Ohio Wesleyan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio Wesleyan University

Abigail

During my first month at Ohio Wesleyan University, I wanted to transfer. I wasn't compatible with my roommate, I didn't feel like a belonged there, and I didn't like the courses that I was taking for the liberal arts requirement. I applied to other schools and my mind was made up on leaving, but I stayed to finish out the semester. As the semester went on, I met more people and became more involved. I slowly started to love it. A wide variety of people have helped me adjust, including my academic adviser, teammates, and professors. I have joined a sorority, religious and political groups, and play on a sports team. When I analyze my feelings towards Ohio Wesleyan University now, I realize that I have so many opportunities to learn about different cultures, different subjects, and different people. The school does their best to help people achieve their goals of studying, traveling, finding jobs and internships, and making the best of their four years. I have met amazing people during my first year and now I cannot imagine myself going to any other school.

Travis

I love OWU. My freshman year has come with learning how to adjust and budget time so I am able to balance my time with studying and relaxing. Everyone is helpful and wants you to succeed and feel welcomed. I feel I have gained insight into what I want to do with my life. By being involved with football and baseball, I have found another family and friends. OWU wants you to succeed not just as a student but as a person. The professors are there for you and I enjoy the attention of being in a small class room.

This campus is amazing and extremely friendly. I have always been afraid of being around people, but after being here I feel like I can be myself. This place is a place that changes people for the better I believe. There are also students to help and there is someone there to hang out with. Even though this is a small campus its perfect for me and many others.

Ciara

Before I came to this college I took about three tours around campus to make sure it was the right campus for me. And to my surprise it was. At first I was scared coming here because I didn't know anyone and for me it is kind of hard making new friends because I'm sort of shy, but once I'm out of my shell it's party time. So far, two months in and I absolutely love it here. From the teachers, to the faculty, to the students, I love it all you name it! Plus it has the best programs here for travel, since the school pays for half the cost. I couldn't choose a better school!

Cole

I would recommend this college to anyone. There are lots of different people there and a place for everyone. Academics is a big focus of course and there are resources available for any help that you might need. The cafeterias are very nice and there is always something to do!

Casey

I loved Ohio Wesleyan. I played lacrosse for four years and received an amazing education. I earned a B.A. in Exercise Science/Pre-Med and minored in Biology. I can't express enough how much I enjoyed the school, staff, and the people. All of the professors were available whenever I sought them out. Classmates were willing to help. Teammates were always there for me. Coaches and professors knew me on a personal level. The social scene was a great--much better than one would expect at a school that has under 2,000 students. Overall, it's a great place.

Alexander

Ohio Wesleyan University is a liberal arts school located in Delaware, Ohio; and as it is to be expected from a town that is not all that large, the campus is not really that big in itself either. While I was slightly skeptical about this at first, I have come to adore the size of this campus, which makes it easy to get around and not miss your classes all two often, plus the residential area and academic areas are literally a five minute walk away from each other. The facilities are top-notch as well, each one being able to provide almost anything a student may need in an academic, health, or social standpoint as well. The academic aspects are what I truly enjoy the most though; the professors keep regular office hours, during which they will more than gladly take any questions you may have about the class, and since each class is of a relatively small size, it is easy to get that one-on-one experience with your professors. The community is absolutely wonderful as well; lots of people know each other and it is very easy to socialize on and off campus as well, and while there are not that many stores around, it is quite easy to get to at least one that will have almost anything you need. If you are intimidated by the overly large campuses and class sizes, Ohio Wesleyan University is definitely a great fit for you.

Daniela

This was my top choice of colleges and I truly enjoy being here, not everything on this campus is perfect but every year they are continuing to make it a better and updated place. I chose to go here because the academics are top notch and the professors are very approachable and make time to help students out. This university provides us with so many opportunities from travel, to internships to securing a job and that is what I think a good college should do. We are a tighter knit campus because of our size so it gives the campus a homey feel and I just love it.

Maureen

I loved the school. I was a little lost when I arrived and had some academic challenges early on, but the school gave me the opportunity to improve my grades and I became a very serious student. I will always be grateful to Ohio Wesleyan for allowing me to grow intellectually and personally.

Kendall

Ohio Wesleyan is a fantastic Liberal Arts school in Central Ohio and I love it! The people for the most part are extremely welcoming, the food is not bad at all, and I have a fantastic time in my major. I definitely think that this is the best school for me.

Landry

Because I was a very shy individual and I did not have the best high school experience, I was very anxious about entering college life. At Ohio Wesleyan, to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The professors made the transition into university education easier through their enthusiasm in the classroom and accessibility outside of it. Small class sizes and rigorous courses are exactly what I was looking for when I chose my university, and I was not disappointed. The staff is very attentive and helpful when students are in need, especially in the Bursar's office if you have any concerns about finances. The only reason I did not give a 5 start rating is because of Residential life. On campus living is quite expensive and the current head of the department does not very personable. Overall, OWU is a great university and has a welcoming environment with endless opportunities. Completing my freshman year, I have partaken in two honors tutorials, joined the Greek community, and participated in a Spring backpacking trip organized by the school. These are just a few of the things OWU has to offer, and I have experienced so much academic and personal growth from these as well as many more factors. I could not be more happy to see what the rest of my undergraduate career has to offer here.

Scott

OWU will suck your soul till it's gone. Uber clique and socially snobby where drugs and alchocol are an accepted daily scene. Sport teams here are a joke, having been recruited to play. The promise doesn't match the talent or coaching. Mid to low level intelligent student body makes this college an expensive joke.

Anthony

First year was a nightmare. Lots of partying and flagrant use of drugs and alcohol. I switched dorms in hope of quiet studying and it helped some. I commited to play a sport entering my junior year and have been unhappy with the promises that fell flat when I arrived. The coaching and fellow athletes are sub par at best and lack focus and good planning to be successful. The school has a very segragrated social class whether Greek life, political or arts. If you don't join 5 campus groups you will be left alone and bored in your dorm. School is filled with high society low iQ students whose only other option was community college. I wouldn't recommend this college to anyone. If I had other athletic options I'd have taken any of them before this.

Chris

Ohio Wesleyan University without a doubt is the least enjoyable school I know of to date. There is no off campus housing, so frats are where everyone goes on the weekend if no one is headed to the one gross bar that is down the road. The amount of drugs in the frats is ridiculous, which is a great indicator of how seriously the athletes take their sport after doing them. Everyone leaves campus on the weekends to go home or visit friends because there is nothing to do. The academics are fine, but the place feels like a public school packed with a swarm of oddballs. When weighing my options after first semester and trying to figure out a place to transfer, my academic advisor told me he can't help me and I'd have to figure out the process on my own (those were his exact words). I feel like I was lied to by OWU. They claim that their President, Rock Jones, knows everyone on campus and can name a large majority of the students. After three and a half months, I have seen Rock Jones four times on campus and he has said hello once, in response to me greeting him. I know of over 20 kids who are considering leaving this terrible institution and would not recommend it to anyone. There are better liberal arts schools in Ohio.

With stats and opinions analyzed individually, this school doesn't seem too spectacular. However, it is a wonderful place to be. The dorms and food are less than desirable, but I have personal relationships with all of my professors, which makes up for it. All of my professors not only care about my success as a student, but as a human.

Sydney

I'm in my Junior year here, and I already am afraid of leaving. I've done so much, from participating in year long research, to joining a sorority, to became a recognizable leader on campus. The academics here are challenging, and everyone has something to contribute. Every professor here really cares about your success and getting to know you personally, and will go the extra mile to ensure every student succeeds.

Rebecca

It's a great school with fantastic people. Small, friendly, helpful, and engaging. The professors are always willing to help one on one and most students tend to be close with one or two professors on a personal level. The campus is small and everything you need is on campus or very close and you'll get to know quite a few friendly faces due to its size. Its academic buildings are breathtakingly beautiful and we have a variety of tools and resources for our classes. Overall, Ohio Wesleyan is an incredible university.

Shalisa

This school has good academics. There are plenty of people who go here who even say this school is hard. Well, some classes are hard and you really have to pay attention to and actually study. For example, math and science here people complain about because of how hard it is, but maybe that's just college. Some of the dorms could use a upgrade honestly. There's a limit to what students will deal with. When parents start to complain about to dorms their children are staying in then you know something is wrong. The food is buffet style for the most part. Some days are better than others and some days just honestly suck. I remember one time some of my friends ate apples with peanut butter and cereal for dinner due to the rest of the choices not being that great. Overall, there are obvious things that can be fixed and upgraded, but the school isn't bad. Academic wise, it's a really good school. The people you meet could end up being your best friend for the rest of your life, you could meet people who are just like you which you might not have been use to back home or you could have a new variety of friends with different backgrounds.

Alexis

OWU is overall a great university. A large amount of opportunities for internships, study abroad, traveling to other countries. You can work professors to do research on something you are interested in. Class size is small, professors are easily accessible. You can go and speak with them after class, send them an email, go to their office hours. There are just endless opportunities, building an experience for 4 years is so amazing. You meet people from around the world and all walks of life. Like anywhere the University needs some improving in the curriculum but otherwise it is a great institution to be apart of.

Jayden

I think its a school with a lot of potential but they aren't very good at giving out money and can be a bit disorganized at times. There is improved food and they are planning on upgrading some of the older facilities and the housing. Teachers are pretty helpful and so are other students.

Trina

Loved my years there. Might be easier to get into than other schools but once there, wow! You will have to work really hard to get good grades. Don't--don't--goof off your freshman year! Focus on your academics and do "social on the side." You really want to get a good GPA right off the bat because the work just gets harder as you move through your years there. Take advantage of everything you can and try to study abroad. Join clubs, get involved. The town and general area are not very exciting but the school offers a lot to those who want to try new things. I now have two master's degrees and credit OWU with instilling a love of learning and challenging me intellectually.

Anna

OWU is, in my opinion, perfect for students like myself, who want the academic resources of many larger schools in a small, private school environment. In fact, everything academically has been wonderful. There are many opportunities to get real-world experience. The largest downside, however, is the overly homogenous political culture, which leads to an echo chamber of sorts. Any ideas outside off the accepted margins are not appreciated.

Alexis

Overall Ohio Wesleyan is a great institution. Just like any other they have their faults. But they are actively working to fix the problems they do have. They are doing multiple campus renovations in the academics as well as the residential. Professors are easy to reach out to always willing to help, and if they cannot help they will find someone that will. There are an array of campus extracurriculars to be apart of, work with. Campus programming there is not a dull moment. Sundays are probably the only time when things are not going on. But there is many offices spaces dedicated to each student, and their needs.

Ryan

I was a theatre major, and I changed to medicine. Ohio Wesleyan is phenomenal when it comes to preparing you for the next step in your journey. The forms aren’t great, but I guarantee you, you will not find a better set of professors that care and want you to succeed. YOU WILL GO FAR if you become a bishop... they will train you well.

Joy

I've been at Ohio Wesleyan for 2 years now. There are many things to like and a few things to dislike. As a black student, you find teachers and students that are often racist whether its intentional or passive. But on the other hand, the teachers that are for you absolutely are amazing. It is important that you make friends in Columbus because Delaware is a small town and there is not much to do outside of the things on campus.

Finn

I love my school for the people, the professors, and the way it caters to my learning abilities. Classes are small to help professors interact with their students, but it can feel a bit oppressive and stifling to constantly rely on only a small group of people and/or feel pressured to constantly be doing your best. The classes depend entirely on the professors, but for the most part, they make do with what they're given. Some classes feel dated, while others are ultra-modern. It is a stark reminder of the way that colleges and education seem to be something of a commodity than anything, but I digress. It is integral to interact with students and stay on top of things, but you are never truly on your own since the school is filled with people who dedicate themselves to the success of students and their families. It is very expensive, but arguably gives a quality education to everyone who can afford it.

Meghan

Its not the best school, but it's still not the absolute worst. The university likes to hide things from the students and I've heard around that we are losing money and students. I am worried about not being able to graduate because the school doesn't have the money to pay the professors.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!