University of Houston Top Questions

What should every freshman at University of Houston know before they start?

Kevin

Knowing what I know now, I would have told my high school self to try harder. I would've told myself to not make excuses. Just because I grew up poor does not mean that I have to be poor forever. I would have told myself to start early, to get a head start in finding financial help for school and to not depend on loans to pay off school. I would have told myself to study more and think less on what it could have been if I was living in a middle class family. It all made no difference pondering on such things. It just extended my time and reach for success. I would have told myself to work less in high school and spend more time being more active in school activities, creating broader networks that could be useful in the long run. Knowing what I know now, transitioning to college life would have been much more easy had there been someone to guide me through the process.

Anissa

The advice that I would give myself would be to take your school work seriously. I would tell myself that you need to focus more on school because 'we' tend to get stressed out when we procrastonate until the last second. I would let myself know that not doing your work on time or letting things snow ball out of control will only hurt you later, when you realize what happened and try to put the pieces back together when it is already too late. Although most of the things I would tell myself are academic, I would also tell myself to branch out more socially. Join more clubs, thats how you will make life long friends. I would also tell myself not to be afraid to be myself, there are people who really like you for who you are, nerdyness and all. Don't sweat the little things, everything will fall into place eventually, don't worry.

When I was a high school senior, I was forced to transition to a lower standard high school after going to fairly prestigious high school in my city. That had physically and mentally crushed me, I felt that the future I planeed out was ruin and it took away all my motivation to do well. I ended up doing everything half-assed. If I was to go back, I would slap my younger self and tell her, "you're an idiot". Because of the stupid decisions I made when I was younger, I'm suffering the consequences now. If I really could go back in time, I'll tell her to look at the bright side of the bad situation. I'll tell her that even if she is going to a lower standard school it doesn't mean the world ended it just means things just changed a little! I'll tell her to strive to the top, look at all her opportunties, and not to only what is in front of her. That way I would probably be happier than I am now.

Ruth

I would tell myself to actually study for the SAT’s. I couldn’t stress enough how important it is to get into a good college or land a full ride scholarship. Get involved in organizations and do volunteer work. Fill out as many scholarships as you can, even the ones that require essays. Enroll in different colleges even if you’re already planning to attend a specific one. Don’t let yourself procrastinate and stay on task. I would say sign up for your college classes early each semester and don’t be afraid to try new things. Do your homework ahead of time, not on the due date you’ll get swamped with work. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and take advantage of college opportunities such as tutoring. Most of all don’t be afraid to be yourself, to have fun, and to let your guard down every once in a while.

james

Well, the best advice I could give myself as a college senior on my first day would be to find yourself. The sooner a man finds himself, the more fulfilling life can be from there on out. Find something you love, find something you're passionate about, find out more about yourself as James. People always talk about how important the future is, and I agree the future is important. But take time out of your day every day to focus on the present. Focus on the now. Sit back, relax, and reflect on the world around you. As far as college applications, and other pressures about college, just don't procrastinate. It's that simple. The less you procrastinate the more time you'll have to focus on yourself. Enjoy your senior year, it'll be the best of your life thus far.

Chaveli

I spent my four years of high school trying to become someone I was not. My group of friends were the type of friends that settled for average. These type of people had no motivation to become someone better. For that reason, the influence they had on me led me to not be involved in any sports or much extracurricular activities. I took a few AP classes here and there but I know I could’ve pushed myself harder if I only would’ve tried. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself the following: once you accept that high school diploma, social status, the parties, who dated who, drugs, and trying to “fit in” will no longer matter. All these things are temporary and unimportant. I’ve learned that becoming someone whom your parents and your family will be proud of something to strive for. I would tell my past self to worry about who YOU want to become and not to blend in with the crowd. If someone tells you you can’t do something, do it and shove it in their face. Be original, be yourself, don’t be afraid to try something new.

EDUARDO

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself the following: In order to be successful, you need to plan ahead and practice good habits because that's part of having good discipline. Get involved in the community and volunteer a little more. Do not worry about finding a job now because you will always have a job after you're done with school if you go to school. Time does not wait for anyone nor will it wait for you so make sure that you use your time wisely. I promise that you will have plenty of time to have fun, but first focus on your studies in college and do your best. By completing school, you will be able to show and lead a good example to your family members. Others will look up to you and you will be able to guide them through school because of your experience. Education will never be taken from you, enjoy and remember that knowledge is power.

Noelle

I would have pushed myself harder to study more for my classes. I would have payed more attention to my school books than the boys in high school.

Trung

I would give myself a perspective of how working just a tad harder and putting out a little more effort in all my classes may have helped me recieve more scholarships. Also, telling myself to stay in Football past my sophmore year because I have the potential to be something special, but was scared I wouldn't be able to balance schoolwork and sports. Furthermore, I would tell myself to open up to more people rather than just talk to the same people everyday. I would definitely tell myself to smile more and not listen to my music in the hallways. Last of all, tell myself to stop worrying so much what other may think of me and be more confident in my own skin.

Rosh'Zay

You need to e really focus and stop waiting to the last mintue to do something. Trust me, thingd will be a lot easier on you when buckle down and get serious.