Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Be willing to put yourself out there; whether that is in class, meeting new people or networking in your professional field. In high school it is so easy to get caught up in what's cool or not cool, who you are supposed to be friends with, etc., but don't let that carry over into college. College is great oppotunity to meet and socialize with people you may have never come into contact with otherwise. Utilize this oppotunity to learn about other cultures, traditions, professional interests, hobbies, or whatever it may be, and then take that information and use it for your own personal developement and growth. Dont ever overlook someone just because they don't fit into the catagory of who you typically would be friends with. Every single individual has something unique and valuable that they can bring to the table, including yourself. Be someone who looks for that value in other people and you might be surpised what you learn about yourself as well along the way. Best of luck!

University of Portland is home to a wide variety of "types" of people. In general, I think if someone is looking to grow as an individual and be pushed academically and professionally by their professors and peers, University of Portland is a great choice. That being said, in order to reap those benefits, as a student, you must be willing to go above and beyond what is expected and be willing to utilize the oportunities available; they are not just given to you.

University of Portland does not have the social atmosphere of say a large state school, or a school with a greek system. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of opportunities for socializing, meeting new people and having fun at the University of Portland but if as a prospective student you are looking to live it up party style and have the craziest time of your life, this school probably isn't for you.

Linda

It doesn't matter what the name of the school is. Don't try to get into an Ivy League (or something similarily competitive), it'll be a waste of your time, tears, and money because in the end we all get the same degree that does the same things. The only thing that is different is the amount of money spent and quality of education you get. If you go to a public university or somewhere that's considered "easier", that's cool. It might even be better, just make sure to make the most of your education and experience. Make the learning experience top notch even if the school is not. And most of all, you don't have to be a doctor or be a bio major! Realize early on if you are a good fit for your major and will succeed, and make the right adjustments! Don't be afraid to ask for help and admit you need a lot of it, otherwise you'll fail some classes. Don't get too distracted (with boys)! Discipline yourself, learn how to study early on, have fun, don't lose your smile.

The smallness of the campus. It creates a more intimate learning and social environment. Smaller class sizes allows for greater discussion and learning. There's a sense of pride and togetherness in being a Pilot. The soccer games are also pretty great.

The smallness of the school. Sometimes it feels like some classes are too big and the administration couldn't adjust for the increasing number of students. Because the school is so small it's sometimes hard to find new people and new things. People tend to make friend/social groups, like cliques and stay in those groups. There's also a small amount of racial, cultural, and political diversity, which is limiting to students' and the school's progress. It's a very Catholic minded school and administration, which can be oppressive to other students and faculty.

Marissa

The best thing about the University of Portland is the environment it is in. Portland is such a youth friendly place, and the career and life opportunities it holds are unlimited.

In all honesty, college students’ lives are unnecessarily complicated. My advice to you? In order to make the smoothest transition into college, be uncomplicated. The best way to do that is to take advantage of your resources. You’re going to a place where every professor, faculty member, staff member, every administrator is set and ready to help you succeed at their university. Even upperclassmen get in on the action. Please please please do not be reluctant to ask for help. Going about any problem by yourself can be so much more difficult than necessary. There are people near you who’s jobs are to solve your problems and make your transition, and life, much easier. Please, take advantage of whatever help you can find, because it will be the determining factor of whether you become stronger or fall apart during your first year at college.

At UP, there are so many faculty members that are willing to support you throughout your entire college life. If you are one of the few who needs no guidance while you enter the world of independence, feel free to pick any college. But if you want a learning experience, not just by furthering your education but furthering your life skills, the University of Portland is the place for you..

Allison

There is a wide variety of people at U of P. That is one of my favorite things about this school. However, there are the few that attend large state schools such as Oregon State or the University of Oregon for social reasons as well as academic. While a good support system is important, there is more to college than parties and social gatherings. I feel that U of P has rather rigorous courses, so the students who attend should be very commited to their school work.

Dear sixteen-year-old Alli, If only you knew then what I knew now. How many times have you heard dad say that? Well it's true. Sure high school prepares you for, and gets you into college, but college determines the rest of your life. In college, it's important to take risks. Join a club, go out with friends, approach a teacher. Everyone on campus is there to help you. I used to be horrible about reaching out to people when I needed help. Don't be afraid to do that. What high school doesn't teach you is money management. You're about to embark on a debt-accumulating journey at a private university. Save all the money you can, and spend it wisely. You probably don't need that new pair of Adidas, or that really cute sweater. One more thing: remember how shy you were in high school? Don't be afraid to cut loose and be real. You have a beautiful soul, and people can't wait to get to know you. Do everyone a favor and introduce yourself. I can't wait to see where life takes you, Alli

Before I came to the University of Portland, I wish I would have known how important it is to develop good study habits. I am one of the kids that made it through highschool with only minimal amounts of studying, so I lacked the skills that would help me succeed on tests. I've learned the hard way how important it is to turn off the music, sit somewhere quiet, turn off my phone, and focus only on what is infront of me.

James

I'd say that the best thing by far about my school is the sense of community. Literally everyone is open and friendly and willing to include you. Each dorm is great and you can easily find people that are you can become freinds with. Campus Ministry is also fun and inviting but there is so much more than that. The way that the University organizes the freshman classes really makes it easy to get to know fellow students in similar majors and become friends with them.

Don't worry about the transtion. It's nerve wracking and easy to assume that you won't make any friends or that you're going to hate your roommate. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to relax and let all those worries fall away. You are at the start of what's going to be a great year. You're going to meet a lot of new people and you're not going to becoming friends with everyone, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because you will honestly make so many new friends that you're going to feel like sometimes you don't have enough time to see them all. So just relax and enjoy this last year of high school because you're about to start on the most exciting time of your life.

If you are the kind of person looking for a big school that you can lose youreself in, then this isn't the school for you. The University of Portland is a small school where at times it seems like everyone knows everyone. You also shouldn't come to this school if you're looking for a party everyday. There are a lot of things you can do to entertain yourself with your friends but generally you can't just find some random house party to walk into.

Alicia

A small school that is accomadating to every students needs.

A small school that is accomadating to every students needs.

I would advise every high school senior to go into college with an opened mind ready to learn. Most importantly, take advantage of your resources, and learn how to learn!

I would like to see more healthier options in the on-campus cafeterias, as well as longer hours.

Danica

There is a high population of white people

There is a high population of white people

We are ranked one of the top schools that provide the best quality in food and the healthiest food. Our food comes from a catering service called Bon Appetit. Their ingredients are local and their beef is organic.

I wish I took the AP Calculus and AP physics test. I took the AP calculus and physics classes, but my teacher did not push me to take the tests and so I did not even try to take the tests. I am currently double majoring in business and mathematics and I regret not taking the AP tests. Right now, I have to take Calculus I and Physics and that might have not have to happen if I took the AP exams and got a 4 or a 5. My advice to my past self would be to at lest try to take the exams, even when you do not think that you would pass it. At least try because if you do not try, then you will never know if you could have passed or failed. Also, be careful with eatting. Coming into college, there are so many food choices, but pace yourself. You have 4 years to eat whatever you want. Do not get caught in the freshman 15 because it is hard to lose the freshman 15.

Andrew

The University of Portland is a great place for young people to receive an education and prepare themselves for a world run by money and technology, however, if one does not affiliate with the catholic church, has little to offer in terms of personal and spiritual growth and critical thinking skills.

Honestly, the food. I love nutritious, delicious food and while I was in the process of researching universies, the food options really stood out to me. Large posters are draped across the Commons with pictures of fruits and vegetables and signs reading fresh, local, organic, food but once I started working at the school cafeteria, I discovered that these advertisements were not so accurate. Not only does the food lack the healthy quality I desire, they also lack in selection. All too often I find myself in the cafeteria staring at the menus wishing for more healthier options.

Always be confident in yourself. Never change who you are or deny what you believe as the result of peer pressure or a stressful situation. Know yourself. Instead of trying to fit in with the cool kids, develop yourself and your own interests, because you'll soon find out that the cool kids are actually pretty boring. Don't be ashamed of your past, instead, learn from your mistakes and your successes. What you do in this very moment determines what happens in the next. Always be in a state of growth and development. Be reflective and mindful of your current situation in order to discover the path to better circumstances in the future. Friends will come and go and fun times will be had but don't let these factors influence the amount of time you spend on your main priority: recieving an education and ultimately a degree. With this in mind, spend time doing activites that relieve stress, not create it. If this means playing an instrument or spending time with friends, then so be it, but balance everything with the idea that school is the main priority. Decide your priorities, stick to them and balance them out.

Alex

Something I wish I would've known was to not buy textbooks before the first day of classes. A couple of the books that were purchased ended up not being used so it was a waste of money when the money could've been used toward tuition.

I would tell myself to take IB tests. Not testing in IB is one of my biggest regrets. Had I tested I wouldn't have to take any of my core classes. My math, history, and english credits would all be waived and I would've been able to start upper-division nursing as a sophomore rather than a junior. The good thing about not testing in IB though is that I can use my prior knowledge in those subjects to boost my GPA. Something else I would've told myself was to focus on studying more and getting better grades to fully prepare myself for the amount of studying college would entail. Also, I would've told myself to apply for more scholarships and jobs to get more money because there are many unexpected expenses.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that a couple classes are a lot harder than I was expecting. Theology is a require class and it is something I have little background on so I find it hard to keep up with what the professor is saying. There are many quizzes and readings that are required. The professor also assigned extra books to buy at the end of the semester so that was frustrating because it was required to spend a ton more money in order to do well on one quiz.

Triona

The University of Portland is well known for their commitment to the development of the whole person. The university is not only focused on education and career preparation, but also making sure students are healthy, happy, and well adjusted. Students at UP learn how to serve lovingly, lead justly, and to never stop learning.

When I came to college, I thought I had all the basic skills I needed. I had good study skills, I could balance a checkbook, and I knew how to do my own laundry. While these things are all very important, there are a few other items, although not often thought of, that would have been very helpful. The first is get a bike and know how to use it. Like most freshman, I did not get to have a car on campus, so it was either walk or bike. Sadly, I did not have a bike my freshman year, and it meant a lot of walking to and from the grocery store. The second is know how to use email. It's not that hard, and your profesors will love you. The third is to plan time for yourself. College is difficult, and it's easy to let stress get the best of you. Plan time to excersice, read, and spend time with friends. Excercise and proper sleep will make you healthier and happier. Also, make sure your friends know that they are a priority to you, they will save you when things get rough.

There is very little support for athletics. UP does not have a football team, which is what most colleges are known for by sports fans, so most students as well as the community around campus are not interested in sports. This affects school spirit because it eliminates the large gathering of students cheering for their classmates.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.