Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Christopher

I would tell myself to make many friends from all cultures, but make sure that you balance your social life with your academic life. For example, do not forget about the readings that your professor assigns. You have to read to succeed in school, because if you do not you will be behind and it will be very hard to catch up with the rest of the class. I would also tell myself to get more involved in on campus activities. You can make many life long friends on campus and have a great time. This also helps pass the time on the weekend, as it is a way to have fun without alcohol. Dont go to school looking to party. Instead, go to school looking for friends, a new outlook on life, and direction towards your future. With this information, you can get the most out of your college experience and make your life long goals a reality.

I think that there are two types of people that should attend Cortland. One being future teachers, especially Special Education majors, because Cortland has a great Inclusive Special Ed program as well as a great Education program as a whole. Second, students who are very involved in sports will find Cortland great because of the many sport based activities and the great amount of school spirit surrounding sporting events.

I think that the most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that it is hard for me to pay for. I feel that being in the middle class hurts me when it comes to paying for my education, because it is hard for me to afford the tuition and I do not recieve that much financial aid because of my parents income. With their income alone and the little financial aid that I recieve, it is hard for me to afford school tuition, especially now that my sister is entering college next year.

Timothy

SUNY Cortland is a great mid sized college that offers a friendly campus atmosphere with various athletic and extra curricular activities.

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time there would be alot of words of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior. The big thing that I had to learn when I went away to school was time management. I would tell myself that while you may be in class for less hours per day then you are in high school, the difference in out of class work is tremendous. It is crucial to plan your out of class time so that the appropiate amount of studying, planning, and homework may be done. Other words of advice I would give myself is to have an open mind to new things and people as college can be a tremendous once in a lifetime experience that may change you forever. Lastly, the advice I would give myself is to act like a professional. College is a stepping stone to a lifetime career which will define you. Being prepared and acting in a professional manor will only put you ahead of your competition .

SUNY Cortland cab have some harsh weather in the winter months making it harder to get to class.

Elisa

"Don't hold back" is one thing I would say to myself if I could go back in time. Let yourself live every moment to its fullest and appreciate all the people you meet and don't let anyone hold you back from anything; do what makes you happy. Another thing I would tell myself is "School comes first!". Don't get behind on your work and always go to class. Professors in college aren't like your high school teachers, they aren't going to remind you what is due or when it's due, you're going to have to stay on top of it all by yourself. You're a big kid now and it's on you to make something of yourself and make yourself proud. Also, don't be afraid of your professors. They are there to help you out too and they are more than willing to assist you with anything you need.

Don't take advantage of all the parties too quickly. You're there for 4 years take your time. I wish I had done so. I was so caught up in everything and enjoying myself that my academics took a backseat to my partying and my gpa suffered from it. I currently hav a 2.3 and i want to go to law school so I'll be working extra hard in the months to come. Remember that school comes first and you are paying however much to get an education not a beer belly.

My school is a great school and I love everything about it. The college is sort of in the middle of no where but the people you meet are so friendly and polite. The kind of person that should go to this school are people who want to have fun but also know that school comes first.

Kristy

Suny Cortland is and amazing place to go in order to gain the necessary education you need to further your academic career but not only that to meet a great bunch of people that you will have a relationship with for the rest of your life!

My classmates are really nice. There are a mixture of freshman, sophmores, juniors, and seniors depending on the classes that you take however at Cortland the only time you are really mixed is at a lecture class. Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help you all you have to do is not be afraid to ask and the actually ask! When in college most people are in the same boat as you just some have a little bit more experience and if you are willing to take the time to ask they will help!

College is an experience that no one can ever prepare you for! A lot of people such as older siblings, parents, teachers, etc. can tell you what to look forward to but it's definitely an experience that has to be fulfilled by you and only you inorder to get the full affect. The transition is tough! Some high schools such as mine are pretty easy to learn the necessary things to just get by with an easy A but college is very different. No one in college is there to wake you up in the morning for class, the professors do not care whether you study or not, they don't care if you pass or fail. It's up to you to do it for yourself! You do a lot of growing up just make sure to act like the adult that you have become when you accepted your spot in college. Also remember that being a college student is your fulltime job so take it seriously! You may be totally concerned with the "parties" but you have to learn to balance out your social and academic life. Know your priorities and you will have a good firstyear!

BreAnn

Making the transition from a high school senior to a college freshman can be rough. The workload of a high school senior getting ready to graduate can be overwhelming. The advice I would give to myself would be to know your priorities as a senior in high school and trying to get into the college you want. I would suggest getting your financial aid taken care of as soon as its available to increase your chances towards grants and other student aid. Getting ready for graduation is already enough to worry about along with getting ready for college. Learning to apply to the colleges and getting your finances and classes taken care of ,is the first to do, while also getting living situations figured out. The transition is hectic at times but well worth it in the end. Just keep your head held high and make lists of what you need to do and there deadlines.

It is probably best known for its sports program. It is one of the best DIII schools in a lot of its athletic programs. It also has a large education program, in particular Physical Education.

The main advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to not slack off as much as I did, and as many did, during Senior year. I needed to better prepare myself mentally for the college lifestyle that I was entering into, and I did not feel as prepared as I thought I would be. So I would tell myself to mentally prepare for college and work on procrastinating less. Procrastination is still an issue that most students face today so it is important to change in high school so that one can go into college more prepared and deal with the large increase in workload. I would also tell myself to finish all of my work and put enought effort into my work so that it was always a product that I could be proud of. By caring about my work more in high school, it would have allowed me to easily put in the effort I needed once I got to college.

The best thing about my school is that it is a very sport-oriented campus. Many people on campus are athletic, enjoy working out, and play intramural sports if they are not on a varsity team. Students on campus have a lot of school pride and attend sports games to support our teams.

Agenda book, agenda book, agenda book. My school district used aenda books from 5th grade on. We were required to have them filled in daily and signed by our parents in the early grades, but as we got older it was more of a choice. I got lazy in high school and didn't utilize it much. I wish it had become a habit because even though I was a diligent student, I learned early on in college that time management was crutial. After a while I needed to start using an organizer si I ws able to map out what I needed to accomplish for each week. Once I got in the habit of this I felt less stressed and work didn't seem so overwhelmng.

The kind of person that should attend SUNY Cortland should be self motivated and self disciplined with the ability to learn how to balance all the opportunities and experiences that Cortland has to offer. It is not a "party school", but a valuable stepping stone to life as an adult. Cortland has an awesome sports program, every club you could imagine, amazing academic opportunities and a super fun social atmosphere, so don't blow it. You become instantly independent when your parents say goodbye, so enjoy the freedom responsibily.

My experience at Cortland to date has been really positive. I was a vey motivated student in High school so I thought the academics at college would be easy, I learned quickly that I needed to think differently. I needed to learn how to manage my time in a very different way then I was used to. Initially, I was frustrated that I had to take a 1 credit core class, which is mandated because it addresses the first year questions and problems that I faced, it ultimately made my adjustment to college life a succcessful one.

Michelle

The teachers at, what we the students call, C-State really care about their students. All the teachers I had during my first semester made me feel like they were always available to talk if I had a problem; and they usually were. This quality assures me that I truly picked the right school.

Michelle, everything will be ok. You're out of "the city," you don't and shouldn't be putting on a front as everyone does when you're back home. There are going to be people that are extremely nice no matter what, so don't be so discouraged right away. Always be yourself, be open and don't be so shy or scared just because you aren't used to having this many classmates. STAY POSITIVE, don't give up hope. If things don't turn out the way you want them to, don't stress; have faith that something better will come along. Drop the somewhat negative mentality you have been coerced to have because of your upbringing; Cortland is the complete opposite of Manhattan and you need to prepare for the changes. Just remember, don't stress, stay positive, and do your readings!

How good the food is! It's better than decent, which is the word most of my friends use to describe their school's food.

Melissa

Looking back at myself as a high school senior is like looking at a stranger. I was insecure about everything. Knowing what I know now about college life, there is a lot of advise I would give my high school senior self. I believe there are two key pieces of advise that has allowed me to grow and succeed thus far. My first piece of advise would be to figure out what your priorities are. Having your priorities set will make all of life's transitions less complicated. Acknowledging what's important makes decisions easier to make and lessens the inevitable stress in one's life. My second piece of advise is to be confident with who you are. As a child and throughout my high school years I was painfully shy. I was so focused on the possibility that people may not like me that I never gave them a chance to know me. Since making the transition to college, I realized the importance of liking yourself and not worrying about what others think. Accepting myself has allowed me to come out of my shell and enjoy life in a way I was too afarid to before.

If I were allowed to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to stay truthful to who you are and push yourself. I would tell myself that it is ok to study for a test while your friends are in the other room watching tv. College is for you and not anyone else. It doesn't matter if your friends at school think you study too much, because it doesn't affect their grades, their money, or their future. If you know that what you are doing is for your benefit then you should stick to your goals and try your best to make them happen. College is all about opportunity and the only way you can succeed is to do what you think is right. Do what you came to do in college and in the end everything will work out the way you planned.

What I think is the best thing about my school, is that for the most part everyone that goes there is interested in the same things. Cortland is a very althletic school, and I enjoy working out and dealing with sports. The programs they offer there are benefical to my interests and my major. I feel that I can be in whatever major I want and still confident that the classes I had previously taken will still help me graduate and wont be wasted.

The most frustrating thing about the school I attended, would be the amount of options to choose from. My school has so many interesting classes, and different career pathes to choose from that at times I am unsure what route I should take. It can be overwhelming at times but I figure it is better to have more options and opportunities than to be limited to on what you can do.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.