Natchitoches, LA
Northwestern State University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern State University of Louisiana

I would tell myself to continue on with my education right out of High School instead of working for 4 years and then going to college. I would tell myself that college is not out of my reach because of financial hardships; that there is help available.

Masaki

<Study> Put as much effort as you can into your studies in any field. You might think you’re not going to use that knowledge in your life after high school, but you actually do. The studies you acquire in college are designed to be built on the knowledge you have acquired in high school. Also, the process of learning gives you not only the knowledge but also the wisdom. It trains you how to think logically, set goals clearly, and gives you the power to be patient and never give up till you accomplish the goal you set. <Tell love to your parents> You will know how much your parents have done for you when you leave home and study in the college far from home. Instead of using harsh words, or not being nice to your parents, tell you love and appreciation BY WORDS and ACTIONS because they may not notice until you actually express it. It is not too late starting that after you left home, but much better if you start it when you are with them.

Justin

I went to Northwestern State University nursing school and all of the nursing professors are extremely helpful and willing to do whatever it takes for their students to learn what they are teaching.

The advice that I would give myself would be to always stay up to date with the current pre-requisites. Pre-requisites, especially for nursing school, are continually changing from semester to semester. In order to avoid taking the wrong classes, I would advise myself to establish a good rapport with my academic advisor. The academic advisor acts as the liaison between yourself and the nursing school in most cases, therefore their information is the most up to date. I would also advise myself to not take out any private loans. The private education lenders are definitely looking for prey to feed upon that will sign that $10,000 loan with ridiculous interest and fees. Instead of making the mistake of taking that easy private loan, I would advise myself to look for scholarships instead.

The most frustrating aspect of going to Northwestern State University nursing school was the parking. There were several times where I had to park in lots that were clearly marked tresspassing.

Jeremy

I think Northwestern is best know for it's academics, school-student involvement, and the city that it is in. Natchitoches has a massive Christmas festival every year that people from all over the south come to. Opening weekend of this year's festival, there were 250,000 people in this small town. The Natchitoches-Northwestern relationship is strong and will remain that way always.

If I could go back, I would tell myself to not rush my year away because the people I have with all of my life, I will most likely not see 90% of them again. Next, I would say that college is totally different than highschool in which the way one has to study. Study habits were one of the biggest changes because you do not go to the same classes everyday in college; certain classes are only on certain days. I would tell myself to learn how to make a planner. The biggest thing about not going to the same classes everyday is you may forget what you did on Monday because you did something totally different on Tuesday. I think for the most part a person has to get use to going without. I am fortunate to have what I have, but college is expensive and it really begins to hit home when you find out your parents are doing without so that you can have. Money is tight, so you have to spend wisely. You must prioritize your needs and wants and even your time. Have fun, make memories, and remember it all because time flies.

Northwestern is a great school in the small great community of Natchitoches, LA. The school is small and easy to get around, but it is one of the best schools in the state by far. There is not a bombardment of things to do; however, this is good because it allows complete focus on your goals.

I'm in the Scholars' program, so there are a bunch of nerds, but I love it. They challenge me to do and be the best I can. Most of them havebig professional goals, so they keep things competitive.

I would tell myself that its okay not to take all honors classes, and to get involved in as many things as possible ahead of time, so that the transition is easier. I would also tell myself that I need to room with someone else that isn't the roommate I have now. or better yet, that me and my roommate don't have to be best friends.

I wish I would have know how much reading we have to do, and how prejudiced the rest of campus is against us.

Cynthia

Crazy, the classmates that i interact with on a regular basis are very caring, and always wanting to help eachother get by in the world.

I have learned what it takes to survive in the field that I have chosen, and if anything be the most important, it would be that I have learned to persevere through anything, even if the state of Louisiana decides to cut almost three quarters of the money for higher education.

That living off-campus saves anyone about 1,000 to 2,000 dollars a semester depending on where they are living off campus.

Jason

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. I learned new things that can help people make their life easier. For me to attend college allowed me to continue my education, to pursue the career i want and to work towards my education goals. I love to learn and the best way is certainly through a college. College helps build skills that are needed to put me out into the world into a great paying job that can help me and other people. Everyone i will be interacting with will be affected with positive results through the college i have learned my skills from. I love to learn and help people and thats what i plan to do just by going to college.

Demetrice

What makes it so unique is that when you request anything, they get it to you as soon as possible. Also, they have a nice campus, faculty, students, and the programs are great.

I have gotten a new experience of the world, it's like in college you feel more responsible, mature, and independent. College brings lots of fun and different experiences that you can't get anywhere else. It has been valuable to attend because I have been able to recieve valuable life-lessons from it.

Honestly, any person who feels the school fits them.

Victoria

I have enjoyed learning from professors that consider it a joy to teach others about their passions in life. I love that you can see the excitement in their faces when philosophy majors describe their thoughts as it pertains to Plato’s "Republic". I have taken a new approach to life, and how I see other people around me. I can now fully appreciate and respect the religions, humorous nature, and thoughts of my fellow classmates. I find it fascinating, that I learn just as much from my peers as I do from my professors. The experiences and the overwhelming knowledge I have received, make it all the worthwhile to attend this college. A school that encourages the discussion of literary works like “The Aeneid” over pizza in the cafeteria is truly an enriching educational institution.

The fact that it is located in a small town. There aren't as many distractions from schoolwork as there would be in a bigger city.

I go to the first Honors college in Louisiana, and it was placed on Northwestern's campus.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.