Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Malarie

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself to "be open to the possibilities". I think as a high school senior I felt as though I needed to know RIGHT AWAY what I was going to do with the rest of my life. There was this pressure to pick a path for my life and travel on it with dedication- and no detours. I learned quickly that, even though I thought I was dedicated to a certain path, life doesn't always allow you to follow it with precision. There are things that happen for a reason- socially, economically, spiritually, emotionally, developmentally, etc. Nobody but YOU can decide what the best path is for yourself, because nobody knows YOU better. I would want myself to understand that there are possibilities for every situation in life, and the paths for those possibilities are endless. Why confine yourself to just one path? I only have one life to live, many paths available for my feet to travel. I would like to leave as many footprints as I can, connect the possibilities of those paths, and be open to the possibilities.

The size of the campus and classes. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I first started, and being able to choose a variety of classes helped me narrow that down. Smaller class sizes helped me connect with my professors in a way that I don't think would be possible at a larger school. You are more than just a number and a GPA to them-- you are their student, and they want you to succeed and be happy.

The type of person who shouldn't attend would be someone who doesn't enjoy small-town life, spending time outdoors, and being involved in the community. They also MUST enjoy four seasons in a year- with more emphasis on winter and snow.

Leslie

Northern Michigan University is unique in providing a Senior Citizen Scholarship for those who are 62 years of age and older.

Fifty years ago, I was a married teenager, who thought that I could never go to college because my family was poor. That marriage was abusive and ended in divorce. I was not permitted to graduate with my class because I had become pregnant during my senior year. So, I had to wait a year to receive my diploma. I was forced to work because my son's father didn't support him. I remarried five years later and was a homemaker for 21 years. I could have attended college and received my degree, but I didn't feel it would be necessary. I was wrong. When I was 50 years old, I graduated Magna Cum Laude with an Associate's Degree as a Legal Assistant. Yet, I had a difficult time finding employment in the Lansing, Michigan, area. I became a certified T.E.S.O.L. instructor and have developed online learning Web pages to help internationals and refugees learn English. Although I am successful at teaching and tutoring I cannot be paid by agencies because I don't have an undergraduate degree. I am a 68 year old college student determined to finish with a baccalaureate degree.!

The univeristy has vision and commitment for being a "laptop" university; and, takes the City of Marquette, Michigan, a step forward iby becoming a wireless environment.

Matthew

When I began searching for colleges during my senior year I was overwhelmed. There are so many choices it was hard to decide where I wanted to go. My initial decision was to attend Adrian College where I was recruited to play hockey. Upon being recruited I was quick to make that my choice. However when I look back at that decision, it reflected my want to continue playing hockey and not my educational goals. I decided to transfer and found Northern Michigan University. The educational opportunities fit perfectly with my goals and not only would I be able to continue playing hockey but the geography of the area would fuel my passion for the outdoors. Therefore the advise I would have given myself would be to decide based on your educational goals. There are so many schools out there, there is one that can provide you the education you seek and everything else as well. Also take your time. By all means try to find the right school as soon as you can, but there is no shame in transfering or taking a year off. You are not stuck with your first choice.

I believe that opportunity is the best thing about NMU. There are plenty of options for internships no matter what your major is. The school is also very connected with the Marquette community so students are able to get inolved on several levels, not restricted to school programs. The professors are very helpful and personable as well, which is something I didn't get a lot of at my previous college. Aside from educational opportunity Marquette is a haven for the outdoors. There are countless things to do off campus to provide students with social and recreational fun.

Certainly someone who enjoys the outdoors and can put up with a long winter but that isn't all. I think that with the opportunities NMU provides its students, the type of person that should attend Northern must be motivated to take advantage of such opportunity. I think Northern is a good fit for anyone looking to be educated for a successful career and an exciting lifestyle. I came to Northern because I valued my education and believe NMU provides me with the best of the best.

Nichole

Northern Michigan University is unique in many ways. One that stands out to me right now is they are one of the only schools in the nation to provide there students with laptops upon entering the school. With this comes the advantage of testing on computers, fast e-mail responses, and a connection among all faculty and students. We can learn how to use technology to the fullest. Northern is also unique because it attracts many people from different areas of the country. We have kids from neighboring states that allows us to get a different perspective on life.

I graduated with a 4.0 from Charlevoix High School, in Charlevoix, Michigan. I was given the title of Valedictorian, but did not particularly rejoice this title. I was proud of what I had accomplished, but at the end of high school I regretted many of my decisions. I learned that life is far more enjoyed with a balance of things rather than an extreme of one, mine being academics. I focused so much on schooling that I didn?t no allow myself to enjoy much of high school and the experiences that many of my friends had. Now that I have entered college I have tried to find a balance between enjoying moments in my life while taking my education seriously. If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself to relax more and take things slower. I would say tell myself to stress less, yet give everything my all.

The best thing about Northern Michigan University is the atmosphere and surroundings of the school. The school itself makes you feel comfortable and at home, while Marquette is a great place to enjoy nature. On the weekends your options are not limited to partying and confined to the city life, but you can go hiking, camping, exploring, and many other outdoor activities that allow your mind to relax. Having the ability to enjoy the outdoors while attending a university allows students such as myself to find who they are in the world and obtain an education.

I would tell myself not to stress about leaving my family and friends. I will make some amazing friends my first weekend there and that they stick with me and support me. My friends and I do so much together and keep in touch over holiday breaks. I would tell past me that when I am at my college I am happy and that I feel like I really fit in for the first time. College isn't something to fear, but rather something to look forward to. The time there flys by fast and before I know it I will be wondering where the time went. The staff there is helpful and friendly and they genuinely want to see you make it in life. College is a good place for me to be and I start to call it home after a while. I would also tell myself to study hard and enjoy my down time with my friends. I would also tell myself to try new things, within a safe reason, because I am only there for a short time.

The best thing about NMU is that you are treated as an person and not just a number. There is a family feeling on campas and the people truely care about you. The instructors want to see you succeed and are helpful. There are many groups and organizations to participate in if you choose to do so.

The size and location of the college. The campas is not overwhelming in size and easy to navigate. From the very beginning you feel like part of a family or community.

Maria

The first two years we take liberal arts, so we are exposed to a wide variety of people with different goals, characteristics, and motivations. I am a senior now, double majoring in Business and Spanish. I have noticed that there are distinct characters within the majors. All of my friends in the business department are very driven and goal oriented. While all of the people I have encountered in the language department are very opened minded, love to travel, and enjoy learning about new cultures. One of the commonality I have noticed is that everyone here is really friendly.

Firstly, I would advice meeting with your adviser. If I would have meet with an adviser I would have taken my classes in a different order. I could have gotten my requirements finished for the department first, and worried about declaring my major later. I ended up taking a lot of extra credits before I finally made a decision, and that postponed my graduation. Secondly, when making any decision going with your initial instinct is always the best way to go. I always wanted to study Spanish, but I hesitated and didn?t declare my second major until my senior year. Planning early is also a good way to get ahead. I also recommend studying abroad at some point in your college career, but it is best to go when you have liberal art credits free. The only other thing I would change is my financial planning strategy. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and nothing was set aside to pay for my education. I ended up taking a lot of loans out to finance my education. My biggest regret is not applying for more scholarships and grants.

The one thing I love about my school is that you'll find people from a wide variety of backgrounds. Over the years my school has been recruiting students from other areas, and we have had an increase in international students, so it is becoming more diverse. All the people that I have encountered are very warm and excepting. My school is located in a small town up north, so I would recommend it to anyone who loves the outdoors.

Compared to other schools, Northern Michigan University offers a more well-rounded college experience for students. My school offers many academic opportunities such as work study programs, internships and study groups for students. In addition to academic opportunities, NMU has many extracurricular activities students can participate in. These activities include attending sports events, concerts and movies that are free of charge for students or offered at a discounted price. Northern Michigan University is also a great place for students to engage in activities outdoors such as hiking, camping, swimming and running. To put it simply, NMU has it all.

People told me that high school would be the best years of my life, but now that I have experienced college life, I realize that college will be the best years. I have changed a lot since entering college and I have experienced more in the first year being at Northern Michigan University than I did throughout all four years of high school. If given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself some different advice than the words I listened to back then. I would advise myself to get involved in activities on campus, to join a group, like the Student Psychological Association, and to not be afraid to open up to new people. Upon giving myself this advice, I would also remind myself to study hard and keep up with my schoolwork. When I was in high school, I focused mainly on the advice I received about getting good grades in college. My college experience has been great, but I wish I had gotten more involved with extracurricular activities earlier on in college because I realize now how much they have added to my college experience.

Northern Michigan University offers a variety of great opportunities for most students wishing to gain an excellent education and meet friendly, interesting people. If I were to describe the type of person who should not attent NMU, I would have to say that any person who prefers to be in an environment in which they can disappear into the crowd and become just another faceless college student should not attend this school. Another type of person who should not attend Northern Michigan University is someone who does not like the cold because in the U.P. winters can be rough!

Janelle

If I were to give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to start filling out as many applications for scholarships as possible because the less loans I have to take out the better. I would also tell myself to start applying for jobs on campus because it is very difficult to get a job as a college freshman and I will run out of money very fast. I'll tell myself to look for a second job while in high school so I can pay for whatever costs my financial aid will not cover. I would tell myself to start studying harder and more for each test to get used to the increased amount of studying that I will have to do in college.

I wish I would have known the Freshman Seminar class wasn't required for all freshman students. I signed up for a block of Art and Design classes in a program called the First Year Experience (that had Freshman Seminar in it) thinking I was required to take the class anyways. I wish I wouldn't have signed up for the block and had taken a class with 4 credits instead of that 2 credit one because now I have to take 18 credits in my next few semesters to catch up and be able to graduate in 4 years.

I feel that the worst thing about my college is the distance those of us in Art and Design programs have to walk in the middle of the winter to our classes. The sidewalks are very icy and never seem to be salted or sanded so I always have to walk very slowly to make sure I don't slip and fall with all my work. It would be nice if a bus was able to pick us up near the dorms and bring us to the Art building when it's below zero out.

Trista

I would give myself the advice to persevere. Transitioning and getting used to everything can be hard, but worth it if you persevere and make the best of the situation you're in.

It's in a somewhat remote area, so we do not have as many opportunities as some other schools might.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.