Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Isabelle

I feel like there are many different aspects about the University of Portland that makes it unique compared to the other schools that I considered. The size of the University is very comfortable for me, keeping in mind that I came from a public school with 90 kids in it. Secondly, I find the University of Portland to be unique because the mission statement and goals of the university are very community oriented and I value that greatly. Lastly, I feel that the University of Portland is unique because of the people who attend.

Reflecting on my first year of college and all the ups and downs in between, I can proudly say that I have gained a good grip on the lady which I am today. If I was given the opportunity to go back in time and see myself as a high school senior, there would be so many thoughts, ideas, and words of advice running through my mind. Senior year was such a stressful time due to college applications and staying on top of school work, making sure that I would graduate, so I think the biggest piece of advice I could give myself wouldn't really be advice, but reassurance that I can do it. Throughout my first year of college, I remained clear headed and positive about my learning abilities, and I feel that that greatly contributed to my success. If I had done that in high school, I feel like the stressors of senior year (college applications, SAT/ACT, gradaution) would of been greatly suppressed, and I would of had a better grip on the end of my senior year.

Considering that I am enrolled in the University of Portland's School of Nursing, that is one of the first things I brag about most. It has truly been a blessing to have been accepted and enrolled into the School of Nursing, and I want others around me to know how well known the program is. Another aspect that I love to brag about is the location of the school. I have totally fallen in love with the city of Portland, and being in an awesome location has contributed to my love for Portland.

Kyla

Sadly, this school has limited diversity when it comes to race/ethnicity. A common complaint among the students is the lack of diversity at the university. It is working on increasing the diversity of the student population but the majority of the students are middle class Caucasian individuals. If a potential student is looking for a school where they are exposed to a variety of people, I would not suggest this school. However if a potential student wants to help increase the diversity by attending the university, I would highly recommend it as the school wants to increase its diversity.

I have changed greatly during my time in college and I have learned so much about myself. From this, the most important advice I could give my high school self is to focus on herself. The hardest thing I had to learn was to stop caring about other people’s opinions of me. It is something that people, especially impressionable young women, give so much attention to that they forget to be true to themselves. Trying to fit in will dictate how you act and behave in life. College is a time where you have the freedom to form and develop your own opinions, thoughts, friends, and all other facets of yourself. Do not let it be tainted by the wish to appeal to your peers, most of which you will never interact with again after college. How they feel about you now will not change your future or your happiness if you do not let it. You are the only one who can make yourself happy and to do that you need to be your own person. Enjoy all that college has to offer so that one day you can look back and know you chose your happiness.

I wish I had known how difficult and financially stressful choosing a private college could be. I am so thankful to attend this university and appreciate the financial package I was awarded, but I wish I would have paid more attention to the details and understood how loans worked. I feel if I had known earlier I could have made a more knowledgeable choice and planned accordingly. Learning how the financial game is played would have been beneficial earlier in my college career.

The University of Portland is best known for it's Women's Soccer team, which has produced several Olympic athletes. The emphasis of the team and supporting the team are incredibly important to the University of Portland. The games bring people together and there is quite a body of fans that come to every game. We are also known for our Nursuing and Engineering programs. Both programs are competitive, and only a select number of students are admitted into the Nursing program.

I would try to emphasis to myself that life is full of moments in which it feels impossible to overcome your circumstances, but despite that, it is always possible to keep moving forward and to change your life if you are willing to make decisions that you might not be comfortable with. As a college sophomore, I have now lived in two different countries and also made friends that really appreciate me for who I am, but as a high school student, I always felt so alone even when I was with my friends. I would tell myself not to give up on finding people who truly love you for who you are. The most important thing I would stress to myself would be to think about the political, religious and artistic aspects of my schooling. I was unaware of how much of an impact those three things would have on my satisfaction with a school. I chose UP, because of the location, class sizes and professors; however, I wish I had been more invested in asking about other aspects as well as looking at other schools.

Honestly, an individual that is incredibly artsy or interested in more artistic endeavors probably would not fit in as well. There are artsy individuals, and there is an appreciation, but it is not as artistic as it could be. The students tend to be more medical or science based in their interests. I would also suggest that if a person identifies as anything other than Catholic or Christian, that he or she should ask questions regarding the required religious classes before deciding to attend.

Richelle

University of Portland is a school where students truly come to learn and get an education not only in the classroom, but also in real life as the faculty encourages the students to move beyond their textbooks and learn from the world from downtown Portland to rural towns in Kenya; in sum, this school is populated with students and faculty that are committed to learning, exploring their curiosity, opening themselves to the world surrounding them, and applying their gained knowledge through academia to life.

The rigor that my classmates approach both their academic and social lives come in many different flavors; for example, some have their heads down in the books their entire four years, some are incredibly outgoing and maybe do not pay enough attention on their schoolwork, but the people I like to surround myself with are those that are shockingly vivacious in their studies and their interpersonal relationships.

Say yes to everything. Coming into college, you are greeted with a multitude of opportunities to join clubs and teams, you are encouraged to take classes a bit out of the norm, and to do things out of your social comfort zone. Say yes, get involved, and be safe. Oftentimes, people can feel trapped in a school as small as University of Portland. You see the same people in the same part of the library, you take the same classes with the same people, and you eat the same lunch with the same people. Getting involved in a variety of activities can help you expand your horizons socially and academically at the same time. I have learned over the past three years that some of your greatest ideas can come from conversation with just the right person. In fact, you can do your greatest learning through interaction, which not only strengthens your relationship, but it also reinforces your ideas and your growth as a person. You will never know when these key people are going to pop up, so you might as well engage everyone you can merely by saying “yes.”

Nicolas

The University of Portland is probably best known for it's womens soccer program. We have one of the best womens soccer teams in the country and our graduates have been a staple of the womens national team for years (Megan Rapinoe, Stephanie Cox, ect.) and the school comes out in full support for the team. We have topped womens collegiate soccer attendance records for multiple straight years, and our dedicated fans make Merlo Field a great soccer environment and a very difficult place for the opposition to play.

I would tell myself to be more active in trying to meet people in the beginning of school. In the beginning of college you are surrounded by thousands of people who don't know anyone either. This makes it much easier to get to know people at the beggining of the year because they have not yet formed their friend groups. Unfortunatly I spent much of my time in the beginning of the year in my dorm skyping with friends back home, and as a result when I finally did form a friend group at the school it was mostly restricted to just people who lived in my dorm. Eqquiped with this information I will be more open towards the incoming freshmen to help expand my friend group.

The University of Portland is ideal for people who are considering schools with smaller class sizes. Class sizes tend to be between 25-35 people and it gives you a chance to make personal relationships with professors to make sure you get the help you need. While the University of fairly small in terms of enrollment (around 4,000), it's location, only a 20 or so minute bus ride from the heart of Portland means that you will always be able to find things to do.

Kristin

What makes UP unique would be the people one would meet on campus. The campus is a close-knit community and everyone is treated with respect. The staff are friendly and the faculty considers the student's perspective and make it a point to know each individual as a person. Ultimately, this religiously affiliated privately-owned college, is open to new ideas as well as respects and accepts individuals for who they are. Attending UP makes one feel like they're apart of a new family whether they live close by or miles away, theres always a resource available.

A negative aspect of the university is the pressure to succeed. Just like any family, a parent would only want the best for his/her child and a child's only wish is to make his/her parent(s) proud. At this university, there is a strong emphasis on good grades making successful people. This puts students in a highly stressful situation which potentially sacrifices the student's overall health for the sake of his/her grade. Overall, implying that failing in college translates to failing in life, is an unhealthy mindset that the university often instills in its students.

As a sophomore in college, I would tell my high school self to enjoy every moment of college; to be emotionally and physically present everyday. I would say to embrace your experiences because the next four years are going to change you whether you're ready or not. She has to know that at this point, she’d have to be more independent, completely mindful of herself, and understand her own physical and mental health. Furthermore, I would say to her that academics are important, but they’re not everything. My high school self has to know that failing is a crucial part of life. Lastly, everyone has their own experiences and she doesn't have to follow anyone else’s path. She doesn’t have to be who some else tells her to be, but be able to embrace that fact that she is a unique person who has something to offer the world if she just puts her mind to it. Ultimately, the only person that gets in the way of her dreams is herself: she is her own true enemy. She can get to where she wants to be if she only lets herself experience things.

Sean

As I said already, I would tell my self to be more organized.The only other thing that I would tell myself is to use the resources that were made available to me more efficiently. This would allow me to achieve higher marks in my classes, and I would have an even better understanding of the subject material that I had studied.

Before attending the University of Portland I wish that I had known better organizational tactics. Being organized is one of the most important things one can do to be successful in any university.

Lillian

My school is a place with the capacity for us to grow in life and in our self-image, here, we can find individuality and push ourselves to our utmost potential.

Definitely the campus and its class size. The classroom environment is none like others. Teachers remember your name, they say hi to you. The campus is not scattered but in one place, which makes it convinient to get to classes. Also, the people here are all very friendly and unique. They all portray individuality and integrity. The student body is very diverse. There are people who come from all over the world, which is why everyone stick together and help each other whenever they misses home. My school is none like others, we are all family to one another.

Jessie

One of the stereotypes I have noticed while at UP is that outsiders think we are wealthy white kids. I do not think this is completely accurate because almost every student is on some sort of financial aid whether it is coming from the University, outside loans, or private scholarships. Although many students are Caucasian, you will find differences in religious background, political views, and sexual orientation. One stereotype that does hold up is that UP students are smart, caring, and dedicated to what they do.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.