Ewing, NJ
The College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Ryan

I am getting such a rich education at The College of New Jersey. All of the professors here have the highest degree offered in their fields, so they really know what they are talking about. Also, there are no big lecture hall classes here. The biggest class size we have is 48 people. Two of my classes this semester only have 18 people in them, so each student is able to get the most out of the course. At TCNJ, you get an ivy-league education for a public-college price. However, the main deciding factor that resulted in my choosing TCNJ was the fact that 80% of TCNJ students who apply to medical school are accepted! That number is incredibly appealing to me, being a pre-medical student.

The food quality. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either.

Loribel

As a high school senior, all I could think of was college, parties, new friends and a whole new world. As I applied for college I did not think about how I would pay for college or that things were as complicated as I soon would learn they were. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the new journey I was going to embark on was not all going to be easy and great. I would tell myself that just because someone had a certain exprience in college that means I would have the same. I would have also prepared myself to accept that I was going to be deemed different because the majority of the people in my campus were caucasion. As a high school senior I would have made sure that I would have looked better at a schools diversity and financial aid.

I wish I had known that I would face discrimination . I believed that going to college I would be surrounded by knowledge and maturity. I wish I would have prepared myself better in order to understand that everyones college experience is not the same.

This school has a beautiful campus however; a person who wants a city setting should not attend this school. Personally, for me diversity and acceptance has been an issue in this school. A person who is accustomed to a predominantly Caucasian population and suburb setting should attend this school.

The best thing about my school is that I've grown so close with my fellow classmates and professors. There is some competition here, but it's healthy and keeps me motivated. I work well with my classmates, who are now some of my closest friends, and my professors encourage me to do well. I also love knowing that our school has wonderful oppurtunities for graduates and a high job placement rate for seniors. This lets me know that all the hard work I'm doing now will pay off in the end.

Dear Lauren, Enjoy high school while it still lasts. I know you take advantage of the fact that you're the top of your class and it only takes you 20 minutes a night to do your homework. That will no longer me the case once you go to college. You'll be among all the other top students, so A's won't come as easy. Review the material you're learning and really get to know it. Studying a little bit the night before an exam doesn't quite cut it. Everything you learn here will come back at some point, so the more you know and the better you prepare yourself, the easier the transition will be. Take time to plan out your assignments, go over them multiple times, and seek extra help when need be because this will become the norm in a year. Lastly, cherish the time you have left with your classmates. Despite your best efforts, you will lose contact with some of your oldest friends. It's a part of growing up. So live life, have fun, and prepare yourself. Love, Future Lauren

Before I came to college, I thought I knew how to study and manage my time. However, when I came here, I realized what I was doing before was did not at all prepare me for a secondary education. Studying 20 minutes the night before an test just doesn't cut it in college. In fact, I start studying at least a week before all my exams, and sometimes that is not even enough time. Thankfully, I was able to adjust my study skills throughout my freshman year.

Michelle

I would give myself the advice that perseverance is especially important, and to never forget that. Diligence is also another key factor to success and one should always continue to try and exceed expectations.

I wish I had known more about the academic excessiveness and snobby student population.

Emma

It is a beautiful campus and to me the perfect size. It has a lot to do outside off campus as well. It is a challenging school but it is worth it in the end.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself during my senior year I would tell myself to take all the AP science courses I could. I would also tell myself not to be as stressed out over getting into college because things will all work out. If I could share one message with all high school seniors, it would be hard work pays off. All you can do is try the best you can and that's all that matters in the end. Some college freshmen once entering college lose all their drive and motivation. Whether it's the notion that they are already in college or not is unknown. If I could, I would remind myself not to stop working hard because out of all the work and effort, there will come that pot of gold at the end of a rainbow that I have been searching for through the journey of the high school years and college years.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that they base scholarships and certain class placements too heaviily on the SATS. The SATS aren't everything and I would be proof to that. I did excellent in high school and worked extremely hard yet lacked amazing SAT scores and for that was awarded nothing for my hard efforts, not even for being top ten of my class. Not everyone are good test takers or had the equal opportunity to prepare for the SATS. It is sometimes an unfair test, in my eyes at least.

Zachary

The best way of getting into the groove of college life is to meet as many people as possible on your freshman floor, and spend time with the ones you enjoy spending time with as opposed to anyone you can spend time with. It's best to have a lot of friends, but you want to have a core group of friends as well that you can count on for living situtations and eating meals with. Be open-minded about clubs, but don't join them just because your friends joined - trust me, you'll stop going after a meeting or two because any other activity will be more interesting than an obligation you don't want. Finally, I would suggest learning to sleep on a schedule - I don't do this, but my few friends that do seem to be vibrantly more awake than I am all the time even if I slept 10 hours the night before. Something about college is extremely tiring, and sleep becomes your new best friend but can be a time killer during crunch periods (finals and midterms). Also: group projects - avoid them like the plague. You WILL end up doing all the work.

I wish I had known what kinds of activities I wanted to participate in (clubs to join, etc.) - I spent my freshman year kind of flip-flopping between things that kind of spiked my interest but weren't things I could really get devoted to. I also had a habit of signing up for clubs my friends were doing instead of things I really wanted to do. Since then, I've now found my niche group and am very happy.

TCNJ is perfect for students who live in New Jersey that want to go away from home but not be too far. It's a good school that doesn't have pretentious students and has a great social life that I imagine could suit anyone (there's a reason why TCNJ has a ~90% retention rate). Academically, it's excellent for anyone who wants to be a nurse, teacher, or pre-med student.

Kalvin

Alright buddy, getting into college isn't really the last thing on your plate. In fact, THIS is the point where you really have to start looking forward. You've declared a major, but it's probably the best idea to have a general idea to know where thats going. Medicine? That's costy. Get on your scholarships, because the loans you're about to make are VERY scary in terms of fine print. Oh, but don't worry too much! While it's the start of a new future, it's also not hyper-speed paced. You're going to have a great time making new friends and breaking into a new environment and making your mark on campus. Just don't forget to keep your priorities straight, okay? Behave!

To tell the truth, there is no way to be completely prepared for college, whether academically or socially. I kind of wish I had known that getting used to college was going to process that was going to be aided by college staff and the ambassadors, instead of a headfirst dive into a new environment. It would have cut my pre- move-in nervousness in half at least. TCNJ does a great job bring together its student body and really takes care of everybody.

I guess the most frustrating part about going to a relatively small school in Central Jersey is that food is really hit or miss. Eickhoff Hall is really convenient to get to (as the campus is a 10 minute walk across) but the food there kind of spoils appetites. Luckily, there's a Five Guys about a mile down the road.

Kristel

My nursing classmates are very competitive with one another. However, they are motivated and enthusiastic students.

As co-founder of a Relational Aggression Group, I researched this topic for four years. Our group raises awareness about issues that emerge as a result of relational aggression, while helping teenage girls understand what the behavior is and why it occurs. Girls need to learn how to speak out, which is what I encouraged them to do. Through my college years, I have significantly impacted the school environment. My peers realized that they did not have to be powerless. I am honored to be a leader of this expansion of awareness. I carry this program with me because it occurs through adulthood. I have learned more about myself. My endurance allows me to accomplish anything. Over the years of research, it comes naturally to me to detect these situations. I spread awareness by being committed, communicative, and supportive. I encourage inclusive friendships and accept others. We are programmed by our culture to care what others think and become preoccupied with seeking approval. Thus, this behavior must be unlearned, which is challenging in itself. Being able to cope with everyone's adversities and different personalities is important to consider when adapting to living with people in the college dorms.

Not having a downtown to walk around.

Kelly

In my opinion, The College of New Jersey is best known for its tightly knit campus community. TCNJ takes great pride in its high academic standing so it is best known for its small classes and its enthusiastic professors. TCNJ and Rutgers University often get compared because they are major state universities of New Jersey, however the two are not comparable when it comes to the dedication of professors. TCNJ classes never exceed thirty students, by the end of the semester the professor knows everyone?s name and are very helpful. Strong bonds are formed between professors and other students.

If I could go into college knowing what I have learned after a semester as a freshman I would be a very lucky person. I would tell my self that while first impressions are important if you spend too much time worrying about how you come across to other people you'll miss out on the great friends you can make by just being your self. Going to and living at college is like joining a new family that you have to form by yourself, so it is up to you to be outgoing and to hang out with the kind of people who appreciate and care for you. Without friends, college wouldn't even be an experience. You need people to support you and help you get through your transition into being on your own, and the only way to do it is to open yourself up to new experiences. While college is a chance to start anew, it does not mean that you have to change yourself completely. With a little experimentation you can find the right balance between the two. Balance is the key to a successful college life.

If you are interested in attending TCNJ you should benefit from a small classroom experience. It is not a big school and there is only one free bus that runs on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays that takes students to the nearby mall, restaurants, movies, and stores. Students are allowed to bring their cars on campus for two weeks per semester as a freshman and permanently as a sophomore and there a plenty of things to do around Ewing. All though its more focused on acadmecis rather than sports and parties, there is still no shortage of events to keep busy.

Danielle

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, is to dream big and forge lasting relationships with teachers, students, and students outside of the dorm and my comfort zone. It is important to form bonds with the exceptional professors provided, building a network of support that gives one inspiration and the thirst to dream big and accomplish your goals. It is important to make friends with students who will help you along your path and give you memories and experiences that only college can bring. Most of all it is vital that college is a place where higher thinking can transpire, participating in new activities as well as using the opportunities available to further development in an interest already realized. My advice is to be aware that as an individual and a community, great tasks can be accomplished. One should not settle for being mundane or ordinary, but strive to be extraordinary. College is a time to take charge of ones personal potential and recognize the need for hard work and passion to reach that potential.

The best thing about The College of New Jersey is the sense of community within the school that connects the students, workers, professors, and administration. Because of the unique size of The College of New Jersey, bonds can be formed between everyone and anyone which prompts positive academic encouragement as well as friendships and a feeling of safety and support. Professors become mentors as they make themselves available to students outside of class in order to build respectful and guiding relationships and students are able to make lifelong friends in this strong community oriented environment.

The most frustrating quality about The College of New Jersey is its ability to become a small campus bubble if one lets it. Though transportation such as busses and trains are easily available to students to travel Philadelphia, New York, or anywhere else one might want or need to go, the community feeling can become confined in day to day life because one can become self sufficient within campus, not having the need to travel elsewhere.

The College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.