Tennessee Technological University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Tennessee Technological University

Jenny

Overall, it is just a mediocre state school. It wasn't a bad experience but at the same time it's nothing special. Tech is generally known for being a engineering/science school. You can definitely see this when looking at the engineering buildings since they get all the funding. The rest of campus is old and falling apart. For any other major, the facilities looks like garbage. For food there is a cafeteria that serves low quality hotel style food, and then like four fast food places that are always incredible crowded. The one good thing is that it is generally a safe school, which is probably due to the fact no one actually lives in the area. Putnam county as a whole has nothing to do or see. The city is a ghost town on the weekends once everyone leaves, so if you are expecting a night life here, good luck. Overall, if you want a cheapish, mediocre state school that any one can get into tech is for you. Personally, I would have just went to an online school, would be cheaper and more opportunities.

Tennessee Tech was never on my radar when looking at schools in high school. However, I knew it was the right choice for me when looking at the size of the school. There are ample clubs to attend. Although the football team was not the best, the women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, and rugby teams were fun to watch with friends. The professors were great and knowledgeable. They always had an open-door policy. Maintaining friendships is what was difficult.

Alex

The school itself has trivial qualities to boast with its mediocre dorms that makes me realize how commodious my closet is back home, lab equipment decrepit from the constant mistakes of nearly being caught ablaze, and the buzzing of construction work everyday 8 am sharp. With numerous flaws ubiquitous to the university, I give it a five star rating. Because these are not the qualities I sought out for my college experience. Under a Covid-19 pandemic I am proud to be a rising Golden Eagle because I never felt like I was ostracized like High School. Instead of facing rejection every corner I turned, opportunity slammed me to my back, forcing me to stare at the millions of stars above, realizing I am not the only one who has to solve the ordeals hindering humanity from forming a mark on the disparity rampant all around us. I was at the edge of transferring colleges until I neared the end of my first semester and had an epiphany. Colleges are merely structures brought together with callous brick and apathetic steel. Meant to house the genuinely salient brains inside like a skeleton provides aegis for the precious organs inside. The students do their part by perpetually adapting despite the challenges bubbling up to match every step forward. I felt chained in place building my own barrier by lacking the ability to abandon the discord swelling in the confines of my mind. I came from High school with an extraordinarily high GPA and ACT score of 32. I stepped through the doors thinking I was going to conquer anything I had to face with ease. When college started, fate had alternate plans. It used me as a map to pinpoint exactly what not to do once Covid's carnage consumed the year. My grades began to collapse along with my confidence. I had no friends either leaving me without a confidant to vent my frustrations too. Anxiety bursting through my chest along with the humiliation of failure looming over me. I was ready to succumb to the apprehension spawned by aberrations outside of my control. A unique Doctor with the name Dr. Reznyack altered my perspective to something more tangible. He dragged me out of the cage by becoming the key to something greater. He showed me I was broken down to be built into something enhanced. Resilience the reward for surviving such a transition. Transmutation every step I took into what once was the abyss, an oblivion I couldn't comprehend. When he became my torch, the flare blinded me. Not from the light but from how dark it was before. Unveiling the curtain to show me the shadows don't always conceal atrocities deemed unreal. What was hidden from me was hope. The knowledge it was going to get better. Due to the stellar professors, especially the one described, Tennessee Tech has the heart needed to become a phenomenal college. Each beat providing a chance for all the other students to thrive. This university is the beacon for minds thinking they have no where else to escape reality. Escaping reality never was the intention, it was to get an idea how to change it into something we can all adore.

Tennessee Tech University is such an overlooked university. Although it is located in a small town, the school has been there for so long, the city is formed around the school itself. Everything is very convenient and local. Tech also has a place for everyone to fit in. Its such an amazing place to attend!

shandel

I feel that TTU is the perfect fit for me. Not only because it's a technical school and that corresponds with my major. But it feels like home away from home. The people here generally care about you and want to see you succeed. They won't give up on you even when you give up on yourself. They are committed to you one hundred percent.

David

I really like the setup of the campus and the way that the classes and faculty help prepare students for educational success and work. In my experience, the professors are easy to approach with questions, most of the faculty will help any student that shows initiative, and the overall atmosphere is friendly, yet professional. Especially if a student is wanting work to fill their resume, there are many faculty members all over campus that will help a student find relevant experience if that student asks.

sarah

Tennessee Technological University is an amazing school. It a particularly good school for STEM fields but it also offers plenty of options for anything that you may be interested in. They really take pride in their academics and it shows through their alumni. They have the most dedicated and passionate professors who always want you to succeed. Everyone at Tennessee Tech is driven to do the best work they can possibly do because of the perfect learning environment on campus. Overall, I would say that Tennessee Tech is one of the best public schools in Tennessee.

Overall, my first year at TTU was the best of my life! I am already counting down the days to go back. I feel as though I am pushed academically to be the best engineer I can be and I know all my hard work will pay off in the future. I am proud to be a student at TTU. Whenever I speak with graduates they always say going to TTU was the best decision they made and they are successful with what they do, which is extremely encouraging to me! I love my school and I cannot wait for the years to come.

Tennessee Tech is home, mainly because I'm from Cookeville, but it's more than that. I've loved my time here at Tech, I've met people, faculty, Professors that have impacted my life in more ways than one. Tech has a great student body, with some of the wisest professors in the state. Involvement is key in having a successful college career, and Tech makes it easy to find things to be involved in such as; SGA, athletic games, Greek life, christian organizations, every major even has a club, Tech even has a club for Disney lovers! Great school and community hands down!

Reginald

Tennessee Tech is a great school, the people here are all friendly and helpful. If you are coming from a large city then there will be some major adjusting to be done. The city itself dosen't really have anything to do for young people except work and school.

makayla

Tennessee Tech is a very small school, which can have its ups and downs. There's a certain level of comfort, but it can also be hard to meet new people because a lot of people here went to high school together. Greek Life is a huge part of this campus, and it really is what most people here do. It's a safe school and if you get involved in the right ways, it can be very tight knit.

Sam

Even if you are awarded a degree that doesn't mean you meet licensure requirements.

Sierra

I am currently a rising Senior pursuing two majors. The professors in both departments I am involved with are, for the most part, very caring about the students and their needs. The professors in the Earth Science department are very easy to approach and very friendly.

Mary

Tennessee Tech is an amazing school. The advisers are helpful, the teachers work with you, and you can always find a group of people with similar interests. There are plenty of clubs, and several religious communities (after all we are in the center of the Bible Belt). The campus is small enough that you always see people you know, but big enough that there are still plenty of new people to meet. The community here is great.

Tennessee Tech has a wonderful environment. People all over campus are typically very friendly. The professors are very accessible and truly want their students to succeed. The only issue I have is that my major in Sociology with a concentration in Social work, lacked the social work classes that was necessary to learn about the profession. However, there is a high variety of programs provided by Tech that can assist individuals in the education they seek.

Tess

I love the program I am studying. Tennessee Tech has a strong psychology program and amazing professors. The diversity on campus is brilliant and amazing. Overall Tech offers great programs at a great price. Recently, I feel that Tennessee Tech needs new board members and a new president to give Tech a facelift. Some of the money does not go to important areas that need to be renovated. Some programs do need more money.

Abigail

I enjoy Tennessee Technological University. I think that the faculty and staff are welcoming and helpful. From the time that I stepped on campus for a tour of the school, I felt that everyone that I came in contact with was friendly and inviting. As a student today, I feel the same as I did on the first tour. I believe that everyone at Tennessee Technological University is there to help you and others succeed, and I could not be happier with my choice to attend Tennessee Tech.

Tennessee Tech University is a beautiful school and has a beautiful campus. Faculty will always help you and have many options for clubs. Tennessee Tech also has fun and life-filled events. Housing is clean and everything. Your concerns will be heard and you will not have outstanding debt.

Caleb

Right now I am a Freshman at Tennessee Tech, and I have loved every second of it! It is the perfect place for me! The teachers take academics seriously. They are there so that you will learn something, but if you are struggling they will help you whenever you need it. There are tons of clubs to get involved with and you can always find something to do!

Brandon

I am enjoying my college experience. I play recreational and varsity sports, so I have very little downtime. This is good for me because I have to stay focused on my academics. I have made a few new friends and we are all very supportive .

Raini

I'll be honest. Tech was my second choice. At first, I was an Elementary Education major. I thought the program for education was better than my other schools. However, now I am a psychology major and I AM IN LOVE. The program is filled with intellectual students and professors who actually want to see you succeed. It's a small college, so you'll probably see everyone at some point. The housing is pretty well, depending on where you live. I've lived in New Hall North and I love it! All the staff everywhere on campus is so excited to see the students succeed. There are so many opportunities too, like amazing study abroad locations and so many clubs! Take advantage of everything on campus and you'll love Tech as much as I do!

Tomi

During my time at Tennessee Tech University, I have felt very welcomed and safe. Despite being a PWI, TTU is a culturally diverse institution with many programs to benefit minority students. The campus is very nice, with many newer buildings and nice landscaping all throughout campus. Professors are always willing to help, the food is delicious, and there are a multitude of extracurriculars and activities throughout the school year I'd recommend TTU to anyone.

Devin

Having attended a number of post-secondary educational institutions (both in person and online) I can honestly say that my experience at TTU has been, in a word, phenomenal. The southern aesthetic of the historic buildings and surrounding quaintness of the city of Cookeville both contribute to an ambient atmosphere of serene academic bliss. I would recommend this college to anyone, especially if they were interested in pursuing a career in mechanical engineering.

HOUSTON

I really like the small town atmosphere. I feel comfortable with the staff and facility. I would encourage anyone headed to college to consider TTU. TTU is centrally located that it makes it possible for students to return home to family on a regular basis as desired. I enjoy staying at the dorm some weekends, this allows me to actually relax and chill out!

Julianne

I thoroughly enjoy attending Tennessee Technological University. Although there is a lot of construction going on (and it is wreaking havoc on the parking situation), everything should be rectified when they finish up! It's a safe campus that can be fun when you really try.

My overall opinion of Tennessee Technological University is that it is an extraordinary college to attend and be apart of. I absolutely love it here and believe that when I graduate I will come out with the best life experiences that anyone could ever have. Going to college is a very important thing, especially nowadays. Tennessee Technological University is able to give you the college knowledge that you need for the real world, great friends and professors, and allows you to be yourself and feel comfortable.

Ciara

I personally think Tennessee Tech is an incredible school! It is the perfect size, not too big or small, the town its located in is basically dedicated to helping the college, and the faculty take very good care of their students care about their education. The food is great, the classes are interesting, the rooms are small, but pretty nice, and there's no doubt of getting involved socially. Partying is not a regular occurrence, its a tobacco free campus, and the police are dedicated to creating a safe environment for the students. What more could you want in a school?

Alyssa

I love Tennessee Tech. I loved all my teachers this semester. They were very accessible and helpful. I live in Crawford Hall and I love it and it’s on the main quad. All the christmas lights are up from lighting the quad so that’s a nice view every night.

Athena

Overall, Tennessee Tech is a great college. It is known for having a brilliant engineering program. The campus isn't too big, but it's smaller than most of the colleges in Tennessee. It has a very friendly environment and you always feel welcome, and the professors are always available to help you when you're struggling with your studies.

Samuel

Tennessee Tech is primarily a STEM school. Meaning most of its students are math/science people, usually some sort of engineer. This school's main purpose is to churn out engineering degrees. If you are looking for connections, places to work nearby or you aren't a math/science person, this school isn't for you. My personal experience with my advisors hasn't been a good one either. They either weren't able to help me with what I needed or they simply told me why what I needed couldn't be done (which was usually not a very good reason). The professors weren't all too helpful either. Some of them never answered any emails I sent or didn't give me makeup work when I was sick. The food is average, there's a Chick-Fil-A so that's a plus. The town of Cookeville is nice and quaint, but that means there isn't that much to do. Especially on weekends. Everybody usually just goes home, so if you stay on campus, not only is there not much to do, but not many people to do it with either. This is an average school, with an average campus, an average level of intelligence among students, average food, an average and boring town, and an unhelpful administration.

Jaimee

My overall opinion of Tennessee Tech is great. The campus is very homey feeling, and that's what draws me to it the most. The people are nice, and very helpful and there is never a dull moment. Campus is beautiful, and there is always some type of activity going on to get involved in.

Amber

I enjoy Tennessee Tech because it's close enough to home, but far enough away to where I can get home on the weekends. I also like the faculty and the clubs and services allotted to us. The professors and advisers make enough time to make each student feel like they matter and that they're experience at Tech is valid.

Allison

I love being a student at Tennessee Tech, I feel I am always surrounded by students who have the same goal that I do, to learn and be successful. I know that all of the staff has the focus of us students becoming successful. There are so many resources available to all students that it makes it hard to find an excuse to not do well here.

Kayley

As far as what I learned during research and my campus visit, Tennessee Tech is a very versatile university and will be both educational and a great experience. I ran into some very helpful and nice people, and when visiting the cafeteria, library, and housing, the campus appeared very well kept and safe. Overall, I look forward to beginning my Autumn semester.

Rebekah

TTU is a wonderful place to study, with a great number of opportunities and support for its students. I would reccomend anyone interested in engineering, science, and mathematics to this school before any other school in the nation. The campus feels safe and secure, and I would be comfortable walking home at night on campus. There isn't much of an art scene here, I don't meet many other artist like myself. There isn't much in the way of art classes to take. TTU does best with its engineering and technologies courses, and I wouldn't call this a school for the arts.

Tommy

Tennessee tech is a great school for academics and a great place to make friends and have interesting interactions. I feel safe and comfortable with meeting people and walking around campus. From the on-campus or even off campus housing to the in-class and online courses Tech is friendly , safe, and fun place to attend college.

Angela

I have lived on campus during the summer and plan to attend in the fall of 2019. Great cyber security program. Wonderful modern facilities. Nice dorms. Great fitness center. Classrooms are very up-to-date. Plenty of new and recent technology is available for students to use.

Kaley

Tennessee Tech is known for its engineering and computer science programs for good reason. These programs can be rigorous, but most professors are more than willing to assist. The students are also incredibly dedicated, and side projects are very encouraged. There are student organizations for every major, but academic cross-major clubs aren't really a thing. Tech's Honors program has room for improvement. There are almost no healthy eating options on campus. A highlight of Tech is its career fairs, especially the Engineering Career Fair. Hundreds of employers are present, and internships are essentially expected of many majors.

Savannah

I really love Tennessee tech for all the stuff they provide for me . they are really good at getting tutors to help and people to look over all the stuff you do.

Logan

I really enjoyed visiting Tech for the third time and feel as if it’s the school for me. It has just the right student body size and interact ability between the professors and students. The extracurricular activities including the Baja race and other clubs are also a great addition. Overall I find Tech to be a great school for someone looking for a larger than private, but smaller than somewhere like UTK , school that has great a faculty and campus.

It's been one of my dream schools since sophomore year of high school. Now, nothing is perfect, and this school does have some not super great things, but I love it anyways. Many of my friends are attending there which just makes it better because now I won't have to feel alone.

I personally really love Tech as a whole! I enjoy the campus life and activities that are always going on. The campus itself is beautiful and they are always trying to make it better. The classes are decent sizes and the professors seem to help their students as much as they can! I feel like i will gain a really good education from Tennessee Tech University.

Sabrina

I think it’s a great school!It is the perfect size, and I love how I can see someone I know on campus no matter where I’m at! I have never had a bad interaction with a student or a faculty member on campus. It is very friendly and welcoming. I definitely would not want to be anywhere else!

Stacey

I think Tennessee Technological University is a great school and the environment is very welcoming. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else because this has felt like home and I enjoy being apart of this wonderful school. I love how in sports, they play for a lot of fun but it is not always about the win but about being part of the team. I enjoy that there are places around there to go and everything is not too far away so you are able to walk in the fresh air. The campus is also very beautiful.

Upon visiting TTU, I have found a well known liking to the school as well as the atmosphere. I never knew that going to a college would make me feel pretty much at home. I am exited to go to TTU for my freshman year this fall of 2020. One thing that I thought was amazing was the chem building and all of the medical programs! I am truly in love with this campus and cant wait to spend my college years at TTU! Wings Up!

Rachael

I think the campus is beautiful, the professors are wonderful and passionate about the subjects they teach, and the campus feels safe. I’m just disappointed with their lack of a social work as a major. Right now sociology is the closest thing to social work, but graduating with a bachelors in sociology INSTEAD OF social work would tack on a whole extra year to achieve my master’s degree at a different university due to their lack of courses related to social work

Abigayle

Although I will not attend Tennessee Tech until August of this year, I have visited the school many times and I absolutely love it. The professors and the faculty in every department are so helpful and very nice. The housing on campus is nice. Its just your regular dorm room. There are many different places to eat on campus. I am very excited to be attending Tennessee Tech.

Avery

I love the school. Everyone on campus is so nice and everyone os so willing to help. Teachers will work with students one on one to make sure they understand what is being taught. Some students even offer free torturing to those students who can’t afford it.