Southwestern University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southwestern University

aminah

Its a great school, easy to access professors. Great clubs and organizations. Most students are open minded, great location. Furthermore Southwestern University has relatively small sizes, Interactive classes, exposure to cool things . Through intentional experience and exposure, liberal arts colleges provide students with the all-important problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They focus on how to think, not what to think. Instead of memorizing facts and then forgetting the information at the end of the semester, students learn to examine, think and connect ideas. These valuable skills, practiced and reiterated throughout the entire college experience, are the skills necessary to innovate and create meaningful change in the world. There are also great financial Aid Opportunities.

Moriah

Southwestern is a place that encourages creativity. In class, professors provide many opportunities for participation and encourage students to ask questions.They are eager for students to learn and understand the material and enjoy whenever students visit them outside of class. Social events on campus are entertaining and allow for a light-hearted atmosphere. At Southwestern, I found people who shared my interests and those they didn't share they still encouraged me to pursue them. I found a home here and I find myself reminded of that everyday I am on campus.

Sam

While the social scene can be frustrating because it is dominated by Greek life, SU is great. The professors are extremely accessible and most are truly passionate and intelligent people. Everyone is really friendly, and Austin is a super quick drive.

Vasthy

Academically, Southwestern offers a great environment. The students at this university are here to learn and the professors are just as eager to teach. Socially, Southwestern could use some work. I personally feel as though Southwestern spends too much time tending to the needs of its white male population and not enough on the other 68% of the population. With that being said, Southwestern is a great school and is definitely worth checking out.

Currie

Southwestern University is a small liberal arts college with incredible professors who care about their students. Prospective students who are unsure of what they want to study will have an exceptionally easy time exploring options in a meaningful way. It is important to understand just how small the campus and surrounding area truly are before committing to any small, private liberal arts college. Students looking for a multitude of opportunities may find that a larger institution is a better fit for success. The most positive aspect of Southwestern University is the teaching staff. There has never been a time at which I felt that my professor did not care about my success and learning. Each and every professor is dedicated to helping students achieve their best self. Every professor holds office hours to ensure that if a student want help, they will get it. Whether a student does not understand the material, wants to get involved in the community, or is looking for job opportunities, no one is more eager to help than the staff at Southwestern. In addition, the Career Services office offers valuable aid in completing resumes, finding jobs, and preparing for interviews. I have not encountered a single employee at Southwestern who has not had my best interest in mind. One downfall I have found however is the social aspect. While there are organizations to join, there are not that many. On weekends I often find myself bored in my room with nothing to do other than homework that has not yet been assigned. Although this may be because I am a first year student, I do not feel that the academics are rigorous enough to keep me challenged. After joining every single organization that interested me, attending meetings, getting a job working 20 plus hours a week, and starting a fundraiser, I finally feel that my plate is full. However something is still off. It has been my experience that the students who attend Southwestern are either student athletes who are only interested in maintaining a minimum grade in order to keep their spot on the team or students from high schools where academics was not incredibly competitive. While I am supportive of all students who choose to attend college, I sometimes wish that I knew more people at my level of academic drive. In addition, it seems there is never enough to do on campus or around campus in Georgetown. While Georgetown may be a hot spot for retired elderly, there is not much to do for a college student looking to explore and therefore students often resort to partying. The town square is charming and full of restaurants and coffee shops worth visiting a few times but at a certain point students run out of new things to see. If this kind of laid back lifestyle is something that sounds enjoyable, then Southwestern is the perfect place to thrive in college. If not, I suggest keeping an open mind and looking for an institution in a more social environment.

mariana

The academics are extremely challenging, but all of the professors are always available to help you succeed whether it be for their class or another. The classroom size of about 25 student per class is great because you get more time to participate and get to know your classmates. Overall, I love Southwestern and can’t imagine my life at an other University.

Meranda

It was a great education, but it's small size made not being in greek life crippling to some. We did not have great community communication about events going on so it made our school spirit kind of low. But once a group was found, you felt as if you were apart of a family. Classes were challenging but professors were awesome on availability and outside of class help. Beautiful campus anytime of the year, will be missed.

Carson

This school will challenge you academically, especially in the sciences. At the same time, the professors and students are collaborative and genuinely care about each other. If you want a smaller, liberal arts education then Southwestern would be great for you. The financial aid office is incredible and President Burger is always found on campus and cares more than any university president I have seen.

Brendan

I love Southwestern. The class sizes, people and teachers are almost perfect. The food is not the best, but there are always places off campus to grab a bite to eat. It is super easy to make friends here, EVERYONE knows everyone! You will always see the president riding his bike around having conversations with students. Professors are always around to just even enjoy lunch with. Southwestern is a school unlike any other I have seen or visited. The walks around campus can be so beautiful, especially when the sun is setting. The sports culture is wonderful, there is always a ton of support at every event for every sport.

Sarai

Overall, I love this school. It is the perfect fit for me since I graduated from a small high school. I love the typical small school size and Southwestern is great for that. Classes aren't that big and professors know you by your name plus always help with whatever you need. Most people are easy to connect with and super friendly!

Alicia

I think it is a good school for being small, the classes are very personal and you get to know your professors and classmates. It is also great for getting to know your community. It is also very close to Austin which is great for getting involved in the arts and social movements. There are plenty of churches to worship at.

Gabrielle

Southwestern University is the most perfect school for me personally. The scenery is well kept and nice and neat. The buildings are historic, but they are still nice. The areas of study will be very beneficial for me. Its location is not far from a shopping center, which is great. The offers for my major will be very beneficial for me. A great school overall.

Ashton

Southwestern University was my number one school my senior year. I was so excited to go, and as a student, I still have the same excitement. I prefer the small classes so the size of the school is want attracted me to it. Although our campus is open, I feel safe to walk around it at any time of day. I am glad I chose Southwestern University.

Kristine

It's an awesome place to get smaller class sizes, hence more hands on experience. highly recommend for anyone who wants to be able to establish connections with faculty and staff. Majority of the student body is very welcoming and almost everyone is involved in at least one extracurricular activity,

Abi

Southwestern is a beautiful campus with a very impressive and unique culture. The amount of learning that goes on outside of the classroom without prompting is unbelievable, but such an amazing thing to be a part of. The classes are small and personal and the relationships with the professors reflect this heavily. Amazing school!

SU provides a close knit community of students and faculty. I came from a background of homeschooling so I needed a small class size and found that at SU. My largest class has been 15 people so I am always able to get to know my teachers and them me. I like to tell people that this is a double edged sword, they care and worry about you when you are sick or miss class so play hooky with caution.

Cydnee

It's a very interesting, beautiful place, and I love how everyone is involved. Students are very into getting everyone together and making each other feel at home. It's a small school but feels like one big family, no one lets anyone down and always has your back. I am very grateful for being able to be apart of this family.