Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Andrew

The University of Portland is a great place for young people to receive an education and prepare themselves for a world run by money and technology, however, if one does not affiliate with the catholic church, has little to offer in terms of personal and spiritual growth and critical thinking skills.

Honestly, the food. I love nutritious, delicious food and while I was in the process of researching universies, the food options really stood out to me. Large posters are draped across the Commons with pictures of fruits and vegetables and signs reading fresh, local, organic, food but once I started working at the school cafeteria, I discovered that these advertisements were not so accurate. Not only does the food lack the healthy quality I desire, they also lack in selection. All too often I find myself in the cafeteria staring at the menus wishing for more healthier options.

Always be confident in yourself. Never change who you are or deny what you believe as the result of peer pressure or a stressful situation. Know yourself. Instead of trying to fit in with the cool kids, develop yourself and your own interests, because you'll soon find out that the cool kids are actually pretty boring. Don't be ashamed of your past, instead, learn from your mistakes and your successes. What you do in this very moment determines what happens in the next. Always be in a state of growth and development. Be reflective and mindful of your current situation in order to discover the path to better circumstances in the future. Friends will come and go and fun times will be had but don't let these factors influence the amount of time you spend on your main priority: recieving an education and ultimately a degree. With this in mind, spend time doing activites that relieve stress, not create it. If this means playing an instrument or spending time with friends, then so be it, but balance everything with the idea that school is the main priority. Decide your priorities, stick to them and balance them out.

Alex

Something I wish I would've known was to not buy textbooks before the first day of classes. A couple of the books that were purchased ended up not being used so it was a waste of money when the money could've been used toward tuition.

I would tell myself to take IB tests. Not testing in IB is one of my biggest regrets. Had I tested I wouldn't have to take any of my core classes. My math, history, and english credits would all be waived and I would've been able to start upper-division nursing as a sophomore rather than a junior. The good thing about not testing in IB though is that I can use my prior knowledge in those subjects to boost my GPA. Something else I would've told myself was to focus on studying more and getting better grades to fully prepare myself for the amount of studying college would entail. Also, I would've told myself to apply for more scholarships and jobs to get more money because there are many unexpected expenses.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that a couple classes are a lot harder than I was expecting. Theology is a require class and it is something I have little background on so I find it hard to keep up with what the professor is saying. There are many quizzes and readings that are required. The professor also assigned extra books to buy at the end of the semester so that was frustrating because it was required to spend a ton more money in order to do well on one quiz.

Triona

The University of Portland is well known for their commitment to the development of the whole person. The university is not only focused on education and career preparation, but also making sure students are healthy, happy, and well adjusted. Students at UP learn how to serve lovingly, lead justly, and to never stop learning.

When I came to college, I thought I had all the basic skills I needed. I had good study skills, I could balance a checkbook, and I knew how to do my own laundry. While these things are all very important, there are a few other items, although not often thought of, that would have been very helpful. The first is get a bike and know how to use it. Like most freshman, I did not get to have a car on campus, so it was either walk or bike. Sadly, I did not have a bike my freshman year, and it meant a lot of walking to and from the grocery store. The second is know how to use email. It's not that hard, and your profesors will love you. The third is to plan time for yourself. College is difficult, and it's easy to let stress get the best of you. Plan time to excersice, read, and spend time with friends. Excercise and proper sleep will make you healthier and happier. Also, make sure your friends know that they are a priority to you, they will save you when things get rough.

There is very little support for athletics. UP does not have a football team, which is what most colleges are known for by sports fans, so most students as well as the community around campus are not interested in sports. This affects school spirit because it eliminates the large gathering of students cheering for their classmates.

Ivy

University of Portland is home to squirrels, birkenstocks, and some of the kindest people you will ever meet. In the short time that I've been herre, I have made better friends than I ever did in high school. The focus is not on partying as seems to be the case with other universities in the area. Instead UP offers a variety of different activities that allow students to enjoy themselves without risking arrest.

I wish I had understood exactly what "Catholic University" entailed. I was unaware of the manner in which Catholic morals would be imposed upon the students. I had assumed that with only 30% of the students identifying as Catholic, it would hardly affect my time here.

The mean girls do not go away. They will remain, in their same cliquey bunches, fighting over the same boys and talking the same trash. The responsibilities do not go away. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, taking the time to study, these things do not vanish once you move out. But you're sense of perpetual boredom and frustration with the limitations and drama of your small town, these things will all go away when you make the transition into adulthood. Suddenly, you will understand the insecurities behind the mean girls, and you will understand how to surround yourself with the right people. You will want to keep your living area clean, and you will understand how to take pride in the person you have become. Your fear of the future will never dissapear, but it will be replaced by a confidence that comes with purpose and responsibility. College has more to offer than high school ever did, and with that in mind you can leave the mean girls behind.

If I could describe senior year in a few words it would be: an emotional whirlwind. Looking back on the experience or any experience, there are often things you wish you could change. First of all, research! Throughout the process of applying, actually research schools; hone in on your interests, find schools with good programs, and not only research their field but see what else they have to offer. Study abroad, scholarships, weekend excursions, volunteer opportunities, class size, and much more! Next, be excited! Yes, rejections are difficult. Often times, what makes it much more difficult is when your friends or peers get accepted and there you are with a rejection letter. Don’t get hung up on it. Allow yourself an hour to be mad at the world and upset; but then look over your own achievements, look at your acceptances, be proud, and get excited for the bright future you have to come. Lastly, know how you study. Groups? Individually? Flashcards? Talking it out? Find the study habits that work best for YOU. Pay attention to what works best because it is really imperative to your success in college.

Career-oriented and helpful and accomadating professors. I like this school mainly becuase everyone is very friendly, it has a realy great atmospher, and that everyone genuinely wants to do well in class and is focused; however, they still want to have fun at the same time.

Friendly, focused, career-oriented, determined, outgoing, love the rain,

Alina

The most frustrating thing about attending my school is the quality of coffee. When I order a coffee here, I am never sure what it is going to taste like. A majority of the time, I end up with an alright cup of coffee and I have no complaints, but no praise either. However, there are times when the barista over steams the milks, burns the coffee, or messes up the drink entirely. In college, coffee is a vital part to making it through late nights and early mornings and not knowing what I'm going to get is unacceptable.

I would tell myself to take better care of myself. To be the best person I can be, you need to make sure that you are healthy and happy in order to become a better person. I would say that assignments can be turned in late, if you cannot stay awake, if you have not eaten, or if you are on the verge of having a breakdown. It is okay to put the homework down for a second and relax. I would remind myself that school is not everything. In order to continue doing well in classes and life, you have to take some time to take care of you. School work does not take precedence over your wellbeing. The most important part about being a success person in life that you need to remember is that you are a person that needs to think about your hunger, sleep schedule, and emotions.

Thomas

The main advice I would give to myself is to not worry about it. It all works out in the end, one way or another so don't freak out or be nervous. I would also advise myself to make as many friends as possible and not focus on a few because sometimes those dont work out and then you are out of luck for a while.

Sometimes the wifi is extremely bad but it is much much better this year.

Goutham

University of Portland is a very unique school in that almost everyone you meet is approachable. What I mean by that is that most people at the University are always willing to answer a question, nice, and, most importantly, do not think they are too good for you. This is something you do not find at every school and I appreciate that a lot here U.P.

If I had the opportunity to give myself advice, now that I know about college life and making the transition, I would not give myself any advice. I would not give myself any advice because, now that I look back, struggling through the transition and getting accustomed to college life was important and it would hurt me if I did not struggle. It is also very important to not be comfortable and not know what is going to happen because that is what is going to happen in life a lot. If I told myself what to look for and what to do, I would have cheated myself out of a valuable experience. The fact that I figured out what people to talk to, how I should plan my day, and where I should eat means that I was able to learn on my feet. This is a skill that is vital in life because so much of life is not planned and the ability to adjust is essential in life. I loved that I had the opportunity to improve my improv skills and if I had been told what to do, it just would have hurt me.

I think the biggest thing I wish I had known is that there is truly a place for you here at U.P. Whether it is a club or a group of friends with a common interest, you will definitely not feel out of place. If I had known this, my anxiety for college would not have existed!

Cassandra

I wish I had known a little bit more about what types of field excursion happen. I am majoring in Environment Sciences but I am also doing an emphasis in social work. They love people very very well, but it would be awesome to get out in the great Northwest a little bit more.

Experience and learn. In our Western society that, that is the beautiful theme of college.With that in mind listen here, going to Michigan is not the best option you have in your pocket right now. Rather you should stay in Arizona and become a part of the great outdoor community that is around you. Love the people of Phoenix well, and learn a lot from the community college, learn as much as you can! After community college go to the University of Portland with great scholarships! Don't just memorize those vocabulary words soak them up. There are over 3 billion women whom would do anything to get the unhindered education that you are about to receive. If you don't take any of the advice above, that is fine, because you will learn and experience SO MUCH regardless of the route you take. Just keep caring.

This school gets down to business. There is something for everybody at this school. From arts to business, to enviornment excursions. It is a very self driven place, where you can achieve exactly what you set out to do!

The University of Portland is an academically-focused school that provides a multitude of academic, service, and social opportunities for ALL students.

Follow your heart. When I was in high school, I was a captain on the cross country and track teams, I was a peer tutor, I took all A.P. classes - I was involved in a lot. Because I was successful I thought so many people were counting on me so I participated in activities that I didn't enjoy because I was afraid to disappoint someone. I didn't take the time to find activities I was truly passionate about. College is the place to start fresh. College is the place where people find out who they are. College is a place for experimentation and play; the place where a person can try new things and decide to hate them or love them. I spent many years trying to please others. I've made so many decisions - for myself - that I never would have in high school and I've loved every one! Try things that seem strange! Learn how to say no! Listen to your heart, and trust your gut. That combination will lead you down an unbeaten path, full of treasures and adventures. Do what makes you happy first and foremost, it is, in fact, your life.

I wish I had known how much all the faculty members at this school really try to do everything they can to help every single student be as successful as they can be.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.