Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

I am just starting college after a 10 year absence. I am very excited about the program I am going to be doing! I have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years and my husband is a self-employed General Contractor. My goal is to complete an Interior Architecture & design program to help my family. I will be able to offer services to my husband?s company and also be able to feel a sense of accomplishment in being able to provide for my family. I know that my going back to college will set a wonderful example to my 2 small children. I am really looking forward to the knowledge that I will gain from this experience and then be able to apply it in the real world.

Cristina

I am part of APAC (Aids Prevention and Awareness Committee), part of the Planning Committee for SUNY Cortland's First Annual Conference for Diversity and Social Justice this year; a member of Spectrum, the Gay-Straight Alliance at Cortland, and was a model in 2 fashion shows that raised money for Haitian Relief and an all girls school in Africa. All of these things and more have helped me in getting the most out of my college career. These organizations all help others, which is something I strongly believe in. I don't think anyone can be a productive member of society without having an urge to help others ? which is why I want to teach. It has been valuable for me to attend Cortland because it's a very close knit community, and if it was a bigger school, I don't think I would have gotten as involved, because I wouldn't have known where anything was or when meetings were. Cortland is also the best school in the SUNY system, and the Northeast, for teaching, therefore giving me a great advantage over other teachers because when someone sees Cortland on a transcript, they automatically thing teaching.

The people. The teachers and students here are very involved and helpful to eachother. When one is in trouble or being abused in any way, someone will always come to help them.

How to manage my time better. Better study habits.

At SUNY Cortland there are such great opportunities for any type of student. There are so many sports teams, club teams, intramurals, along with organizations like AIDS Awareness, NYPIRG, sororities, fraternities, art clubs, writing clubs. There is honestly something to do here for anyone who is willing to try something new. I'm currently involved in a water skiing team. Everyone is encourged to try something new, no one judges your knowledge or skill level. I played Melonball for the first time and I participated in community service events and took a trip to a Native Indian reservation.

From SUNY Cortland I have really been able to put myself in situations and among people I never would have had the opportunity to before. I have pushed myself to do things such as try certain clubs or intramural activities. Cortland invites everyone to try anything they would like. Normally SUNY Cortland is known for it's athletics and physical education majors, however, I am a community health major and I fit right in. Many of my friends are in majors such as Criminology, Math education, sports training, and even in graduate program for medical. The campus is close to downtown and beautiful, insight of mountians and green hills. I have made great friends at Cortland, ones that will outlast my school years and I have learned many valuble lessons and I am only a freshman. I cannot wait to see what else I try, who else I meet, and what else is there for me to learn.

The most frustrating thing about SUNY Cortland is that it's 30-45 minutes from any major cities such as Binghamton and Syracuse. Coming from Long Island I am used to city life and busy streets. There is a great downtown life though with a few bars and places to eat, although it is small, its definately adaquite. Although there is no pressure what-so-ever to join a sorority or sports team, if you are not involved in any clubs or activities you definately get bored easily.

Danielle

There is a real sense of commeraderie between students at Cortland. THere is great support academically and socially. I have personally used the tutoring services and am a part of the Non-Traditional Students Organization. The NTSO makes a great difference to those of us that are older or have children or spouses, etc!

Be social, get involved. There are scholarships that depend on it and it really helps to have friends to see you through. It's OK to try different things and to go to college not sure of what you want to be. It's OK to be a kid for another 4 years.

There are some faculty members who are really old at Cortland. It would be nice if they could be replaced, however there is currently a hiring freeze in NY state.

Adam

It is known for being a party school. But it also is a tough school to get into. In addition it is also known for its athletics. The sports teams usually do well and everyone that comes to the school is usually pretty active.

I would of told myself to work harder in school and receive better grades. I think sometimes i did not work as hard as i could of. But other than that i wouldnt tell myself anything else. I like new things and new experiences and i adjust to new things well.

I would of liked more details on my living situation, but that has nothing to do with the school. Because i live off campus.

Christopher

I would tell myself to make many friends from all cultures, but make sure that you balance your social life with your academic life. For example, do not forget about the readings that your professor assigns. You have to read to succeed in school, because if you do not you will be behind and it will be very hard to catch up with the rest of the class. I would also tell myself to get more involved in on campus activities. You can make many life long friends on campus and have a great time. This also helps pass the time on the weekend, as it is a way to have fun without alcohol. Dont go to school looking to party. Instead, go to school looking for friends, a new outlook on life, and direction towards your future. With this information, you can get the most out of your college experience and make your life long goals a reality.

I think that there are two types of people that should attend Cortland. One being future teachers, especially Special Education majors, because Cortland has a great Inclusive Special Ed program as well as a great Education program as a whole. Second, students who are very involved in sports will find Cortland great because of the many sport based activities and the great amount of school spirit surrounding sporting events.

I think that the most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that it is hard for me to pay for. I feel that being in the middle class hurts me when it comes to paying for my education, because it is hard for me to afford the tuition and I do not recieve that much financial aid because of my parents income. With their income alone and the little financial aid that I recieve, it is hard for me to afford school tuition, especially now that my sister is entering college next year.

Timothy

SUNY Cortland is a great mid sized college that offers a friendly campus atmosphere with various athletic and extra curricular activities.

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time there would be alot of words of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior. The big thing that I had to learn when I went away to school was time management. I would tell myself that while you may be in class for less hours per day then you are in high school, the difference in out of class work is tremendous. It is crucial to plan your out of class time so that the appropiate amount of studying, planning, and homework may be done. Other words of advice I would give myself is to have an open mind to new things and people as college can be a tremendous once in a lifetime experience that may change you forever. Lastly, the advice I would give myself is to act like a professional. College is a stepping stone to a lifetime career which will define you. Being prepared and acting in a professional manor will only put you ahead of your competition .

SUNY Cortland cab have some harsh weather in the winter months making it harder to get to class.

Elisa

"Don't hold back" is one thing I would say to myself if I could go back in time. Let yourself live every moment to its fullest and appreciate all the people you meet and don't let anyone hold you back from anything; do what makes you happy. Another thing I would tell myself is "School comes first!". Don't get behind on your work and always go to class. Professors in college aren't like your high school teachers, they aren't going to remind you what is due or when it's due, you're going to have to stay on top of it all by yourself. You're a big kid now and it's on you to make something of yourself and make yourself proud. Also, don't be afraid of your professors. They are there to help you out too and they are more than willing to assist you with anything you need.

Don't take advantage of all the parties too quickly. You're there for 4 years take your time. I wish I had done so. I was so caught up in everything and enjoying myself that my academics took a backseat to my partying and my gpa suffered from it. I currently hav a 2.3 and i want to go to law school so I'll be working extra hard in the months to come. Remember that school comes first and you are paying however much to get an education not a beer belly.

My school is a great school and I love everything about it. The college is sort of in the middle of no where but the people you meet are so friendly and polite. The kind of person that should go to this school are people who want to have fun but also know that school comes first.

Kristy

Suny Cortland is and amazing place to go in order to gain the necessary education you need to further your academic career but not only that to meet a great bunch of people that you will have a relationship with for the rest of your life!

My classmates are really nice. There are a mixture of freshman, sophmores, juniors, and seniors depending on the classes that you take however at Cortland the only time you are really mixed is at a lecture class. Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help you all you have to do is not be afraid to ask and the actually ask! When in college most people are in the same boat as you just some have a little bit more experience and if you are willing to take the time to ask they will help!

College is an experience that no one can ever prepare you for! A lot of people such as older siblings, parents, teachers, etc. can tell you what to look forward to but it's definitely an experience that has to be fulfilled by you and only you inorder to get the full affect. The transition is tough! Some high schools such as mine are pretty easy to learn the necessary things to just get by with an easy A but college is very different. No one in college is there to wake you up in the morning for class, the professors do not care whether you study or not, they don't care if you pass or fail. It's up to you to do it for yourself! You do a lot of growing up just make sure to act like the adult that you have become when you accepted your spot in college. Also remember that being a college student is your fulltime job so take it seriously! You may be totally concerned with the "parties" but you have to learn to balance out your social and academic life. Know your priorities and you will have a good firstyear!

BreAnn

Making the transition from a high school senior to a college freshman can be rough. The workload of a high school senior getting ready to graduate can be overwhelming. The advice I would give to myself would be to know your priorities as a senior in high school and trying to get into the college you want. I would suggest getting your financial aid taken care of as soon as its available to increase your chances towards grants and other student aid. Getting ready for graduation is already enough to worry about along with getting ready for college. Learning to apply to the colleges and getting your finances and classes taken care of ,is the first to do, while also getting living situations figured out. The transition is hectic at times but well worth it in the end. Just keep your head held high and make lists of what you need to do and there deadlines.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.