Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Kelley

I would describe most of the population at St. Thomas as wealthy and white

I would describe most of the population at St. Thomas as wealthy and white

I would tell myself that its going to be harder than I expected. I would explain that unlike most of my classmates, I would be on my own finacially, which is going to make it difficult when wanting to go out with friends or live off campus. However, I would mention that even though financially its a struggle, I am getting the best education possible. I will be able to get a job right out of college, and I will have made some of the best friends I have ever had. I would also mention that it isn't all about boys and partying. It is important to stay on top of school work, but also there is a need to be balanced socially. Overall, I would tell myself that I am ready, and I will succeed at whatever I do with the right additude!

someone who is driven, is strong academically, and also likes being located in the city

Katelyn

University of St. Thomas is unique because it is a close knit school with a big name that is recognized by employers.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self I would tell her that the pressures I feel now will prepare me for the rest of my life. Choosing a college and finishing high school is a major event in your life. It should be joyful and even though it feels never ending and sometimes life ending, it is preparation for other pressures in life. You will have to interview for jobs, apply for graduate school, and meet deadlines all of your life. Learning how to handle pressures that you feel during your senior year ultimately prepares you to make other life altering decisions. However, it is also important to cherish your senior year. Don't loose sight of the great time that you are able to have. College is a blast, and learning how to juggle pressure and fun will get you through it.

Someone who attends University of St. Thomas should be someone who is striving for a well rounded and challenging education. They should be very motivated and social.

Kristen

St. Thomas is the largest private school in Minnesota close enough to the city to get the best of both worlds.

The buildings are absolutely beautiful, my classes are great, small, and close knit. Most of all I have met so many great people in such a beautiful city.

It is not as scary as you think, you've been preparing for this your entire life it is almost like grade 13. You will meet new people and you will love everything. Just believe in yourself and you will go far.

David

The University of Saint Thomas is an institution that successfully integrates the precepts of Catholic intellectual tradition- faith, hope, and charity- into the business world.

One attribute of the successful 'Saint Thomas' student which applicants forget to cultivate is a comprehensive knowledge of the school's history. Since its founding in 1885, this university has witnessed numerous events which left their indelible mark upon American history. Its graduates have been key participants in 20th century events, and today its alumni pioneer scientific and business advances within the Twin Cities. Applied correctly, this historical knowledge not only enriches research papers, but also wins the approval of conscientious professors. When considering Saint Thomas, learning its story is the first step to success.

Gold

Always be, at least, one step ahead of the game, never think that you aren't doing enough because sometimes doing more is better. You should study harder and develop a style of studying so tha when you go to college studying will come easier for you. If you don't understand something ask questions, don't be afraid of asking because the teachers will always be there to help you out no matter how much questions you have to ask. Utilize the help center within the school, especially for college help such as scholarships, applications, and decision of schools. Number one thing that I would like to tell my high school self is to get rid of the procrasination behavior and try harder to turn everything in and play around less. With all of this college life and the transition into college would be easier and there would not be much of a struggle when it comes to exams and finals.

The best thing about my college is the faculty members and the different helping centers that they have available on campus. With all of these put together there is never an unanswered question here at the University of St. Thomas.

I wish that I had known it was going to be harder than what most previous college students made it out to be. Also, study habits, as an incoming freshman of the new year, I had no idea that when it came to finals, how hard you had to study to understand the material and even just the homework. It makes me wonder, what have I been doing the past four years of my life? because coming into college was not what I thought it was going to be.

Jacqueline

I would tell myself to take a CNA course and work as that over the summer after my freshman year. I would tell myself to not go home for the summer after my sophomore year. I would tell myself to do research at St. Thomas instead. I would say don't be nervous about going to college because you'll meet your best friends who will be friends for life.

Someone who is interested in science, engineering, or business would benefit greatly from attending this school. Someone who is not too concerned with school spirit would like this school. You must like being in a big city and living in a busy area.

I love the size of the school. It's not too big and overwhelming, yet not too small where you know everything about everyone.

Renee

The University of St. Thomas provides incredible resources and faith to students.

My senior year of high school was unique. My brother was deployed to Afghanistan, my parents got divorced, and I spent more time taking care of my alcoholic father than I did of myself. My grades and my confidence plummeted. I never got to truly enjoy my senior year of high school, because I was too busy handling the events that my life handled me. Now, as a freshman in college, I would tell myself that things do not get easier; rough times are inevitable. I cannot change the events that have happened or will happen, but I can change my own individual outlook on them. Senior year of high school, I was unsure whether or not I would be able to attend my dream school- a school that multiple family members attended and loved because of the recessionary times. Despite all of my surroundings telling me there was no way to attend, I turned to them and said "watch me". I am now a freshman a freshman at my dream school, and love it more and more each day. I have learned that everything happens for a reason, and regardless of life's event, to smile through the pain.

There are no "types" of students that should attend this school, just dedicated students. Coming into St. Thomas, I was unsure if I would be able to attend due to the hefty tuition. However, with an incredible amount of determination, I found a way to make my Tommie dream come true. I was almost turned down because of my family's significantly lowered income due to the economy. . A student should be reviewed as a whole person before soley on their grades. Every student contributes to the Tommie family. We are all different, which is what makes us succeed.

What do people really wear to class?

What do people really wear to class?

There is a huge range of what students find acceptable attire for class. Most people usually dress pretty casually in jeans and tshirts or sweatshirts. Some people dress a little nicer, especially when they are giving presentations in front of the class. Some people look like they are going to the club when they go to class, and others look like they just rolled out of bed. St. Thomas is also really big on Tommy Spirit, so you will see a LOT of Tommy apparel around. It is all about what you feel comfortable wearing. No one else really cares what you wear, as long as you aren't super gross and smelly, or dressed like a prostitute or something like that.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

There were a few factors that made me decide on St. Thomas. First, one of my main concerns was not being too far away from home. I live in the suburbs of the Twin Cities, so I am just far enough away from home that I feel independent, but I am still able to get home to spend time with my family and friends that I left behind. Another concern at the time was athletics. During high school, I was set on playing college Fastpitch. St. Thomas is known around Minnesota as being one of the best Fastpitch programs in its division. It turned out that once I got to college, I wanted to spend my time on different things and have new experiences, so I didn't continue playing Fastpitch. However, for anyone who is considering playing any college sport, St. Thomas has a reputation for having some of the best programs in every sport we have. My top concern in choosing a college though, was whether I could study exactly what I wanted. St. Thomas is one of the few Minnesota universities that has an English major with a Creative Writing emphasis. Most schools only have an English major. When I saw that St. Thomas could give me more than most other schools, I knew that this was my school.

Tell us about your professors.

Overall, the professors at St. Thomas are very good. I have had professors from a range of departments, and all of them seemed to genuinely care about their classes and the success of their students. They always made themselves as available as they could to talk with students who needed help outside of class time. They always came to class prepared and made it clear that they are experts in their fields. My professors used a lot of different methods of teaching, some professors liked group projects and hands-on learning, others preferred discussion, and others liked the traditional lecture style of teaching. If a student learns better with one style verses another, it is virtually guaranteed that they will come across professors that teach their preferred style. One last thing I love about my professors is that they don't teach to tests. The professors aren't just focused on getting students to pass the class-- the "Cs get degrees" concept is not supported here. The professors want the students to truly know and understand the matierial they teach.

St. Thomas students love to get involved on campus. There are too many clubs and organizations to even attempt to list. The most popular activites would probably include the athletic teams and clubs. St. Thomas is known for athletic excellence despite the fact that it is a Division III school. Many students participate in the official St. Thomas teams, but there are also many clubs that play just for fun. They are often co-ed and you can find a club for just about any sport you can think of from Frizbee Golf, to Tennis, to Rugby. There are numberous other types of clubs other than athletics however. STAR is a popular organization to get involved in because they are responsible for all the entertainment that is brought to St. Thomas. Earlier this fall, STAR was able to get Dirks Bently (a famous country singer) to give a free concert in our gym. Joining organizations is a great way to meet new people. I met some of my closest friends at St. Thomas by joining a club called CLU. CLU is a Christain organization that allows students to come and talk about issues in their life or community and relate it to how Christians should act or react. It is a small club now, but it is steadily growing. Besides committing to a club or organization, a student can participate in many other activities on and off campus as part of their social adventures. If one is a partier, there are often parties thrown by students who live in the houses off campus. These aren't usually free-for-all, blow-out parties that cause trouble, but are fun to attend. There are also a lot of popular clubs that students like to go to on the weekends to dance and hang out. I personally am not a fan of partying or dancing, and neither are my friends, but we are avid music and movie fans. St. Thomas often has musicians come to perform at Scooters or will play popular movies in our auditorium. My friends and I always take advantage of this free form of entertainment. There are a lot of ways to get involved and have fun on campus, what you find yourself doing in your spare time is virtually only limited to your own personal preferences.

From my own experience, the students of St. Thomas create a diverse community of people who are interested in meeting new people, hearing different points of view, and are respectful and supportive of each other. St. Thomas is located in a very urban environment which allows people from all walks of life to come together. I have observed that people from very different backgrounds often become friends, and are willing to get to know students who are different from themselves. The type of student that would feel out of place at this school would be one who isn't prepared to open their mind at at least hear opinions different than their own. In my experience, students are very casual and friendly. Most students go to class in very casual attire, which creates a very relaxed atmosphere. If one were to enter our cafeteria and observe the tables of students eating, one would probably see a slight divide in gender (however only slightly; men and women interact very commonly and peacefully at St. Thomas). One would also see that race is not divided. White people make up the highest percentage of race at St. Thomas, however, it is very common and acceptable for students of different races to interact. In fact, if I walked into the cafeteria and saw an entire table of only Asian American or African American students, I would find that odd. I have also noticed a very strong acceptance of difference in religious, sexual orientation, and socio-economic backgrounds. It is also interesting to hear students talk about politics because there is such a variety of views prevalent in our student body. My friends and I happen to be more conservative, but I have also had pleasant conversations with classmates who are strongly liberal. Overall, I would describe the students at St. Thomas very relaxed in regards to social interaction. Students are more concerned with their studies than in getting worked up over drama between friends and judging people for their backgrounds.

St. Thomas prides itself on expectations of excellence in all areas, but most importantly academics. Small classes and professors who genuinely care about their students are huge factors in the success of St. Thomas students. I have taken 12 courses thus far, and I have only had one class that had more than 20 students. Each of my professors knew my name and that I preferred to be called Jessi instead of Jessica. They knew my work and were almost always available to meet with me if I needed to help with an assignment or needed advice about other classes. My favorite class so far has been my Public Communication course. It is a class of 10 people, including myself, and we have been learning about all forms of public communication from giving speeches to recording public service announcements in a studio. The thing I love about this class is that we don't just talk about theories and techniques, but we are able to actually practice them by giving speeches and record ourselves in our Tech Studio. This class challenged me by forcing me to confront my fear of public speaking and gave me the opportunity to learn skills I may not have had the opportunity to learn otherwise, such as how to edit an audio recording or run a camera in a TV studio. The class I enjoyed the least was my math class during my freshmen year. My professor was wonderful and I did well in the class, but math is not my forte. I am an English major and Communication/Journalism minor, and that is partially because I find math and anything involving math very boring. One thing that I really enjoy about the students of St. Thomas is their desire to really learn what the professors are teaching. Through the level of participation in class and the conversations students have with each other outside of class, it's obvious that the students here are taking in what they have learned and are applying it to both how they view the world and how they behave in society. St. Thomas students love to get involved in a variety of organizations on campus that are geared towards making our community better, and this is often spurred by the knowledge they obtain from their classes and peers. I have found that the goal of St. Thomas is not just to teach its students the theories and facts written down in books, but how to apply what they know in order to be a good citizen and a good worker. St. Thomas is trying to create competitive students who are motivated towards being the best in their fields. The goal is to teach students what they need to know to do their job, but also to be good citizens looking to contribute to and improve society. For example, (as I mentioned before) I am an English major and a Communication/Journalism minor, and in my classes, I don't simply learn how to write and analyze text-- I have learned the power of communication and literature. We have discussed in several classes how we have the power to communicate messages to others, therefore we have the opportunity and responsibility to communicate message that will benefit society, rather than harm it. The English and Communication/Journalism departments, like many of the departments at St. Thomas, are very good at helping students to figure out what career path best suits each individual student. The academic requirements for graduation allow each student to expand his or her horizon, and doesn't force one to need to know immediately what major or career they want to persue. St. Thomas requires students to take introductory courses in all basic fields such as Math, History, English, and etc. However, St. Thomas also requires students to study foreign language, Philosophy, Theology, and Music. This is to allow students to be well-rounded and give them a chance to discover new interests. St. Thomas understands that the key to a student's success is their desire and interest to learn, and I believe that the format of the university's academic system helps to foster that interest and desire in all of its students.

There are many positive and negative stereotypes associated with the students of St. Thomas. While some of these are accurate, many are not. Many people believe that because our school is a private Catholic university, all students enrolled come from rich families. St. Thomas students have been described as "snobby rich kids". This is an inaccurate stereotype. While some students come from wealthier families, most of the students are able to attend through scholarships and financial aid. Some people are also under the impression that all St. Thomas students are Catholic or Christian. This is also inaccurate; there is a significant population of students who follow faiths such as Jewish, Muslim, Agnostic, Athiest, and many others. One last common stereotype is that St. Thomas students are intelligent and hard working students who will be an asset to any company, organization, or business. I believe that this is an accurate stereotype. Most of the students that I have encountered at St. Thomas are dedicated students who aspire to do great things with the knowledge they are gaining here. There are many different stereotypes regarding the students of St. Thomas, but these three stereotypes are the most common.

Jesse

My classmates at this university are all incredibly friendly. As in most colleges, you have many different kinds of people from many different backgrounds. The majority of students here are studing buisness, engineering, education, pyschology, and pre-disciplinary studies (pre-med, pre-dentistry, etc.). Throughout my time here, I have constantly been meeting new people that have taught me much about myself and given me new perspectives about the world around me.

In high school, I was very nervous about college and how I would react to the monumental life change. Moreover, I was unsure what I wanted to do, if the university I chose to attend was the right one for me, and if I would make life-long friends in my first year. If I could go back and give myself advice, I would tell myself not to worry as much and instead of focusing on what could go wrong, focus on all the things that could go right; in other words, looking at going to college in a positive way. What I have learned now is that attending a college or university is a major accomplishment and something that everyone who is doing so should be proud of. I think the achievement of attending a college gets lost in the application process as well as within the unnecessary focus of trying to find a job. Overall, I would tell myself that in my future years, I may not find that "perfect job", however, throughout the process, I will learn more about myself and other people that I will be able to reflect on for the rest of my life.

I wish I knew more about how the meal plans worked. At first, I thought that the plan I selected wouldn't be enough but I soon found out that I had more than enough and I actually had meals left over at the end of the semester. I wish someone would have told me that the meals we have for the semester do not get used if you are away over a break; it would have been nice to be able to learn what students actually use each semester.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.