Costa Mesa, CA
Vanguard University of Southern California

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Vanguard University of Southern California

Corinne

If I could give advice to my high school self, I would tell myself to take high school as seriously as possible. I would tell myself rather than take electives and easy classes senior year, take classes that will mean more and be more helpful in my college career. Instead of taking Floral Design, Environmental Issues, and Early Childhood Education, I should have taken more foreign language classes or more math classes. I would want myself to know that taking those classes would be more helpful in my future than the electives that I took. College life would be much smoother and easier for me if I had taken my senior year of high school more seriously than just taking electives and taking the easy way out because of "senioritis". If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to straighten up and take senior year seriously, because it would pay off more in the future.

Laura

Vanguard is less than 10 minutes from 3 different beaches!

Vanguard is less than 10 minutes from 3 different beaches!

I wish that I had known how small the campus really was. I thought it would be bigger. However, because it is such a small school, the community is great. It's a great school if you want to grow in your faith and make lifetime friends while still learning and broadening your education.

Jacob

My classmates are like my own little family that I can talk with about my personal or school problems.

First off, I would have put more interest in taking the AP exams. Being a high school student, I got lost in friends and sports and was not even thinking about college until my last six months of high school. With that said, I would have tried to prepare myself more by looking into schools ahead of time, visiting them, and applying for more scholarships. Secondly, I would tell myself to spend more time accepting the fact that I might actually have to leave home, so that when the time comes I would be prepared and ready to face what the kind of curve balls the world would throw at me. Lastly, I would try to relax and enjoy my last year of being a senior, but still be motivated and diligent to get my school work done. In doing so, it would better my chances to getting accepted into all of the colleges that I applied to.

The community is one of the best things at Vanguard. The university has done extremely well by making students feel like they are in a safe and friendly enviroment. If it were not for the community at Vanguard, I probably would have gone to a different college. Students, faculty, and staff really want to get to know everyone on a physcial, emotional, and spiritual level. That is why Vanguard University has one of the best student and staff communities.

Ashanti

Vanguard University is best known for their Christ-Centered atmosphere. You have the intimate community amongst other Christian students who can be influential and helpful in your lives. Vanguard is not only a great school that’s challenges you mentally, but it’s also a place that challenges you spiritually in your walk with God. It’s a place to guide you into being Christ-centered and fulfilling the purpose and Goals God has for you besides getting your education along the way.

Time is valuable; it’s something you can never get back. In saying that, learning to allocate and balance your time is an imperative thing you should do. Procrastination can get the best of you and if you’re not organize e.g. homework, studying, projects, etc. it can all catch up eventually and leave you overwhelmed. That also goes for doing stuff at the last minute. If you know you have a project or research report paper due in a couple weeks or months, don’t wait until the last minute to do so. It can cause unnecessary stress and professors will know if you rushed on your assignments, its evident in what you turn in. When given the assignments, its best to start working on them little by little every day. Being in college is totally different than high school. Meaning you are accountable for everything you do; turning in homework, taking notes effectively, studying effectively, and asking for someone’s notes if you’re absent. Not only is college a great experience, it’s a place that determines what type of future you will have. Make decisions wisely and make the best of it.

Students are given wash cards to load money into them; that’s the only way we could use the washing machines. The worst thing about Vanguard would be the inconvenience of not being able to load money into the wash cards to do laundry. There is times where the wash card machines are not working, and it could be frustrating when all the wash card machines are out of service. Therefore many students cannot do laundry if they don’t have any money on their wash cards.

Cara

I would tell myself to step outside of my comfort zone a little bit more and make new friends. I would advise myself to stay up later for those late night talks, keep a steady job during college, and work hard at everything I put myself to. I would say to get creative both in my academic life, as well as eating in the Caf. I would also say to not waste valuable time, this is time I won't be getting back, so take up a hobby for those times when I have nothing to do, and challenge myself in a new and potentially unfound skill. But mostly, I would tell myself to not be afraid. Be fearless.

My high school self never gave much consideration to college. At the age of 15, I was advised to leave the world of education behind by my high school counselor. He claimed that "some people just weren't meant for an education". I believed him and gave up any hope of higher learning... or of any sort of academic education at all. I dropped out of school and dove headfirst into a full time job. Looking back, I wish I could have told my younger self that no one is incapable of learning. That everyone and anyone is 'meant' for an education, if they are lucky enough to have one offered to them. I would have told her that no one person, besides herself, could judge her abilities with any true conviction. Chiefly, I would have explained to her that she was capable of ANYTHING that she put her mind to, as long as she was willing to put some real effort towards that goal. Despite the setbacks I encountered after leaving high school early, I have proven that I am indeed very capable of an education. High grades and my newfound love of learning have made that quite clear.

Molly

I am currently attending Frederick Community College; I am in my third year. I will be graduating with my associates degree in general education/ undecided. I now know that when I attend Salisbury in the fall of 2012 I will be majoring in marketing. I would go back in time and tell myself that marketing is what I will end up majoring in in the future so I didn’t waste my time with all of the other unnecessary classes. I would have also told myself to take FIVE classes instead of four! I believe this is the main reason that set me a year back. I will now be graduating college a year later than I should be because of this. I learned one important thing about myself which is I can handle more than I expected! I hope I will be chosen for this scholarship. Thank you very much.

Marina

Dear Marina, I know that you are anxious to get out of high school and move on with your future, but I want you to be proactive and take time to focus on what you want to do and where you want to be. You have a habit of leading with your heart and not your head so I want you to remember that you can use both when you make decisions. As you are about to go into college it will be easy to forget what you have learned but I would like to encourage you to hold on to your values and keep in touch with your family so that you can remain grounded as the world tries to shake you. FInd friends that will uplift you and support you. Stay away from people who want to use you and break you down. Do your best to get involved so that you are not wasting time being bored. Try to focus on other people and not just yourself and your own problems. Don't be lazy, get a job and help yourself. You have a lot of potential when you go somewhere new. Love youself and others.

The worst thing can sometimes be the best thing at the same time. Vanguard is a very small university and that can be frustrating but while that is hard there are moments when I would never consider going to a school larger than Vanguard because of the small and welcoming community.

Vanguard University prides itself on being a college that treats students like people not simply numbers. Someone who wants a great education but also wants to feel cared about specifically should attend this school. The faculty and staff at VU invest personally into each and every one of their students, so it is a wonderful environment to learn and to grow.

Sydney

If I could go back in time to talk to my High School self about college, I would say many things. First, I would say is, “Don’t let others change your decision on where to go for college, choose what best suits you rather then what makes others happy.” I would also tell myself to, “Make sure you get involved with the school. That means sports teams, school activities, living on campus, and making your presence known at the school.” Next I would tell myself to, “Work hard and do not slack off because it can only hurt you in the end. Your education is important and with the money you are spending on school be sure to make it worth your time.” The final thing I would tell my High School self would be “Make the best of your experience, and don’t hold back. This is your opportunity to get a fresh start, to be whomever you want to be, and leave the past behind.” If I could go back to talk to my high school self I could only hope that I would listen to the advice given because it could make a world of difference.

I wish I had known the requirements of going to this school. I came in only four days before school began which ment i didnt get the chance to go over all of the rules and requirements. The rules and requirements are not bad at all but i feel as though I would have been a little more organized if I had known them from the start.

Anyone with a religous view. This is a Christian school so many of the classes are based off of the professors religous views but we are not unaccepting to those who are not Christian. we accept everyone into the student body and all the students are very kind, helpful, and including. This school would be great for anyone but it would definately lbe best for those with Christian views or like religons

Vanguard University of Southern California administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.