University of St Thomas-Saint Paul Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Jill

Not the best school. Unless you come with your friends, it will be very hard to make new friends. No one talks to each other in classes unless you know each other. They offer stuff to do during the week and weekends but it's very hard to connect with anyone. I highly suggest a different school for anyone who is not majoring in business. It seems as if only those majors are prioritized and the rest of the majors are on the wayside and taught by professors who aren't even from UST. Yes, I know not all professors are tenured there, but at least 50% of my classes were taught by St. Catherine professors. We have had racist incidents the past two years I've been here and the administration always says they are creating a "plan of action", which they say about every issue that happens (we had a couple bomb threats last year, too), but nothing ever really gets done. Definitely do not recommend going here.

Shayla

I absolutely love it here. The overall atmosphere is very positive. The school has great values such as service and compassion for all people and it really reflects on the student body as a whole. It is super easy to make friends especially if you join clubs (like Cru) on campus. It is also the perfect size to make new friends because people branch out unlike at large universities where students tend to stay with their old high school friends if they go to college with them. If you are interested in studying chemistry or biology or any type of science, I highly recommend St. Thomas because of our AMAZING science professors and because of the sheer number of research opportunities. The professors here want you to succeed and will help you succeed here if you work hard.

Meghan

St. Thomas has allowed me to grow and flourish academically. The professors in the English department take a personal interest in their students to encourage and support them in all endeavors, both in and outside the classroom.

Erika

It's an amazing school that loves to help its students, no matter the problem. The professors are very understanding. The food there could be better though since it's a small campus and there's not much choice at the school, but once you leave campus you can find a lot of good places to eat.

Blake

Attending St. Thomas has been a wonderful and cultivating experience for me. The community allows all types of individuals to flourish in a variety of ways. The educational experience has been rewarding beyond words. The overall atmosphere has been safe and welcoming.

Laura

The University of St. Thomas provides the full college experience. I receive hands on instruction and assistance from professors, and intellectual discussions with my classmates. The extensive alumni network provides countless opportunities to network and find internships. With all of the clubs and activities on campus, it's very easy to be involved and connect with other students. All in all, I chose St. Thomas for its community aspect and the welcoming presence on campus both in and out of the classroom.

Isaac

The University of Saint Thomas has provided me with an excellent community. The support I receive from my peers, professors, and everyone else on campus has given me the opportunity to pursue my dreams and develop into the person I want to be. This community has been such a gift and has helped me feel at home at Saint Thomas.

Maddie

It's a great school if you like things to be small. Don't expect much to go on at night or on the weekends, the campus is pretty much a ghost town. You will see the same faces all the time and there are few options for on campus housing. However, the school itself is beautiful. The facilities are kept up well and the options for classes are never ending. The school also offers wonderful scholarships. Probably because no one could afford it otherwise.

Matthew

My overall opinion of St. Thomas is that it is a great school. However, if you know you’re going to need financial support, like myself, make sure to do your homework about this school before accepting. First off, talk to Financial Aid Office early on to see how much tuition and other expenses will cost (like housing or dining) and then how much financial aid St. Thomas will award you plus how much the FAFSA will award you too. I had serious doubts if I could afford this school, but after I went to Financial Aid Office my worries went away. Also, make sure to see if any of your Advanced Placement or College in Schools classes will transfer, because this will help you from spending money on generals. As a commuter student, St. Thomas really accommodates us with off-campus students too. They provided us with our own area on campus where we have lockers, a lounge, a kitchen, and our own help desk area. Also, St. Thomas schedules clubs meeting at specific times on Tuesday and Thursday in late morning and offers a wide variety of clubs to join from those in your major to relaxing clubs. The academic rigor will challenge you at first, but once you get past your first semester you’ll get a hang of it. St. Thomas offers helpful centers in a majority of the departments with students who are majoring in that field to assist you with understanding of concepts, learning how to do something, or reviewing/brainstorming your essay. Overall, if you do end up selecting St. Thomas you’ll be glad you did as it is one of the top colleges in Minnesota.

Ana Maria

University of Saint Tomas, is a small private catholic school. Im very please to get obtain my undergraduate from this university. The class size are making it easy to ask questions during lectures and get the help you need. Due to fact that classes are small students are able to get to know and communicate with their teachers. The food is good, the campus is small and safe. The school is located in midtown so there are plenty of food to eat and places to visit. Overall I really recommend attending this university, tuition is high but hey offer a lot of scholarships.

Sam

I love St. Thomas, it is a wonderful school. I wanted to attend UST from a young age and I am very happy I did. Everything about the school is wonderful, the only issue is the school is quite expensive. I believe that the wonderful education I receive here will help counteract the high cost of tuition.

I love St. Thomas. It is near the city so there are plenty of internship opportunities and things to do. However, it also has its own defined campus so it is not mixed in with the neighborhood or cities. It is super close to Grand Ave with a bunch of shops and restaurants. There are many bars around the area too. The academics are great and you get out of it, what you put into it. There are also many scholarship opportunities and things to get involved in as well. You will get to know everyone quite quickly becaue of the small square footage of the campus and the close proximity of the dorms.

As a freshman here at St. Thomas, I feel like I have found a second home. I absolutely love it here and I’m so glad that I chose this college. It’s big enough that you don’t know everyone, but not so big that you lose the sense of community. Overall, life at St. Thomas is great.

When I imagined college, thoughts of drunk people everywhere, people showing up to class and falling asleep, and gross food that looks like what people in jail would eat were popular things that came into mind. But none of that is true so far at St. Thomas. I haven't been here for even a semester yet, and there has already been a hate crime committed by a student, as well as two student deaths. I thought the administration would make a small deal like my Highschool did, but I was amazed and proud of what they did. There was a sit in organized, a school wide mandatory assembly, and two memorial/ remembrence services provided. They offer a wide variety of opportunities here, and Im glad I chose to attend St. Thomas.

So far, I have loved attending the University of St. Thomas. The academics here are great, and professors are very personable and accessible if you need help with anything. There are tons of resources to help you succeed, such as tutors, academic counselors and career counselors. People here are pretty friendly. There is a wide variety of things to get involved in, and there really is something for just about everyone. Lots of fun events being put on all the time. Campus can be pretty dead on weekends, which some people don't necessarily like, but that's ok.

Helen

Academically an excellent institution. The professors are involved and the class sizes are ideal for learning. The campus lacks a little in diversity. I feel that the institution is still working on how to balance their catholic social teachings with social justice. But at least they recognize their areas for growth.

I honestly do not like the school that much. They are big on creating a welcoming community but I haven never felt like I fit in at the school socially. Academically I love the business school the professors are awesome and know so much about the business world. I am still at the school due to the great education. Living off campus can be hard because the school is situated in the city in a more high class neighborhood making student housing cost a fortune unless you live in a old house with multiple roommates that is falling apart.

Bethany

The facilities, class sizes, and professors are great here. Socially, it is a bit hard, discrimination based upon income level or race happens occasionally. Many students are not very motivated in terms of academics here as well, because of this, students may find the experience of making friends a little difficult, but classes are a good way to branch out and get involved. I feel as though my major has prepared me well, as I am entering my graduate program, and it is in large part due to the wonderful professors I have met here.

Jasbeth

Overall, St. Thomas is a great school. In all honesty, it is very expensive. If you get a good scholarship and it is reasonably a price you can pay, then yes this school is perfect come. If you are looking for frat/sorority life do not even consider this school because there is nothing like that at this school. The classrooms are great, especially if you are a science major because your professor will actually know your name and you will feel confortable asking for questions and reaching out to them. In regards to housing, it's very good and easy to become friends with people on your floor, but you do have to reach out to people. Overall, it's a great school with great opportunities, research, and graduate job placement.

Ahmed

University of saint Thomas is a bright and vibrant place beautiful scenery with all the facilities that you could possibly need. Professors are there to teach not to judge, with office hours you could visit them on what ever question you may ask i would suggest you drop by and say hi. the student are friendly and kind people to be around with a sense of intellectual and diverse atmosphere flowing from them.

Sophia

I think that the professors truly take an interest in each student personally, if you make the effort to be engaged in class. Many of my classes are very participation based. The campus is a mix of commuter students and those who live on or very near campus. Living on campus is extremely expensive, but super convenient. Many students rent houses or apartments within walking distance. I absolutely love it at UST and there are a million great ways to get involved on campus!

Nadya

As a transfer student, St.Thomas has been phenomenal, especially compared to the last institution I attended. This is purely because of size, access, and spirit. St.Thomas is the perfect "Goldie-Locks" size—not too big, not too small. Everything is walkable but nothing is crammed, everyone is approachable yet everyone is individual. St.Thomas sits right by the Mississippi River between two thriving cities, Minneapolis and St.Paul allowing endless opportunities for jobs, recreation and entertainment. Overall, St. Thomas has an universal jovial spirit that is shared mutually by all, and brings avid enthusiasm to all employees, students, families and alumni throughout departments and extracurriculars. St. Thomas, could however improve in diversity and in the arts.

Newal

I really enjoy going to the University of Saint Thomas. The people here are really kind and helpful, so are the teachers. There are also so many services on campus to ensure that you are doing well in your classes! Also, there are so many clubs so its not hard to make friends or find your own niche! Love it here!

Linda Starr

University of St. Thomas allows me and my peers to grow mentally and emotionally. From school events to out of school events not being able to find a celt student is impossible. The vibe St. Tomas gives us the students allows us to be informed and get involved in day to day events. Overall, UST is a great school built in a great environment.

Holly

Aside from the price, St. Thomas is an amazing school. Professors in the departments I have been in are fantastic and caring about their students. The resources the university provides are amazing and extremely helpful for students no matter what their needs are.

Christina

I love St. Thomas! It has high quality academics and most of the professors really care about their students and are known in their fields. There is a great alumni network, too! St. Thomas is all about networking and establishing connections. I wish the school cared more about the arts as they don't even have a theater, but the music program, although small and not well known, is great! Roll Toms!!!

Michaela

It's a great school! I really enjoy the smaller class sizes because it lets the professors get to know you better and helps you connect more with your classmates as well. There is almost always a school-sponsored event going on every weekend, and plenty of places to go nearby or a short car ride away. Overall I love it.

Mariah

It's a good school, and they give out a lot in scholarships every year. If you find being in a religious and strict environment important, this isn't for you. If you are interested in being in a religious, but open environment, with some drinking and drugs (but not to an extreme), with a lot of opportunities for free food and things, this is the place for you.

Airianna

My opinion of St. Thomas is that they have a great since of community and learning around us. The academics can be challenging but worth it. Giving us great opportunities during school and when we graduate from here. If you would like to study abroad we have great programs to do that. And we all come together to cheer on our sports teams and other organizations on campus.

Michelle

Overall, I love St. Thomas. It has provided me with a lot of opportunities as a commuter and I enjoy the small class size. The dorms are okay, I've heard, and the food is amazing but overpriced! A lot of the buildings are newly built, so its nice. However, since they are planning on reconstructing a lot of the buildings on-campus, the tuition has sky-rocketed!

Aaron

Saint Thomas is such a wonderful school. The people and professors are outstanding. Classes are quite expensive but very much worth the money put in. I would recommend this school to anybody of all different cultures and ethnic backgrounds. The school does very well at making sure everyone is involved and gets the opportunity to get involved with greater activities in the area as well as around the world!

Harrison

UST is overall a pretty great school. The students there are incredibly accepting and open-minded, and unless you're outwardly racist or something you are probably going to fit in just fine. This is a Catholic Liberal Arts College after all. Social life is probably a 4/5, but living on campus really helps in meeting people and making friends. Parties are rare in the sense of wild house parties, mostly just dorm parties, but even those can get a little rowdy and fun. The U of M is nearby too and there's always plenty of stuff going on over there if that's your scene. Everything else is an easy 5/5. The professors are brilliant but still make it easy to understand the subjects they teach. Overall it's a great school. And it's beautiful in the Spring-summer-fall parts of the year. Looks like everywhere else in Minnesota during winter though. Not much you can do about Minnesota winters.

Ariana

I like the University of St. Thomas, because you get high-quality academics, but you also don't miss out on the typical college life. There are so many ways to get involved, and they make it easy to meet new people and make new friends. However, I think they could do better on diversity. I do not think it is the fault of the institution, but some of the students could be more open-minded to people who are not their white, upper-class, suburban peers.

Olivia

The university of St. Thomas in Saint Paul is a school full of opportunities. The small class sizes and professor availability makes the learning environment accessible to all and enjoyable. It's a big enough school so you don't know everyone, but walking to class you'll always see someone to say hi to. There are a variety of activities both on campus and in the surrounding Twin Cities, making it a great area to go to school. The residential area of the campus is safe and comfortable and the weekends are always a blast! Over fifty percent of the students study abroad and their study abroad programs are some of the best in the midwest. I'm extremely happy that I chose St. Thomas as my college and would highly recommend it to others.

Damiondre

For most, it is an amazing place to be. I am a student of the Dougherty Family College program which helps low-income students receive a quality education. The Dougherty Family college has a wonderful curriculum, amazing professors who want their students to succeed, and lastly, fun-filled events that take place after class. Every student is encouraged to get involved.

Shannon

It's Great! There's a bunch of ways to get and stay involved. Great communication available with administration. Professors are very personable. They keep good office hours. The on campus food is great. The housing is good too. A plethora of available services for students.

Madison

I attended the University of St. Thomas my freshman year of 2018-2019. I will now be transferring due to the following review. St. Thomas is located in the middle of a city, without any security against the people who live around it. There were racial issues, which made me incredibly uncomfortable and unsafe. A religious statue was vandalized, even though it’s a private Catholic school. Then, within one week, a gun was found in the bathroom and there was a bomb threat. The gun belonged to a staff member and the bomb threat only caused cancelled classes after the third call from the person making the threat. As the year progressed, I felt more and more unsafe and comfortable being there. Though, some other facts are incorporated, including housing and dining. The dorms on campus are very old and many sophomores are forced to find their own housing (such as renting a house) because they don’t have enough room on campus. There are four dining options, but only two actually accept the meal swipes and the other two require you to use dining dollars. The last thing I want to include is that being a private school, the school claims to have small classes. It was true with my spanish class that had 8 kids, but in general courses, this is inaccurate. My chemistry class was a lecture of nearly 80 kids, making it very hard to learn. Overall, some people may like the school, but I was not impressed during my freshman year.

couple weeks into my freshman year and it's going fine so far. classes are tough, lots of homework, but it's to be expected with the classes I am taking. I live on the South Campus and I wish there were more options for dining on the south campus.

Sophia

Endless opportunities to thrive at what you do. Lots of chances to get involved in research, study abroad, or extra curricular activities. Business and Engineering schools probably have most money for scholarships, grants, and facilities. Business department has lots of money to invest in students. I suggest prospective students to go on visists. There are many opportunities for such.

Skyler

Overall, the campus is amazing. The proffessors I have met so far have all been extemely nice and helpful when you need them and the campus itself is beautiful. There is Grand Street walking distance with so many restaurants and shops nearby. The people there are amazing and so nice and there are a ton of groups you can join and If you don't like any, it's so easy to create your own new one!

It is a pretty good school with lots of opportunities to get involved. The teachers are amazing and super caring, and there are always activities going on. Students like to have fun but also are involved academically. The class sizes are very nice and professors are easy to talk to.

Katie

The University of St Thomas - Saint Paul is an incredible school! I highly recommend it. My two younger sisters and I all went to UST and we all loved our time there. It is an academically rigorous university and attendance is required in most classes. If you choose this school, be prepared to stay engaged in class, participate as much as possible, and study daily! Aside from education, the facilities on campus are top-notch, I recommend checking out the fitness center - it's huge and so beautiful! There is a ton to do off-campus, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. If you're looking for more nightlife it's only a quick drive from the University of Minnesota's Dinkytown! I cannot recommend this school highly enough!