University of Rhode Island Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Rhode Island

Baizat

The University of Rhode Island is a good school overall. If you get involved in student organizations and make friends, the four years can pass you by. Granted, with any given university or college, it has its faults. For instance, we love our sports but if you have a dream to make it to the NFL, don't expect this university to take you there. We have a good nursing program, one of the best in the state, but our chemistry department is not that great. The food is good, but remember: the more you eat of the same kind of food, the less desirable it becomes. The university is practically built on hills and long, steady inclines, so expect to take one or two hills/inclines in order to make it to class. These are just some of the few characteristics that make URI. Now, one thing I wish I remembered before making my decision was that, every experience is not the general experience. My continuing experience at URI will most likely be different for someone else who attends URI. It's really all up to the applicant to decide whether the university will be her second home for the next four years or if it will be just another university that they can check off their list.

Its a calm campus when you need it to be theres always a new area to discover when studying a lot of open sources to use and when you need to let loose and have fun there are plenty of opportunities waiting for you.

Cameron

The University of Rhode Island is a beautiful campus that has been growing for 125 years. Its sports teams are division 1 and compete in the A10 conference and the basketball team has recently made a trip to the NCAA tournament. the University also contains many club teams and intramural teams. Class size varies from hundreds of students within a lecture hall to more intimate classes of 20-30 students. Regardless of the class size the professors always make themselves readily available during office hours and often teachers assistants and undergraduates are available to help students too. One downside to URI is the parking is a little scarce. However recently the University has acknowledged this and has spent money on a public transportation system to help students commute from the farther away parking lots. URI continues to expand as it is currently building another residence hall, as well as an engineering building. Overall URI is an enjoyable school to attend and provides a great learning environment.

I really love URI, everyday I am thankful that a picked such a good school and happy about everyone that I met there. There are so many opportunities to get involved, and you are always meeting new people. The sophomore dorms are kind of terrible, and the chemistry department really needs to be fixed. But all in all I'm still grateful for such a nice campus and the location is great. If you love the beach this is perfect for you.

Gina

I think URI is a great place to meet new people, gain new experiences, and really find yourself. Personally, I think the classes are amazing and you learn a lot of things that you could use for things other than tests and assessments. URI will also keep up with recent graduates and even provide them with job offers at the university if it applies to their degree. There is a sense of togetherness and everyone helps out one another and there's never nothing to do on campus.

Bridget

URI is a place with a lot of friendly people. The campus is small enough so you run into the same people a lot, which is a good way to make connections. However, the on-campus housing rates honestly isn't worth the amount you have to pay in Freshman year..

jack

AFter my first tour of URI I knew it was the school for me. I loved the mix of old and new buildings and the campus is beautiful. The people conducting the tour made me feel welcome. After my orientation overnight I knew I made the right choice. Everyone was super friendly, the adivisors gave me great advice on my class choices and i felt right at home. URI is a great place to live and learn!

Amber

University of Rhode Island is an okay school. Lots of people come from out of state. Not much diversity in students. Greek life is very apparent. Definitely lots of parties happening all the time. I'm a nursing major, course work is pretty tough. General education classes are super large, 200+ students.

For a state, rural school, it has a city feel in its organizations and activites. Its a school with a big heart.

Adriana

URI is filled with great opportunities everywhere you turn. The large campus allows you to see and meet new people every time you walk to class. The atmosphere at this University is spectacular. Between the athletic department, the Greek life here on campus, the local beaches and class, there is never down time. I find myself always occupied with something to do. With that being said, there is also plenty of down time. On-campus housing allows you to be walking distance from you're classes while also enjoying normal apartment amenities. Off campus gives you little bit more flexibility to be on your own and closer to the beaches! Both options are impeccable. URI has been an amazing experience for me. I have met great people and it has set me up to become extremely successful in my future endeavors.

I will always cherish the time and memories I've had at the University of Rhode Island.

Areli

The school is awesome and is located almost in the middle of nowhere which is kind of a good thing because it feels like its own little town. Wish there was more to do, there's only a lot to do if you have a car. however, the school hosts field trips that take you to fun places like New York, Boston and many more.

Kelly

As far as I'm concerned, the classes at University of Rhode Island, especially the health- and science-related ones, are intellectually stimulating, which makes learning at the facilities here is such as pleasure. And with the beach just a short ride away, URI offers many options for students who need a break from academia. There are also plenty of resources for students who are physically, emotionally, psychologically, and/or financially struggling, so that anybody can get help overcoming barriers to their dreams and goals.

Karen

Overall, URI is a pretty good school, but it has quite a few flaws academically. The chemistry department has been on probation for years and with good reason, it's close to awful and most people have retake classes several times and even then still can't pass, or switch majors because the science department in general is kind of bad. The math department has been close to probation for a while now as well, and the reason why is also obvious. It's not as bad as the chemistry department, but it's still pretty bad. Extracurricular activities, chances to improve your resume and experience at college, social life, food, and housing, however, are close to excellent. The best part about URI are all the different clubs and organizations you can get involved with.

URI is a school that tries to diversify and accommodate to the needs of the students. As like everything else, there are ups and downs. Personally, I have had a lot more ups than downs, but this will vary on the student. The school has been remodeling and trying to create more studies and buildings for each major.

Carmelina

Being a student at University of Rhode Island has been good, and a exciting part of my life. There so much to do on campus and off campus also, you get to meet some many people from different parts of the U.S and sometimes people from out of the country. University of Rhode Island has a great location its only 20 minute drive from the beach and restaurants by the beach too. The school has a little bit of everything so there will be something that you would want to get involved in.

Jaime

I believe that this is quite a good college. It has many great teachers, clubs, sports, and facilities. I am highly satisfied overall with my choice to go here, even if I'm not currently living on campus. I just wish that it was a bit cheaper, especially for the out of state kids coming here.

Needs more diversity. The school lacks diversity, sure it's says that every time people asked about the school but let me tell you that it's a lie. I did a program called TD during the summer, during that time I was surrounded by people like myself (poc) we were minorities but once school officially started the school became a whole different story. All you saw was Caucasian it was hard to find others like myself, and being the only black female in a classroom sometimes makes me feel discouraged.

Joshua

Despite being a large school I have felt a strong sense of community ever since arriving on campus. While sports and fraternities make up a large part of the student population they are by no means everything. The professors get involved with the lives of their students and are always happy to help. This is a great place to learn, and one that offers endless possibilities for its students.

I really do love the school, however I wish there was better on campus housing options. They have too many students for the amount of dorms that they have. I also think that they definitely need to have more parking if they are basically everyone to commute because of the lack of on campus housing. The food is actually pretty good though!

I absolutely love it here. There are plenty of activities and everyone is friendly and helpful. I'm getting a terrific education, the campus is beautiful, as well as the surrounding area, and the nearby beach is awesome. I would highly recommend taking a tour and becoming a Ram.

Melissa

The school in overall is challenging academically, which is great, and allows students who truly want to succeed to learn and get ready for their careers, as early as their freshman year. I just wish there were more intercultural relationships among the community. Being a mostly all white institution, it is not very often that we see groups mix up. There are some multicultural student organizations, who make students of color feel more accepted, but the discussion and integration must go beyond that, as in the classrooms, and the whole community in general.

Tolulope

The university is good with very good programs. Needs a little more diversity but there’s a good amount of diversity. The food is good some days and somes days trash but there’s always something to eat because there’s variety of food places on top of campus. The professors always make time for the students as long as you go to their office hours and there’s always student leaders as well to go to for help

Isabella

The University of Rhode Island is a very diverse school with a lot to offer. It has a large variety of classes to choose from so you have many options for your major and it’s fun to take a class that sparks an interest. The professors really care and they’re often available outside of class and many you can even call if needed. Many extracurricular activities are offered. Anything from the sustainability club to a live concert to intramural sports. There’s something for everyone to enjoy, which makes this school a very welcoming environment.

Nancy

Growing up a Rhode Island native I was hesitant that by choosing URI as a school I would not have been able to get the same college experience as someone who was going away to school. I couldn't have been more wrong. URI was by far one of the greatest experiences for me. I loved the school, the atmosphere and most of all the closeness to home. I knew that if I wanted a laid back weekend or help catching up on laundry if I had a busy school week I was able to just pop home and unwind. I feel as though I received a great academic education from URI as well as received the full college experience.

Anna-Maria

Overall the professors on campus are amazing and very approachable. Everyone on campus is very nice and helpful, especially when you are a freshman and get lost n the way to classes. The welcoming environment of this campus really helped me feel at home my first year there.

Joseph

I have just finished my sophomore year at the university of Rhode Island and i've had an overall good experience with the professors, living conditions, and community of the college. URI has been known as a party school during the late 70's and 80's. it has been spending a long time trying to clean up that image of their college and has done a good job in doing so. the on campus housing is ok and nothing to be bragging about. some of the older dorms do not have AC so they get unbearable during the summer. the food is left to be desired as well. it is one step up from what you will be served at typical high school and not much more. the university frequently updates their students with weekly events, trips, and seminars for the students to participate in so student life is pretty good. even though they cut down on the partying and keeping a closer eye on Greek life, most weekends and some weekdays there's usually parties so there is always something fun to do. the professors are easy to contact and they really try in helping the student when they need it academically, be it looking for help with a major or helping with a paper or classwork. all in all my experience with the university has been very good and i cant wait to come back for my junior year

Gideon

I recently transferred to The University of Rhode Island as a junior in the Spring 2018 term. My opinion of the University so far is, this is a school of opportunities. Each student, whether a commuter or a resident, has the chance to make something out of their time spent here. The academic facilities have been upgraded with better accommodations for both student and staff. The cafeterias are well kept; however, the food is entirely subjective. Buildings at times can be hard to locate, but the staff here is wonderful and they are always ready to help. There are many things that can to be said about the universities structure and facilities; however, in the end, I have yet to explore them. Nonetheless, one thing is for certain, the experience that is attained from this or any university will be life-changing.

Andrea

University of Rhode Island is a beautiful school. It is built on a hill and surrounded by beautiful trees and right near Narragansett and the beach. The professors are always ready to help anyone who needs it and the academics are great. Your classes will definitely make you think. The culture here is diverse and there is a place for everyone.

When I first graduated high school, as an active and involved varsity athlete, from a class of 200, URI was a perfect fit. I loved everything about the campus and Rhode Island in general. I had an amazing first few years, making friends, joining groups, going on adventures, sleeping on the beach. The next few years academics started to gain importance, and there was a lot to learn. I was overwhelmed with information and explored many majors, trying to find one to commit to. Fast forward through many challenges and obstacles, more than 15 years later, I am back at it, and feel right at home, despite being significantly older than my classmates.

Alex

I love it, Everyone is nice and you are never bored on campus! Everyone wants to do their best on campus and even having a reputation for being a party school, kids are able to balance the academics and partys. Professors are down to earth and are always willing to help.

Being a Rhode Island resident, raised in providence, allowed me to be able to have the college experience close to my house. I am part of Talent Development that helps be pay for URI. Despite the debt that I will be in, it was changed my life and I will continue to do my best.

Maeve

URI is not the biggest or smallest, the most prestigious or the least known. If you know what you want, it is easy to find or start; the professors and staff are extremely accessible. If you're bored on campus, it's because you haven't really looked - there's a wealth of student organizations, opportunities to get involved and career opportunities. Overall, URI is a great Uni to learn more about yourself and grow - professionally, academically or on a more personal level.

Kyle

The University of Rhode Island is known for being the big school in the smallest state in the USA. It's an absolute blast and having this school as an option is not a wrong decision at all. Especially if you live in the New England part of the country. Definitely consider this school as well if you're a Rhode Island or Massachusetts resident.

D'Ante

I honestly love the University of Rhode Island. I'm from Providence, Rhode Island, so the drive is not that bad. It's not too far from home, so I'm able to visit my family and check in on them from time to time. I love the diversity of my college, I love the atmosphere of my college, and I LOVE the food, so if you're able to visit... Another thing about URI is that it is well-known for its research and academic-based studies, especially in engineering. Overall, I love URI, and if you're willing to select URI as your final choice, I'm happy for you.

URI is one of the betters schools in New England for marine biology but even then, there are few courses offered focusing on specific species, marine mammals, and specific marine biology applications. To get the best out of this program, take advantage of every at sea course opportunity (the few offered) and get a job at the Bay Campus. This school is not challenging to get into and advisors are not always personable. My advisor for example only geared advice towards getting a PhD and aspiring for a masters for not advised well.

Eunice

Everything is pretty good. The only I would change is the distance between the commuter parking lots and the campus itself but we do have buses that come by every 10 mins to pick up students. I really like the classes and how available the teachers are, one can tell they really want to help their students achieve excellence

Catrina

URI is the perfect school if you want the total college experience! Freshman and sophomore year are usually spent totally on campus and then you can really feel like an adult living off campus for junior and senior year. Greek life is really big at our school and makes you feel connected to many people across campus. URI is the perfect school because it's not too small that it still feels like high school but you aren't overwhelmed like some larger universities. I've loved my past 3 years at this school and I'll be sad to leave.

Keelyn

I think the University of Rhode Island over all is a great school. Typically the lecture sizes are reasonable, spare a few of the general education classes or certain classes that are required for more than one major. All professors have accessible office hours that we can attend, should we have any problems, and there are multiple tutoring resources on campus. There are plenty of sports and clubs for students to join. However, there is an obvious bias towards our Greek life by student senate and most clubs get not-so adequate funding as most of it is funneled towards our sororities and fraternities. Overall, the University of Rhode Island is a great school academically wise.

Austin

Its a fine institution. I do feel at times like they don't do enough to help their students. I tried to enroll in a class and could never get a permission number even after I emailed the professor 4 times and now the class is full pushing back my graduation further. Thanks.

Student

There are many aspects of the University of Rhode Island that are great and some that are not so great. The facilities and learning environments look good and generally feel clean. Of all the teachers I have met, they are very friendly and helpful. Professors have generally been clear and used many good study resources. If you are looking for many fraternity and sorority options, there are plenty. Housing is nice but has seen many complaints and problems during the past semester alone. However, URI has some reputation as a party school and there can be an apparently endless smell of marijuana which can get very irritating.

Adam

URI is a great place to learn, meet new people and really explore yourself. I know that throughout my next 4 years I will have a great time.

Jamie

Where to begin, URI is an indescribable campus. If you're a student looking for night life and parties, this is the school for you. If you're a student looking to hit the books all day every day, this is the school for you too. URI has a balance for everything it has to offer to compensate for every type of student. I love it here!

molly

I love this university. My classes are great, the professors are awesome and always available, my dorm room is a good size, the food is good and healthy, and there is plenty of involvement available to students. I found my place. I have found cool classes that interest me and excite me about the future. I feel like ill have success after i leave this university. Its the best decision i have ever made.

David

The University of Rhode Island has amazing potential to be one of the most leading institutions of academia in the United States. Alas like all federal and state funded institutions there are setbacks and there is a need to invest more into the access of education for more Rhode Islanders. The campus in South Kingston is very lovely but as state to be located so far off from the city where access to services and opportunities for jobs should be prioritized. The need of a full functioning campus in downtown Providence would attract more students from all back grounds help keep connections with potential employers for graduates. I believe if you build and have affordable access they will come, people will come and use these resources to better themselves and the community which they reside in. I want the University of Rhode Island to do more in leading Rhode Island into the 21st century as a self-sustaining state who can produce and rely on the educated citizens of their state. If we invest in the people who help build our communities we will see the progression and the quality of life rise in our little big state. Rhode Island may be in geographical sense the smallest state but I know we have the potential and people and the hope to turn this state into one of the leaders of a sustainable and prosperous future.

The University of Rhode Island has provided me with numerous opportunities to help me grow as a person and realize my career goals. I entered the school knowing that I love working with animals, but I did not have a lot of experience working with different species. Having the farm on campus, and classes on the farm, helped broaden my horizons and realize that I quite enjoy working with farm animals. Overall, while I can't speak for the entire school, I feel that the animal science department is a great place for anyone interested in pursuing a career with animals.

Nusrat

This school wasn't my first choice, but being here really has changed my mind about it, I've found plenty of people to hang out with and the campus is quite beautiful, especially in the spring. The food in Butterfield is ehh, but everywhere else is pretty good, with tons of options. Also the fact that there is a Dunkin everywhere you go is a major plus.

Amy

The ​University of Rhode Island can be your home if you make it your home! What drew me to the school itself, was the campus. In every corner of URI there is something going on; whether it is a sports event at the Ryan Center or a bake sale fundraiser in the Memorial Union. There is always something to do to keep you and your friends busy. My favorite place is the Quad, also known as the common area. It is a large finely grassed field surrounded by a perimeter of beautiful trees and benches. Throughout the day, not only do students walk through to get to their classes, but those who do not have class tend to lounge here to soak up some sun during the spring and summer days. If you’re not laying down then you are most certainly playing frisbee, football, lacrosse, or even soccer with friends or strangers even. Many clubs also host their fundraisers here by setting up tables under the shade of the trees. It is very welcoming and aside from water balloon fights, let’s not forget about snowball fights in the winter. The university’s housing is dependent of what building you stay in because there are newer ones and much older ones, but that doesn’t mean you can’t transform your space and make the best of it. The university’s food is average in my opinion, but I will admit that they do have a ton of variety which is great. There are also two gyms located on campus, one conveniently closer than the other but the facilities are well equipped and space is endless. They often host specific workout classes that you can register for such as Spin and Zumba, which is awesome if you need motivation to workout. Overall I think the University of Rhode Island is a beautiful campus and everyone’s friendly as can be.

Micah

A great educaational institution that has both great vibes and location if you are an ocean lover, RI is the ocean state after all. I have nothing but good things to say about URI and my experience here. I see a bright future for URI, especially in the engineering fields with the construction of new facilities and the growing reputation of the engineering college.

Rebecca

I absolutely love URI. Immediately upon walking on the campus, the atmosphere is inviting and the people replicate. The student's and teachers make it known that they are there to help you. In addition, the campus is beautiful in all seasons. The teachers are more than approachable and other staff members are eager to help. The classroom sizes are the perfect middle, and there are plenty of resources available for students. To continue, the extracurriculars are amazing as well. With everything from languages to film, including Greek life and sports, there is never a dull moment at URI and there is always something going on. Not to mention, celebrities and performers alike routinely come about to perform at our amazing Ryan Center. It is without a doubt that any student whose goal is to be successful in their pursuit of higher education will find everything they need at The University of Rhode Island, and have tons of fun doing it.