Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

Moriah

Southwestern is a place that encourages creativity. In class, professors provide many opportunities for participation and encourage students to ask questions.They are eager for students to learn and understand the material and enjoy whenever students visit them outside of class. Social events on campus are entertaining and allow for a light-hearted atmosphere. At Southwestern, I found people who shared my interests and those they didn't share they still encouraged me to pursue them. I found a home here and I find myself reminded of that everyday I am on campus.

Vasthy

Academically, Southwestern offers a great environment. The students at this university are here to learn and the professors are just as eager to teach. Socially, Southwestern could use some work. I personally feel as though Southwestern spends too much time tending to the needs of its white male population and not enough on the other 68% of the population. With that being said, Southwestern is a great school and is definitely worth checking out.

Sam
I love SU!

I love SU!

While the social scene can be frustrating because it is dominated by Greek life, SU is great. The professors are extremely accessible and most are truly passionate and intelligent people. Everyone is really friendly, and Austin is a super quick drive.

Audry

I love it at Southwestern. Choosing to go here is literally the best choice that I have made thus far in my life.

One of the biggest stereotypes is that we are a bunch of white liberal rich kids. I am a conservative and my roommate is Asian, if that tells you anything.

Greek life is the best! I joined Alpha Xi Delta and it has been a (mostly) great experience that ahs really helped me grow as a person.

Zainab

To my former self “Aim for the stars but expect to be standing in a bit of mud”, “Aim for each star equally” and “Mothers are right (usually,75%).Having dreams is great but sometimes (always), you’ll get half of what you want. Standards are also great but being picky does narrow ones’ options, which is a bad thing to be before rejection letters. Furthermore, there are those in your life, who love you and give advice and ask things from you that are really in your best interest. You’re young and you may know what you want but trust that being older does mean being a little wiser. The most important message is to try to live a scheduled life. Being a free spirit is great and all but so is sleep. Buy two calendars and a scheduler. Dedicate time blocks for studying, reviewing notes and work for your classes and commitment to these times. Life will be little less stressful, and you’ll get more sleep. I want you to have time to nurture that dreamy, brassy and loud part of yourself. Also when you take leadership positions, you’ll be more effective on campus.

The best thing about the school is how extensive the sciences are for a small liberal school. The instruments, machinery and type of research going on at SU is cutting edge. Faculty and staff is very supportive of students academically and are very accessible to reach and meet with. Most have great personalities. If you talk to people, you find great conversations.

The typical SU student is smart, fearless, sassy, finds time to work-out, friendly, and adventurous spirit.

Amy

If I could go back and talk to me as a senior, I would tell myself to stop getting so nervous everytime I thought about leaving. I was so scared that I wouldn't make friends and that the classes would be too hard and that I would get homesick every 10 minutes and almost all of those things weren't true. I made friends, my classes are difficult, yes but manageable and while I do love my family, being away from them isn't unbearable enough to distract from other things that I need to focus on. And, just as a joke, I'd probably tell myself that my roommate isn't psychotic so don't worry about that, either.

The worst thing is definitely the tendency for cliques to form. Since it's such a small school, it's really easy for certain people to band with others and then exclusively be around those people. So it's really difficult for people who didn't find a clique that fits them to find friends whereas in a larger school, one person can be in multiple groups of friends, making it a lot easier on everyone.

I brag about 2 things. First is the statistics of where people who have graduated from Southwestern are now. Southwestern has an unbelievable acceptance rate into medical school, law school, and other graduate programs as well as a large percentage that are able to find jobs after school. The second thing is the fact that there are a lot of clubs that are open to new members so, unlike very large schools, everyone can usually find at least one club that suits them.

Kelsey

A diverse community of people that are very driven in their goals and who truely enjoy what they are doing.

The faculty and staff are very encouraging and truely care about their students. Professors go above and beyond to help their students and often stay in touch with them after they graduate. Students have a very strong sense of community and alumni stay close friends for life. Students at SU are very proud of their school. Even though many students party a lot, they still are very successful academically .

In a nutshell: My campus is best known for creating better human beings. Southwestern fosters values and ideals that enhance and enrich our lives as students and focuses both on academics and giving back to the community.

Hey Ashe, It's me: you. I've come from 10 years into the future to give you some advice. First things first: don't think you need to know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life right now. You've got so many interests that it feels like you're changing your mind all of the time, and that's totally okay. What's most important is enriching your life with friends that will always stand behind you, being aware of what's going on in your country as well as the rest of the world, and always strive to learn something new. Most importantly: It gets better. Being an adult is awesome, but definitely get out and have some fun while you're young too. That said, once other people get to college, more important priorities begin to fall into place and so everyone else is right there with you going through the same thing. You got this! P.S - No I didn't arrive in a Delorean and please for the love of God lose the Hot Topic Tripp pants.

It's not the most transfer friendly school (more intended for undergrads fresh out of high school) but we're working on it! :)

Heather

Southwestern University is known for its beautiful campus, rigorous academic enviroment, small class sizes and impressive faculty. Many of the students were from the highest bracket in their highschool, but most are not pretentious or stuck up. Since we're near Austin, many students enjoy local concerts, dance clubs, and performances on occasion, although there are many things happening on campus so most students stick around. There's a rumor floating around that we were rated #1 in the nation for workload. We make it fun by studying in groups on campus or at local coffee shops.

I didn't consider any other schools very seriously. I visited junior year and fell in love with the campus. One thing that is unique is the student to faculty ratio of 11:1. It makes it easy to get a hold of professors when you need them. Many give out their cell phone numbers so you can call after they've left campus. We also have Pirate Bikes, a set of yellow bikes that you can take around campus, simply leaving them outside the building for whoever needs it next.

I would tell myself to engage with others more readily. I was shy for my first semester or so and ended up only having the people I lived with as friends. Although they were fantastic, I missed out on the opportunity to discuss ideas with a more diverse group. I often tell freshmen to be sure to talk to and get the phone number of at least one person in each class. That's important in case you miss something. More than that though, it's easier for me - a relatively quiet person by nature - to fully participate in class discussion when I feel like I have friends around me. In addition, on such a small campus, the walks between classes are much more interesting when you get to personally greet four or five people who you happen to cross on the way. One of the most fantastic aspects of the liberal arts experience is the ability to engage with people of a variety of backgrounds but with equal levels of passion. Relationships are essential. Talk to people!

Montana

Goal-oriented, hard working, beautifully-minded people of all kinds of identities, who fight for what they believe in, question what they're told at face value, and enjoy creating art or pushing research questions as far as possible.

I believe we're best known for our rigorously challenging academic stature, brilliant professors, small classes, beautiful campus and liberal atmosphere. I was first attracted to the Pirate Bike Program, which places bright yellow bicycles all around campus for students to freely use. This, to me, showed that the quality of student life is a priority for Southwestern.

Learn time management, and learn note-taking skills. More than anything. It is always better to get work done during the day, and have the nights to relax. Pace yourself - have the readings for classes with you wherever you go, and read and annotate throughout your day while you wait for things or if you get brief amounts of free time between classes. Go to the print lab at least thirty minutes before you need what you're printing. Your school work and your best friends are more important than parties, and in fact, partying with just your friends is a lot more fun than going to big, cantankerous parties. You'll know who these friends are because they'll want to stay in with you for fun, rather than encourage you constantly go out. You have control over your grades, your work, your investments and your happiness. When things seem too hard to handle, just breathe, make a plan, communicate with your professors, and remember: you got this.

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.