Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Thomas

The best advice I can give to parents and students is to pick the college that has what they want. I know that it sounds like common sense, but I cannot begin to describe how many people I know who pick colleges based simply on the name. Many people choose a college because it is where their parents want them to go. That needs to stop, period. A student is not going to want to be forced into a school picked by their parents because it wont be what they wanted. Parents need to remember it is their kids who are attending, not them. Also, do not attend a school simply to play a varsity sport. Playing sports is great, but make sure the school you are looking at has your major before declaring. Apply to as many scholarships as possible. Without scholarships you will find yourself in a huge money crunch, just as I am now, and it is not fun. Get to know your professors early. There are a lot of students in the classes, so the professors don't know most of their students. Make a positive impact and introduce yourself to all of your professors.

The best thing about my school is my major. I am a physical education major and SUNY Cortland is famous around the world for physical education. I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend Cortland, and I have a lot of great professors that know what they are doing. After only one year of attending Cortland, I know for a fact that physical education is the field for me, and I will have a great change of getting a job after graduating because of my degree from Cortland. I couldn't be happier with SUNY Cortland.

I love to brag about SUNY Cortland's sports and athletics. Since we are a big physical education school we have a ton of talent, so we are very good at many different sports. I also love bragging about all of the extracurricular activities and intramural sports. We have hundreds of different activities and sports available and are leading the pack in intramurals. We also have a great gym to work out in and we are an extremely physically active school. Recently, I love to brag the New York Jest football team uses our facilities for summer training camp.

Lisa

Do not pick a college simply for the look of it. Look into all of the programs and dont just talk to the tour guide. The tour guides tend to bend the truth a bit. Try talking to someone who has attended there and you know they will be truthful.

Someone who does not know what they want to do, or if they want to be an education major

Michelle

I think SUNY Cortland is unique because there really aren't any social barriers at this school. Everyone is very friendly and eager to meet new people. Everyone is really fun and enjoys sharing their experiences with friends new and old. There really aren't cliques here everyone really connects no matter their race or background.

I would strongly reccomend doing overnight visits at the college because it gives you more of a feel of what really goes on as opposed to just a campus tour. Also make sure that they have what major you are looking for and that the faculty in that department are people you can see yourself enjoying working with. At SUNY Cortland there are plenty of oppourtunites to work with these wonderful people and even help them with their research projects. Also these are the people that help you if you ever have problems so if they aren't a right fit there is a good chance you won't be 100% pleased with your decision. Lastly make sure that it is in an area that you like. If you hate the snow don't go somewhere cold and vise versa or you will be miserable for 4 months of the school year.

I think the best thing about SUNY Cortland is the numerous amount of extra curricular activities. There are clubs and groups for pretty much anything you can imagine giving students a chance to connect with others that share their interests. I participate in club soccer and have made some great friends from joining.

Kristen

friendly, at the same level academically as myself which is nice

friendly, at the same level academically as myself which is nice

Selecting a college to attend is a major decision, which requires a great amount of research and thought. For a high school student who is unfamiliar with the college lifestyle this task may be quite difficult and stressful. As a college student, who has been through this process I like to consider myself experienced in this area. The most useful and important advice I have gathered throughout my experience is that you should not base your decision on a college's reputation or name. Although a school may be very highly regarded for overall academics, it may not be as highly regarded for a certain field in which you wish to study or for extracurricular activities. Be sure to consider all factors or there is a great possibility that you will not be happy with your decision. Also, make sure that is YOUR decision and not anyone else?s. Of course your parent?s thoughts and concerns do matter, but you are the one that will be growing and developing there during the most important years of your life. With effort and time the process of selecting the right college to attend can be an enjoyable and successful experience.

Christine

I dont know if I could choose one thing, but I guess it would be the people. Because Cortland seems to attract people from Orange County area, Long Island and Rochester if you are from these areas your always guarenteed to have a friend somewhere close nearby. The party life is GREAT! WE party hard, there's always something to do, but everyone is still very aware of their grades and academics.

My advice, give the school your attending the best chance even if it isnt the one your originally wanted to go to. Get Involved and youll see a whole new side to the campus. And parents remember most college students do drink and attend parties but the most important thing is to remember to juggle your school work as well because after all if your grades drop you might just be asked to leave and then you lose the best of both worlds. !

The worst thing about Cortland is that alot of people come from very populated areas and it is basically only a college town. So if you dont want the college town then you dont want Cortland!

Joseph

Classmates are fun, active, knowledgable and supportive of different beliefs and ideas

This is a desicion the will effect the rest of your life. Try not to get caught up in money or exspenses. The right place will be worth the extra bit of money and time no matter what. Also, make sure the social activities available are things you are interested in. You do not want the only activity you are doing to be work. Also, be friendly with everyone, it is much easier to make friends this way!

Any one who is uptight about life and not willing to put themselves out there. If you are only going to sit in your room and play your computer, do not bother attending.

Paul

find a college that helps the student to become what they want to be. picking the wrong school can be a costly mistake. take time and figure out what the student may want to do with their life and pick a college from there

the focus on physical education majors is the worst thing about the school, it takes away from the other courses

A person that is trying to gain new experience and leave home

Max

Go on unoffical tours to meet and intereact with current students not just tour guides and school staff

I was pleased with the amount I learned while attending

It is located in a small town where there isn't much to do so some students turn to drinking as a social alternative. It is not too well known yet on a national level.

Dominic

Everyone in cortland is friendly and supportive of one another

Everyone in cortland is friendly and supportive of one another

someone looking for a small to medium college. Most like the snow. ANyone looking to be come an education teacher

Katelyn

Cortland is a middle sized school in a rural community that has allows students to make life long friends while getting to know everyone.

To find the right college you need to really evaluate what you want out of it. You have to think about the size, the closeness to home, if you know people that are going there, what kind of activities you want to be involved in, how much it costs, and what degrees they offer. You also need to visit many campuses and go with your gut. To make the most out of your college experience you need to get involved and not be shy or avoid taking chances. People are so much more open and accepting, and being shy will just mean you seclude yourself. Also, prioritize and get your work done so you can have fun whenever you want.

I wish I had known what the towns around it had to offer so I could have taken advantage of that more.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.