San Antonio, TX
The University of Texas at San Antonio

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas at San Antonio

Blake

UTSA is a really great school. A lot of people think that it's just some little college that's just a local type of school but it's not. There are students from all over the US that come here. It's a really good school to come to. One thing I would change is the campus living. There are a lot of student from outside the San Antonio are that have a hard time trying to find a place to leave because the dorms on campus fill up quickly because there aren't that many.

UTSA is a very diverse campus. There are students from all kinds of different backgrounds that come here.

Academics at UTSA are awesome. They have a really good education program.

That UTSA isn't a big campus. That there is no campus life, that there isn't a lot for students to get involved in.

Owen

The physical University consists of two main elements: UTSA 1604 campus and UTSA Downtown campus. It's possible for any student to take classes at both locations, but most students will spend the bulk of their time at the 1604 campus. This campus, located on the north side of San Antonio, is somewhat like a giant concrete treehouse. The entire center of campus is built above ground, and thus the main entrances to many of the buildings are situated on the 2nd floor. In the middle of all this, and in front of the JPL Library, is a shaded fountain and sitting area known as the Sombrilla. You'll pass it on the way to most of your classes, and students can be found here at all times of day. To the north are the various sporting fields, the Activity Center, and most of the on-campus housing. Most non-students are suprised to learn that UTSA's student body is rather large, nearing 30,000 students. Nonetheless, the on-campus experience is pretty cheery, and interactions with other students generally positive. Clubs and organizations have a strong presence at UTSA, so new students are likely to find a smaller circle to relate to soon after arriving on campus.

The UTSA student body is diverse and outspoken, even as colleges go. There are strong cultural, degree-based, theistic / atheistic, political, and other groups of all kinds. Minorities in general, and the Latino poulation in specific, are very active and well-placed within the student community. Grossly generalizing, the student body seems to be left-leaning and religious apathetic, but there are also active conservative, moderate, Christian, athiest, and Muslim contingents on campus. Most of the student population comes from locations within Texas, but national and international students are not at all uncommon.

Though the situation has been steadily improving in recent years, UTSA's reputation as a "commuter school" is still largely accurate. The university began that way in the late sixties, and that early influence carries over today. The "commuter school" image is perhaps best exemplified in UTSA's small contingent of on-campus residents, which only makes up a ninth or so of the entire student body. However, direct and indirect steps (including more on-campus housing and activities) are being taken to steer the university away from this condition. On the other hand, the stereotype about UTSA students using the university as a substitute, of sorts, for UT is largely false. Certainly those cases represent a percentage of the student population, but a far greater number happily attend UTSA as a first choice. It's said that even of the students who planned to transfer out after the first year, a majority decide that they like the school after all and decide to stay.

UTSA's admissions standards are known to be pretty lax, but - thankfully - this doesn't seem to adversely affect the quality of education found at the university. Therefore, most who apply are admitted, many drop out, and left at the core are a group of students who are generally motivated and want to be there. Professors are helpful at guiding students towards real world application of the material, but there is also a welcome aspect of traditional knowledge-seeking (as at any university worthy of the descriptor). A healthy amount of proper debate and discussion can be found amoung students, even outside of class, without looking too terribly hard. The general atmosphere of the university, both from the faculty and other students, seems to promote academic discussion rather than supress it.

There are a number of highly active clubs and organizations at UTSA. Greek life also has a healthy presence with a number of fraternities / sororities ranging from traditional to progressive in style. UTSA's political and religious organizations frequently arrange for guest speakers to speak on campus. Student attendence for on-campus sports can be hit or miss, but considering the current (though temporary) lack of a Div. I football team, support for second-tier sports isn't so bad. Basketball, in particular, is pretty closely followed by many of the students. The party scene at UTSA is well-present but not excessive, and seems to provide a good counterbalance for academics for most students. Otherwise, on-campus life is less that stellar, but steadily and quickly improving.

Probably the most predominant stereotype about UTSA is that it's a commuter school. The image is that students come and go by car, with relatively few living on-campus or maintaining a solid on-campus presence. The stereotype about UTSA students is that a majority are there just as a stepping-stone to UT, or because they can't get in to UT.

Stef

I think UTSA is a great school because it isn't too big. It is not small either, but small enough to get to know people and form lasting friendships. I would definitely add A LOT more parking. When I talk to people and tell them I go to UTSA most of them agree with me on what a great school it is. Most of the time that I am here (usually from 6 AM until 9:30 PM, including 8-10 hours on Saturdays) I am either in the BSE building or the EB in a computer lab. San Antonio is a great city for a college. There are plenty of places for the students to go that want to go party or whatever, but there are a lot of other things to do like bowling, ice skating, miniature golf, movies, etc. Administration here has always been very helpful to me since I started school here my junior year. They are very kind and if they can't answer a question they will definitely know where to send a student to get the help they need. The only controversy that I have ever heard about from the Paisano was when some organization was trying to get the "Border Crossing" statue removed for different issues they had with it. I disagree and think it should stay, but I am not going to look down on anyone for having a different opinion other than mine. When I think of school pride, it reminds me of my high school at different sports events and I never have attended anything here. I would have to guess yes though. There are so many experiences I have had here at UTSA that have all been so positive that I will always remember. They range from working with professors and other students to helping out at volunteer events. I think the biggest complaint here right now is the parking issue that everyone has. Hopefully after the new garages open it will help out a lot.

I haven't had any real experiences with certain groups on campus. I do know that there are people of every race, gender, and age here and everyone seems to fit in just fine. It is really great. Students here wear anything, from jeans and tshirts, to slacks and button up shirts, to pajama pants and a sweater. It is a very relax atmosphere, which I think is good because if the students are comfortable, they are more likely to continue school and learn better. All students here interact with each other with no problems that I have seen. When I do go to the JPL for lunch, there is such a mixture of students at each table. Again, different genders, different races, different majors, everything!! I really have no clue where most students here at UTSA come from or about financial backgrounds or about political preferences. Here in the engineering department we do talk about salaries of newly graduated engineers. And it is not so much just to talk about the money, it is more of a way to let us know how much our knowledge and hard work had paid off. When it comes time to getting a job, we need to know where to start discussing offers with employers.

Not that I can think of. But I don't have time to think right now...I have a meeting to go to. :)

ALL of my professors that I have taken know my name. I make sure to ask questions in class and event visit them in their office with any problems I have. My favorite classes that I have taken are two different labs that are for mechanical engineers. They are really fun, which makes it easier to learn the material and stay motivated to complete all the reports. My least favorite classes are mainly the core classes that I had to complete. I am not a big fan of economics or history or literature. Students that I go to school with study all the time, and are even here on the weekends. We always joke around and say it is because we are studying engineering. And even as a joke, I have to sit back and think about how true it is, too. Classes for me haven't been too big, which gives everyone the chance to participate in class. And yes, there are a lot of intellectual conversations going on outside the engineering buildings for sure. Competition is not a real big thing that I have seen. Most of the time, all the students help each other out with things instead of trying to be better than each other. But it is always good for design team's to have a good project. The most unique class I have taken (and am currently in) is Senior Design. It is so different from most classes because we make up our own goals as to what we need to get done. Our advisor makes sure all the groups stay on track but it is a really great feeling to know we can almost do what engineers do at their everyday jobs. I am a mechanical engineer. Most students here are very persistent and put in a lot of hours to get our work done. Being a woman, I am also part of the minority of engineers. This is a great feeling, and I do my best to help get out to young girls now and talk to them. I do visit professors outside of class. For guidance on projects or questions on homework or just to let them know when I cannot be in class. I would rather meet with them face to face than send them an email so they do get to know who I am and know that I am here and ready to put everything I have into their class. Academic requirements here are fine, and the education students recieve is great. There are plenty of companies that will hire recent graduates of UTSA. And our career services department does a wonderful job of helping the students out before graduation by having career fairs, helping with resumes, and even helping prepare for interview sessions.

I don't have much time to spend outside of academic work to know who the popular groups are here on campus. Currently I am secretary of Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society and President of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Tau Beta Pi just recently got started not to long ago and hasn't really taken off real strongly just yet, but we are working on it. And SWE keeps me extremely busy. We volunteers and many events and try to get out to high schools and middle schools to talk to young students about engineering and hopefully get them excited about it. I live an hour away...so I have no clue about dorm life, or athletic events, or speakers, or theater. I am also engaged...so the dating scene is something I cannot comment on either. Some of my closest friends here at UTSA have been in the same classes as me for the past 2 years, and the first class we had together is where I met them. 2 AM on a Tuesday night....last year I would probably be up doing homework or writing a report. This year I am definitely in bed because I get up at 4 AM. Traditions here at UTSA that I have heard about or maybe seen sign on are Fiesta, Homecoming, and a few other events that happen every year that I can't think of right now. I don't know when or how often people party here. Last weekend on Saturday I was here on campus meeting with my senior design group from 8AM to 7PM and Sunday I did homework and saw a movie with my fiance. If I actually get to spend a Saturday with my fiance, we usually go see a movie, or go bowling, or even just sit at our house and play cards or something simple. We don't drink that much. Just being with each other is good enough for us. Well since I don't live on campus, I do everything off campus. But during the week, all I do is school work, whether I am here in a lab or at home. Some things that I do like to do are go hunting, go fishing, ride four wheelers, playing games, watching movies, and DEFINITELY spending as much time with my family as I can (which usually is about once or twice a month).

I have been here two years and have really just been in the engineering area of the school. I don't have to much input as to what stereotypes are out there about UTSA.

The University of Texas at San Antonio administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.