Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Darion

Northern Michigan University is best know for its Hockey Team. It is the only divison one team at this school.Also, compared to any other team, The Hockey team is also by far, the most successful.

The most important advice that I would give myself if I could go back in time, Is to practice the concept time management. I find that the more that i managed my time successfully, the more i could focus on my classes, and the easier they became. I believe with successful time management skills, the transition from highscool to college would become more simple.

The best thing about Northern Michigan University is the small classrooms. With this factor, it is more common for the proffesors to have more one -on-one time with students. This helps with leaning more information, and getting more of a face to face with the person that is teaching you.

Connie

My classmates represent my everything I've aspired to.

My classmates represent my everything I've aspired to.

Attending college is an earned privilege. Hard working students are recognized and rewarded. GPA is vital so do your very best but don't beat yourself up if your best isn't 4.0. You'll be able to demonstrate your dedication in other ways as well! Four years of undergrad work really does fly by so take advantage of every opportunity afforded you!!! It's up to you and you alone to make sure your fit is a good one. You'll know if it's a good fit or not if you're entheustiac about your studies and all of a sudden your closest friends are studying the same thing as you. ALSO, remember this, your college friends will grow up to be business contacts so maintaining supporting friendships can be beneficial once you're off on your own! Your college years will be considered a pivotal point in your life. Work hard; have fun and be safe. You're there because you earned it! You Can Do It!

The best thing about NMU is students access to faculty and staff. Once the student declares his/her major, the setting becomes more intimate and family-like. Cohorts and faculty are available to ensure success in program. Reaching out to administration is as easy too!

I would've told myself to relax and enjoy the changes ahead. I was so worried about moving somewhere new and making new friends. But once I got here, it was so easy. Everyone is in the same boat, the majority of us are new here and everyone wants to make friends. I would also tell myself to really focus in class and take a lot of notes. College courses are way different than high school classes. The help you need is the help you go out and find yourself.

I guess the worst thing about my school would be icey walk ways all around campus. I love winter, but it's so cold up here that it's hard to keep the ice melted.

The kind of person who should attend this school would be someone with a laid back personality, loves the outdoors, and enjoys a smaller school. Northern is a beautiful place in the u.p. and the majority of things to do around here are done outside, especially in the winter season. The campus is very small compared to other schools and it's likely you see the same people everyday. Marquette is definitely a college town, but the atmosphere here is very much so relaxed compared to down state.

Crystal

Date now; apparently guys don?t grow up in college. Don?t be so nervous on the first day. Never bring your backpack into the bookstore, they don?t like that. Take it easy your first semester, only take twelve credits. You?ll do fine with sixteen but your stress levels will be off the charts. Online classes aren?t for you. Come to terms with the fact that it?s going to take you five years if you plan to double major. Textbook requirements can change two days before class starts. NMU can rearrange your schedule without notification, and when ordering textbooks online for the bookstore if they are out of used books they will send and charge you for a new one. You?re not going to lose your ideals if you start wearing makeup. Don?t bother taking HS102, you won?t like it. Everyone calls the library the LRC. The best study hall is in Jamrich, the orange couch is the comfiest. Stop being shy. Raise your hand and participate, you?ll get more out of it that way. Just remember, when you get frustrated or stressed, just take deep breathes, you'll be fine.

Don?t be so nervous on the first day, no one else knows what they?re doing either. Never bring your backpack into the bookstore, they don?t like that. Take it easy your first semester and only take twelve credits. You?ll do fine with sixteen but your stress levels will be off the charts. Online classes aren?t for you. Come to terms with the fact that it?s going to take you five years if you plan to double major. Stop being shy and raise your hand in class.

I?d say if a person really likes big city life then they probably shouldn?t attend Northern Michigan University.

Mitchell

NMU is a spectacular college for active, engaged students that desire to have a university atmosphere, smaller classes, and still be close to nature; literally five minutes off of campus, you can find yourself in the middle of the woods.

To choose a school, especially if graduate school is in your future, that suits you in your activities and personality. It was only a coincidence tied to financial aid that made me come to NMU, and I was lucky that I did. Now that I'm here, I realize that NMU fits my personality and activities better than any other school I had previously considered. College provides the opportunity for an amazing adventure. You will be exposed to a wealth of different people willing to do different things. But there is truth in the concept that you will be happier if you can do the things that interested you before. As an example, I loved wheeling in my Jeep at home. Northern gives me nearly endless trails to wheel right outside town. The other two scools I was considering, LSSU and CMU, provided none of those. BecuaseI was able to wheel at NMU, I met a plethora of people that shared the interest of wheeling, and we created lasting friendships. I also have stayed happy, while still exploring new activities, and exposing other friends to the activities that I enjoy, that Northern enables me to do.

NMU doesn't have a giganitic variety of strong programs. While it does have a few programs, such as the teaching, nursing, and sports science programs, that are great, a few of their other programs, like philosophy or agriculture, are nearly non-existent.

Ethan

Everyone is friendly and all have different personalities. The students come from everywhere in the country so you get to find out about all the different places that you might go to visit someday.

The school has a beautiful campus and the great outdoors is everywhere. People are friendly and the town the college is in is quaint and the people are very accepting. Art is very much a part of the campus life and lets me focus on my career goals.

I would have worked harder in high school to get better grades and learn more about the realities of what I'm facing in the financial world. I would have taken the opportunity to take the college classes offered when I was a senior so that I could have been further ahead when I graduated. My parents pushed getting a job when I was in high school but I really didn't try very hard and I wish I would have saved more money so they wouldn't have to help me now with my tuition. All in all I wish I would have been more proactive in all the aspects decribed above!

Jody

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would offer myself an endless amount of encoruagement. Prior to attending college, it seems as if high school seniors cannot wait to graduate and jump into "the college life" and often they greatly underestimate its importance. They are fooled by the stereotypes and see an expansive social life and freedom, and at first, it may seem as so. However, there comes a point where you realize that what you do matters. So my advice would be to focus; focus on the things that matter in the long run rather than the things that seem to matter now. I would advise that you confide in the people around you for support. Do not fool yourself into thinking that you can do it all on your own. Ask your parents for help, your friends, coworkers, relatives, professors, advisors. These people are there to for you. Lastly, on those days that you feel you cannot do anymore, you can. You can finish that paper or keep on studying for that test; don't give up because the final result will be worth it.

A great aspect of Northern Michigan University is its intelligent and incredible faculty, especially within the art department. The professors that I have been privledged to know have been supportive and understanding. They are quick to offer advice and are eager to guide their students on their educational journeys. They go above and beyond their basic duties in order to guarentee students and satisfactory experience and a full education.

Prior to attending Northern Michigan University, I wish I had been educated on a variety of topics. First, I wish I had been told the importance of an advisor-student relationship and how keeping in contact with your academic support system only aids you on your academic journey. Secondly, I wish that I had been introduced to the vast amount of financial aid that is available for college students. I feel like I entered college with no idea that there were people and associations out there that offer help for students who are financially struggling to gain an education.

Eric

move out of state first and take minimum amount of classes, use the spare time fix your self as high school did quite a number on you. don't listen to your parents, your worth more than your father could ever know, and less artisticly gifted than your mother thinks. when you do move back, NMU is probably the best choice as much as people love to badmouth it. sit in the front row in class, yes i know the back is more comfortable and where your friends are sitting, and yes i know the laptop is shinny and has internet access, but you can chat on the internet and socialize with friends after class, its only and hour long, not that hard. also, STOP RUNNING! love isn't what you think it is, its not as dramatic as the movies make it seem. there is nothing wrong with alot of comfort and little sex. also your not the white knight, or the demon in the shadows, stop acting like it as you won't be able to keep it up. finaly its not as important as you think to know yourself just to be comfortable with it now.

DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS! your not as gifted as they told you or as worthless as they made your feel. leave michigan for a while then come back when you find your self, san francisco is very thereputic.

the city its in, there is very little to do out side of school that doesn't involve drinking or the outdoors, and there are no 24 hour bussinesses, unless your count walmart.

Malarie

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself to "be open to the possibilities". I think as a high school senior I felt as though I needed to know RIGHT AWAY what I was going to do with the rest of my life. There was this pressure to pick a path for my life and travel on it with dedication- and no detours. I learned quickly that, even though I thought I was dedicated to a certain path, life doesn't always allow you to follow it with precision. There are things that happen for a reason- socially, economically, spiritually, emotionally, developmentally, etc. Nobody but YOU can decide what the best path is for yourself, because nobody knows YOU better. I would want myself to understand that there are possibilities for every situation in life, and the paths for those possibilities are endless. Why confine yourself to just one path? I only have one life to live, many paths available for my feet to travel. I would like to leave as many footprints as I can, connect the possibilities of those paths, and be open to the possibilities.

The size of the campus and classes. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I first started, and being able to choose a variety of classes helped me narrow that down. Smaller class sizes helped me connect with my professors in a way that I don't think would be possible at a larger school. You are more than just a number and a GPA to them-- you are their student, and they want you to succeed and be happy.

The type of person who shouldn't attend would be someone who doesn't enjoy small-town life, spending time outdoors, and being involved in the community. They also MUST enjoy four seasons in a year- with more emphasis on winter and snow.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.