big, but not overwhelmingly so and there is no shortage of places to study or socialize. Our campus rec center is phenomenal and provides a variety of fitness activities. The tuition is a little pricey, but school in general in the US is expensive so that's not out of the ordinary. All in all, I'd say I really like my school.

Briana

I'm a Freshman and I really like it here at MTSU. They are very welcoming to their incoming students and treat us well. They could do better on the their times of closing for the food places but that's about it . There's nothing really bad to say about them.

Daniel

As an incoming Freshman everyone has been helpful in starting my first year there. There is a lot to conquer as the low man on the totem pole. There is alway a number that my mom or I can call to answer questions you think about or if you just need guidance for what direction to go.

Noah

MTSU is a good school, the teachers and staff are always open to help you, the opportunities to do well are many, and the people are fun. The campus is always clean and there are always events going on to help students get involved and make new friends.

Jordan

Like most places, middle Tennessee State University has its ups and downs. Looking at aesthetics, a lot of the newer building are really nice and the school loves to brag on its new million dollar science building, which looks like it was worth it. There's numerous extracurricular activities available on campus ranging from volunteer women's rugby to a nationally competitive debate team. There's plenty of places off-campus to go to after class or on the weekend, though the construction Murfressboro seems to perpetually be in may make the drive take a little longer. Overall it's a pretty nice school for an undergraduate degree student looking to get a diploma and have an inexpensive college experience.

Valarie

Middle Tennessee State University is a great school. It is not that expensive either. There is a good amount of diversity so you don't feel unwelcome. There is also diversity in classes that are usually stereotyped for certain people. The only downside is the old facilities. There is some new ones and they are constantly improving though.

Stacey

MTSU is a great university to attend. Students are very friendly and helpful to others. During the day one can see students reading outside, studying for test, some break dancing to music and in the food court having intellectual conversations or upcoming parties. The professors and advisors are easy to get in contact with and there to assist students when needed. Almost every week the university presents job fairs, sorority or fraternity campus information and events to attend during the day. Shopping centers and restaurants aren't far from campus for students to go and have a mini get away.

Hailee

The campus is so pretty. I love this schooligans and I am true blue. The teachers are also very helpful and actually care about their students' success. There is always tutoring available for your classes in the building you are taking the class and in the library. The resources are great!

I attended Middle Tennessee State University for four years and recently graduated in 2016. Overall, I give MTSU a four out of five star rating. The following review will detail a breakdown of how I arrived at this score. Attending MTSU is all about what you make of your experience. There are ample resources for student success, amazing experiences, and funding for studies. MTSU has some of the most beautiful facilities, including one of the largest Student Union buildings and a new science building with state of the art laboratory equipment. My favorite building on campus is the Honors College. MTSU is the only school in the state of Tennessee that has its own building for its honors program. I served as a tour guide for the Honors College during preview days for incoming freshmen, and many students often noted the inclusiveness of this building strengthened the program's appeal. In addition to these facilities, MTSU has an on-campus rec center, two parking garages, a pharmacy, post office, several restaurants, and a theater. Lastly, the most impressive building on campus, in my opinion, is the James E. Walker Library, which is a public library open to all Tennesseans. This four-story building has thousands of books, hundreds of computers, scanners, and printers, as well as archives and historical depositories. The library is an excellent place to study, as there are many group rooms and tables available for reservation via the online system. Academic opportunities are also plentiful at MTSU. I worked for the MTSU's Student Success Center as a tutor, which is a service provided to students for free in the library. MTSU has hundreds of scholarships for students of all ages, income-levels, grades, and backgrounds. Additionally, there is an undergraduate fund for research available for students who wish to pursue individual projects. Several academic conferences take place at MTSU, as the university is located in the geographical center of Tennessee and often hosts many events throughout the year in the Student Union ballrooms. Outside the classroom, MTSU has provided an opportunity for students to actively engage with their campus and community. Any student can start a club or organization; I started three clubs while at MTSU. In addition to a dedicated department working solely on student activities, there is an added benefit of available funding and resources for events. Sports are also a large part of the local community. Murfreesboro is proud of its university, and often fill the stands in basketball and football games to cheer on the Blue Raiders. MTSU has a very politically engaged campus. As a public university, many visitors come onto campus in order to protest "controversial" student lifestyle choices, such as alcohol consumption or drug usage, and harass students. In response, many students will often block the protesters and support students who are passing by. Moreover, there are several political parties actively involved on campus, one of which I used to lead as President. Student Government is a very crucial organization at MTSU, and they help allocate money and resources to clubs. MTSU is not short of its flaws. In 2016, a protest movement called for the removal of the ROTC Building's name, Forrest Hall, as it was named after a Confederate solider. The movement spent months bringing attention to this issue, and MTSU set up a committee to discuss the possible change. Unfortunately, these meetings were sometimes heated and racially-divisive, with even some people (non-student visitors) being escorted out by police. MTSU, as a large campus with over 20,000 students, also has its fair share of crime. Lastly, one of the biggest critiques of MTSU is the hassle of parking. Despite having built two new parking garages and adding several new lots, parking is always difficult and time-consuming. Ultimately, your time at MTSU will be exactly what you make of it. There are many opportunities available to the students and alumni, whether through academics, funding, or club activities. This is why I give MTSU a 4/5 star rating.