Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Joao

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

About 90% of my classmates are unmotivated and do just enough work to get by.

Become more knowledgable about the college process. Work harder to get scholarships and financial aid at a school that will make you happy. I was forced to transfer colleges and hate the second more than I hated my first school.

The school only cares about education majors. For everyone else there aren't enough classes. There are few internships and career oriented opportunities available.

Joshua

There is a mix of people who are very career focused friendly people and those that come to party.

My advice would be to just learn for the sake of learning rather than just getting by for the degree and career possibilities. Go to the library to read and do research. They have these sources on campus with endless information that we will not have access to once upon graduation. Talk to people in your field and seek out as many possibilities as you can find to improve your skills. The best piece of advice is simply to ask more questions. By constantly questioning everything you can learn so much more than by just listening and taking notes. Ask your professors, classmates, and people that you work under questions about what it is your doing and what it means. You are paying to learn, so make sure you get your money's worth.

Everyone is fit and active. There is a huge focus on exercise and a variety of sports and facilities are offered that promote this.

Apply for college now, please don't wait. Choose what you know and go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant, go. Life without a college degree is not fun, nor is it easy. Work hard at it and you will see the rewards for your work. Make friends, get out of your comfort zone and talk to people. Join a club, it's a good way to make more friends and get involved in something. Don't worry to much, have faith in yourself, you can do it.

Maria

WE'RE A SMALLER CAMPUS, BUT NOT TOO SMALL. YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THE SAME PEOPLE EVERYDAY, AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL SEE SOMEONE YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE. ITS FRIENDLY AND LIVELY.

WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING INTO POTENTIAL COLLEGES TO ATTEND AS AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT, CONSIDER ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR LIFE IN ORDER TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION. DO YOU WANT TO BE CLOSE TO YOUR FAMILY? FAR AWAY FROM YOUR FAMILY? MAYBE YOU WANT TO BE SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE. KEEP THAT IDEA IN MIND FIRST AND FOREMOST. REGRETTING WHERE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO GO TO SCHOOL AS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE IS NOT AN EASY FEELING TO DEAL WITH. I PERSONALLY CHOSE BETWEEN TWO COLLEGES BASED ON DISTANCE. I KNEW I WANTED TO BE FARTHER AWAY, BUT INSTEAD I CHOSE THE SCHOOL THAT WAS A LITTLE CLOSER BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER WHEN IT CAME TO TRAVELING HOME FOR HOLIDAYS. I REGRETTED MY DECISION, AND WAS NOT HAPPY WHERE I ATTENDED. MY FIRST CHOICE WAS WHERE I ENDED UP TRANSFERING TO AFTER MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN COLLEGE, AND I AM GLAD THAT I DID THAT. GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING, AND YOU WILL END UP HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE.

Jenna

Transitioning from high school to a college or university involves a drastic change in a student’s life. College does not resemble high school. A student isn’t in the school building for the entire day waiting for a bell to ring, they have to budget their own time and money, and basically have the freedom of making their own decisions without someone looking over their shoulder to guide them. If I could go back and give advice to myself about what I have experienced in the transition, I would say to manage the time you have. Make a schedule of what you want to do that week, like charity or sporting event or going to the gym. Begin the readings that you are assigned in class before the professor talks about them—you will know what they are actually saying and it helps when a quiz or test seems to creep up on you. Meet as many people as you can in your classes or in your residence hall and eventually pick a group that you enjoy being with and want to make part of your close circle. Enjoy yourself, but don’t forget why you are there, too.

Julie

SUNY Cortland helps you realize your full potential.

SUNY Cortland helps you realize your full potential.

Just be patient and realize that every assignment has a purpose.

The most frustrating things about SUNY Cortland are the weather and the size of the general education classes.

Melinda

To my high school self I want to give you some advice. Some of it will make sense, some won’t. But believe me you want to follow it. 1.Wash the makeup off your face every night; mom is right about taking care of your skin. 2.Don’t eat doughnuts for breakfast, you will gain weight and it gets harder to lose as you get older. 3.Do not smoke. 4.Appreciate the fact that you can get by with only six hours of sleep; use the time for good, not television. 5.Slow down behind the wheel, nothing is so important you should risk your life and lives of others. 6.Love your friends; many won’t make it out of their twenties. 7.Do not get credit cards, just don’t. 8.That boy you love so very much is going to get you pregnant and leave you, but your kid will be amazing. 9.Appreciate your Dad more. He may be a gigantic pain but you will miss him someday. 10.Love deeply and without conditions. 11.Every mistake is a lesson learned. 12.Anything and everything you put on the internet is PERMANENT.

Kimberly

Cortland is an awesome school for teachers and physical education majors. Cortland was originally called "The Teacher's School", and it wasn't until much later in it's life that Cortland opened up to other majors. It's a highly competitive athletic school and there is always something to do. Though Cortland's majority of students are teaching or P.E. majors, all of the departments are excellent and have professors that hold office hours so that students are always able to meet with them for extra help.

If I had the opportunity to talk to "High School Senior Kim", I would tell her to apply for more scholarships during high school. I did very well in high school and applied for a ton of scholarships, but I would tell myself to apply day and night until I received something. I would tell her that Mom's health is going to go downhill soon and you can't let her and Dad bear the burden of school bills. "Start establishing your credit." I would tell her. "Mom and Dad can't take out any loans because of Mom's medical bills." I would remind her that her parents will do whatever they can in order for her to go to the school of her choice, but she won't want them stressing out over something like that when there are bigger matters at hand.

Being an out-of-state student, the tuition is by far the worst thing about the school. I love the school, but my mom had a heart attack not long ago and medical bills have mounted, making it very difficult to pay the bill. Cortland offers very few scholarships and has far too many people applying for them. Loans are no help and you can not claim residency; they require tax returns, drivers license, etc. because they want all the money they can get, and their out-of-state students pay MUCH more than the in-state ones.

Kerri

Overall, I am in love with my school. The summer after senior year of high school I was very hesitant about actually going away to school, but now that I am in my senior year of college I cannot imagine what life will be like leaving this school. The best thing about my school is that it is big, but not too big. By senior year you cannot go somewhere without seeing a familiar face and that's very comforting.The professors at my school, for the most part, are very approachable and will do anything to help you succeed in their classes. There's not one thing I would change about my school, except the weather here! It gets very cold in the winter. On campus, a lot of my time is spent in my classes, at the gym, at the library, or getting food somewhere (there are so many places to eat and all of the food is so yummy). I definitely think that there is a lot of school spirit, and we all truly love going here. One major example of our school pride is the cortaca football game. This is when our football team plays against Ithaca college and our school spirit truly shows. Everyone goes to the game wearing red (since our colors are red andn black), faces painted, we support our football team, and it's a lot of fun. Experiences that I'll always remember are the cortaca football games, and joining a sorority. My sorority gave me a group of really great friends who I can always go to when I need someone to talk to or just to hang out with. It really is an awesome experience. The biggest complaint at my school is probably just about going to class and doing homework, but you can find that at almost every campus. It's never an excessive amount of work, but you just have to make sure you don't fall behind because then you'll be in trouble. In Cortland, there are a few places to go to have fun. There is an glow in the dark mini golf which is a lot of fun, a movie theater, good places to eat, and there are always on campus events and sporting events to enjoy.

There are many things that every freshman should know before they come to SUNY Cortland. The most important thing that was shocking to me, is that it gets really cold and really fast. It starts snowing sometimes as early as mid-October. Be sure to bring up some winter clothes and a coat when you first come here. Even though it gets cold fast, definitely bring a fan, because the dorm rooms get really hot and there is no air conditioning. Another important thing is to stay on top of your work. Do not fall behind. college classes are a lot harder than high school classes and involve a lot more work (which is hard to transition to after having senioritis haha), but it is definitely manageable as long as you do your work on time and don't procrastinate too much. I have known a few people who have dropped out because they have skipped too many classes or they failed and it's a very sad thing. Another important thing to remember is to join as many things as you can and remain active. It's nice to joing a group of people to hang out with and to do fun activities with. It's my senior year and although I'm in a sorority and already am involved in something, I wish I would have involved myself a lot more. There are so many clubs I wish I would have taken a part in and I wish I would have went to more campus event and sports games. Another thing to remember is to be friendly and try to meet as many people as you can. It may be hard to meet new people and to transition from living at home to not, and being away from your parents, but I promise it will totally be worth it and you will love your time at Cortland!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I remember kind of being out of the loop during high school. Even though I had a brother and sister who had gone through the application process and who were already in college, I never really thought about where I wanted to go. SUNY schools were obviously at the top of my list, for financial reasons. They were the cheapest schools, besides the community schools by my house. I knew that I had definitely wanted to go away to school just to get the experience and to meet a ton of new people, but I didn't want to go too far. I still wanted to be able to get on a bus and be home in about 5 hours (although the bus ride takes a lot longer because of all of the stops). One day senior year (I think), my friend told me she was visiting SUNY Cortland. This was one of my top choices for schools, because they had a really good education program, which was what I am going for (childhood education major - elementary school). I asked her if I could go with her, and she said yes. We went in the fall and as soon as we pulled up, I knew this was the place I wanted to spend the next four years of my life. The campus was absolutely beautiful and the trees were so pretty with their orange and red leaves. Also, to be honest the first building we saw reminded me a lot of my high school and that was comforting to me too. Another deciding factor, besides location, cost, and major, was that I knew a few people from high school who were going. My best friend (even though she later transferred home) also decided to go there and it was nice to have that comfort there in case I needed it. I am asbolutely thrilled about the decision I made, because Cortland has so far been the best three years of my life!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene it my school is not as popular as it is at some other schools, but it still is a pretty big thing. At almost every sporting event, students wear red and black to support our teams with the school colors, and some students even paint their faces. It's free to get in, and at most of the games there are concession stands or somewhere to buy food in case you get hungry. Once at the games, students get really involved and cheer on for the Cortland sports teams. Although the stands are not always packed, there is always a really good turnout. Like i said before, Cortaca is the one major sporting event that pretty much the entire school gets involved with. Cortaca day is one of the best days at Cortland by far. If interested in joining a sport, there are so many sports to choose from, and you can either join the competitive team, and intramural, or a club sport. A lot of variety!

At my school, greek life is pretty popular. There are five sororities, three fraternities, as well as a coed fraternity which is community service based, and many racial sororities and fraternities. Sport teams are also very popular at my school. Not just varsity sports, but club sports and intramural. There is kickline, dance company, and danceworks, as well as many educational clubs that fit your interest. I personally am involved in a sorority. My Spring semester freshman year I joined the Sigma Delta Tau sorority and I have absolutely loved every second of it, I am so sad this is my last semester being a part of it! Our philanthropy is Prevent Child Abuse America, where we fundraise to raise money for this cause (this year we ran a car wash to raise money). We also do many other community service activities, such as decorating our house and letting the neighborhood children come trick-or-treat, this activity is called Safe Halloween, and we participate in many other activities. It is nice to always have a friend to help you when you are in need and to just hang out with! Joining this sorority is definitely how I met my closest friends, and it opens up the doors to meet many people on sports teams, in other sororities, and in fraternities. In the dorm rooms, the only time you will find a closes door is when people are not home. The students here are so friendly and interested in meeting new people all the time! Athletic event are very popular, and as I explained before, the Cortaca Jug football game is one time when almost the whole campus participates and shows school spirit at the games. You will always find a large group of students and family members at the sporting events. Almost every week night, SUNY Cortland has a guest speaker or an educational movie to be shown, and there is always something to get involved with. I recently went to an activity called "Freedom Riders." This was when an African American speaker came in to speak to us about her time throughout segregation and then she played the movie "Freedom Riders" for us. It was a very moving event. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am either watching movies with my friends or doing some last minute homework that I have unfortunately procrastinated on. Usually on week nights I am sleeping pretty early to get some rest for the next day. There are a few traditions at my school. One as previously mentioned is the Cortaca Jug football game. We also have Scholar's Day, which is when we get off on a Monday to recognize the students. We have a Spring Fling where many music artists have come to perform. While I have been at SUNY Cortland OAR, The Fray, and Kid Cudi have performed. Also, many guest speaker events happen each year, such as hazing awareness and alcohol awareness. Fraternities and sororities are pretty important, but like I said before there are so many other clubs and activities that people are involved with instead. Off campus there are a few things that you can do. We have an outdoor and glow in the dark indoor mini golf course, a movie theater, a bowling alley, the driving range, and a few shops. Also, Syracuse and Ithaca have nice, big malls which are between 20-40 minutes away if you have a car. Those are many of the activities you can participate in that doesn't involve drinking. There are also many dorm events and on campus activities you can participate. A lot of people hang out with each other and that doesn't involved drinking either. Overall, SUNY Cortland is loaded with many organizations, acitivities, and fun events!

The students at my school are very mixed religiously, racially, and ethnically. It is nice to have a good mix of students and to meet people different from yourself. I know a lot of people say it's a nice experience after only having one race as the majority at their high school. It definitely opens your eyes to new things. No one would really feel out of place if you came here, because there is something for everyone. There are many fraternities and sororities to join, which are all unique and special in their own ways. There are sports, club sports, and intramural sports to join, which gives you many options. There are also so many clubs to join so you have many ways to get involved and meet new people. At my school, students mostly wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to class. Typically no one really gets dressed up for class, which I like better because I feel more comfortable with my ugg boots, sweatshirt, and jeans on. There's no segregation or stereotyped groups at my school. Everyone mingles and finds their own group of people to be friends with. Often times groups of friends are formed freshman year by the people in your building and on your floor. Most students at my school are from Long Island, but there are a bunch from Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Rockland County, and even some out of state students from places like New Jersey, Arizona, Florida, etc. Most students at this school are middle class and use loans and financial aid to pay for school, but money isn 't a very popular thing to talk about at my school. From my experience, a lot of people voted in the presidential election, but not many people are too involved in politics.

As previously stated, my school is big but not too bad. Some of the classes (mostly general education classes) are in large lecture halls and the teachers don't really get a chance to know your name unless you really make an effort. Once you get into your major classes and some of the other classes range from 20-30 students and the teachers truly know each of their students. It's definitely nice having a relationship with my teachers and that I can feel comfortable enough with them that I am able to talk to them when necessary. Since I am a childhood education major, I would have to say one of my favorite classes is EDU 479. This is a class that is required for my major, and I have learned many helpful things. We write lessons, and learn different techniques. Also as a requirement in this class, we must complete 50 hours in an elementary school classroom that SUNY Cortland places us in and we must teach three lessons. I have gained a lot of teaching experience and it has been very beneficial to me. My least favorite class was probably intro to psychology. Psychology and sciences are my weakest areas and therefore I did not do very well in it. Also, the teacher was a little tough and it was in a large lecture hall, which I did not like. Just like at any other school, students must study in order to do well in their classes. Class participation is very common. In lecture halls, usually only the brave, outgoing students will participate, but in the smaller classrooms mostly everyone does. My school is top ten in the nation for childhood education and the professors really help prepare you for job. for childhood education you must complete 100 hours total in two different elementary classroom placements. This gives you a lot of experience in the classroom to help prepare you for student teaching and your actual teaching job. There also is seminars on how to write resumes and cover letters which is helpful since those can be pretty tricky. Towards the end of college you are very well prepared to create and write your own lesson plans for multiple subjects. Professors are very willing to help you outside of class. each professor has office hours where you can meet with them, and they are more than willing to schedule appointments if you can't make it to their office hours. They are very accomodating and try to help you fully succeed. The education at this school both helps you learn a lot of important information and it helps prepare you for a real job.

One major stereotype at my school is that it is a huge party school. People think that SUNY Cortland is full of alcoholics who only know how to party, drink, and do drugs. Another stereotype is fraternity and sorority kids. I obviously did not know this before coming to school here, because that would have been a major turn off for me but I heard things of that nature from people once I started going here. After being at school here for three years, I have noticed that my school is full of students who are hard workers and eager to learn. Yes, greek life is a large aspect but it is also full of athletes and many other educational clubs to become a part of.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.