Ewing, NJ
The College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Kelly

TCNJ is extremely focused on a well-rounded education, in and out of the classroom.

Relax. Never let anyone tell you to decide right now-- where to go to college, where to live when you “grow up,” or what you want to do for the rest of your life. Relax. You’re not supposed to know. You’re young; life is exciting. Choose a field that interests you. You will lose interest and change your mind a time or three. You’ll gain interest in things you didn’t know existed. You will cram and regurgitate myriad facts. You will become independent, self-sufficient, organized, and responsible. You will coexist with others. You will make and lose friends, develop new interests and hobbies, and you will have a blast. Learn things and love things. Get frustrated, but don’t call it quits; you’ll be proud to come out a graduate. It won’t be easy to land that first job. You will tell yourself you wasted time and money. You didn’t. Though, you never did learn to be patient. Good things will come. You worked for it, earned it, and deserve it. Your brain will be stuffed, you will know extraordinary individuals, and you’ll have had the time of your life.

Thomas

An encouraging , engaging, and exciting experience.

An encouraging , engaging, and exciting experience.

Listen to me Thomas STUDY , know matter how hard it is focus in class and understand the things your teachers say because without those lessons the books you read won't mean a thing .

The Dining hall gets old quick, but I am from Northern NJ and get spoiled with the food I am able to eat so my opinion might be a little biased.

Very reputable and focused on a fun, worthwile, valuable education.

Very reputable and focused on a fun, worthwile, valuable education.

I would definitely invest time in applying to many schools that you think would be a good fit for your goals. Apply to as many scholarships as you can, because the more you apply, the better chance you have of getting one. Perhaps even more importantly, apply to all the small scholarships. A lot of people go for the "big wins", which leaves less competition for the smaller denominations. Once you've chosen your school, research clubs and other extracurricular activities available. Also, look ahead at classes you may be taking later on in your Junior or Senior year, as well as research and internship opportunities. This type of research will help you get excited for going away, which is often a difficult time for someone who has never been away at home. Also, contact any roommates you have well before move-in. This way you can get acquainted and maybe start forging a friendship before you even really meet! Lastly, I would advise being open and willing to join in once you get to school. It's intimidating being plopped into a new environment, but if you embrace it, you will be having a blast in no time!

Mallory

TCNJ is honestly known for its academics. We are highly rated by all the top college surveyers. It's intenstive and rigorous, but it's a mini Ivy League education.

TCNJ is a liberal arts school so literally anyone is a good fit for this school. If you're looking for a small, close knit environment that allows you to grow into yourself as well as achieve all your academic goals than TCNJ is for you.

Alaina

The entire idea of college is daunting. Moving away from home in order to start a new life, complete with new friends, new rooming situations, new rules, is enough to stress even the most adaptable high schooler. Unfortunately for high school me, I hated change. While very few people actually enjoy change, I felt an especially nervous hatred towards moving on, moving away from everything that I had ever known. After actually undergoing all of these changes, though, I have one simple piece of advice for my past self: relax. Everything is going to be absolutely fine. The College of New Jersey doesn't plunge you into the adulthood it creates of being alone and fully making your own choices for the first time. At least, not alone. The first week, Welcome Week, introduces you to other fresh-faced, equally scared members of your class. Through this you form friendships, plenty of friendships, ones that you know will withstand the test of freshman year as you maneuver this new era of your life. These friendships will help you through all of the difficulties you face freshman year, from rigorous classes to social embarrassments to emotional strife. So go on - relax.

I wish I had known how important it would be to join clubs from the get-go. While the classroom is enriching, the College's clubs further the knowledge of those who join them in an engaging manner, while spreading awareness. A good friend of mine started a club, Project Stay Gold, that looks to promote awareness of the evils of human trafficking in an attempt to prevent it from spreading more than it already has. Other clubs, such as the Eurasia-Middle East Society, which I am a part of, teaches members about the nuances of Middle Eastern cultures.

People who want to succeed and be happy in life should go to The College of New Jersey. I have never seen a college that is more dedicated to challenging its students to achieve their fullest potential, while at the same time ensuring that there are good times mixed in with the difficult ones. The College provides Welcome Week to its incoming freshmen, a time for them to foster friendships that will last a lifetime and that will help them get through the tough academic journey looming in front of them.

Clara

The best possible advice I could give to a high school version of myself would be that everything works out in the end and to not stress about what is not in your control. As a high school senior my heart would stop when I checked the mail for college decisions. Georgetown University—my dream school since I was a child—had sent me a thin envelope. I did not have a spot in the Georgetown Class of 2017. I felt as though everything I had worked for had been wisped away. I elected to enroll at a public school close to my home.It turned out that the institution I elected to attend wasn’t a good fit after all, so I applied to transfer. As it all worked out, I will be joining the Georgetown Class of 2017 this fall. I wish I could tell my senior-self that working hard and determination are my strongest traits and to trust those traits. My rejection from not only Georgetown, but from other colleges it sparked in me a desire to work harder, be better, and to prove those colleges wrong. And I did prove those schools wrong.

The class sizes are small, so a lot of attention is given to the students. The teachers are also flexible and will fit you into their classes most of the time even if the classes are full.

Almost everyone is from New Jersey, and while there is diversity in ethnicity, there is no diversity of thought. People aren't the most ambitious and almost all of them just want to stay in New Jersey for the rest of their lives. Students aren't always the most passionate about what they're studying either.

Dear High School Self, First of all I want to say, college life is much different than it is on TV. You're going to be entering TCNJ during the middle of the school year and I'm not going to to lie, it's going to be hard to make friends. Keep studying and doing good in school. You're teachers won't all be amazing so you might have to work a little extra to keep up your grades, but don't go crazy studying. Make sure you take time to live your life. College is going to be stressfull, but you will get through it. Word of advice, don't wait for the night before a paper is due to write it. It's no fun. You break out in a rash and it's not good for us. You haven't made any new friends yet, but put yourself out there. Don't be afraid to be yourself. I am so proud of you and who you are becoming. I know you'll do great during the next 4 1/2 years of college. Truly yours, Future Self P.S. Live life to the fullest!

The worst thing about my school is that some of the employees there are very rude. It's like they can't be bothered with helping you registar for classes or let you know when tuition is due. Also, some of the teachers just do not know how to teach. They go off on tangents or they are not prepared for classes.

People who attend this school should be determined to work hard and study. But they should also know who to relax and have fun. Classes get overwhelming at times and students need to know how to take a step back, breathe, and go take a few minutes for themselves before diving into papers.

Jazmine

This school really prides itself on community service and engagement. Also the classes in my major are rather small and theoretically focused, which was looking forward to . And out of the various school I'd visited, the faculty and staff at TCNJ clearly communicated that they expected the best from their students. No other school that I was considering seemed to stress academic excellence as much as TCNJ.

Students who haven't already developed a strong sense of discipline, organization, and academic and social assertiveness will probably not be as successful here. The adjustment period is short, and as a student you have to be very independently motivated and focused from the beginning in order to get the most out of your experience. As well it's not a very ethnically or culturally diverse community. Socially it can be a bit disconnected and therefore disconcerting for those looking for diversity or a strong sense of community. The main focus is definitely on academics.

The College of New Jersey offered smaller class sizes, great scientific facilities and equipment, a nice envrionment, and overall good facilities. The cost of education is reasonable compared to what you learn. The professors are extremely knowledgable in their respective fields and are very willing to help their students in any way possible. The campus is gorgeous and there are many places to study or work with other students.

If I could go back in time to talk with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is extremely difficult, but also rewarding because you learn so much in such a short amount of time. People on campus are really nice. Professors are willing to help you and make sure you go to their office hours if you're having difficulty with anything. Your peers, for the most part, will be easy to get along with, and friends can be made quickly and almost effortlessly. Always try to have someone you know in all your classes so if you don't understand something or you want to study with someone, you won't be alone or feel awkward asking a classmate something. Studying is important, but remember to have fun so you don't burn yourself out because, in college, it is a lot easier to burn out faster if you never give yourself a break.

I wish I had known how difficult the coursework really would be; I knew collegiate level work would be more difficult than high school coursework, but I could never have guessed how much time and effort you really need to effect in order to gain knowledge and do well in your courses, especially for the physical science majors. I also wish I had known how friendly everyone would be and how it's actually pretty easy to make friends, across all majors.

Linda

The College of New Jersey is widely acknowledged for being the best Public College in New Jersey. It is a liberal arts college, offering students many different opportunities to gain the best education possible.

Given the chance to go back in time and better prepare for my college experience, I would advise myself to become more involved on campus from the start of the school year. I was hesitant to join clubs on campus in the beginning of my first semester at college because I worried that I wouldn't be welcomed. However, I was completely mistaken. As I slowly took the time to meet more people, I realized that everyone on campus was extremely outgoing and greeted new faces with warm smiles. It took a while for me to realize this but as soon as I did, I joined Student Government, the Leadership Development Program, Secondary Educators Club and Zeta Tau Alpha and was on track to a well rounded college experience. Having realized that I could have expereinced a better start to my college career, I would advise not only myself, but any other high school senior to become involed in clubs or activities as soon as possible, to ensure a wonderful college experience.

I felt very prepared for this school. As per usual, it was an adjustment living away at a school surrounded by people you've never met before and studying for classes about material you haven't been exposed to before, but everyone at the college (professors, upperclassmen, etc.,) made it a comfortable place to be.

The College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.