Lubbock, TX
Texas Tech University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Tech University

Owen

Good school. conservative campus, awesome sports, especially football. Good Greek scene. Just the right size, not too small, or insanely huge. Good college town, tons of cool bars or clubs to hang out in and watch sports. Good places to eat.

This is a school filled with mostly WASPs. There is a good, southern, preppy feel, mixed with some country outdoorsy type of life. Most people who like Tech the most are Greek, and well off, but there are all different types of people, as to be expected with 30000 students. Most of my friends wear polo shirts and khaki pants and drive tahoes, and that should give you a feel for the atmosphere.

Its a good school, could be preppyer tho.

No, these are in no war accurate about most people at TTU

Good academics, underrated by most people. Tech does not have a good reputation about being serious about academics, but it is changing. We have a better ranked Engineering program than A&M and have a really good business school. There is a Law school, and Med school on site. The classes vary in size and some are very intimate, where you know everyone by name and the professor knows you as well.

Sports are king. Football and tailgating are amazing, basketball is pretty good as well. Go Tech, then go Greek, thats what they say, and that is how you get the most out of the college experience. Going greek you get to know a large group of people instantly and mix with guys or girls that have the same interests. This provides stuff to do on the weekends, or any night of the week.

Its only a party school. Everyone just cares about drinking. There is nothing to do in Lubbock. Everyone has STD's

Charlie

The best thing about Tech is the people that I've met here. In a matter of six months I've met some of the greatest friends ever. I love the fact that school spirit here is freakin high! I really don't like the dorm life here but that's only because Coleman sucks!

Like I said, the people here are amazing for the most part! I've never had a more diverse group of friends before I got to Tech.

No, the campus is actually clean, it's the city of Lubbock that's the dirty part. To an extent, we are bad when it comes to sportsmanship but we are not the worst.

My theatre classes are amazing, but my other classes are boring. Most days I don't want to go to my other classes because it's hard to focus when the professors are dreadful (Stats for example).

The everyone up here has STD of some sort. We are the worst students when it comes to sportsmanship.

Joseph

Texas Tech is incredible. I didn't go here because this was the only school I could get into, I went here because its where I want to be. Lubbock and Tech feel more like home than my home town and there is nothing I want to change about. The people I've come in contact with are polite and caring. We do have some loud students but its understandable when you consider the amount of pride we have in the rich history and tradition of our school. I myself become a little loud and excited when it comes to our traditions and football games. Its college, its meant to be celebrated, loved, and loud!

Absolutely not, every college have a few loud and crazy individuals, but as for the masses, they are respectful, intelligent, and polite people who are here because they want to be here. There is no where else I would rather be.

I have been very impressed with the curriculum here at Tech. I've learned an incredible amount this year when I compare it to my high school experience, but most importantly I've learned more about myself and who I want to be. The academics here have influenced me and my thoughts about the future in ways that no other academic system, professors included, could have. I've had a wonderful experience entirely.

Rough, Rowdy, Rude, Obnoxious, Loud, Mean, Unintelligent, belligerent, unfocused.

David

I have lived in the South Plains area my whole entire life. I lived in Lubbock until about 10 years old, moved to Amarillo until I was 18 and now I am back in lubbock. This is my life and I love it. Tech is a great school and it's literally close enough to home but it's been big enough for me to spread my wings and experience something new and grand.

It's a very conservative county and the school is heavily leaning to the right but you will definitely find the liberals and those leaning the other way. We have had some interesting characters come speak in the area and Lubbock is definitely an interesting place to be. You will find students in upper/middle class areas and you will find the mustangs and lexus's in the parking lot. You will also find students who are 100% on financial aid and who do not have cars. It's pretty nice. The fashion here isn't that great. It's actually pretty lacking. There are some who dress nice and know some things about fashion but in generally it's sad.

Definitely not. There are students from all over Texas and all over the nation and world who attend Tech. It is nice and diverse and you will find all sorts of students and faculty. You will have the flamboyant and crazy professors and the conservative professors. Same goes with students. You will find the boy from small town Texas and you will find the New York City girl.

Our political science department is very legit. It has a great program, very diverse classes and also great opportunities to work abroad. We have had adminsitrators work for the CIA, Ambassodors in South Africa, Politicians, etc. The professors are grat and you will always find a great conversation to be had. You can always walk into a random professors office and just start chatting about the political system, life, and/or just classes. It's a pretty homy feel and we all get along quite well. I've bumped into professors outside of class and it's all good.

Greeks seem to own the campus. Even though they don't do much, all they do is party and party some more, and most of them are pretty unintelligent but they do Student Government, own some of the residence halls (due to the high amount of first year students rushing). It's pretty crazy. There are 22 fraternities and 12 sororities. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

The best thing about tx tech is the big campus feeling in a small town location. It's a perfect mix. I would change the emphasis that tech places on sports. Sports is everything here so if you are not an athlete, then you are not important. The intellectuals are not honored much. I spend most of my time in the Student Union and the Admin Buiding, where I work. Lubbock is DEFINITELY a college town, in fact, if it wasn't for tx tech, Lubbock would be nothing but another small town that no one knows about. My opinion of texas tech administration is that is very political and the buddy system is heavily applied. The best people for the job will not get it, the buddy of the people in office now will get it. And Lubbock wonders why we can't be thought of great as UT! The corrupt favoritism system will not take a system anywhere! The latest controversy was probably a shirt that a frat made for homecoming that read Vic em'. You can guess what picture was on the shirt. I thought is was very disrespectful and the administration did too: they banned the shirts. But above all, no one can doubt the school pride that students have. The school pride is crazy...it's makes you feel good to be a Red Raider.

Tech is a party school yes. But I believe one can attain a quality education.

My honors professors do since classes are small. My favorite class is spanish 1507 because our professor makes the class fun. My least favorite is chemistry because chemistry is just boring anyway. I don't see anybody making it interesting. Class participation is not common usually. If a professor asks a question, the response is silence. But classes vary. Some do, but most do not. Some is dealing with how drunk they got the past weekend and how drunk they are going to get the upcoming weekend. The people who do have intellectual conversations are usually looked at weird. Students are usually not competitive; they are just trying to pass.

The school is not qualified to provide a quality education as UT or other notable schools. It is thought of as a party school.

Tessa

The best thing about tech is the size. You can meet so many new people here every day, and discover so many new interests and activities as well. The size really does wonders for being able to assimilate groups of people with similar interests and gives the students more opportunities withing their class. Also, it enable the university to fund more events and further enrich a student's life here on campus at Tech. One thing i'd change is the community bathrooms, lol. When i tell people that i go to Texas Tech, the reaction is split in two, some people look at me with a blank look and say "oh, how nice" while others get recognize and get excited about Tech, mainly because of the attention that Bobby Knight drew. Most of my time spent here on campus is in the dorms. Whether eating, hanging out with friends, or going to class, for the first semester most of luboock, in my mind, was the Tech campus. I'd say that Lubbock is definitely a "college town." while most of the people here stay becasue they live here, it's definitely not as busy during the off-school season. Texas Tech's admininstration is wonderful here. From the highest of the high to the blue-collared folk her, they are all interested in getting involved, doing their part, and satisfying the needs of the Texas Tech students. The biggest recent controversy on Tech's campus was the 'vick em' shirts. A fraternity got punished for printing shirts with an aggie hanging a dog from a leash and had to write a formal apology for the printing of the shirts, though i do still see them around a lot.... Texas Tech definitely has a ton of school pride. On game days and during homecoming the student support is just massive. tailgating and partying are a few favorite fun tech traditions while the games are absolutely massive. The pictures of the school spirit and the feeling of the crowd around you and the game in front of you is just enthralling. What's unusual about Texas Tech is the size. Not only is it agorgeous campus, but it's huge! I feel like i could discover another gorgeous shot every day for the rest of my time here and never tire of its beauty. One experience i'll always remember is Howdy TECHsans. Howdy TECHsans was a program i participated in in the very beginning of the semester. A group of girls and guys moved into the dorms about two days early and got set up themselves in order to be ready to help others with their move. I made some really great friends because of this and i loved it!

I have participated with many religious groups on the Tech campus. There are so many to get involved with, it is unbelievable. I don't think a single student here at tech would feel out of place if they made the effort to find a group with their simialr intersets. Most students wear what is comfrotable, from sweat pants and tees to jeans and a button-down. Different types of students do interact here. Theyr're are so many types of students here that it is almost impossible for someone not to. Most Texas tech students are from the surrounding area, or cities across Texas State. The financial background that is most prevalent is middle-class and mid-upper class students. Students here at tech are politically aware and active. There are sevaral politicaly groups on campus and they put on events and advertise frequently.

Yes, we have a lot of fraternity and sorority students on campus. we also do show much spirit and support for our school.

The professors here at Tech definitely know my name, especially those in my field of expertise, as one would say. I am an Apparel Design and Manufacturing major and have to take many sewing and tailoring based classes over my next few years. My least favorite class would have to be english, i used to love it in High School, now, it's just a pain in my butt. it really isn't that much fun and i wish i'd takin the time to test out of the rest of it. I'd say that students study about one-third of what they're supposed to do, or of what they need to do. Class participation is common only if the class feels comfotable around each other. It takes a great professor to break the ice with a class and some great students to keep the ball rolling and make the class enjoyable for all. Texas tech students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, with each other, with the professors, with whomever. Students are slightly competitive, depending on the course, assignments, and their personalities. The most unique, and by far my favorite class so far is Design 1. I loved my professor and the unique assignments that she gave us.I spend a litle time with my professors outside of class, maily discusiing assignments and extra opportunities. I think that Texas Tech's academic requirements definitley provide a hearty challenge, but i think that some professors and some course material can be overwhelming. I think that the learning here at tech is geared more toward getting the ducation than landing any one certain job.

The most popular organizations on campus are those that are sorority or fraternity or hispanic associated. A group that I'm involved with is Hi-Tech Fashion Group. I am the community Service Representative. We put on several service projects every year that have to do with fashion and clothing. Students do leave their doors open sometimes. Athletic events are very popular, though some less popular sports have to be advertised to get publicity. Guest speakers are less popular, and the theater even less. The dating scene is sparse unless you spentd a lot of time off-campus socializing. I met my closest friends through each other, first one, and then the others. If i'm awake at 2 am on a tuesday, it's because i am up finishing an art project for my 8 am art class. People almost always party on the Tech campus. almost everynight, there are girls out danicing, karaokeing, or house-crashing. Sororities and Fraternities are very inportant on the Tech campus and for some people it is very important to belong to one of them. last weekend i layed around in bed all weekend and watched movies. On a Saturday Night you can hang out with your friends, catch a movie, and chill at a coffee house until two in the morning. Off campus i go dancing, watch movies, and meet up with friends.

We are a fraternity and sorority associated university. We teand to be very proud of our school as we have a lot of school spirit and support

Kyle

Texas Tech is perfect. It's not too big, not too small...Lubbock is getting bigger every day. It's DEFINITELY a college town, the entire city revolves around Tech and without Texas Tech, Lubbockians wouldn't have anything to be involved in. School pride= amazing!

If you are looking for a certain organization...we have it. If not, get a group of people and go register it. It's that simple.

Every one of my professors know my name. My favorite class was Anatomy with Dr. Julie Rosenheimer...she is possibly one of the best professors at Tech. Teaching undergrad anatomy with a Ph.D in neuroscience, she made sure we knew our stuff. I studied many many hours for that class. I go see her every week just to talk with her. Education at Tech is competitive and is geared toward learning...for example in anatomy, she would sometimes relate to clinical fields and pathology which was more job oriented, but stuck to the necessities she promised in her syllabus.

That we have STD's...which is not true...in fact we are the 2nd lowest in the Big 12. We are drunk...all the time! Not true...most of my friends don't drink very often...plus, what college DOESN'T have people who get drunk? We didn't get into A&M or UT. LIES LIES LIES! Yeah, we have the few who say that...but many of the people in my classes were valedictorian of their high school, as well as me.

S.G.A., R.H.A., Greek Life, Flag Football, Tech CRU (Campus Crusade for Christ). Football games...amazing. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, I'm studying.

Jamie

Best thing about Texas Tech: EVERYTHING...but probably the people. Not only the students, but the faculty and staff as well. I would change the fact that my school thinks it is efficient to water plants in the heat of the day. My school is just right...I love the size and the more the merrier! Some people say, "that's cool" while others don't really know much about it. Definately in the student union building. I work there, that is where I meet friends for lunch, cool events go on there, and you always see people you know when you are in the SUB! In between college town and "what college town." The reason is that there is part of Lubbock that is definately dominated by college students, but there are over 200,000 people in Lubbock, and only about 30,000 are Tech students, so there is so much more to Lubbock than Tech. Administration is for the most part good. I wish Dr. Dean would be the next president of our university though; he really cares and could potentially make this university even better. Biggest controversy on campus would probably be President Whitmore stepping down and the fact that we didn't getting accreditted by one organization. There is so much school pride at Tech...RAIDER POWER! I think something that sets Tech apart from the rest is that it has a big university look with a smaller university feel. Our current student to teacher ratio is 18:1 which is amazing; very comfortable, especially for freshmen. I'll always remember anything and everything about Red Raider Camp. From the time when I was a camper, to being a counselor, to be a facilitator, and now being director. Parking for sure are the most complaints made by students; but there are rules for a reason!

I don't have any specific experiences. To be honest, probably any minority. However, I feel that everyone can find their place or "niche" at Tech, and Texas Tech is really pushing for diversity. Most students wear jeans, flip-flops, and a Tech or greek t-shirt. Yes different types of students interact. One is full of the greek or involved people. One is full of a bunch of randoms. The third is full of socially awkward people. And the last is filled with minorities. Tech students are really from all over, especially since Tech is so far away from most Texas cities, yet so close to other states. Probably middle class Yes students are politically aware because we have a huge "free speech" area that is constantly bombarded by politicians and whatnot.

I love Texas Tech and all that it has to offer; there really is something for everyone. It is the best University in the world and has tons of school spirit and pride. From here, it's possible!

Yes professors know my name. My favorite class I have taken was probably one of my ag leadership or education classes and my least favorite is definately biology! I don't know how often students study, but if they are like me, probably not enough. Class participation is common because the class sizes at Tech are smaller. I know for a fact that students have intellectual conversations outside of class because I walk by and hear them all the time. Students are very competitive, especially when it comes to things like internships, leadership positions in organizations, and scholarships. My major is Agricultural Leadership and the department is great. The teachers are actually our advisors in the Ag College so that gives us a huge benefit compared to other colleges. The professors are also amazing and so much fun, both in and out of class. I think are academic requirements are average...I wish we had higher standards for admissions though. I think the education definately varies depending on your major/department/college, but I would say my college is geared towards being prepared to go out into the work force.

Well there are over 400 student organizations so it is hard to say what is the most popular. However, the Greeks really make their voice heard on campus more than any other group. Most students don't leave their doors open. Football is really popular, and it drops off from there with basketball, volleyball, baseball, and everything else. I met my closest friends from my dorm and other organizations I'm involved with. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I am probably headed home from game night since I just got back from Buffalo Wild Wings. Homecoming, Carol of Lights, and Arbor Day are probably the most popular annual traditions at Tech...and beating A&M of course! People party in Lubbock a normal amount I would say; Thursday and another night of the weekend. I don't know how important Greeks are, but they really have a loud voice on campus. They have people that are more involved on campus, that really care about the university, and make their voice heard. Last weekend I hung out with friends on Friday, went to church Saturday evening, went to a frat party Saturday night, and then studied and got ready for University Day on Sunday. There are usually TAB events, and you can always go to parties, clubs, and dance halls and not drink. You can always go to Main Event, bowling, movie theater and anything else.

Devin

I believe Texas Tech is a great university and has many great opportunities for students that come here. I have never had any problems with administration or faculty and have formed a great relationship with many of them as well. I would not call Lubbock a college town, but it is a great size for Tech to be a big priority in the community. I would like to see some of the sportsmanship at sporting events change. The words to the fight song have been altered and it has begun to spread. this is one big issue that I would like to see get resolved, however I know it is not an easy process.

I honestly believe that Tech has very few issues related to race, religion, socio-economic backgrounds, etc. Most students are very welcoming and West Texas just, in a way, brings the "niceness" out of you. I do believe that some students are not well informed on political issues. They usually just go with the majority or what their parents believe. Being in Texas, and in a conservative part of the state, I would say that most students are more right wing. You do see many cliques around but most are willing to open up to others. Money does not seem to be a big issue. Everyone is too busy having a good time in college to think about that, which may not be such a good thing.

It may be harder for some individuals to get accepted to those two universities, however, I do not see why the comments are made. Texas Tech is a superb university and the opportunities it presents are outstanding. I do not see why people think we are not on the same scale as UT or A&M.

Some professors do know my name, usually in my smaller classes. My favorite class would have to be Ornithology. My least favorite would probably be Evolution. Ornithology is the study of birds and it was fascinating to see the behaviors and various ways of life that birds have. Many of my teachers will have student interactions in class which can provide a better understanding of difficult topics. You can find very competetive students here but also very helpful and generous students. Some of the more intelligent students are always willing to help others with uncertainties about their studies. I am satisfied with the requirements that I have had to fulfill while being at Tech. They have provided me with a better understanding and a more interesting outlook on issues that I will encounter in the future.

The Greek organizations are probably the more popular groups on campus. Tech has a very large Greek community, and many of the Greeks tend to get involved more. The football games are probably the most popular event. We struggle to get students to go to ohter athletic and social events. Tailgating is the reason why, in my opinion. I do tend to see a majority of the students enjoying to party, which can interfere with other university events. Movies, studying, resting are all things to do if you do not go out drinking. However, many students need a break, and use the weekends to go out and socialize, which usually involves drinking.

I hear frequently that the reason many of the students that go to Texas Tech do so because they were not accepted to the University of Texas or Texas A&M.

Cathy

When I tell others that I attend Texas Tech, the first thing they say is, "How do you like campus?" Yeah, the campus is huge, but it's not unbearably too big. We do have buses that can help us get around. The campus is so beautiful at certain times int he year. My favorite are winter when it snows, and spring when they have tulips all over campus. Most of my time here is spent in the dorms. The floor i live on now has such an amazing group of girls. We have made some boring nights great. A lot of memories shared here. I thought living in the dorms another year was gonna suck, but when I met the girls on my hall they definitely changed my perspective of that. Tech may not be your usual looking college campus. But one thing that I like about this campus and this city is how on fire we are for our school. When you meet a red raider, whether you like us or not, you will definitely appreciate our love for the game. Whatever it is.

Not at all. Yeah its a small city, but we have a lot of places to go and hang out. Plus, in case they didn't notice, even though Lubbock is a dry county, there is no sign of it. It looks like another college town.

Some stereotypes I heard about before coming to Texas Tech, was that the students here don't know how to have fun. They basically based this on the fact that Lubbock is a small dry county.

Texas Tech University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.