Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Kristen
Great School

I love Cortland and I have a great time every day.

Great School

I love Cortland and I have a great time every day.

Olivia
Candy Land

Candy Land

SUNY Cortland is my favorite place on earth. It may not be the D1 School a lot of people hope for coming out of college, but the school spirit here is AMAZING. The nightlife is repetitive but never seems to get boring, I love being involved on campus here. Originally want to Coastal Carolina and Cortland takes the win for everything except its frigid temperatures.

Alexis

I would tell myself that making something productive out of yourself doesn't mean you have to leave home and take the biggest leap you can. When I moved four hours from home and took on a major I couldn't stay passionate about I became a different person that I didn't like and hated the entire experience. Once I finally realized that I needed to move closer to home to be near my family and do something I was more passionate about, I was much happier and far more successful. I would tell my high school self to truly look into what you're interested in and passionate about, not just traditional fields or by subject matter. Also, don't discredit two year schools, they're the first step in gaining a cost effective degree and transitioning yourself for the next.

SUNY Cortland is one of the best full communities for a college I've ever experienced. Situated in a small town in central New York it's close enough to other areas and has plenty of stuff to do but doesn't give you that large college feel. Everyone is friendly and you become a family especially as an alumni. Everyone who is part of the college is passionate about it and it really makes you feel like you're part of something important.

Matthew

SUNY Cortland is a place where you can learn new things, meet great people, (whether it's students, faculty, staff, etc.) get involved, and explore being on your own for the first time.

One thing SUNY Cortland is known for is its great professors and its sports. There is always lots of school spirit.

Balance. That's the one word that comes to mind when I think about college. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself how important it is to have balance. Everyone knows you go to college to learn and get an education. But it is more than just that. College is about having fun, meeting people, trying new things, and stepping out of your confort zone. But in order to successfully do this, you need to have BALANCE. You need to be able to balance the fun and the education parts of college. And fun doesn't always mean partying like people think. Whether it's going to the library, hanging with floor mates watching TV, studying for an upcoming exam, grabbing a bite to eat, going to the gym, meeting with a club you just joined, or the tons of other things that college campus's offer, the most important thing is to be able to balance all of these things. If you are able to balance these things, I think you would make the most of your time at college. That is the advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

Kelcie

Suny Cortland is an athletic, fun, and energetic school where the classes (for me at least) are fun and active and the tests challenging enough to make you really think out scenerios that will only help you in the future. So much is being learned everyday at Cortland, and so many lifetime friends are made.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice in highschool knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to cheer up because college is so much better and more fun than high school. I would tell myself to find something that I'm passionate about (basketball) and stick with it. I would also tell myself to stick it out and play basketball in college because playing a sport in college is so much more impotant than anything else (besides school) that's going on in my high school life. I would tell myself that high school is not even the start of my life, but once college starts, I have 4 years to get it right and work as hard as possible to graduate on time from 1 college. There are many things that I would do different, but the biggest thing that I wish I could change everyday is rewinding to my last high school basketball game where I decided to "throw in the towel" and suck it up and play in college. I had an opportunity to do so, and I turned it down. If I could di it again, I'd play basketball.

The worst thing about my school is the parking. Seeing as this school is extremely popular, there are so many students coming everyday for classes and parking spots fill fast. I commute an hour every day to attend this school, so it's hard to time it just right in order to get a close parking spot. Even the senior parking lot tags sell out within the first week of school. Other than the parking, this school is absolutely wonderful. I made a great decision coming here.

I feel that I got a lot out of my college experience, but there are a few things both socially and academically that I would change if I could go back in time and tell my high school self. Acadmically, I did well in college, but I would tell myself to really get to know the professors. You never know when you need a reference letter or connections to benefit yourself int he future. I'm not saying to 'use' the professors, but to go to their office hours and create a relationship with professors that you tend to get along with and they will be there to help you in the future. Social life is a huge part of the college exerperience. Honestly, if I could go back I would tell myself to not go to college with a boyfriend that was controlling. I missed out on a lot my freshmen year because my boyfriend did not trust me and did not want me going to certain social outings. College is a time to discover your independence, make decisions for yourself, and meet new people.

I wish I would have known to be more outgoing at first. While I did make a lot of friends by the time I graduated, I came from a small town and was really quiet at first.

I wish there were more opportunities for scholarships.

Joao

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

Become more knowledgable about the college process. Work harder to get scholarships and financial aid at a school that will make you happy. I was forced to transfer colleges and hate the second more than I hated my first school.

The school only cares about education majors. For everyone else there aren't enough classes. There are few internships and career oriented opportunities available.

Joshua

There is a mix of people who are very career focused friendly people and those that come to party.

My advice would be to just learn for the sake of learning rather than just getting by for the degree and career possibilities. Go to the library to read and do research. They have these sources on campus with endless information that we will not have access to once upon graduation. Talk to people in your field and seek out as many possibilities as you can find to improve your skills. The best piece of advice is simply to ask more questions. By constantly questioning everything you can learn so much more than by just listening and taking notes. Ask your professors, classmates, and people that you work under questions about what it is your doing and what it means. You are paying to learn, so make sure you get your money's worth.

Everyone is fit and active. There is a huge focus on exercise and a variety of sports and facilities are offered that promote this.

Apply for college now, please don't wait. Choose what you know and go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant, go. Life without a college degree is not fun, nor is it easy. Work hard at it and you will see the rewards for your work. Make friends, get out of your comfort zone and talk to people. Join a club, it's a good way to make more friends and get involved in something. Don't worry to much, have faith in yourself, you can do it.

Maria

WE'RE A SMALLER CAMPUS, BUT NOT TOO SMALL. YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THE SAME PEOPLE EVERYDAY, AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL SEE SOMEONE YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE. ITS FRIENDLY AND LIVELY.

WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING INTO POTENTIAL COLLEGES TO ATTEND AS AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT, CONSIDER ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR LIFE IN ORDER TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION. DO YOU WANT TO BE CLOSE TO YOUR FAMILY? FAR AWAY FROM YOUR FAMILY? MAYBE YOU WANT TO BE SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE. KEEP THAT IDEA IN MIND FIRST AND FOREMOST. REGRETTING WHERE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO GO TO SCHOOL AS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE IS NOT AN EASY FEELING TO DEAL WITH. I PERSONALLY CHOSE BETWEEN TWO COLLEGES BASED ON DISTANCE. I KNEW I WANTED TO BE FARTHER AWAY, BUT INSTEAD I CHOSE THE SCHOOL THAT WAS A LITTLE CLOSER BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER WHEN IT CAME TO TRAVELING HOME FOR HOLIDAYS. I REGRETTED MY DECISION, AND WAS NOT HAPPY WHERE I ATTENDED. MY FIRST CHOICE WAS WHERE I ENDED UP TRANSFERING TO AFTER MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN COLLEGE, AND I AM GLAD THAT I DID THAT. GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING, AND YOU WILL END UP HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.