Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Alex

I love the diversity of the students here at ULL. I love the size of ULL. I would make physical changes to the campus such as rebuilding some of the oldre buildings, including Girard and Griffin Hall. Unfortunately, these are both huge tasks and it requires alot of time and money. I am happy to see that there are numerous renovations occurring on campus that will allow ULL's studetns to prosper. I mostly spend my time in class while on campus, but if there is time, I will hang out with some friends at PJ's or CC's. There is not enough school pride here at ULL, it can always be improved. University Program Council is working hard to increase school spirit and I feel they are finally seeing the result of their hard work. The biggest recent controversey on campus is that two of our students were killed because of domestic violence, less than two weeks apart. There were masses and candle light vigils held in their honor. The most frequent student complaints has to deal with the physical look of our campus. Whether it be the cracked sidewalk, the old and nasty bathrooms, or smelly classrooms, all are complaints often seen coming through the SGA senate.

I do not feel that this is accurate because there are some very bright students, as there is everywhere. For example, I could have attended LSU if I had wanted to but I chose ULL instead! This stereotype is partially true because although students do go out and have a good time, there are numerous students who stay home and study. Lafayette is an expanding town which offers many distractions to students, but I feel that just because Lafayette is an entertaining and fun town that its students are still very productive and well educated.

Yes, all of my professors know my name. My favorite class this semester is Communications 203 and my least favorite is dietetics 214. I study something everyday but most students cram the night before an exam. Class participation is fairly common, except in auditorium seating classes like my Microbiology class. The most unique class I have taken is Culture of FOod and Literature (HONR 385-7). I feel as if the nursing curriculum is geared more towards getting a job.

Some stereotypes I find are that the students that attend ULL are the students who could not get into LSU. ULL is a big party school.

Jamie

UL Lafayette is just the right size for the community. Lafayette is definitely a college town and there is much pride in and around campus!! Lafayette is also very "homie". I've met very many people who came to UL from out of town and never left.

I think UL is a very well-rounded college. White Americans are the majority but there is definitely a huge minority. I can't think of a student who would feel out of place. Most students dress very casual to class, almost too casual. Although the university is diverse I do notice that the different races usually stick together. I would say most UL students are either from Lafayette, or from small rural towns in Louisiana. We have many from Texas as well. We also have a very large Indian population. I would say there is no financial situation that is prevalent. There are students from rich or poor backgrounds and many students who are very independent paying for their schooling alone. I do not hear much about future salaries or much political talk.

We may party a lot but everyone that I know and has associated with still take their school work seriously.

In the College of Business many professors recognize me and know who I am. Most professors that I've had conversations with outside of class will usually remember you. My favorite class was a Management elective, Leadership, and was taught by a lecturer. This teacher had a career for 30 years in what I want to do. His classes were very inspirational for me. I would say most students study around 2 hours a night; depending on what semester you are in. There are a lot of teachers that will assist you as much as they can to get you a job in your future profession. I think there are many classes offered that will prepare you for future success.

Football and Basketball players are very well known. Fraternities and Sororities are also popular at UL. Although I am not in a sorority, the majority of my friends are in one. Most students who are involved in SGA are also involved in other activities and are usually recognized around campus. Football are a lot of fun for Tail-gating, even though most people don't make it into the actual game. Basketball and Baseball games also draw big crowds. There is a HUGE downtown scene. Most students go out every weekend to local bars and clubs. The bars are usually pretty slow on weeknights.

That we party too much and that it must not be a hard college.

Ryan

it is close-knit, affordable, and convenient for students. i would change the size and location of the entire campus; it is overcrowded. the school is big, but the space is too small. they say our athletic dept. sucks and we need better coaching staff and players and it is a pre-dominatedly white school. I spend a lot of time hanging out in the student union and in the dorm. Lafayette. The administration is okay, but some workers are not that helpful, racist, rude, and slow; others are nice, patient, and easy to talk to. Two UL black students died in Jan. and Feb.; there was not much support from our fellow student body besides other black students. It depends on if the team has been winning games for the school to have pride. The teacher/student ratio has not improved over the years, but instead has gotten worse and it's not fair to the students who need more student/teacher interaction for a better grade. In Nov. 2007, I became a new member of the best sorority in the world, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. food not always good, library hours are not long enough, dorm life is crappy, too many restrictions on a public university campus, no equal rights for students of all races, genders, religions, etc.

Sometimes, people look at me funny or dont expect to do well because i am black. black and international people. pajamas, sweats, or some people dress up really nice. mostly in the classroom if you are assigned to groups, but mainly NO! jocks, international students, popular blacks/whites, non-popular blacks/whites. half and half; U.S. and non-U.S. middle-class in prevalent. most are aware and some are active. not sure. some do.

i hope my opinion is valued, used, and appreciated by you.

for the most part, but it is also two competitive departments on our campus.

Yes. my Engl 102 class because my teacher fun and cool and so was the material. my least favorite has too many to mention. i study as much as i can with my busy schedule. for the most part. not that i know of. it depends on your major. none, I go strictly by the book. My major is Child and Family studies. I love it because it is not limited to one specific job. I have many opportunities. no. some like, nursing, are getting ridiculous! both and I'd rather know stuff for my job rather than the other crap.

greek life. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is based on sisterhood, scholarship, and service; we devote our free time to others in need and have fun doing it. no. only football and basketball matter to the students. it depends what they are speaking about. it depends on what is being showed. I dont date anymore. I met my closest friends in the dorm and in my sorority. studying, writing a paper, or helping a resident. Homecoming, Greek show, Greek round-up, greek-expo, black history progams, gospel choir extravaganza, etc. they party from Wed-Sat. every week. frats/soro. are VERRRRRRRRRRRRY important. I went to my sorority's conference in Baton Rouge. movie nights, skating rink, go shopping, play cards/board games, etc. i visit my family or go on mini-vacations with friends.

some teachers are sexist and/or racist, especially in the nursing dept. and biology dept.

Amber

The best thing about UL Lafayette definitely has to be the hospitality around campus! As you walk from class to class you can't keep track of the number of students who smile at you, most of them who you have never seen and never will see again. Changing something at UL? What's to change? Well.. maybe a few things. The parking on campus is a little scarce but I think the university is doing everything they can to fix the problem (we are in the mist of getting a new parking garage on campus!) ULL is a big campus but I think that is what makes it so fun. The diversity around campus is amazing. The reaction I get when I tell people I go to Lafayette, as a nursing major, is "Wow, isn't it hard?!" My answer.. 100% yes! ULL's nursing cirriculum is definitely a tough one but I have no doubt that I will be fully prepared for the real life of a RN when I graduate. Most of my campus time is spent in lab practicing.. but on occasion when I can slip away I love to eat the awesome SUSHI at PJ's located on campus. DEINITELY a college town! There is so many places for "college kids" to hang out and have a fun time. Possibly one of the best college towns actually! The administration on campus is terrific! All of my teachers have an open door policy and will talk to you about anything, school related or not. Most teachers give our their cell phone numbers so you can contact them at any time. One nursing instructor even told us to text her if ever we needed anything - we did and she even responded! School pride is #1. Although we may not have the best football team around, the students are always dressed up and ready to root them on at the games. Tailgaiting is a must if you are ever around for a Ragin Cajun football game. The swamp is VERY unusual! We even have locations to by fish food to feed the fish! It is very relaxing to sit and study by the swamp.

I don't think anyone would feel left out on UL's campus. We have such a diversity at UL that no one is alone. In fact, we are about to have International Week to recognize the international students on campus. It will be comprised of games, food, and much more! Most students wear just jeans or shorts and t-shirts. Although, on any given day, don't be surprised to see student still in their pj's - also don't be surprised to see some people in nice dresses and heels.

I don't know if you can call it a "stereotype" because I believe all of these things to be 100% true! UL Lafayette and it's students are AMAZING!

My professors defintely know their students' names. My favorite class.. hmm.. besides nursing I'd have to say Sociology. Ms. Darlington, a total trip! Class is not mandatory, yet I have found my self attending regulary just to hear her crazy stories! In nursing, students are very competitive. To get into clinical rotations, there are only around 110 students accepted - top GPAs get in first. It makes the students work hard. The most unique class. Probably English 206. Just last week, my teacher came to class in a motorized wheel chair and backed up into the chalk board - priceless! My major is obviously nursing! My life is comprised of studying and "thinking like a nurse" as the teachers say. I talk to many of my professors outside of class. Yesterday I was talking to one of them about Flavor Flav, haha! Nursing at UL Lafayette is geared toward getting a BSN. Their mail goal is to have us prepared and ready once we graduate. I recommend this major to anyone who is caring of others and willing to work hard!

The most popular groups are probably the fraternities and sororities. We always see chalk around campus promoting different groups. I am involved in many different groups. One being the Student Government Association where I represent the voice of 400 students in Nursing. Another amazing club is Up Til Dawn where we throw events to raise money for the children at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. At 2 am on Tuesday most people are probably just leaving from a fun night out. Me on the other hand, I'm probably last minute studying for a test Wednesday morning! Every year we have Lagniappe Week. This includes a different activity everyday ranging from a crawfish boil for the students to the famous swamp jump. We also have canoe races in the swamp which everyone should experiece!!

I believe UL Lafayette is stereotyped as a fun school where there is constantly fun activities being put on by different groups and plenty of things to do on the weekend. UL Lafayette also gets a lot of talk because of our amazing swamp, complete with fish, turtles, and even alligators! The students are stereotyped as fun and willing to get to know and help everyone!

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.