About South Carolina State University

Founded in 1896, South Carolina State University. is a Public college. Located in South Carolina, which is a city setting in South Carolina, the campus itself is Town. The campus is home to 2,529 full time undergraduate students, and 376 full time graduate students.

The South Carolina State University Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 17:1. There are 137 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at South Carolina State University include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate86%
Application Deadline
Application Fee25
SAT Range680-873
ACT Range14-17

Admissions at SCSU are considered Less Selective, with ,34% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 22 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

57% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 16% were in the top quarter, and 6% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at South Carolina State University.

“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”
“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”

South Carolina State University REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

93 Students rated on-campus housing 3.1 stars. 16 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

67 Students rated off-campus housing 3.3 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

96 Students rated campus food 3.3 stars. 17 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

97 Students rated campus facilities 3.4 stars. 23 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

97 Students rated class size 4.1 stars. 40 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

96 Students rated school activities 3.8 stars. 35 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

96 Students rated local services 3.7 stars. 39 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

97 Students rated academics 3.6 stars. 30 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of South Carolina State University?

34 Students rated South Carolina State University

Jamiah - 11/30/2022

this school is great , it tells us the background of the school just by walking on campus . the history of this school and the alumni's are incredible . homecoming week we had the vice president come to our school. they have meetings to talk about to have safe sex . this school is amazing and i'm class i get to apart of the bulldog legacy .

Tiana - 11/21/2020

I love SC State! I just wish they had more updated dormitories. I feel to be more competitive more money needs to be poured into the schools to update dorms and facilities. That’s only issue I feel that needs to be worked on. Other than that, I love my SCSU.

Destinee

I love it !It was the best school I have ever been to. The teachers and faculty are all so caring and willingly to help with any and everything. The professors are very personal, and always there for their students. Most professors will give out their personal numbers to help out. It's a very great school!

Cadra

South Carolina state is different from the rest. I feel like we're kinda looked down on due to some of the past fault we've had with budget cuts and debt . I really understand the true reason why we are here. I understand the fact that this won't be an easy milestone to get over . But trust we will get there with the help of unigo !

South Carolina State University FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at South Carolina State University?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for South Carolina State University is 86%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

If I could go back to college I would do it all Over

3. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

The amount of foolishness one could get into. I don't mind having the social parties and concerts. However, sometimes the amount of alcohol and drugs was ridiculous. These were NEVER affiliated with campus functions, but the students would have them available. And that always gave us a bad name locally. Our campus nickname was "Party University". I always hated that because one can get a great education from SC State.

4. What kind of person should attend this school?

no one

5. Describe the students at your school.

My classmates at South Carolina State University were knowledgeable and insightful into our field of study.

6. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

sports and social-academic life

7. What's unique about your campus?

The family enviroment where everyone feels like they belong.

8. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

I brag about how live and spirit filled the campus is.

9. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

historical

10. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

Befoe coming to this school I wish that I have known that partying and being in sororities will get me where I needed to be in life. I wish that I just would have attending college and get what I needed to succeed in life. I attended this college and because I was young and didn't have my life well planned and put together, it took me longer then normal to complete my college degree. Not only did I let joining a sorority get in my way, but I also knew that it took me a while to learn.

11. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

Being at SCSU you feel welcomed by your peers. there is a strong "bulldog" family that most students feel as they matriculate through the university. although SCSU is not rated as the highest institution of higher education, the degree that you earn is valued and looked at with great concern. the university prepares students for everyday challenges and does not let anyone graduate without having that BULLDOG PRIDE.

12. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

Nothing, everything is amazing!

13. What kind of person should not attend this school?

The kind of person that shouldn't be at South Carolina State University is person who is lazy and who does not want to succeed in their college career.

14. What are the most popular student activities/groups?

Popular activities would be, having meltdowns, Greek shows etc. Popular groups- Dolls organization, 101 black man, honors class etc..

15. Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Beside the school work and being able to have a week to enjoy, "Homecoming" week is the day you want forget, being able to see all the alumni comes back to the school to support where they have finish there education. All the family and friends having fun, football game, tailgating, music, food, Greek life and more

16. What are the academics like at your school?

1 - 10 i give it a 7. You just have to know how to apply yourself and keep focus.

17. What is your overall opinion of this school?

South Carolina State is a great college. It opens up a lot of opportunities for young college students.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

95% of students attending South Carolina State University receive some sort of financial aid. 82% were awarded federal grants. While 83% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$20,500

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$2,000

Books and Supplies

$9,000

Room and Board

31,500

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$27,016
$75 - $110K
$110K & UP

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO South Carolina State University?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.