Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Tiffany

I was one of those kids who didn't want to go to UL. I wanted to get away from home and meet new people. Little did I know UL was just the place for that. I never see anyone I went to high school with. I joined a sorority and many other organizations on campus, which helped meet to meet lots of new people, many that I can call my best friends.

People in Louisiana need to face the fact, our lives don't evolve around LSU. What kind of education does LSU have? UL has some of the best programs in the country, including nursing, engineering, architecture, and computer science. Not only that, but the people are much nicer. The main perk about UL is its price. Okay, so our football team may not be the best, okay they are really bad, but the baseball and softball teams were both ranked in pre-season polls and the basketball team just won its division.

People only go to UL because they cant get into LSU. Our sports are bad.

Julie

Having graduated from a small private school, I was nervous about going to a large public university. However, I have very much enjoyed being a student at UL. I have met a great number of people from vastly great varieties of walks of life. The best thing to do at UL (or at any university for that matter) is to get involved on campus. Anyone who says he has a hard time making friends does not try. Being only an hour aways from a 3 time national championship football team (LSU), the Ragin Cajuns often get overlooked, but there are still the Cajun faithfuls. We enjoy our tailgating and wearing red with pride! The city of Lafayette and Lafayette businesses do a great job supporting the university and its students. Many places in town give discounts for students and are eager to support the athletics and student organizations.

If you are looking for a university that has just about every type of ethnicity, religious background, political background, etc., UL is definitely the place! The university is very culturally diverse. I don't think there are any type of students that would feel isolated or alienated at UL.

UL does have many students from the Lafayette area, but there are many many other states and countries represented Since being a student at UL, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the "top notch" academics. The classes and professors are by no means second rate. It is true that the student population at UL parties a good bit, but if clubbing is not your thing, they are still plenty of students who do not.

The Biology department at UL is one of the best, and the professors are great. I have personally gotten to know several of my professors, and they have provided sound advice for me. Of course, in the large lecture classes, it is difficult to know every student, but they have always been very welcoming and helpful during office hours. I'm not sure about other majors, but for the most part, Biology majors study a good bit. A good portion are trying to get into medical school, and grades are very important.

UL has over 100 different student organizations from academic to religious to athletic to community service to just for fun. Dorm life is not hug at UL. Most students live off campus or in campus apartments. There is always a decent amount of students at every sporting event. I met almost all of my closest friends from student organizations. Although, I am not involved in Greek life, there are many that are. Although, I would not say it's the main thing to do. Every spring, the University Program Council hosts Lagniappe Week. It involves a variety of events from community/charity events to movie night in the Union. Homecoming week is similar, and it takes place in the fall. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you are most likely cramming for a test or writing a paper, but on a Friday or Saturday, you are most likely out with friends. Lafayette has a very large variety of restaurants, most notably Cajun cuisine. There are also several movie theaters. Downtown Lafayette hosts many fine arts events. Once a month there is an art walk. There are many places to see local bands, and there is even a restaurant that hosts salsa dancing and several Cajun dancing venues.

hometown college with hometown people second rate academics students who like to party all the time

Robert

It is a rather friendly atmosphere, and there is lots to do around this little town. I would fire every single person affiliated with parking and transit office and completely revamp their system. There isn't a student here who does not absolutely hate them and their system. Our school is growing but is having trouble accomodating the growing numbers. It is a school not too many people from New Orleans (where I am from) think of often, but they know it's their and know a few people there. I am always working out or studying. I sometimes study in the library or in my room. That's about all my time on campus. It is a dry campus (no alcohol) which sucks. There are overly-strict rules about opposite gender visitors. It is a college town, but a little less-so as you move out away from the campus. Like I said, it is a very rapidly growing city. The administration is a bit of a pain to deal with at times. Particularly this goes for the housing department and the parking and transit department. There should be IQ restrictions for working in these big people-person departments. The biggest controversy is probably parking. Though, I often dislike the lack of nutritional value that is put into the cafeteria's food. There is some school pride. Though, we spend most of our time living under LSU's shadow. We are the only campus in the nation with a swamp in the middle of campus. I will always remember going around and writing goofy things on the sidewalk with chalk with my friends when I was a freshman. Most of the complaints are about the food, parking, and housing departments. In recent years, the school has been shutting down at 12:30 on Fridays, which is usually a big errand-running day for the student. Everyone absolutely hates this, except the faculty.

The football players are pretty rowdy and undisciplined. Most of them are black racist, selfish individuals. There are lots of economic-backgrounded people. Multiple religions. Unfortunately, as a die-hard conservative, I often feel out of place here. People who have experienced the world would feel out of place among young students who really don't know anything about life. Most students bum it except for first semester freshmen when going to class. There are nerds in there, then there are all the black people making noise and tossing food everywhere. Then there are all of the normal-to-half normal just trying to find a place to sit and eat our nasty ill-nutritioned food in peace. Most UL students are from all of the surrounding areas going 30 miles in any direction from Lafayette. There are a few from north Louisiana as well as New Orleans. Most are middle-classed. Students are very politically active, but not very politically aware. It's really funny to watch them. More often than not, they fall left to center. Earn what?

That pretty much covers everything.

There are a good portion of students who have lower self-esteem, but not nearly all of them. Lafayette is the fastest growing town in the state. UL is good bang for your buck as far as cost and education is concerned.

Yes, I sit up front and make myself known there and sometimes in their office. This has developed from years of practice on effective study habits and student-teacher relationships, too. My favorite class is a criminal justice class I have right now. I had a pretty good psychology class a few years ago as well. My major is math, but most of the math teachers are very smart but cannot teach to save their life. A good deal of reform is needed in this area. Unless students are in a study-intensive major, most find hobbies on the side to occupy their time, be in partying, fraternities, judo & exercise (like me), or other things. Students aren't too competitive. We help each other out more than we compete. The most unique class is probably judo. I've written already about the poor quality of teachers in the math department, despite how smart they may be. Some can teach. Doctor or not, I think they should all be required to pursue education degrees if they are planning on teaching undergraduate-level classes. I sometimes spend time in their office, particularly if it is a difficult class. Some academic areas have solid curriculums. Some majors, like mine, are too randomly thrown together without any thought put into making the degree well-rounded nor planned toward any kind of real solid education at all. Engineering and nursing degrees and such are job specific. So are the business majors, sort of. My degree really doesn't help me get any kind of job in math. I can't really choose an area of focus, and the course options are very limited.

Fraternities/sororities. Chi Alpha, a born-again Christian cult just about. I am in UL Judo. We just like hanging out together and the conditioning, grappling, balancing, and competitiveness that judo has to offer. My closest friends were all in the same suite living together our first semester. That was it pretty much. The rest were pretty scattered about and random. Sometimes they leave their door open, sometimes not. It is foolish, I have always locked mine. I am in bed by midnight or 1 unless I have work and get back at 3. Up late I am messing around online or doing the homework I put off while exercising. Every spring there is lagniappe week (I hope I spelled that right). There are canoe races in the swamp and all kinds of bizarre stuff. They'll sometimes shut down this one one-way street on campus and have all kinds of booths and trucks and stuff set up. People go out a lot, almost every night of the week. Frats are there, but not overbearing. Last weekend I went home to see my fiance in New Orleans. Saturday night, I am usually working watching people there get drunk or I am at drill or in New Orleans. Something to avoid homework. Off campus I am working, visiting friends, or out to get a beer maybe once a week.

That we are LSU rejects. That we are lower class since it is inexpensive to go to school here.

Mallory

The BEST thing about UL is by far its history and culture. The second u step foot on our campus, you are welcomed with open arms. The southern hospitality is all over UL's campus. We are the only campus in the U.S. with a swamp in the center of our campus to let students relax. Louisiana's cajun culture is entwined in every aspect of our University. My favorite thing about UL above anything is the interaction that happens between students. I have visited many colleges where students go to class, work, then home every day. Here at UL we have over 150 organizations so most students on our campus are involved and very connected among each other. It is impossible to attend UL and not feel at home. One thing I would change about UL is our recognition. We live in a state where our competing college is ranked #1 in football so it becomes very hard to compete with enrollment. Now a day students would rather be recognized for sports rankings rather than a great education. UL is the perfect size. I have traveled all over the nation going to conferences for UL and I always recieve the same response. People are alwayse amazed at our name... The Ragin' Cajuns. People alwayse ask me what its like to live in Louisiana. When I tell People from Louisiana where I go, im always given a positive response. Louisiana natives know how amazing our education is. I spend most of my time on campus in the Libary. We have the largest library in the state. The Edith Garlend Dupre library is very student friendly; equiped with 2 seperate computer labs available to all students including 50 free pages of printing everyday. We also have soundproof study rooms for students to reserve. The 3 floor building is open 24 hours a day during finals week. Its ALWAYS packed so its easy to find a friend to hang with. Lafayette is a HUGE college town. Everywhere you turn is UL Ragin'Cajun attire. Homecoming week is insane! ALL in all I could never imagine going anywhere else. One big plus is our week vacation for Mardi Gras'

If you are looking for a diverse college, UL is your number one choice. We have an enormous international student body. we also have over 11 different religous organizations. Students wear whatever they want to class, I have gone to class in pajamas many many times.Most students are from Louisiana, generally from the New Orleans and Lafayette area.

If you go to college anywhere in the U.S. there will be partying; Its college! UL students are just more experienced. UL has some of the top colleges in the Nation. Our Nursing,Engineering,Education, and Art are among the top 10 in the nation. Our faculty and staff consists of some of the greatest professors available.

Our administration is uncomparibly among the best in the nation because i have found if you are struggling in some of your classes and need help they have an open door policy for students to go in and get side help. Our way of classes is a very relaxed process. Most students i have classes with are very interactive. our professors beleive the best way to learn is to interact and feed off of our peers views and ideas. Its also very common to see classes being held outside. One of my classes in my Junior year was held in differant parts of Lafayette because my professor believed the best way to witness psychology was to experience life out of the class.

Our Greek life on campus is very dominant. Being in a sorority was one of my better decisions. Greeks are very involved among the commmunity as well as our athletics. Greeks support UL more than any organizations on campus. UPC and SGA are also big supporters in making UL the best it can be.

Our Univserities biggest stereotype is that we are a party school. It is extremely hard to ignore this description being that we are in Louisiana. Because we live in Louisiana, it is also said that our education is less than acceptable, which is far from true.

Alex

I love the diversity of the students here at ULL. I love the size of ULL. I would make physical changes to the campus such as rebuilding some of the oldre buildings, including Girard and Griffin Hall. Unfortunately, these are both huge tasks and it requires alot of time and money. I am happy to see that there are numerous renovations occurring on campus that will allow ULL's studetns to prosper. I mostly spend my time in class while on campus, but if there is time, I will hang out with some friends at PJ's or CC's. There is not enough school pride here at ULL, it can always be improved. University Program Council is working hard to increase school spirit and I feel they are finally seeing the result of their hard work. The biggest recent controversey on campus is that two of our students were killed because of domestic violence, less than two weeks apart. There were masses and candle light vigils held in their honor. The most frequent student complaints has to deal with the physical look of our campus. Whether it be the cracked sidewalk, the old and nasty bathrooms, or smelly classrooms, all are complaints often seen coming through the SGA senate.

I do not feel that this is accurate because there are some very bright students, as there is everywhere. For example, I could have attended LSU if I had wanted to but I chose ULL instead! This stereotype is partially true because although students do go out and have a good time, there are numerous students who stay home and study. Lafayette is an expanding town which offers many distractions to students, but I feel that just because Lafayette is an entertaining and fun town that its students are still very productive and well educated.

Yes, all of my professors know my name. My favorite class this semester is Communications 203 and my least favorite is dietetics 214. I study something everyday but most students cram the night before an exam. Class participation is fairly common, except in auditorium seating classes like my Microbiology class. The most unique class I have taken is Culture of FOod and Literature (HONR 385-7). I feel as if the nursing curriculum is geared more towards getting a job.

Some stereotypes I find are that the students that attend ULL are the students who could not get into LSU. ULL is a big party school.

Jamie

UL Lafayette is just the right size for the community. Lafayette is definitely a college town and there is much pride in and around campus!! Lafayette is also very "homie". I've met very many people who came to UL from out of town and never left.

I think UL is a very well-rounded college. White Americans are the majority but there is definitely a huge minority. I can't think of a student who would feel out of place. Most students dress very casual to class, almost too casual. Although the university is diverse I do notice that the different races usually stick together. I would say most UL students are either from Lafayette, or from small rural towns in Louisiana. We have many from Texas as well. We also have a very large Indian population. I would say there is no financial situation that is prevalent. There are students from rich or poor backgrounds and many students who are very independent paying for their schooling alone. I do not hear much about future salaries or much political talk.

We may party a lot but everyone that I know and has associated with still take their school work seriously.

In the College of Business many professors recognize me and know who I am. Most professors that I've had conversations with outside of class will usually remember you. My favorite class was a Management elective, Leadership, and was taught by a lecturer. This teacher had a career for 30 years in what I want to do. His classes were very inspirational for me. I would say most students study around 2 hours a night; depending on what semester you are in. There are a lot of teachers that will assist you as much as they can to get you a job in your future profession. I think there are many classes offered that will prepare you for future success.

Football and Basketball players are very well known. Fraternities and Sororities are also popular at UL. Although I am not in a sorority, the majority of my friends are in one. Most students who are involved in SGA are also involved in other activities and are usually recognized around campus. Football are a lot of fun for Tail-gating, even though most people don't make it into the actual game. Basketball and Baseball games also draw big crowds. There is a HUGE downtown scene. Most students go out every weekend to local bars and clubs. The bars are usually pretty slow on weeknights.

That we party too much and that it must not be a hard college.

Ryan

it is close-knit, affordable, and convenient for students. i would change the size and location of the entire campus; it is overcrowded. the school is big, but the space is too small. they say our athletic dept. sucks and we need better coaching staff and players and it is a pre-dominatedly white school. I spend a lot of time hanging out in the student union and in the dorm. Lafayette. The administration is okay, but some workers are not that helpful, racist, rude, and slow; others are nice, patient, and easy to talk to. Two UL black students died in Jan. and Feb.; there was not much support from our fellow student body besides other black students. It depends on if the team has been winning games for the school to have pride. The teacher/student ratio has not improved over the years, but instead has gotten worse and it's not fair to the students who need more student/teacher interaction for a better grade. In Nov. 2007, I became a new member of the best sorority in the world, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. food not always good, library hours are not long enough, dorm life is crappy, too many restrictions on a public university campus, no equal rights for students of all races, genders, religions, etc.

Sometimes, people look at me funny or dont expect to do well because i am black. black and international people. pajamas, sweats, or some people dress up really nice. mostly in the classroom if you are assigned to groups, but mainly NO! jocks, international students, popular blacks/whites, non-popular blacks/whites. half and half; U.S. and non-U.S. middle-class in prevalent. most are aware and some are active. not sure. some do.

i hope my opinion is valued, used, and appreciated by you.

for the most part, but it is also two competitive departments on our campus.

Yes. my Engl 102 class because my teacher fun and cool and so was the material. my least favorite has too many to mention. i study as much as i can with my busy schedule. for the most part. not that i know of. it depends on your major. none, I go strictly by the book. My major is Child and Family studies. I love it because it is not limited to one specific job. I have many opportunities. no. some like, nursing, are getting ridiculous! both and I'd rather know stuff for my job rather than the other crap.

greek life. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is based on sisterhood, scholarship, and service; we devote our free time to others in need and have fun doing it. no. only football and basketball matter to the students. it depends what they are speaking about. it depends on what is being showed. I dont date anymore. I met my closest friends in the dorm and in my sorority. studying, writing a paper, or helping a resident. Homecoming, Greek show, Greek round-up, greek-expo, black history progams, gospel choir extravaganza, etc. they party from Wed-Sat. every week. frats/soro. are VERRRRRRRRRRRRY important. I went to my sorority's conference in Baton Rouge. movie nights, skating rink, go shopping, play cards/board games, etc. i visit my family or go on mini-vacations with friends.

some teachers are sexist and/or racist, especially in the nursing dept. and biology dept.

Amber

The best thing about UL Lafayette definitely has to be the hospitality around campus! As you walk from class to class you can't keep track of the number of students who smile at you, most of them who you have never seen and never will see again. Changing something at UL? What's to change? Well.. maybe a few things. The parking on campus is a little scarce but I think the university is doing everything they can to fix the problem (we are in the mist of getting a new parking garage on campus!) ULL is a big campus but I think that is what makes it so fun. The diversity around campus is amazing. The reaction I get when I tell people I go to Lafayette, as a nursing major, is "Wow, isn't it hard?!" My answer.. 100% yes! ULL's nursing cirriculum is definitely a tough one but I have no doubt that I will be fully prepared for the real life of a RN when I graduate. Most of my campus time is spent in lab practicing.. but on occasion when I can slip away I love to eat the awesome SUSHI at PJ's located on campus. DEINITELY a college town! There is so many places for "college kids" to hang out and have a fun time. Possibly one of the best college towns actually! The administration on campus is terrific! All of my teachers have an open door policy and will talk to you about anything, school related or not. Most teachers give our their cell phone numbers so you can contact them at any time. One nursing instructor even told us to text her if ever we needed anything - we did and she even responded! School pride is #1. Although we may not have the best football team around, the students are always dressed up and ready to root them on at the games. Tailgaiting is a must if you are ever around for a Ragin Cajun football game. The swamp is VERY unusual! We even have locations to by fish food to feed the fish! It is very relaxing to sit and study by the swamp.

I don't think anyone would feel left out on UL's campus. We have such a diversity at UL that no one is alone. In fact, we are about to have International Week to recognize the international students on campus. It will be comprised of games, food, and much more! Most students wear just jeans or shorts and t-shirts. Although, on any given day, don't be surprised to see student still in their pj's - also don't be surprised to see some people in nice dresses and heels.

I don't know if you can call it a "stereotype" because I believe all of these things to be 100% true! UL Lafayette and it's students are AMAZING!

My professors defintely know their students' names. My favorite class.. hmm.. besides nursing I'd have to say Sociology. Ms. Darlington, a total trip! Class is not mandatory, yet I have found my self attending regulary just to hear her crazy stories! In nursing, students are very competitive. To get into clinical rotations, there are only around 110 students accepted - top GPAs get in first. It makes the students work hard. The most unique class. Probably English 206. Just last week, my teacher came to class in a motorized wheel chair and backed up into the chalk board - priceless! My major is obviously nursing! My life is comprised of studying and "thinking like a nurse" as the teachers say. I talk to many of my professors outside of class. Yesterday I was talking to one of them about Flavor Flav, haha! Nursing at UL Lafayette is geared toward getting a BSN. Their mail goal is to have us prepared and ready once we graduate. I recommend this major to anyone who is caring of others and willing to work hard!

The most popular groups are probably the fraternities and sororities. We always see chalk around campus promoting different groups. I am involved in many different groups. One being the Student Government Association where I represent the voice of 400 students in Nursing. Another amazing club is Up Til Dawn where we throw events to raise money for the children at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. At 2 am on Tuesday most people are probably just leaving from a fun night out. Me on the other hand, I'm probably last minute studying for a test Wednesday morning! Every year we have Lagniappe Week. This includes a different activity everyday ranging from a crawfish boil for the students to the famous swamp jump. We also have canoe races in the swamp which everyone should experiece!!

I believe UL Lafayette is stereotyped as a fun school where there is constantly fun activities being put on by different groups and plenty of things to do on the weekend. UL Lafayette also gets a lot of talk because of our amazing swamp, complete with fish, turtles, and even alligators! The students are stereotyped as fun and willing to get to know and help everyone!

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.