Oswego, NY
SUNY College at Oswego

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Oswego

Kala

The main reason I chose this college was for my unique major it offered. Across America it is known for having a unique study in Zoology. Very few colleges and universities offer this degree program and it was the main reason why I applied to SUNY Oswego.

The transition from high school to college can be a challenge for freshman students who are entering the new college lifestyle. Many students have never had to take out such large loans until college. If I could talk myself through the changes as a high school student I would highly advise myself to research the entirety of my college major. In order to obtain my Bachelors degree there are many requirements. Most of the requirements regard general education courses. If I had known what the general education courses were that I needed in order to obtain my degree then I would have been able to apply my course work at school onto my degree program and graduate sooner. This ultimate change could have affected the amount of loans I have taken out and perhaps may have downsized the total amount I owe. Researching the degree I wanted would have really affected the outcome of how I went about obtaining it. I have learned through my personal experience now of what I could have done to reduce or manage my loans differently. I think this is very important to take into consideration when looking to pursue a degree.

The kind of person who should attend this college is someone who is dedicated and responsible. You must be dedicated in the amount of time you devote to your studies, work and classes. This college entails a lot of homework involved outside a classroom setting and requires a student to attend every scheduled class. It is a student?s responsibility to work hard in order to obtain and maintain a good grade point average.

Julie

I only considered one other school and the differences between that school and Oswego are endless. One is a private university and located in another state, while Oswego is a state school and was much more affordable for me. Although the other university is my dream school, I am happy at Oswego and I believe my education is being served almost as well.

RELAX. College is a big deal, but not going to Johnson and Wales isn't as devastating as you think it is. I know it sucks that you aren't going to your dream school, but Oswego is a great place. College is about what you're doing, not where you're doing it. You're going to do great at this school, I promise, and you're going to love it. I swear. For now, you're doing everything you're supposed to academically, and if you keep it up in college, it'll be smooth sailing. But you need to apply for more scholarships: you said you were going to live in the guidance office and apply for everything, but so far you've been slacking. Get off your butt and DO IT. Besides that, you need to dedicate a little more time to your friends and a little less to work. I know you hate to be told this, but you're a kid. It's okay to act like one and to not be perfect all of the time. Relax and enjoy the rest of your year. Good luck. You'll be fine.

Someone who is interested in business, education, or ice hockey would be right at home at SUNY Oswego, but other majors shouldn't be discouraged. Students shouldn't be afraid of a little bit--or a LOT--of snow and wind.

Karina

My school is fun and enlightening, and it will give you the tools you need to succeed if you seek them out.

First of all, you have nothing to worry about friend-wise. You will still have the friends you have now but you won't talk as much. Your friendships will mostly rely on Facebook. The amount of work you will receive won't be all that different, honestly. It will only seem like a lot because you have to manage your time between play and work, which is what your parents do for you now. And trust me, there will be A LOT of play. Best time of your life in fact. But moving on, don't get all worried about declaring a major. In fact, if I could do it over again, I would go in undeclared. You will probably change your major/minor 3-4 times before staying with what you want. And please be aware of what you will be, a college student. You will be targeted because you are inexperienced with life situations. You will get many calls trying to take your money and you will probably fall for the first one. Speaking of money, save it and be fickle with what you spend it on. "Don't let school interfere your education." Mark Twain

The worst thing about my school is the incompetence of some professors. I don't feel like I get my money's worth for some classes. Or, they expect too much from me when I have other responsibilities to other classes. I believe the inadequacy of professors leads to lower grades(lower GPA), because who wants to go to a class and do good in it when the teacher doesn't see the work one puts into it? Or the professor doesn't teach anthing worthwhile to remember. I've had personal experiences concerning both these incidences.

Janelle

I would tell my past self not go home so much; although i had missed my family, college is an oppourtunty to stand on you own feet without anyone holding you hand. I would emphasise that, 'staying in' is something that should be seldomly done. This is also an opportunity to explore the world around you; whether you go to school in the big city or a small college town, if you look hard enough you can find a nook that can be meaningful to you. I would tell myself to stay on top of things, not only academic realated deadline but the politics of your school, know who is making the desicisions around and never stay "out of the loop" get involved in something you thought you would never do, even if it just for one time (for me it was joining the Capoeria and Aikido club) you will be suprised of what you learn about yourself as well as in general. Most of all, try to see the connections between what you learn in class and in your daily life. I feel more aware of how society works because i see these correlations between classes and daily living.

I wish I knew how much of a forgotten town Oswego is. I feels like students have a hard time finding things to do off campus, mainly because not much is going on off campus.

The isolation; thoguh my scool has many great programs which enable the students to interact with the surrounding commuites, It still feels like the studnents live in a bubble. I want to live off campus next school year and many students don't want to do that/ see the logic in this. I believe it will aid me in becoming more independent if i lived off campus and on my own. I feel like it makes students unaware about our global community and that hinders personal growth and empathy for individual who are different.

Bert

It is a beautiful campus with a fantastic sunset.

It is a beautiful campus with a fantastic sunset.

Have fun, and do not hesitate because you are nervous. Just have fun and study hard! It will be tough but everything will be ok.

The ocean because you can relax on your downtime and it is beautiful.

Joseph

SUNY Oswego is a small-medium sized college known for its School of Business. It resides just off of Lake Ontarion in the Northeastern United States.

Oswego has one of the best Meteorology programs in the Northeast.

Leaving your family and friends, and starting on a clean slate is a very difficult matter to deal with when first arriving on campus. You have no idea who your other peers are, and you are placed into unfamiliar territory. The best advice to give is to put yourself out there and make the extra effort to adjust to campus life. Volunteering to clean up around campus, joining clubs, and introducing yourself to others will not only help you grow as an individual, it will also help being away from home seem a little more bearable. In addition, the friends made in college could end up becoming life long acquaintances.

Jaymie

International Studies & Men's Ice Hockey.

International Studies & Men's Ice Hockey.

Visit the campuses, and talk to some of the professors in your possible major. I personally tried several colleges before I found the right fit, this cost me a lot of time & money. If I had been able to visit the college ahead of time, I'd have known that other colleges were not a good fit, and I would have discovered my love for SUNY Oswego much sooner.

Corinne

Easy to get along with and laid back.

Easy to get along with and laid back.

I would tell myself to relax. I think that everyone can learn and have the time of their lives and balance that. It does not have to be a rat race. It's in everyone's best interest to try new things, put themselves outside of the box, meet new people, take risks but keep in mind what you're here for. It goes by way too fast, so be sure to take it all in.

Diversity and all the opportunities to be social.

Jakob

The more important advice I would give to students about choosing the right college is to make sure it feels right for you. For example if you hate winter, do not choose a school that is cold and windy for the majority of the school year. Also Make sure that you are choosing a school where you will be able to balance your school work with your social life because even though you are going to college for school, the most successful people in life are those who can balance doing well in school or work and still have a fun, less stressful social life. Do not just pick a school because it is a big party school because even though you may have fun partying, you may not last their very long if thats all you do. You will find that you get the most of the college experience by doing your work and still having fun at times. Also get as involved with the school as possible. This way you will make more new friends and know more about your school and make more connections with other people.

I think I knew all that I wanted and needed to know.

SUNY College at Oswego administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.