Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Oluwabukola

Upper middle class caucasion students.

Upper middle class caucasion students.

I would tell myself to not overwhelm myself with courses. To not only be involved and excel academically but take time to invest in freindships. To seek out early on like mided people on campus who I could see myself being friends with for years past college. To truly enjoy my non major classes and try to learn and grow in the required religion and philosophy courses.

Someone who does not like a large amount of structure or outside influence on life descion, academically or socially

Elise

The University of St. Thomas is a prideful liberal arts school that prides in job placement for students after college.

Never ever let anyone influence your decisions. Stick to your gut and your passions and you will end up in the direction you want to go. And read, because I always wish I was able to add more to conversations with others. I wish I were more knowledgable in a variety of subjects and a better writer. If I were to suggest anything to myself, those would be the two things.

Most of my classmates seem to be very liberal.

Most of my classmates seem to be very liberal.

I would encourage high school students that are preparing for college to think a lot about what they may be interested in studying and pursure a school with this program. I have seen a lot of students waste a significant amount of time and/or money at college becasue the school they went to didn't offer what they desired to study. Also, I would suggest being very attentive to the courses they choose once they begin college. I have wasted money on taking classes that end up being fulfilled by a different class I have to take, when if I would have planned out my course plan more in advance I could have saved time and money. Lastly, I would encourage students to be bold in finding a group of people right away who share the same beliefs and morals as they do. Having support is very important to help you maintain what you hold to be true, but also to grow stronger in character. It is also significant for you to be able to support and encourage others in what they believe. This will help you be the best student and person you can be.

The Catholic Studies Program is so wonderful and Sitzmann Hall, a building for it fosters such a great community environment.

I woud tell myself that everyone is different and not everyone will like you. I would tell myself about men and the damage that negative relationships can have on all aspects of life and I would also councel myself to wait for the right guy and not just jump into something because they show interest. That I should wait until I find someone who I am compatible with, someone who doesn't want to control and/or change me. Also I would tell myself that drinking and drugs are not cool and just lead down dark paths. I would explain that even if you aren't imbibing and you have friends that do, watching them traverse through those shadows is almost as bad as doing it yourself and all that pain and disappointment can wear you down. I would tell myself to be as bright, happy, and responsible as I can be and to surround myself with people who mirror and facilitate these qualities. Oh and of course, STUDY STUDY STUDY.

Anyone who is primarily interested in research, this school is mainly focused on the business, law, and other marketable majors that result in connections.

The worst thing about my school is that while if you are obviously a student the other students and faculty are kind and inviting whereas if you are not a student you aren't treated with any regard at all. It's kind of like a tight knit family or clique and has a reputation for snobbery.

Christine

My school is not too bing, but not too small. It is catholic. I love the people! It is a classy, high end school but you don't have to be wealthy to attend. I always feel welcome! The professors and faculty are wonderful! There are many resources for students to use.

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would warn myself that I will get very homesick once in college. But I would also tell myself not to give up or be discouraged because it is all going to get better and be worth it in the end. I would tell myself to look forward to the opportunities, friendships, and challenges college would bring but also to cherish my time at home with friends and family. The little things are what matter. I would tell myself how proud I should be of myself for all I have and will accomplish.

I wish I would have known how homesick I was going to be.

Ryan

I have intelligent classmates that are engaged in classroom participation; which in turn helps the class as a whole, learn more effectively.

Ryan, take the time to realize what you want in life because it will make the next 4 years, the best you've ever had. Reflect on what makes you happy and what you enjoy doing. Take some time to research a field your interested and ask general questions to a professional in that field about their work. Think about your moral values that were instilled by your parents and how important they truly are when deciding on a university. These are the factors that should make up your choice in a university because everything else will come naturally. Knowing what you enjoy doing will help decide on a school that offers YOUR kind of program, but the key is to find the school that also gives you the impression of upholding moral virtue. In the end you made the right decision in choosing the University of St. Thomas. As a catholic institution they provide both the religious and moral values that you are looking for in a university. This, along with their well-known academic programs will allow you to form life-long friendships and guide you to a long fulfilling career.

What I enjoy most about St. Thomas is the sense of community not only with my fellow classmates, but also within the surrounding neighborhoods. It's easy to feel the communities presence by walking around the streets surrounding the campus. The fact that we are a smaller school, allows for effortless friendships in and out of the classroom that makes St. Thomas feel like a second home to a lot of us.

Scott

My overall opinion of St. Thomas is that it is a wonderful school. I feel that St. Thomas is one of the best schools around because it is student oriented instead of research oriented. What I mean by this is that the professors are expected to be more available to students in order to help them learn and answer questions outside of the classroom. I have always found the professors to be willing to accommodate the needs of the students and make time to help them outside of the classroom. What I also like is that as an undergraduate student, you still are being taught by professors with PhD's and not TA's like you probably would be at a larger school. Outside of the scholastic aspect of the school, I find the general atmosphere to be welcoming and warm. Students and faculty tend to have great pride in the school and this is probably helped greatly by the fact that during the last few years, the St. Thomas sports teams have been performing phenomenally. The lacrosse team won back-to-back national titles in 2009 and 2010, the men's basketball team won the national championship last year, the baseball team won the national title in 2009. The football team has gone to the semi finals for the NCAA championship the last 3 years in a row and the coach Glenn Caruso just won the DIII coach of the year for the second year in a row, becoming the first coach to do so. The St. Thomas club rugby team that I play for has gone to the national tournament the last three years in a row, finishing in the top 8 in 2009 and finishing ranked 14th in the nation this year. It is also evident that the school is growing and conscious of the changing times because they just built a brand new athletic facility last year with state of the art equipment and just this month finished the new student center which will generate a lot of interest in the school for perspective students. I feel that the size of the school is something that it has to it's advantage. It has about 11,000 students total, around 6,000 of those being undergraduates. This size means that you are always meeting new people but you are also able to see friends and acquaintances around campus regularly. The one thing that sold me as a prospective student is that it is an unbelievably beautiful campus in a metropolis. I was not expecting a University in an urban center to be so aesthetically pleasing, but it is evident that St. Thomas takes great pride in it's appearance. Also, something that is generally helpful, especially in Minnesota winters is that the campus is not too big. Unlike many other campuses, it is not sprawled over a large area, but more compact. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other. I believe that St. Thomas is just the right size, being between the size of a really small campus and a large campus.

For being a smaller, private college, St. Thomas has quite a bit of diversity. I believe that being in an urban center may help this. First of all, even though the school is technically a Catholic University, many different religions are present and are not discriminated against. Many different denominations of Christians are present. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and many other religions as well as atheists contribute to the student body and faculty of St. Thomas. There are also clubs for just about every religious group you can think of as well as other student groups such as ethnic groups and LGBT groups. St. Thomas works hard to make sure that every student feels welcome on campus and has a support group if they wish to utilize one. Even though there are all different groups represented at St. Thomas, the majority of the students are from Minnesota and Wisconsin with a smattering of students from all different parts of the country. Also, there are many foreign students studying at St. Thomas. Most foreign students at St. Thomas are from Asia and Saudi Arabia and different parts of the Middle East. There are also students from many different areas of the world but these are the most well represented groups on campus. If you were to generalize who students associate with, it would be easiest to say that most students hang out with other students they know well through a group, club, sport or major. This by no means suggests that students are "clique-y" because although people tend to make friends through the groups they participate in, you also have an easy time making friends in other ways such as through your dorm hall as a freshman or classes.St. Thomas really makes an effort to get it's students involved on campus and gives many opportunities to do so with the many clubs, groups, and sports teams on campus. Many students do participate in some group or another on campus. Even though it is a stereotype that St. Thomas students are all rich kids from the suburbs, it is not completely true but stereotypes are there for a reason. Many students are St. Thomas come from families that are in higher socio-economic classes. A majority of students can be considered middle class and above with the minority of students coming from lower middle class and underprivileged families.

The classroom atmosphere is very personal at the University of St. Thomas. The normal class size is right around 20 students. The largest class I have been in had 150 students, and the smallest class I have been in had 8 students. In every class, the professor went to great lengths to get to know the students and every professor I have ever had has known me by name, even the professor teaching the 150 student class! St. Thomas is also considered to be very well respected for it's academics. The Opus College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB). It is also strong in the sciences and liberal arts programs. St. Thomas is also home to the St. John Vianney Catholic Seminary. The graduate school also has a very well known business school and law school. The classes at St. Thomas are definitely competitive, but not overly so. St. Thomas pushes for academic excellence and the students mirror this value. The classes at St. Thomas are generally academically challenging and students generally study between 10-15 hours per week but this is obviously subject to each students study habits and the difficulty of their subject matter. Some students study much more than this and some study less, but it is up to the student to keep their grades up so it is completely up to their discretion. The professors generally do a good job of assigning work that keeps students up to date and doesn't let them fall behind easily. I am an English major with a business minor so my studies include quite a bit of reading and writing, but I enjoy this sort of work and so studying is not something that causes me much stress. My major provides me with many course options and they can have quite an immense range. Probably the strangest and most interesting class I have taken as an English major would be the course centered on the Badman in African American Literature. I took this class to satisfy a diversity requirement but it really opened my eyes to the realm of folklore and the theme of the Badman in African American Literature. The stories we studied in this class were unbelievably odd and not something I expected from a Catholic University because they got to be more than a little risque and dark. No matter what major you decide to pursue, you will find interesting classes to take. Also, no matter what major you take, you will have a support system of professors, students and counselors to help you every step of the way. St. Thomas also has a very good network to help you find a job after you graduate and the courses that are offered are mostly geared to being practical in helping you find a job after you graduate. Overall, the St. Thomas community is very supportive and willing to help one of their own.

The biggest stereotype that I hear about St. Thomas students is that we are all just a bunch of privileged rich kids from the suburbs. Although you do meet some people like this at St. Thomas, it is by no means the norm. You will find people from wealthy families at any school,but there might be a few more at a private school like St. Thomas for the mere reason that it is a more expensive school than some others. Overall, the students at St. Thomas are from all parts of the spectrum. There are rich kids whose parents pay for everything they need, but there are also students like myself who are attending St. Thomas because they were offered scholarships and we pay for everything else by ourselves with little or no help from our parents. I like to hear about this stereotype because I believe it is inaccurate and I like to point out to whoever is accusing me of being a privileged rich kid that I actually pay for school 100% on my own and have no financial help from my parents and I am not from the suburbs, but from corn country southern Minnesota. That tends to make the accusers think twice about how they perceive students from St. Thomas.

Therese

If I could back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the most important factor when deciding where to go to school is what the school has to offer. The location, size, and majors are all other important aspects. However, the first priority I would want myself to have in a school is their reputation and how challenging it is. You get out of school what you put in, so I would want a great school that is academically challenging and one that encourages me to do more than just doing homework and taking tests.

When I brag about going to the University of St Thomas, I focus on how great of a school it is known for being. The University of St Thomas has such a great reputation because it is very academically challenging and it's the best liberal arts school in Minnesota as well as being one of the best liberal arts schools in the United States.

The University of St Thomas is an amazing school because of the location and what the school has to offer. I love the perfect location; in the middle of St Paul. The campus is five minutes from downtown St Paul and also five minutes from downtown Minneapolis! I, also, love what the school has to offer. This size is perfect, a little over 5,000 undergraduate students. The size allows for great relationships between professors and their students.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.