Springfield, OH
Wittenberg University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wittenberg University

Andy

This is a great school. People love it here. I am excited to move off-campus into an apartment next year.

Witt students are laid back. Most of them are into activities. I have a few friends who are greek, but most are not.

Yes- I am super busy all the time.

Most of my faculty are great--willing to help me. Especially my bio profs--they are awesome. Of course, a few a total dorks, but they seem to be helpful.

I stay here every weekend. I didn't think I would, but it is fun here. I like to hang out with friends, watch movies, catch a game, and study. I need to study a lot--especially on Sundays. Last weekend, a group of us went to the football game--ROAD TRIP. It was crazy.

We are very active--over committed

Smack dab in the middle of campus, there is the first building of the univeristy, Meyers Hall. It is this massive red brick building with hugh white columns in front, and a bell in the copola. That bell only rings twice a year: during freshman orientation and during senior graduation. And it is the coolest sound you will ever hear. Not because the bell is special and plays the theme song from the Brady Bunch, and not because it is the loudest bell on the planet, and not because it is made out of pure gold (which it isn't!) That bell is so important because it means that you've become a part of something greater than yourself! It hearalds you into the Wittenberg family and with arms wide open, that bell opens every door on campus to every student providing them with every resources and opportunity available. Then at the end of your four years, it serenades you as you walk to recieve your diploma and head off to your future. It doesn't say goodbye, but simply "see ya later" because let's just face it--once you are a part of Witt, then you are a part of it, as much as it is a part of you, forever.

There are 150+ student groups on campus...we are diverse...enough said!

Pretty much, Wittenberg is FABULOUS! Here, you find people who are passionate about what they do, and they want to share that passion with everyone they can. We truly do embrace our motto "Having light we pass it on to others" in that every individual has something to offer, and here at Witt you get the chance to really cultivate and expand that light, so that when you graduate you can take that light and share it with the world!

While we may be a campus that does tend more toward the prep and sporty sides because we love to be active and social, there are students from all walks of life here, and as long as you are looking, you will find a niche to fall into.

Let's just be honest....I have every single home phone number of my professors! And their email at school and at home, their cell numbers, sometimes even their address....! That is the type of prof that we have here...the type that actually cares about having their students come visit them in their office, the type that yearns to become a resource to advance the learning of their students, and the type that makes their classes fun. I mean, where else can you find freshmen seminar classes on coffee, Disney movies, the American west, fishing or cave exploration?!?!

This is a college campus, therefore there is someone to hang out with and something to do any time of day or night...except for maybe 6 am on a Saturday! A lot of students tend to hang out at sporting events or at music events and concerts going on around campus. One thing we are not, is a suitcase college where students pack up a bag and their laundry and head home for the weekend. There are always people here, especially on the weekends when there is lots going on.

One could say that the typical Witt student is either a jock or a prep...but that doesn't always hold true! Here at Witt, everyone kindof marches to the beat of their own drum....just because I'm a French major doesn't mean that all I do is hang out with the international students (even though they are some fo the coolest people on campus!) but I get to hang with people from all areas of study and different activity types.

Will

THe best thing about Wittenberg is the closeness you'll have with your faculty, friends, and other students. The school is only about 2000 kids. However, you will be challenged academically the same if not more than any other prestigious university or college. You WILL know your professors by name and they will know you as well. We do have a small campus but most of the kids enjoy staying on campus. Between classes kids like to study at the library, go to our coffee shop Post 95, or take a nap in our Hollow!!! The administration is always here to help. The professors want you to succeed and you are NOT a number. The administration such as Financial Aide and Student Accounts understands student dilemmas and will always help you if you have a problem. Overall, very understanding!!!!

Student Body is very diverse. Kids from 45 states last year as well as from all over the world. We have many different Religious groups and denominations represented, so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem. "Witt" wants you to be exposed to these b/c we are a Liberal Arts school (not on the political scale). I know from my perspective that my values have only been strengthened. Kids typically are involved in several clubs. There is complete interaction and really no identifiable 'clicks'. Kids wear whatever they want. Some kids roll out of bed and go in sweats or jeans. Other kids like to get dressed up. It is all your choice b/c no one really cares. Some days I dress up others (especially fridays) i wear a t-shirt and shorts 98% of kids get financial aid here. So there isn't just one type of socio-economic level represented here. The whole political spectrum is represented here!

I love this school! I've made my best friends here, and hundreds of friends for that matter. When you think of college and the fun you'll have in your mind it is exactly like what you'll think. We have everything you'd want right here!!! I don't want to graduate!!

Not at all. Wittenberg is such a diverse school with kids from every backround. You have a great community and students are really proud of everything we do here. Not to many kids think they are better than everyone else. You WILL walk across our beautiful campus and be greeted with several smiles. There is a lot of Spirit and Excitement.

Tough, but yet nurturing. THe Profs here know that you have a a life outside of the classroom. I and many other kids typically study every night and study a lot on the weekends too. Don't worry though you' still have plenty of time to go out on Fridays and or Saturdays. The overall purpose of this school is to help you Grow and the professors here want you to be at your finest academic level possible but they want you to experience the best 4-5 years of your life!

Greek Life is big, but not necessary. Social life is key however. It makes it easier to strive at this school. Opportunities to be involved in anything they want Greek Life, INtramurals, clubs, student Government etc. Parties are Wednesday Friday Saturday

Stereotypes include being rich and stuck up. Also that students can be 'elite'-ist

Bryan

Wittenberg is a place where you'll make your own opportunities. If you want to spend four years sitting in your room, you can certainly do that if you'd like. However, you can also take another path--one where you discover and explore your passions and expose yourself to new experiences. I think I'll recommend the latter path.

For the most part, I think Wittenberg students are a very laid back group of people. I don't equate being laid back to being a slacker, instead I mean that students are easy to get along with. Students come from a wide variety of backgrounds--many come from wealthy suburbs, while we also have many from our own backyard in Springfield. There seems to be an environment for just about any type of student here, even though it may not be a prevailing culture.

A Wittenberg education is definitely what you choose to make of it.

Sure, to an extent--while Wittenberg may not always be the fantasy land we might make it sound like, it's a place where I always feel welcome. It is refreshing to know that I can talk to just about anyone I see on my way to class in the morning.

Academics are very supportive--professors are always encouraging students to stop by during office hours if they need anything at all.

Students find a wide variety of activities--there are the standard college parties for those interested, but many people also explore events on campus such as comedians, musicians, and artists. Wittenberg has numerous common spaces in which students can meet up and have a good time.

Before coming to Wittenberg, I always seemed to hear about how friendly and active everyone on campus was.

Reva

They have one of the best East Asain Studies programs.

They have one of the best East Asain Studies programs.

Make sure you chose a school based on interest. Do not worry about the money. It is more important to get into a career that interests you and by doing that debt can be paid off.

George

Having many well rounded individuals that know how to enjoy themselves but at the same time get their work done.

When trying to find the right school, i would first say to keep all options open and have many back up plans in case your first choice does not accept you. Next when you visit each school, see how the people are at each school by telling whether there nice and get a sense of what the atmosphere is becasue depending on how big the school is will tell u a lot about whether its for you. Finally, fill out and complete all of the scholarship oppurtunities for each school to get the maximum amount of financial aid toward the school you plan on attending.

Erin

The best thing about Wittenberg is the people (faculty and staff included)! If you visit campus, you'll notice that people hold doors for each other. This act holds true to the respect we have for one another. I like the size of our student body too, its small enough to be recognized, but big enough to meet people everyday who can change your outlook on life. I spend most of my time in the physical education building trying to earn my team and NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. My role on the volleyball team has been my most unique experience, because of the level of competitive spirit and commitment my teammates and I share. I am not just a "jock" though, Wittenberg has allowed (and forced!) me to become so much more. It's also great that we get involved in community service! I will always remember my sophomore year when my volleyball team hosted a game against a major national rival, #1 in the country (WITT!) vs. #2. When my team ran out of the locker room for game time, we were greeted with 1400 fans, waving their red rally towels with vigor. Needless to say we "Tigered up" and won the match!

Academic life is great for furthering your education, but student life experiences will shape you into a whole new person! A great deal of my learning and growing has been done outside the classroom, and I really appreciate my peers for that. Its the only time in my life I will be surrounded by 2000 people in my age group, and there is so many social experiences to share here! The kind of student who would feel about of place here would be the student who didn't prop their door in the dorms, or didn't get involved in one of our hundreds of clubs. As a busy athlete I usually wear comfortable clothing to class, but some people like to look nice. Even though I am Catholic, I have grown in my faith here a great deal, especially from talking with students of different faiths. Its not uncommon that people of different religions, backgrounds, financial backgrounds will grow a close bond. We have students whose parents have paid their tuition, as well as donating more to the school, and students who talk about paying their loans off for a very long time. Nobody complains about that, it's worth the financial commitment no doubt.

I moved here in August of my freshman year (2006) and haven't moved home since! TIGER UP!

Yes, actually even more than I expected. I remember in high school hearing about how easy it was to get involved on our campus, and thinking that it was something I probably wouldn't do, being an athlete. Now I am an officer for two different major campus organizations and have met so many people outside of my athletic realm, which is different from high school. Whats also great about the involvement is that people blend well. Different sports teams support each other, as well as greek organizations, and people from all different backgrounds and interests can become the best of friends here at witt.

Professors will know your name by the second week of class, if they don't know you already. My favorite class was a media in politics class, where we looked at real world media and how it shaped public opinion. My least favorite class was an east asian studies general education requirement. Witt students will frequently discuss course material outside of class. Professors are always there to help after class if you need it, and that usually helps me out a lot. Witt will prepare you to do anything you want, I truly believe that. (I have no idea what I want to do though!)

We have a vibrant social life, and it is a lot of fun! Big nights to go out on campus are on Wednesday (academically permitting), Friday, and Saturday nights. There are plenty of other things to do though! Supporting Tiger athletics is one of my favorite alternatives to partying, as well as finding a group to watch a movie with. Students leave their doors open in the dorms, and its a great way to meet new people! Lots of students date, but its not the culture where most of your friends are engaged by junior or senior year. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday you're probably cramming! There are tons of campus traditions, stepping on the seal, a kissing bridge, streaking the hollow, the Witt vs.Wooster basketball game, a CBS walkout, homecoming football, and a beautiful outdoor commencement ceremony.

Witt students are extremely involved! We have a large greek population and a large amount of athletes.

I went to a very small high school, so I was looking for a small college where I could get one-on-one attention. Here, the professors know you by name, and they generally care about how you are doing in class. I wouldn't want to go to a larger university where I am just a number and professors could care less how I am doing in their class.

The majority of students are white, middle/upper class, but there are a variety of others that attend campus. Being white, I have no problem, but I feel that there is enough diversity on campus that others would not feel uncomfortable. On top of that, students here are very warm, friendly, and welcoming. Personally, I wear sweats to class almost every day, but there are others that generally tend to dress nicely everyday. Nobody really cares what people wear, they just dress in a manner that is comfortable to them.

Wittenberg is a great school. I chose to come here for swimming, but upon arriving on campus I chose not to. Even though I do not swim, I am extremely glad I chose this school!

Here, class participation is very common and almost every class I've taken has had an attendance policy. I'm happy about that because for the amount that I pay to go here, I wouldnt' want to miss class because I was lazy or if I could just get the lecture online. I enjoy the small class sizes because I can get one-on-one attention, and professors have a lot of office hours. If their hours don't agree with your schedule, the majority of professors have no problem meeting with you at a time that works for you.

The most popular groups on campus are generally the Greeks and the athletes. A lot of people go to athletic events. Some people party almost every night. If you want to go out, it is not hard to find someone to go with you. On the other hand, there are plenty of people on campus who choose not to drink. For those who choose not to drink, there are two movie theatres in Springfield, along with a variety of restaurants.

That it is predominately white, middle/upper class, full of athletes and Greeks

Brian

Wittenberg is a small school (about 2,000) students, but it's a perfect size. We have a lot of school pride and spirit and love supporting our students (in athletics, plays, musicals, etc.). Most people don't really know much about Wittenberg, they might not know where Springfield is (between Dayton and Columbus), and they might thing that Wittenberg is really expensive (but we have great scholarships, I had half of my tuition paid because of the community service that I had done in high school). But, Witt is a great school!

Although Witt is a small campus (and therefore less "diverse" people), by percent Witt has a lot of diverse people on campus. The relationships I build with people from different countries and of different religions, racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and socio-economic levels was amazing. As a Lutheran-affiliated school, Wittenberg is known for being accepting and open to different people. At Witt, you are not defined by what makes you different, but what makes you part of the community. In my fours years, the people who, in some way, represented a minority group and got the most out of Witt, came to Witt with an open mind, ready to learn, and ready to do things. People who came here only because they heard it was a good place for LGBT students or minorities, or people who came here only to play a sport and were unwilling to get out of their comfort zones, have the more difficult time feeling welcomed and included on campus.

Wittenberg isn't perfect - no school is. But, it's a great place, with great people. I HIGHLY recommend looking at!

At Wittenberg, I knew all of my professors by name (usually by their first name), they care and they make themselves available outside of class (often I would get home phone numbers, cell phone numbers and AOL screen names so I could contact them when they weren't in their office). We are an intellectually-curious campus, and I would often find myself talking about my studies outside of class - however, Witt students don't like to sit in their rooms alone doing homework. Most of the time, the library and all of the computer labs are packed with people who are working on group projects together, or spending time with friends while they are doing work. Wittenberg is a liberal arts school, so you are required to take certain types of classes (in different departments - but there are lots of choices) - Witt prepares people for life more so than just to do a certain job, you leave Witt with an understanding of the world around you and the knowledge of how you fit into the world, you know how to think creatively and critically - skills that are worth their weight in gold.

Witt students LOVE being involved! There are over 100 organizations on campus - you name it we have it. And most students are involved in more than one (most are in several). Greek Life is an option on campus and it represents about 25% of the student body - however, there is no tension between Greek and independent students and friendships rarely change when someone goes Greek. On the weekends most students stay on campus (~95% stay around during the weekend), so we create a lot of events and parties. It is often difficult to figure out what you want to do on the weekend, because there are so many options (and you usually want to do everything). We also have a lot of traditions on campus: the kissing bridge (if you kiss someone a certain number of times on the bridge, you're supposed to get married to them), the seal (we don't step on the seal, in the middle of campus, until you graduate), and streaking the hollow (before you graduate, it is highly recommended that you streak the hollow - I think you can figure out what that entails) to name a few.

Wittenberg students are often said to be good-looking, highly evolved, hard-working (both in the class room, on the field or court, and in life in general), and fun. They are always busy doing things and finding things to do.

Witt is great for many different reasons. Its a small school, but not too small that you are bored with the people here. The size is just right for creating a community atmosphere. Where you know almost everyone name. You have had at least one class where everyone. And you have friends with people outside of your major. There are a lot of cool things to do here, sure there are bars, but Witt is also located in the middle of Springfield, a mid sized city, so there is also a ton of shopping, and many different opportunities to become involved in the community through service. Additionally the Springfield community is welcoming of Witt and many internship and job opportunities are given just to us.

Recently Witt has made a lot of effort to increase the diversity at Witt. We have an excellent exchange student program with representation from many different countries and many different student groups. Additionally, Witt students are from all over the country, LA, Chicago, New York, Florida, all over! The students are also involved politically, a few years ago we had a student actually run for office, this year the presidential election was a campus wide event! The school offers free New York Times newspapers to the students daily. Overall the student body is diverse in thought and in geography.

Witt is a great place. It not only gives you an education but grows you as a person. When I fist came here I had no idea what I wanted to do. I didn't even have a direction, but Witt shaped me into the person I am today. I have made friends here, both students and professors, that I will have forever. I feel like I am prepared for the real world outside of college, and I know I have Witt to thank for that. I would recommend Witt to anyone looking for more than an education. Who is looking to learn as well as to grow.

Not really, yeah sure there are some people who fit the description, but isn't there some at every school. The overwhelming majority of Witt students are nice and kind. We have a tradition of always opening doors for others and saying "Hi" to everyone. We are a community, a family, not stuck up rich kids.

Truthfully, Witt is a hard school. To be successful you have to study and the classes are so small that you cant slack off or the teacher will find out. However, the classes are great and for the size of the school we have a ton of diversity in our programs. The professors are great too, you get to know them personally, and after graduation they are relationships that you maintain as friends. The professors are always there for the students and are always willing to help in any way they can.

Witt puts a lot of effort into social event for students. There are Witt Wednesdays (alcohol free) where there might be a game show in the cafeteria or a band play in Post 95 (the cafe). Also once a year they bring in a major band or artist to perform for Witt Fest, this year it was hellogoodbye. Greek life on campus is big. Sure there is a drinking scene, where isn't there, but there is a lot of stuff on campus that doesn't involve that. Student groups and activities in Springfield like movies and restaurants.

Being from Springfield, I know that it is that all Witt students are rich and stuck up.

Wittenberg University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.