Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Jacqueline

One of the unique aspects of the school was it's location 5 miles from a ski resort and centrally located between Syracuse and Ithaca.

If I was able to go back to my high school self I would tell myself to start right out in a four year school. One thing I missed when I transfered was that I was now a Junior in a brand new school living in a dorm with freshman and sophmores. The students in my classes were all Juniors. These juniors established their network of friends when they were freshman. Tyring to break into the group was practically impossible. After class you went back to your dorm and they went to off campus housing. Typically when you start together as freshman you share similar experineces. As a freshman your more likely to associate more with your fellow class mates you all live in the same dorm go to the same cafeteria, but its not the case when your a junior. You are a lone wolf in a pack of dogs. If I would have known how hard it was going to be to merge into this preset culture, I would have rather started my college experience at a four year school. If only I had known then what I know now, I pry would have enjoyed it....

I fully believe that any type of person could attend Cortland. There were many different majors that could apply to any individual interested in Science, Math, Pschyology, Arts, and Athletics. I would not be able to define a type person as not being able to attend this school it was very diverse in studies and people.

Pamela

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, I will tell myself to learn better study and paper writing skills. The way you have to do research, write, cite and study in high school is no where near what it is like in college. I had no idea what APA format was when I reached college let alone how to properly cite something. I also would tell myself to learn how to conduct proper research and the difference between scholarly and non-scholarly journals . I spent my undergratuate years pratically living in the academic support center receiving help with the above mentioned skills These skills are very important in your success in college, If I had known that back then I feel I would have had better adademic success.

I consider the option for distance learning the best thing about my school. I am a single parent who works full time, if only a traditional classroom setting was offered I would not have been able to complete my masters. I love the flexibility that distance learning gives you. You can attend class virtually at anytime of the day or night.

As a distance learner at SU I highly recommend individuals with busy schedules, have children, or do not live near SU. As a single parent I have found that distance learning through SU enabled me to pursue my masters degree during a time that I would have not been able to complete traditional classroom learning.

Joseph

Athletic students are a commonplace here because the sports teams are competitive and successfull, creating a competitive atmosphere where everyone is driven to succeed at their highest potential.

Have fun in college and make friends. They are going to help you make the transition to a new life. You may start to realize that you lose track of some of your friends from high school but if you make the attempt to keep in touch with them, they will keep in touch with you. College is about new experiences and you are going to enjoy those experiences with new people as long as you let them in. Most importantly, don't go to school to be an engineer. You are going to realize that going to college to make a lot of money in the future isn't what you want to do. Besides if you go to an engineering college you might join the Marine Corps like I did. You have always wanted to be a teacher so do it and stop worrying about how much money you are going to make. And last but not least, Meaghan is likely to become your fiance if you can forgive her her mistakes. Have fun and be happy, these will be the best years of your life so far.

The best thing about my school is that the students here are as friendly as if we were family. This goes for the faculty as well who encourage students to come to them for no other reason than to carry out a conversation. The first college i went to was the Rochester Institute of Technology and i couldn't say the same for that school. I now realize that this friendly atmosphere is important to relieving the stresses of attending college by bringing up the overall happiness of the faculty and staff.

The most important thing is to actually visit the college(s) that you are interested. By doing so a student will be able to narrow their choices of schools. The most important factor other than how the school's program is for the student's chosen major is if this student sees themself living at this university. They need to see themselves be comfortable in this environment or else it will not be a great four year experience for them.

The worst thing is the constant construction that has been going on since I started college. It interfers with students getting to their classes and it causes an inconvenience frequently.

Nickole

To find the right college, you honestly much visit each one, and know what you are looking for. Make a list before going to visit the schools. Such as: do you want big or little classes? Do you want to be in a city or more country based? Are you willing to spend a lot of money or just the minimum? there are alot of questions to be thought about before entering college. To make the most of your college experience go out and meet people. Meeting people will make college more fun and more worthwhile. i didnt go out and meet people right away because i was nervous, i did awful my first semester. Now that i know more people and have made so many new friends i cant wait to go back!

I brag about the people that i met. i have met some amazing people and have kept in touch with them over the summer, and will be lviing with them next year.

The most frustrating thing would have to be the weather. you never know what its going to be like.

Jonathan

A place to find yourself and your path in life.

A place to find yourself and your path in life.

Get involved in your school and appreciate the wonderful opportunity you are being given.

Thomas

The best advice I can give to parents and students is to pick the college that has what they want. I know that it sounds like common sense, but I cannot begin to describe how many people I know who pick colleges based simply on the name. Many people choose a college because it is where their parents want them to go. That needs to stop, period. A student is not going to want to be forced into a school picked by their parents because it wont be what they wanted. Parents need to remember it is their kids who are attending, not them. Also, do not attend a school simply to play a varsity sport. Playing sports is great, but make sure the school you are looking at has your major before declaring. Apply to as many scholarships as possible. Without scholarships you will find yourself in a huge money crunch, just as I am now, and it is not fun. Get to know your professors early. There are a lot of students in the classes, so the professors don't know most of their students. Make a positive impact and introduce yourself to all of your professors.

The best thing about my school is my major. I am a physical education major and SUNY Cortland is famous around the world for physical education. I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend Cortland, and I have a lot of great professors that know what they are doing. After only one year of attending Cortland, I know for a fact that physical education is the field for me, and I will have a great change of getting a job after graduating because of my degree from Cortland. I couldn't be happier with SUNY Cortland.

I love to brag about SUNY Cortland's sports and athletics. Since we are a big physical education school we have a ton of talent, so we are very good at many different sports. I also love bragging about all of the extracurricular activities and intramural sports. We have hundreds of different activities and sports available and are leading the pack in intramurals. We also have a great gym to work out in and we are an extremely physically active school. Recently, I love to brag the New York Jest football team uses our facilities for summer training camp.

Lisa

Do not pick a college simply for the look of it. Look into all of the programs and dont just talk to the tour guide. The tour guides tend to bend the truth a bit. Try talking to someone who has attended there and you know they will be truthful.

Someone who does not know what they want to do, or if they want to be an education major

Michelle

I think SUNY Cortland is unique because there really aren't any social barriers at this school. Everyone is very friendly and eager to meet new people. Everyone is really fun and enjoys sharing their experiences with friends new and old. There really aren't cliques here everyone really connects no matter their race or background.

I would strongly reccomend doing overnight visits at the college because it gives you more of a feel of what really goes on as opposed to just a campus tour. Also make sure that they have what major you are looking for and that the faculty in that department are people you can see yourself enjoying working with. At SUNY Cortland there are plenty of oppourtunites to work with these wonderful people and even help them with their research projects. Also these are the people that help you if you ever have problems so if they aren't a right fit there is a good chance you won't be 100% pleased with your decision. Lastly make sure that it is in an area that you like. If you hate the snow don't go somewhere cold and vise versa or you will be miserable for 4 months of the school year.

I think the best thing about SUNY Cortland is the numerous amount of extra curricular activities. There are clubs and groups for pretty much anything you can imagine giving students a chance to connect with others that share their interests. I participate in club soccer and have made some great friends from joining.

Kristen

friendly, at the same level academically as myself which is nice

friendly, at the same level academically as myself which is nice

Selecting a college to attend is a major decision, which requires a great amount of research and thought. For a high school student who is unfamiliar with the college lifestyle this task may be quite difficult and stressful. As a college student, who has been through this process I like to consider myself experienced in this area. The most useful and important advice I have gathered throughout my experience is that you should not base your decision on a college's reputation or name. Although a school may be very highly regarded for overall academics, it may not be as highly regarded for a certain field in which you wish to study or for extracurricular activities. Be sure to consider all factors or there is a great possibility that you will not be happy with your decision. Also, make sure that is YOUR decision and not anyone else?s. Of course your parent?s thoughts and concerns do matter, but you are the one that will be growing and developing there during the most important years of your life. With effort and time the process of selecting the right college to attend can be an enjoyable and successful experience.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.