Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

London

The professors at my school are phenomenal. I love each class for the mere fact that I get to engage and meet a new professor. Each one has their own unique way of teaching and I have not met a single professor yet who hasn't tried to push me to do more than I thought possible. Then, the reward of having done well on an assignment and the knowledge that the professsor was able to watch you grow and aid in that situation is amazing.

The worst thing associated with the University of Portland is also the best think about the school and this is the size. While it is great to have small classroom sizes and actually be able to engage with the Professors, it can also feel like high school because basically everyone knows everyone. Whatever you do is quickly spread throughout the student body and before you know it, others know "information" about you before you even know said information. Sometimes the size can be a hinderance.

As a high school senior I would tell myself not to stress so much about moving and going off to college. Essentially, what is meant to be will be as cliche as that sounds. In high school, I was always stressed about having the perfect GPA and never making a mistake but the truth of the matter is mistakes are a key part of life. Yes, I made mistakes my freshman year, I didn't have a perfect GPA, and I skipped a couple classes when I shouldn't have. But that's what is so great about college. People here understand that each student is transitioning in their lives and trying to discover who he or she is. I would tell my high school self to realize that the person I knew then will not be the end result of who I am to become because high school is just the beginning and when it really comes down to it, high school is a very small stage in the rest of your life. The sooner you can be true to yourself, the sooner you will be well of and actually enjoying your life. Just be happy.

Alexis

Someone who doesn't care about school and connecting with others. If you don't like small classes don't come here either

I love the academics, personal focus, school spirit and study abroad opportunities. It's a great school!

Bianca

The University of Portland is a incredibly fun, culturally and ethnically diversed, academiclly challenging college where the students are able to grow as an individual and become an adult, all while reciving an amazing education and having fun through all the activities the Univeristy provides, and also making friends that will last a lifetime.

The best thing about the University of Portland is the quality education a student can recieve. The teachers are incredible because they offer their help to all students and are always available by email and they offer a lot of office hours. The small class sizes make for a better learning envirnoment because it is easier to have a relationship between the student and teacher, rather than being in a class of 100 students. The education recieved here is one of the best, and one could see that just by sitting in one class.

Now having finished my freshman year of college, the advice I would give my high school senior self would be: Be confident. Confidence is such a key assest in growing up and becoming your best self. I have gained so much confidence this past year during freshman year of college and I have never been so happy with myself and life. Confidence is what pushes you to go beyond your comfort level. It allows you to be social and therefore meet some of the most amazing people in your life thus far. It allows you to become a part of so many amazing experiences. Confidence has given me the ability to start this new amazing journey in life, something my old self in high school never would have dreamed of. Going into a whole new place and being the "little freshman" again was not the easiest thing, but confidence made the transition so much easier and worth while. To my high school senior self: We all have our insecurities. Rise above and show the world what you can do. Be confident.

Melissa

A tight-knit community where one will find outgoing, upbeat, and enthusiastic students and faculty that encourage all to become involved on and off campus, particularly with community service.

Limit yourself to only becoming involved in two or three extra curricular activities. No matter what anyone else tells you, you can reach your dreams and goals. Just work hard, stay focused, and continue to self-motivate yourself. You will get there with the help of friends, employers, and faculty members. As you prepare for this transition, be open to new ideas and ways of life. You have been living in a confined bubble for so long, that it may be difficult to adjust, but persevere past the first couple of months and I guarantee it is worth it. You will make life-long friends as long as you put yourself out there and do the things you enjoy doing. Keep going and stay strong- you have got this!

I wish I had known and remembered that I would need school supplies! Sounds silly, but it completely slipped my mind as I prepared for college... I didn't even have a backpack. Luckily a friend let me borrow hers, but just remember--you are going to college and still need basic school supplies in order to succeed!

Johanna

My classmates are outgoing, lively, introspective, intelligent, laidback, engaging and determined. They put others views into perspective and strive to be the best they can be, without giving up their freetime to be the youths they are. A day with them, is like flipping through a traveling magazine, your excited to be with them, and they with you.

DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF! Stop focusing on everyone else, stop thinking about it. Have a little faith, things have a funny way of working out when you least expect it. Just because you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel does not mean you won't get there. I know things look dark and scary from where you're standing, but you're a fighter, a believer and that's what makes you special. Believe in yourself, believe in your family, believe that whatever you set your mind to you can and will accomplish. Put into practice every single advice you've gotten and for the love of everything...don't stop believing.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who loves to learn, and is respectful of others. A person who does not judge based on color, economic status, nor manner of expression. Portland is liberal, enjoy and learn from others everything you can. Imposing yourself will only get you disliked by many. Open and welcoming to new experiences and possibilities is the mindset that an individual attending this school should have.

My classmates come from all sorts of varied backgrounds and cultures, and most are friendly and determined to succeed. There are students from every socioeconomic class and religious background. This variety allows classrooms to be an open place for students to express themeselves and provide different opinions on various issues or topics. Class sizes are small, so it is easy to form close relationships with classmates. Study groups can often transition from classroom topics to social justice issues, and students are usually willing to have an open mind. In class relationships extend past the walls of the classroom.

University of Portland is respected in both the Portland community and in the business world. What makes this school so special, however, is its ability to mold its students from inexperienced high school graduates to well-rounded, open-minded, and world-conscious graduates. The professors and administrators work one-on-one with students, forming special and long-lasting relationships that extend past college life. University of Portland is an amazing school with a great reputation, but what makes it special are its effects on its students, and the relationships that are formed on, and off-campus.

During high school, academic success was what gave me self-worth. I based my personal value upon the grades I received. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to have an open mind, to from closer relationships, and to involve myself in more school activities. I would tell myself to enjoy any experience, because the time between freshman and senior year moves quickly, and before you realize it, you'll be heading off to college. High school is the place for forming one's own personal identity, and discovering who you are. Unfortunutely my determination for academic success blinded me from discovering what I wanted from life. I entered college not knowing what I wanted to do as an adult; I had not yet discovered my passion for history or language. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to get involved in more outside activities, and to place more value in relationships and experiences than in a classroom grade. A grade is only a letter, but an experience is a memory that will affect someone's life and beliefs, which today matter the most to me.

Isabelle

I feel like there are many different aspects about the University of Portland that makes it unique compared to the other schools that I considered. The size of the University is very comfortable for me, keeping in mind that I came from a public school with 90 kids in it. Secondly, I find the University of Portland to be unique because the mission statement and goals of the university are very community oriented and I value that greatly. Lastly, I feel that the University of Portland is unique because of the people who attend.

Reflecting on my first year of college and all the ups and downs in between, I can proudly say that I have gained a good grip on the lady which I am today. If I was given the opportunity to go back in time and see myself as a high school senior, there would be so many thoughts, ideas, and words of advice running through my mind. Senior year was such a stressful time due to college applications and staying on top of school work, making sure that I would graduate, so I think the biggest piece of advice I could give myself wouldn't really be advice, but reassurance that I can do it. Throughout my first year of college, I remained clear headed and positive about my learning abilities, and I feel that that greatly contributed to my success. If I had done that in high school, I feel like the stressors of senior year (college applications, SAT/ACT, gradaution) would of been greatly suppressed, and I would of had a better grip on the end of my senior year.

Considering that I am enrolled in the University of Portland's School of Nursing, that is one of the first things I brag about most. It has truly been a blessing to have been accepted and enrolled into the School of Nursing, and I want others around me to know how well known the program is. Another aspect that I love to brag about is the location of the school. I have totally fallen in love with the city of Portland, and being in an awesome location has contributed to my love for Portland.

Kyla

Sadly, this school has limited diversity when it comes to race/ethnicity. A common complaint among the students is the lack of diversity at the university. It is working on increasing the diversity of the student population but the majority of the students are middle class Caucasian individuals. If a potential student is looking for a school where they are exposed to a variety of people, I would not suggest this school. However if a potential student wants to help increase the diversity by attending the university, I would highly recommend it as the school wants to increase its diversity.

I have changed greatly during my time in college and I have learned so much about myself. From this, the most important advice I could give my high school self is to focus on herself. The hardest thing I had to learn was to stop caring about other people’s opinions of me. It is something that people, especially impressionable young women, give so much attention to that they forget to be true to themselves. Trying to fit in will dictate how you act and behave in life. College is a time where you have the freedom to form and develop your own opinions, thoughts, friends, and all other facets of yourself. Do not let it be tainted by the wish to appeal to your peers, most of which you will never interact with again after college. How they feel about you now will not change your future or your happiness if you do not let it. You are the only one who can make yourself happy and to do that you need to be your own person. Enjoy all that college has to offer so that one day you can look back and know you chose your happiness.

I wish I had known how difficult and financially stressful choosing a private college could be. I am so thankful to attend this university and appreciate the financial package I was awarded, but I wish I would have paid more attention to the details and understood how loans worked. I feel if I had known earlier I could have made a more knowledgeable choice and planned accordingly. Learning how the financial game is played would have been beneficial earlier in my college career.

The University of Portland is best known for it's Women's Soccer team, which has produced several Olympic athletes. The emphasis of the team and supporting the team are incredibly important to the University of Portland. The games bring people together and there is quite a body of fans that come to every game. We are also known for our Nursuing and Engineering programs. Both programs are competitive, and only a select number of students are admitted into the Nursing program.

I would try to emphasis to myself that life is full of moments in which it feels impossible to overcome your circumstances, but despite that, it is always possible to keep moving forward and to change your life if you are willing to make decisions that you might not be comfortable with. As a college sophomore, I have now lived in two different countries and also made friends that really appreciate me for who I am, but as a high school student, I always felt so alone even when I was with my friends. I would tell myself not to give up on finding people who truly love you for who you are. The most important thing I would stress to myself would be to think about the political, religious and artistic aspects of my schooling. I was unaware of how much of an impact those three things would have on my satisfaction with a school. I chose UP, because of the location, class sizes and professors; however, I wish I had been more invested in asking about other aspects as well as looking at other schools.

Honestly, an individual that is incredibly artsy or interested in more artistic endeavors probably would not fit in as well. There are artsy individuals, and there is an appreciation, but it is not as artistic as it could be. The students tend to be more medical or science based in their interests. I would also suggest that if a person identifies as anything other than Catholic or Christian, that he or she should ask questions regarding the required religious classes before deciding to attend.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.