Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

I wish I would have known to be more outgoing at first. While I did make a lot of friends by the time I graduated, I came from a small town and was really quiet at first.

I feel that I got a lot out of my college experience, but there are a few things both socially and academically that I would change if I could go back in time and tell my high school self. Acadmically, I did well in college, but I would tell myself to really get to know the professors. You never know when you need a reference letter or connections to benefit yourself int he future. I'm not saying to 'use' the professors, but to go to their office hours and create a relationship with professors that you tend to get along with and they will be there to help you in the future. Social life is a huge part of the college exerperience. Honestly, if I could go back I would tell myself to not go to college with a boyfriend that was controlling. I missed out on a lot my freshmen year because my boyfriend did not trust me and did not want me going to certain social outings. College is a time to discover your independence, make decisions for yourself, and meet new people.

I wish there were more opportunities for scholarships.

Joao

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

Become more knowledgable about the college process. Work harder to get scholarships and financial aid at a school that will make you happy. I was forced to transfer colleges and hate the second more than I hated my first school.

The school only cares about education majors. For everyone else there aren't enough classes. There are few internships and career oriented opportunities available.

Joshua

There is a mix of people who are very career focused friendly people and those that come to party.

My advice would be to just learn for the sake of learning rather than just getting by for the degree and career possibilities. Go to the library to read and do research. They have these sources on campus with endless information that we will not have access to once upon graduation. Talk to people in your field and seek out as many possibilities as you can find to improve your skills. The best piece of advice is simply to ask more questions. By constantly questioning everything you can learn so much more than by just listening and taking notes. Ask your professors, classmates, and people that you work under questions about what it is your doing and what it means. You are paying to learn, so make sure you get your money's worth.

Everyone is fit and active. There is a huge focus on exercise and a variety of sports and facilities are offered that promote this.

Apply for college now, please don't wait. Choose what you know and go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant, go. Life without a college degree is not fun, nor is it easy. Work hard at it and you will see the rewards for your work. Make friends, get out of your comfort zone and talk to people. Join a club, it's a good way to make more friends and get involved in something. Don't worry to much, have faith in yourself, you can do it.

Maria

WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING INTO POTENTIAL COLLEGES TO ATTEND AS AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT, CONSIDER ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR LIFE IN ORDER TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION. DO YOU WANT TO BE CLOSE TO YOUR FAMILY? FAR AWAY FROM YOUR FAMILY? MAYBE YOU WANT TO BE SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE. KEEP THAT IDEA IN MIND FIRST AND FOREMOST. REGRETTING WHERE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO GO TO SCHOOL AS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE IS NOT AN EASY FEELING TO DEAL WITH. I PERSONALLY CHOSE BETWEEN TWO COLLEGES BASED ON DISTANCE. I KNEW I WANTED TO BE FARTHER AWAY, BUT INSTEAD I CHOSE THE SCHOOL THAT WAS A LITTLE CLOSER BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER WHEN IT CAME TO TRAVELING HOME FOR HOLIDAYS. I REGRETTED MY DECISION, AND WAS NOT HAPPY WHERE I ATTENDED. MY FIRST CHOICE WAS WHERE I ENDED UP TRANSFERING TO AFTER MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN COLLEGE, AND I AM GLAD THAT I DID THAT. GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING, AND YOU WILL END UP HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE.

WE'RE A SMALLER CAMPUS, BUT NOT TOO SMALL. YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THE SAME PEOPLE EVERYDAY, AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL SEE SOMEONE YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE. ITS FRIENDLY AND LIVELY.

Jenna

Transitioning from high school to a college or university involves a drastic change in a student’s life. College does not resemble high school. A student isn’t in the school building for the entire day waiting for a bell to ring, they have to budget their own time and money, and basically have the freedom of making their own decisions without someone looking over their shoulder to guide them. If I could go back and give advice to myself about what I have experienced in the transition, I would say to manage the time you have. Make a schedule of what you want to do that week, like charity or sporting event or going to the gym. Begin the readings that you are assigned in class before the professor talks about them—you will know what they are actually saying and it helps when a quiz or test seems to creep up on you. Meet as many people as you can in your classes or in your residence hall and eventually pick a group that you enjoy being with and want to make part of your close circle. Enjoy yourself, but don’t forget why you are there, too.

Julie

SUNY Cortland helps you realize your full potential.

SUNY Cortland helps you realize your full potential.

Just be patient and realize that every assignment has a purpose.

The most frustrating things about SUNY Cortland are the weather and the size of the general education classes.

Melinda

To my high school self I want to give you some advice. Some of it will make sense, some won’t. But believe me you want to follow it. 1.Wash the makeup off your face every night; mom is right about taking care of your skin. 2.Don’t eat doughnuts for breakfast, you will gain weight and it gets harder to lose as you get older. 3.Do not smoke. 4.Appreciate the fact that you can get by with only six hours of sleep; use the time for good, not television. 5.Slow down behind the wheel, nothing is so important you should risk your life and lives of others. 6.Love your friends; many won’t make it out of their twenties. 7.Do not get credit cards, just don’t. 8.That boy you love so very much is going to get you pregnant and leave you, but your kid will be amazing. 9.Appreciate your Dad more. He may be a gigantic pain but you will miss him someday. 10.Love deeply and without conditions. 11.Every mistake is a lesson learned. 12.Anything and everything you put on the internet is PERMANENT.

Kimberly

Cortland is an awesome school for teachers and physical education majors. Cortland was originally called "The Teacher's School", and it wasn't until much later in it's life that Cortland opened up to other majors. It's a highly competitive athletic school and there is always something to do. Though Cortland's majority of students are teaching or P.E. majors, all of the departments are excellent and have professors that hold office hours so that students are always able to meet with them for extra help.

If I had the opportunity to talk to "High School Senior Kim", I would tell her to apply for more scholarships during high school. I did very well in high school and applied for a ton of scholarships, but I would tell myself to apply day and night until I received something. I would tell her that Mom's health is going to go downhill soon and you can't let her and Dad bear the burden of school bills. "Start establishing your credit." I would tell her. "Mom and Dad can't take out any loans because of Mom's medical bills." I would remind her that her parents will do whatever they can in order for her to go to the school of her choice, but she won't want them stressing out over something like that when there are bigger matters at hand.

Being an out-of-state student, the tuition is by far the worst thing about the school. I love the school, but my mom had a heart attack not long ago and medical bills have mounted, making it very difficult to pay the bill. Cortland offers very few scholarships and has far too many people applying for them. Loans are no help and you can not claim residency; they require tax returns, drivers license, etc. because they want all the money they can get, and their out-of-state students pay MUCH more than the in-state ones.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.