Troy, AL
Troy University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Troy University

Allison

Troy has a "big college" atmosphere in a small campus setting. Classes are mostly small which helps with individualized attention. Fraternities and Sororities along with football and baseball run the social circuit. You don't have to be a member but knowing someone involved will amp your social life. There is ALWAYS a party happening..it's that crazy. ABC Board has deemed Troy one of their "biggest challenges": "They're day drinkers there..dont know how thet handle it." Between the lake and beach, parties or The Front Porch...you will never have a dull night!

I would definitely say look beyond the actual campus. Look into the city the campus is located in because more than likely your child will want to live off campus one day. Make sure there is adequate health care available not to mention the crime rate of the city as well on campus. Before making a final decision spend a weekend in each city you are considering. Use one day to tour the college campus and use the other day to tour the city and check out the people who live in the area. Also, keep in mind the size of the campus you are looking into. If you want a huge campus (which usually comes with a highly active social community) make sure you will be able to handle the stress and temptations of the big city campus. You definitely must have discipline if you want to succeed in any college setting, but big popular campuses host more reasons NOT to study. If you feel you will be distracted easily by social functions, you may want to start off at a small campus or community college for the first year or so then transfer to a bigger college.

Troy is only 2 hours from the beach!! Plus it is in between Auburn and Bama so if for some random chance Troy isnt having a party somewhere you can take the relatively short drives to see other friends who chose the big colleges!

Shalander

I would tell anyone to just weigh their options. They should narrow down choices by city size, classroom size, and things as such.

This school is great for any and everyone.

Blake

My classmates are friendly and very down-to-earth people.

My classmates are friendly and very down-to-earth people.

We're VERY diverse, with an great international program, great football team, friendly people, and located in a great small town.

Make sure you pick a diverse school that socially accepts everyone, gives everybody chances, and have a great learning facility with fun extracurricular activities. Good luck in the future!

Blane

I would suggest in depth research as to what the student's interest are and what colleges offer the best opportunity for that student and visit your top 5 choices to narrow it down. When you find the right college for you, you will know it!

I enjoy the fact that Troy University isn't too big. I think it is just the right size college for me. I am in a sorerity and have met many new firends through the organization and have enjoyed my time so far at Troy.

Malissa

Education. It even used to be named the Teacher's college.

Education. It even used to be named the Teacher's college.

Prepare for college while you're still in high school. Research schools and payment options early so that you aren't stressed out when it comes time to leave for school. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to have good grades. It is very hard for even average students to get scholarships in this competitive environment. Your hard work will pay off without a doubt.

A lot of the time we get the runaround when it comes to getting advice. I was told that because I have a Pell Grant, even though it doesn't cover everything "should be enough". So by showing financial need and qualifying for the Pell Grant, I was told that I didn't express financial need. Very frustrating.

Pamela

When I looked at colleges, I stressed over the choice. Did I want to go to an "it" school that I knew I would have fun , or a school that would let me follow a strong career choice, or did I want to stay with my friends at the local community college? Ultimately I trusted my gut and hoped that Troy University, a small but growing college, would be the right choice for me. When you are looking for the right school and experiencing the life that goes along with it , the most important thing is to know what your personal strengths are, and what you want to gain from the school you attend. From my first day of classes and realizing my professors cared about me personally, to gettting to know and love my roommates, to going parties and study sessions, to enjoying concerts and conversation, and to finding friends and true romance that will last a lifetime, I made the right choice. I can only advise that you take a chance and trust your instincts, and you will be able to look at your choice with the same contentment that I do today.

The best thing about Troy University is its size. Whether the small s that is size means you have immediate access to your professors or your classes are rarely of an intimdating size, Troy is a growing college, but still comfortable and friendly. I have always described it as a campus that is large enough for you to meet someone new every day, but still small enough that every day you will see familiar faces and friends. The comfortable size of Troy is its strongest attribute.

To be frank, one of the worst things about my school is the lack of a college- town atmosphere. There are very few venues outside of the University that cater to college students. Aside from Greek band parties , there actually isn't very much to do . I feel like Troy should work with the town to encourage and embrace the grwoing population of students looking for places to shop, eat, and hang out.

Mike

In college you will find yourself with different schedules and commitments. You must keep track of all the dates and times tests, quizzes, and projects are due. Make sure you have one central calendar in a day planner, PDA or some other type of planner. This will help you make sure you know what's going on at all times in your college life. PDA's are most useful because you can set up alarms to remind you of things. It is critical that you are able to stay organized throughout college. Space is at a premium, and you will save a lot of time and headaches if you are able to locate all of your class notebooks, papers, and other materials. Use your calendar to plan ahead for tests and quizzes. You never know who you will run into again down the road or when you will need something. Make sure you are always nice to people in your major. As you get closer to graduation, you tend to start having classes with the same people.

The worst about Troy is the campus is un organized. When you register or need changes on your schedule, it is always a run-around.

I do not know. Any campus requires dedication.

Julia

Troy University offers a vast amount of classes with a great student to teacher ratio.

When searching for the right college, a student should deside on ones personal beliefs and desires. A student should choose for themselves, not by where anyone else is going. the school needs to offer majors you are interested in and a good student involvement program. Most college offer a vast amount of organizations a student can choose from - I suggest getting started immediatly when looking for a organization to be apart of.

Troy University likes to have a well rounded student whom focuses on acedimic excellence, social experiences, and community invovlement.

William

Be open minded and willing to make mistakes. Enjoy life, trust in God and encourage your child to reach beyond their comforfort zone.

Inability to find a part time job

In order to find the right college, students should start by visiting the campuses of the universities they are interested in. Focus on how comfortable you feel there and how the faculty and students interact there. Research the different academic programs, the extra-cirricular activities, and the financial aid they offer. The best resource you can use when choosing a school is knowledge. The more you know, the better prepared you are. Once you have decided, try to make the most of your experience there. As you meet new people and join groups, you will find out the best person you can be. At TROY, I was unsure about where I would fit in and what my career path would be. As I talked with students and faculty, I found an organization that seems to be niche. It feels so natural to be a part of and I find myself growing and learning more each day. I know that because I am a part of this group I am better prepared to face the world once I graduate from this university. And it is all because I made the right choice for me.

Troy University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.