Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Ivy

University of Portland is home to squirrels, birkenstocks, and some of the kindest people you will ever meet. In the short time that I've been herre, I have made better friends than I ever did in high school. The focus is not on partying as seems to be the case with other universities in the area. Instead UP offers a variety of different activities that allow students to enjoy themselves without risking arrest.

I wish I had understood exactly what "Catholic University" entailed. I was unaware of the manner in which Catholic morals would be imposed upon the students. I had assumed that with only 30% of the students identifying as Catholic, it would hardly affect my time here.

The mean girls do not go away. They will remain, in their same cliquey bunches, fighting over the same boys and talking the same trash. The responsibilities do not go away. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, taking the time to study, these things do not vanish once you move out. But you're sense of perpetual boredom and frustration with the limitations and drama of your small town, these things will all go away when you make the transition into adulthood. Suddenly, you will understand the insecurities behind the mean girls, and you will understand how to surround yourself with the right people. You will want to keep your living area clean, and you will understand how to take pride in the person you have become. Your fear of the future will never dissapear, but it will be replaced by a confidence that comes with purpose and responsibility. College has more to offer than high school ever did, and with that in mind you can leave the mean girls behind.

If I could describe senior year in a few words it would be: an emotional whirlwind. Looking back on the experience or any experience, there are often things you wish you could change. First of all, research! Throughout the process of applying, actually research schools; hone in on your interests, find schools with good programs, and not only research their field but see what else they have to offer. Study abroad, scholarships, weekend excursions, volunteer opportunities, class size, and much more! Next, be excited! Yes, rejections are difficult. Often times, what makes it much more difficult is when your friends or peers get accepted and there you are with a rejection letter. Don’t get hung up on it. Allow yourself an hour to be mad at the world and upset; but then look over your own achievements, look at your acceptances, be proud, and get excited for the bright future you have to come. Lastly, know how you study. Groups? Individually? Flashcards? Talking it out? Find the study habits that work best for YOU. Pay attention to what works best because it is really imperative to your success in college.

Career-oriented and helpful and accomadating professors. I like this school mainly becuase everyone is very friendly, it has a realy great atmospher, and that everyone genuinely wants to do well in class and is focused; however, they still want to have fun at the same time.

Friendly, focused, career-oriented, determined, outgoing, love the rain,

Alina

The most frustrating thing about attending my school is the quality of coffee. When I order a coffee here, I am never sure what it is going to taste like. A majority of the time, I end up with an alright cup of coffee and I have no complaints, but no praise either. However, there are times when the barista over steams the milks, burns the coffee, or messes up the drink entirely. In college, coffee is a vital part to making it through late nights and early mornings and not knowing what I'm going to get is unacceptable.

I would tell myself to take better care of myself. To be the best person I can be, you need to make sure that you are healthy and happy in order to become a better person. I would say that assignments can be turned in late, if you cannot stay awake, if you have not eaten, or if you are on the verge of having a breakdown. It is okay to put the homework down for a second and relax. I would remind myself that school is not everything. In order to continue doing well in classes and life, you have to take some time to take care of you. School work does not take precedence over your wellbeing. The most important part about being a success person in life that you need to remember is that you are a person that needs to think about your hunger, sleep schedule, and emotions.

Thomas

The main advice I would give to myself is to not worry about it. It all works out in the end, one way or another so don't freak out or be nervous. I would also advise myself to make as many friends as possible and not focus on a few because sometimes those dont work out and then you are out of luck for a while.

Sometimes the wifi is extremely bad but it is much much better this year.

Goutham

University of Portland is a very unique school in that almost everyone you meet is approachable. What I mean by that is that most people at the University are always willing to answer a question, nice, and, most importantly, do not think they are too good for you. This is something you do not find at every school and I appreciate that a lot here U.P.

If I had the opportunity to give myself advice, now that I know about college life and making the transition, I would not give myself any advice. I would not give myself any advice because, now that I look back, struggling through the transition and getting accustomed to college life was important and it would hurt me if I did not struggle. It is also very important to not be comfortable and not know what is going to happen because that is what is going to happen in life a lot. If I told myself what to look for and what to do, I would have cheated myself out of a valuable experience. The fact that I figured out what people to talk to, how I should plan my day, and where I should eat means that I was able to learn on my feet. This is a skill that is vital in life because so much of life is not planned and the ability to adjust is essential in life. I loved that I had the opportunity to improve my improv skills and if I had been told what to do, it just would have hurt me.

I think the biggest thing I wish I had known is that there is truly a place for you here at U.P. Whether it is a club or a group of friends with a common interest, you will definitely not feel out of place. If I had known this, my anxiety for college would not have existed!

Cassandra

I wish I had known a little bit more about what types of field excursion happen. I am majoring in Environment Sciences but I am also doing an emphasis in social work. They love people very very well, but it would be awesome to get out in the great Northwest a little bit more.

Experience and learn. In our Western society that, that is the beautiful theme of college.With that in mind listen here, going to Michigan is not the best option you have in your pocket right now. Rather you should stay in Arizona and become a part of the great outdoor community that is around you. Love the people of Phoenix well, and learn a lot from the community college, learn as much as you can! After community college go to the University of Portland with great scholarships! Don't just memorize those vocabulary words soak them up. There are over 3 billion women whom would do anything to get the unhindered education that you are about to receive. If you don't take any of the advice above, that is fine, because you will learn and experience SO MUCH regardless of the route you take. Just keep caring.

This school gets down to business. There is something for everybody at this school. From arts to business, to enviornment excursions. It is a very self driven place, where you can achieve exactly what you set out to do!

The University of Portland is an academically-focused school that provides a multitude of academic, service, and social opportunities for ALL students.

Follow your heart. When I was in high school, I was a captain on the cross country and track teams, I was a peer tutor, I took all A.P. classes - I was involved in a lot. Because I was successful I thought so many people were counting on me so I participated in activities that I didn't enjoy because I was afraid to disappoint someone. I didn't take the time to find activities I was truly passionate about. College is the place to start fresh. College is the place where people find out who they are. College is a place for experimentation and play; the place where a person can try new things and decide to hate them or love them. I spent many years trying to please others. I've made so many decisions - for myself - that I never would have in high school and I've loved every one! Try things that seem strange! Learn how to say no! Listen to your heart, and trust your gut. That combination will lead you down an unbeaten path, full of treasures and adventures. Do what makes you happy first and foremost, it is, in fact, your life.

I wish I had known how much all the faculty members at this school really try to do everything they can to help every single student be as successful as they can be.

Madison

High school self, Your life right now is going to make you feel like you need to have it all figured out. You will be told you need to choose a major, choose a college that has a great program for that major and then you will always be told your grades and SAT scores aren’t good enough. Stop. Breath. The turmoil that the stress brought isn’t worth the arguments with your parents. They are the best people in your life right now. They are excited for you, they want to help you, even though you think they are forcing you to make these huge life decisions. You are special, you know who you are and have started college off right. You turned down the drugs, alcohol and sex to stay true to your own values. Be proud that you stick out in high school because in college you are the person that has their head screwed on right. You have to learn to accept that being different and “old-fashion” in high school isn’t a bad thing; don’t let others make you feel bad about yourself. You are special. You are loved. Always be you.

There is so much to do! Everywhere you look there is some sort of campus event going on! Cereal nights, pancake night, campus movie night, Foamcoming, slip-n-slides, hiking, camping, intermural sports, body painting before games with slides full of paint! The list goes on and on. The atmosphere of University of Portland was unparalleled to any other campus I visited. People genuinely care about you and want to make your day better. I absolutely love my campus; it is my home.

Rylee

My school is in my favorite city, and has my some of my favorite people, and offers some of my favorite classes. The school as a whole feels much more welcoming. The most unique thing about my school versus the others I considered is that I chose University of Portland.

I would tell myself to do more community service. It'll help me relate to the people around me and be more compassionate. I would also tell myself that it's okay to not know and be a little uncertain in myself, because anyone who learned anything had a point where they didn't know. All of the people starting college with me had times where they were in the same place as I was, and I would even know more than others and be able to help them. I would also tell myself not to worry so much about money or friends or things that could be out of my control. In the end, what will be will be, and the best thing I could have learned would be to make the best of each and every thing that happened to or around me.

I wish I had known that living on a college campus is a lot like summer school with classes, and that professors and other people who work on campus aren't scary. I would have initially felt better about asking for help and been more comfortable meeting new people.

Guadalupe

The University of Portland is known for many things. It is known for having outstanding academics, not only for the basic graduation requirements of the University, but for all majors and minors that are offered here. It is known especially for its very selective acceptance of students, it is difficult to get into this University not only because they are private, but because they have high expectations of their students. The University of Portland is also known for it's welcoming, supportive andencouraging community. Everyone here; faculty, staff, students and alumi are around to help all students be successful.

Coming from a Hispanic family, I was raised Catholic. Religion, now that I am considered an adult, is something my parents do not force me to practice but strongly encourage. But ever since I was three years old, I developed a strong interest in Catholicisim. I was highly intrigued to attend University of Portland because it is a Catholic school. Also, it is a private school; it has small classroom sizes that allows for a great relationships with classmates and professors that want me to be successful. These are some things that I consider the best about my school.

Coming into college can be a stressful adventure full of mistakes, new ideas and opportunities, learning, happiness and yes, maybe even a couple tears here and there. Getting ready for such a big step in life is exciting but making the transition is a little scary. You may not know how your roommates, professors and other students are going to be like, how big (or small) your class may be, or how much work you may have to put into each class. You may not know how to study in a college setting, how to make friends, how to manage a schedule, or how to get around campus or town. But keep this in mind; all the freshmen are dealing with some or all of the same things that you are dealing with. You have to be open to new opportunities, meeting new people, being open with others; communicate, compromise and be outgoing. You have to be able to ask for help, go see your professors as needed, introduce yourself with confidence and kindness, know when to say yes, when to say no. Ask questions. The people around you are there to help. Do not be afraid to feel uncomfortable.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.