Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

Katherine

My experience at Southwestern University transformed me from student to colleague. Professor interest and confidence in me, even as a first year, became my impetus to develop beyond the classroom and explore my role as a global citizen. Through outlets like the Paideia program – an honor program in which diverse cohorts of students meet for biweekly salons and collaborate on civic engagement and research projects – I was able to befriend students from nearly every department on campus. This allotted me a fuller, more complex understanding of my own subjects and my potential impacts on the world. With my curiosity sparked, I began an independent study which has since become my honor thesis and book project (to be published in 2012). The lively and intense academic environment of Southwestern also enabled me to assist in the direction of a Shakespearean play alongside a professor, spend a summer studying Comparative Ethnic Urbanisms in NYC, and present my own work at the Young Rhetoricians’ Conference in California. Southwestern helped me develop from a shy young woman into a strong public speaker, published author, and PhD-bound lifelong student. Southwestern's value, for me, is in how it has helped me better value myself.

I wish I'd better understood the AP/IB process of acquiring college credits in high school because there are so many facinating upper-level elective courses at SU that I didn't get to take simply because I ran out of semesters.

I brag predominantly about the professors and the Paideia program. The Paideia program is essentially an honor program where small cohorts of academically diverse students meet for biweekly salons, civic engagement projects, presentations, and research. The professors are brilliant; they are always willing to spend extra time with students and quickly become friends. I personally have had dinner with professors at their homes. I've played dodgeball with one professor and her kids, my friends have babysat for their professors, and I've even gone out to bars with professors before (in a 21-and-up group, of course).

Rebecca

Southwestern is highly liberal and humanistic. It does an excellent job of honing communication skills, writing skills, and your ability to think critically.

A college of Southwestern’s academic caliber provides less time for socializing and self-indulgence in lieu of academic study, but as a liberal arts university, Southwestern makes it a priority to invest in the varying interests of each student and provides an arena of rigorous academic study that also embraces artistic means of gaining and exercising intellect. Thus, I have gladly received professional instruction in music, photography, writing and other of my personal interests in my coursework. The highest emphasis may be placed on writing, however. However, while fiction is my forte and prime interest in composition, my Christian faith also pulls my interests toward ministerial writing; for example, allegorical novels illustrating biblical doctrine, and so forth. Southwestern has proven to be a breeding ground of educated individuals possessing the ability to expertly communicate ideas, both verbally and in written form. I have seriously grown in my ability to write while at Southwestern and this is a priceless gift in my opinion. In sum, I hope to be able to continue my education at Southwestern and further hone my various skills for use in the future. This scholarship would enable me to do just that.

I wish I'd known how to study, but by now I've learned. Don't worry too much, Southwestern will catch you up on writing skills and good study habits and things of that nature.

Meagan

Its small, very visually appealing, students are required to complete a research capstone before graduating, it is typical of classes to be less than 10 people, its in a small town thats far enough from Austin to not have bigger-city problems, but not too small, plenty of social activities that do not force students into binge drinking behaviors.

During my time at Southwestern, I was able to expand my research skills and present my research at two national conferences. In doing so, I feel better prepared for a graduate school program that focuses on research. Also, because the courses are so demanding, my study skills have improved. Although I (as many students at Southwestern do) spent a majority of my time studying, I was still able to be actively involved in the social scene on campus. Therefore, I feel I was able to find the perfect balance between having a social life and academically preparing for my future. Furthermore, the one-on-one opportunities that professors at Southwestern offer are unlike any other experience that I have heard about on other campuses. Professors know their students and become actively engaged in their life outside of the classroom. In doing so, I feel that professors have ben better able to write letters of recommendation for students seeking internships, employment, and graduate school acceptance.

A person who does not plan on depending on a lot of loans for their education, a liberal, upper middle class, white, top ten percent (at least), socialite individual who has big plans for success in life - these are the characteristics of a majority of SU students. Few other students outside of these haracteristics stay at Southwestern University for the entire 4 years.

Steve

The biggest thing that I got out of my college experience was when I discovered my passion for psychology. When I first started college, I was not sure what I wanted to major in, but I was leaning towards Computer Science. I enjoyed the programming classes, but math is definitely not one of my strong points, so I had to work really hard just to pass those classes. One year, I took an introductory course in psychology, just to see what it was about. I ended up absolutely loving the subject and I knew that I wanted to learn more about it and become a psychologist in the future. I am now working on a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology and loving every minute of it.

A person who does not like a small campus, a small student body size, a liberal arts school. Also, anyone who wants to play varsity college football, since the school does not have a football team.

Since it is a much smaller school than most others, news and gossip spreads very quickly.

Aaron

Southwestern University has allowed me to continue to pursue my Business major and Comunications minor at a prestigious school. Southwestern has also opened my view on life and different people, allowing me to accept more people for how they are and not to pre judge how individuals act or look. I have also made life long friends that I can trust and talk to whenever I need. Attending Southwestern has also allowed myself to become more responsible and independent because I have to live on my own now, without parents or anyone who I look up to to use as an example. Southwestern has set my career and what I want to do with my life. It is very valuable to attend Southwestern because it does not only teach you academia and expand your knowledge, but it also allows you to grow as a person and become stronger through life lessons so you can live a comfortable and happy life.

How welcoming Southwestern University is to anyone and everyone. Also how accepting everyone is towards each other other although it is very diverse.

How revered Southwestern University is for their academics. Also, that our professors work one on one with the students for as long as necessary to help them.

Johnni

I am just going back to colledge after 25 years. I have decided that I would like to further my education and career by attending college. My children are now grown and it is a decision of mine to go back to school. When you are young, it is a part of life to go to school or to not go to school. After 25 years, I have decided to go back to school. To make this decision after such a long time is a need that I have to fulfill. It is something I want more than anything in life at this point of my life. I think that this makes me a great candidate for college because I have experience in many parts of my life, but I also know that this is a thought through decision. I want to work in the health field and be a part of the wonderful things that come from working in the health field. I believe that I can make a difference in this world. Life is short and I am not done learning and hoping to learn.

Geoff

I have gotten more life experience from my college experience. Life experience is the most vauable experience any indiviual can receive. This can be obtain thru a family crisis or a weekend camping with friends. I have learned more about decision making and time management. These areas have been significantly impacted by my college experience. A huge impact on decision making came when I was at my first party and I was pressured to drink. I had never drinked before and didn't want to say no to my friend. He took me to get a drink but had to go. At the moment he left, I felt relieved and thought about my decision not to say no. This experience and the afterthoughts really helped form my decision making skills and I really am grateful for it.

Kaylee

I have been in college for only a few months; however I feel as if I have experienced so much. I have experienced living in a dorm, moving away from home, playing a collegiate sport, joining groups such as Catholic Student Association, Pirate Crew, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes, meeting new diversity of people, and creating a new chapter in my life. Starting college was like opening a new journal in my life. I had the pen in my hand, and the opportunity to write my own journey. So far my time in college has been the most challenging and exciting time in my life. College has been valuable to my life because it has forced me to grow up and start to be more independent. It has also challenged me in many ways, especially, academically. I feel like every day is a new and exciting challenge.

The best thing about Southwestern University is its size. Southwestern currently has around 1,300 students, and is continuing to grow. The class of 2014 is the largest freshman class in the history of Southwestern with a number around 450 students. By being apart of a small university you get to know your professors, and fellow students very well. You build relationships with these peoples, and it is a family like atmosphere. I enjoy being a Southwestern Pirate because I feel as if I am at my home, away from home.

One thing I wish I would have known before attending Southwestern would be how credits transfer. Some AP and Dual Credit credits transfers as electives. However, this is not a bad thing because you still receive credit that works towards all majors. I just was unaware about how a few of my credits transferred.

Tonya

I have discovered what I want to major in and accomplish in life. In the beginning of my college career I was unsure, so I decided to try out a couple majors. After taking some classes and doing some volunteering, I discovered I want to be a teacher. I think the longer I have been in school the more I appreciate my teachers and the job that they do. My volunteer work helped me choose an age group, but it was mainly my teaching classes and classroom experience that contributed to my newly discovered goal: to become a certified, influencial and succesful 1st grade teacher. I believe that even my first few classes in my college career were valuable. Although they were not classes in the area I focused on today, the helped guide me to the right decision and discover what I am capable of.

Jodi

There is a strong sense of community on campus, and that includes the professors. They really want you to do well. There is a lot of freedom of thought and you're never discouraged to voice your opinion.

The most valuable thing I have gotten out of my college experience is life. Southwestern University has surrounding me by so many people like me. I'm not saying our campus isn't diverse, but everyone here loves life and feels like part of a giant family. I have made friendships that will last a life time, and connections that will further me in my future career. The professors not only teach they're respective subjects, but they teach life lessons. Some at SU would consider the professors mean, but its just tough love. I have learned so much regarding my major, and so much more that has nothing to do with a formal education. My attendance at Southwestern University gave me something truly valuable, a kickstart for life.

The cafeteria food, and the workload is pretty hard, especially as a freshman. Once you know what to expect it isn't that bad.

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.