University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras

Daniela

The University of Puerto Rico is a great school with great professors if you know how to find them, if not then you might get some really terrible professors. The facilities need some upgrading, but overall they have the basic necessities. The tuition is also very low in comparison to the other universities on the island.

Alexandra

In a academic way is one of the best of Puerto Rico. The housing for exchange students are very good. Most of the prpfessor are pro student. The security is more or less. The best is that you never walk alone in the night. They are plenty of optionsof where to eat, study and of course drink.

It's a big campus, people are friendly and the professors are good at their job! The atmosphere of the campus is amazing. There is always something to do, a lot of arts in the humanities department. Basically since it is a big campus departments are separated but you can often socialize with students from most departments.

Ramon

It is a great school. I have accomplished a lot being a "Gallito" (Mascot). I have studied abroad at the Universidade do Porto in Portugal, by being a Benjamin Gilman Scholar. Also, I have done multiple biomedical summer research internships, and I've participated in various biomedical conferences.

Eduardo M

The Río Piedras UPR has excellent professors, amazing intellectual debates and discussions, lots of artistic activity and opportunities...but barely any funding, disorganization at practically all levels, highly questionable safety for women and people of the LGBTIAQ community, ever decreasing funding for the Humanities and social sciences especially, and the services, planning and funding change pretty drastically every time the elections result in a change of ruling party. I only recommend this university for highly driven, self-organized students that want an education with incredible intellectual content and still high prestige, as well as highly original and genuine artistic activity, but can live with dangerous levels of uncertainty.

Priscilla

My opinion is that this University has great professors, but the administration needs to be changed. During my first year, I learned a lot, the perspective I had of life has changed since I'm there. If people come to this university will learn a lot, promise, but you will have a lot of trouble with the administration and the departments because no one like to do their job.

Mariane

I think that University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras is probably the best educational center on the island. Everyone on campus is very open-minded to a lot of political and cultural themes. Everyone on this campus is very liberal, and the campus acceptance to LGBT students is amazing, and that is very important when you're trying to find a good college where everyone is very tolerant when it comes to the LGBT community.

Frances

This is the best university you can find in the Caribbean.The majority of professors are excellent.Classes are tough,so you have to study hard.The campus is very big and pretty.They offer a huge variety of degrees,so there is plenty of opportunities.

gabriella

It could do much better if it wasn't for the huge debt Puerto Rico currently lives through. Also, the University set in motion a raise in credits, instead of paying approximately $57 per credit, now it is $115 and there are many students who do not qualify for scholarships.

Dana

The University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras is a university with a student population of about 13,000. In general terms the professors are very comprehensive and experienced. (Although the ocasional arrogant professor will make his appearance once in a while.) The staff is very kind , upbeat and helpful. In terms of campus it is a bit outdated and the hurricane has damaged some buildings so there are some classes in the student center. Drug use is common (mainly weed which is illegal in the country) but not with all students. Some do it only on weekends, others don't smoke at all and some are daily users. I would say approximately 3 out of 30 students smokes or has smoked.Politics are a big part of the community mainly due to the fact that the university community has a more nationalist, socialist ideology which is against the democratic, pro-statehood government. The uprisings and strikes have sometimes ended with police brutality which at the same time looks down on the police presence in campus ( there are mostly security guards) therefore the weed. Even the situation is currently a bit dark the community in general is very friendly and there are clubs for every taste.

Melanie

Our system at the University of Puerto Rico is unique in that from the moment you are admitted into the university, you already have a declared major. This allows students to plan out their academic career a little more clearly, and have a greater chance at taking advantage of research, and extracurricular opportunities. During my time at Brown University, I found the Liberal Arts approach freeing, but also overwhelming. The UPR’s approach may be cumbersome at times, but it at least feels as if it has more structure. As someone that tends to try to be involved in too many things at once, I feel as if having this structure really helps me succeed as a student. Something that used to make the UPR stand out was our overall cost. Even though the price of tuition will be higher starting August 2018, we still have the lowest cost per credit in Puerto Rico. We used to charge $56 per undergraduate credit, but now the increase has moved that to $115 per undergraduate credit. Overall, a student’s average tuition cost is around $3,500-$4,000 a year. Yet, due to our high poverty rates, while this may seem cheap to any outsider, for the people in Puerto Rico, it is an extremely high price to pay. There is also an obvious stigma against non-STEM fields in my institution, since they are often seen as “dead-end degrees.” Yet, the overall lack of funding from the government has forced departments to come together to try and find solutions for the university’s pressing needs. However, what I truly believe let’s our system stand out is our resilience. After Hurricane Maria, the UPR was left in shambles. There was thousands of dollars worth of damage during a time in which the system has no money to spare. Yet, months later we are still operating, and trying our best to survive and grant the public the access to education they deserve. I believe that, like many other aspects of Puerto Rico, there is still a lot of work to be done. My institution is an excellent resource for learning in the island, yet the budget cuts it is enduring are putting a lot of strain on the entire university system. Given the opportunity, I believe we could very well prove our worth, and help keep the UPR’s mission of educating the public for a better tomorrow. Overall, our education system needs reform, but we have a good base to start with.

Jose

At first, I thought the University of Puerto Rico was one of a kind. Now it's something completely opposite. I now recognize the malfunction of the system, the inequalities from a broad perspective and the difficulty of finishing a bachelor's degree that is supposed to be finished in four years. However, the education is more than functional. Our professors are prepared in all the senses and, for me, this qualifies a university as this one as a positive secure place for our advancement.

Eduardo

The University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras is the main university in all of Puerto Rico. It is known for its excellent education in programs within the College of Natural Sciences, College of Architecture, College of Humanities, College of Business, and College of Social Sciences. It has wide variety of opportunities for research. Also, compared to schools in the mainland of U.S.A it is relatively inexpensive. Courses are mostly taught in Spanish although there are many taught in English. Our university is historically participant of political activities or manifestations which has given the university an unfair negative reputation. Yet, the university continues to be the best academic and economic option for students coming from disadvantaged backgrounds. It is also an excellent option for foreign Spanish speaking students who want a degree from the U.S.A. If you ask me I love Iupi!

Jose

Is good, but the administration have done many things in the recent years that are put the students in a difficult socio-economic situation. The academic level is very good. You get to develop a good critical thinking ability. The facilities need a lot of remodeling.

Aurimar

Administration makes your life a lot harder than it needs to be. You need to speak with 25 people to get one thing done. Professors are all over the place, some are excellent and some are horrible. No one evaluates the professors, therefore they essentially do whatever they want.

Valerie

Universities are a great place to meet new people, learn amazing things and develop yourself academically and professionally. Without any doubt, University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras meets all these qualities. It’s the biggest campus in Puerto Rico, where you can find and get to know different people. Puertoricans are very festive people, we celebrate even the smallest event. No matter what happens, we manage to keep a smile on our faces. A perfect example of this happened when we were hit by Hurricane Maria, everyone helped each other, students gave free food for those who didnt have any, it was very difficult but at the same time we learned a lot as students and as puertoricans. Rio Piedras campus has a lot to offer, mostly in investigation, we have excellent professors who incentive and push every student to their best. I assure everyone that you would not regret the decision of going to the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras

maite

Most professors are extremely hard working individuals, who are passionate about their jobs. La iupi has a welcoming atmosphere that allows students to pursue a remarkable education while keeping a close watch on their rights (as Puerto Ricans and as students). Overall, the campus is filled with a diverse group of students, ranging from young minds completing a bachelors in Biology to people hoping to earn a masters Literature.

Charleen

After graduating from a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, I must say the experience and academic knowledge acquired was worth it. The accounting program is very competitive and most of the graduates get well-paid jobs after graduating. Of course, this depends on the interships made, networking, and grades. The university is prestigious in Puerto Rico and it has lots of clubs in every discipline. I also took lessons in the Language (French) and Music departments, which were excellent academically too. The cost is not expensive compared to universities in United States. There is a lot of diversity in the university too. Nonetheless, the buildings and equipments are very damaged in almost all the university, and few rallies happen between the semesters. There are many places to eat and lots of nightlife, specially in the weekends. The on-campus housing is in bad conditions too, expect for one of the buildings but that one is more expensive. I would recommend living off-campus, depending in your budget. I would recommend the university because of the extracurricular activities, diversity, economy and academic resources.