Springfield, OH
Wittenberg University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wittenberg University

Blake

Our school is just right, you can meet a lot of new people on a personal level but its still big enough were you can have your freedom from everyone being in your business all the time.

The student body is great, every student here is unique in their own way. Wittenberg is a place that welcomes self expression.

Wittenberg has changed my life for the better. I love this place.

These stereotypes aren't accurate, Witt students are very hard working and have high standards to follow.

All of my professors that i have had knew my name when i took their class and most of them still do even though the class is over. Classes are one of the best things about Wittenberg, with a large faculty/student ratio the learning experience is great.

The social life here at witt is great, for one when i am in my room my door is always open as is with almost everyone else on the floor. Athletic events are very popular here because our teams are top in the nation and have been for decades. People party here when they want to, if that is what you like to do on the weekend it isn't hard to find a venue to do it at. But along with that their isn't any pressure for one to party.

Some stereotypes are that Wittenberg students just party all the time and don't ever do their academics.

Jordan

The size of the school is perfect. It's big enough to be well established, but small enough to provide the intimate classroom setting that so many students need. Campus is beautiful; however, I wish it were not in Springfield.

Wittenberg is a liberal arts school, so I've found that a lot of the student body are down-to-earth, politically aware, with a good mix of "left" and "right" followers.

Some stereotypes are true, but not many.

Academics here at Witt are great. I have really (for the most part) enjoyed my classes. The faculty are always passionate in their fields, and I have only encountered a couple that never learned my name. I feel the standards for Witt are a little low upon admittance.

Wittenberg is such an active campus at all times. There is always something going on, always something to do or participate in. However, a lot of the campus life (amongst students) is very wrapped up in partying.

Drinkers, Partiers, Smart, Rich, Stuck-up...

Raelyn

College has been very valuable for me. I recently became a single parent of a baby girl. Furthering my education and earning a degree, will help me support my child. Keeping up with college classes and taking care of a child is hardwork. But paying for both is even harder. I'm afraid without scholarships, I'll be forced to take out loans. Getting into debt is one of my biggest fears. I want to be the best mother I can be. In order to do that, I need to continue going to college.

DORANDO

As a minority student and an immigrant from Jamaica I was raised around pure ambition and taught at a early age to set a goal then, without any compromise, attain it. Nothing more exemplifies this aphorism than my Mother?s move from Jamaica to the United States. She left her comfortable white collar job in an insurance company for the sole purpose of improving my brothers and I lives through educations an other opportunities. College taught a lot of life lessons I intend to pass on. A few that come to mind are the importance of helping others as I grow. There has been time when the stress between work, school, and family left me feeling overwhelming. But having a few friends that were supportive kept me on track. The extra motivation can be priceless. Being in that position I can relate to others struggling at different point in their life and always try to lend a helping hand or something as simple as a motivational conversation. It is also a constant reminder of how good time management skills are a necessity in life. Without it, the work load would pile up until it became overwhelming and unhealthy.

Our motto is "Having light we pass it on." This motto was created to inspire students to share their talents and knowledge. Everyone that is familiar with this motto knows that Wittenberg is like one big family. The school is known for its uniqueness and home-like qualities. I have yet to meet a person who does not feel comfortable at Witt. That is one of the most important things about college, because you have to be comfortable on campus.

There are students of different races, different talents, different majors, and different hobbies on our campus. When people come to Wittenberg, they notice that no one looks the same, and that is what college is supposed to prepare you for. Because our campus is so small, everyone is friendly and helpful to one another. We hold doors open for each other, give gifts to each other, and care about one another. It is a really personal school, which is something that every university does not have.

Before I came to Wittenberg University, I had no sense of what of family was. There was trouble at home, and I was begging for an escape. Finally, on August 20, 2009, I arrived on campus as a freshman. Over this year, I have gained friends, sorority sisters, responsibility, and learned things that I never knew. Making the transition educational wise was a struggle for me because the high school that I attended had not prepared me for a private liberal art school education. I struggled through almost all of my classes and found it difficult to read the music in band. However, since then, I have grown to understand French, strengthened my writing, studied religion, and improved my ability to read music. Wittenberg has taught me to step outside of my shell and join clubs such as Swing Dance Club, Concerned Black Students, Union Board, Residence Hall Association, Kappa Delta Sorority, and even more activities than that. I have been granted many opportunities such as being a Resident Advisor for my sophomore year. When I?m at Wittenberg, I feel like I am at home and I know that I am never alone.

Claire

All the schools I looked at generally had a lot of the same characteristics. I wanted a small liberal arts school so that I could get close to my peers and professors and explore different subjects that interest me. But what set Wittenberg apart from the others was the atmosphere. Not only is the campus gorgeous but there's something in the air that made it feel right. The people would walk by and smile even if I didn't know them and I could see myself living here for the next four years of my life.

It has definitely made me step out of my comfort zone. In high school all I did was run track and field and participate in a few clubs. At college, its made me want to try all the new things that it offers and it has taught me how to balance school, work, clubs, and a social life. Before college I thought I would just focus on school and maybe a job...and NEVER join a sorority. Now, I'm in a sorority, have a job, am in Cave Club and Habitat for Humanity, and I'm still able to do great in school. I've taken classes I never thought I'd take and I've enjoyed them. Goin to college has really opened my eyes up to all the great things life has to offer and it has opened my eyes up to how much potential i have.

Not many people like a small school for various reasons so a person attending Wittenberg needs to enjoy a small campus. Also, the person needs to be open to trying new things and meeting people outside of where they normally would. The people at Wittenberg challenge themselves and try as many new things as possible. A person isn't just an athlete or just a science major. People do community service, play sports, have a job, are on the cabinet, are in many of the different clubs. A person going to Witt needs to try new things.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life, I would advise myself to resist senoritis. Getting into the habit in the last year of high school of not studying and slacking off is one of the worst things for someone going to a competitive university. In order to do well at Wittenberg in particular, students need to study much more than in high school. Senior year is when you need to really cement good study habits. Another thing I would advise myself is to not be overwhelmed with the amount of food available. If the freshman 15 or more is gained, you will want to lose the weight, and spend time in the gym that could be spent studying. Third, don't stay up till all hours of the night. Set a good and repetitive sleep schedule. That will help you to be more awake in class, and while doing homework. It also increases your metabolism and helps you stay positive. Its hard to be positive when you are only running on five hours of sleep. That said, Good Luck in college!

The best thing about my school is how small it is. The biggest classes on campus are the science classes, and even those only have a maximum of about 100 people.

I think the most frusturating thing about my school is the lack of snow response. when it snows, they don't salt the walkways very well, and a lot of people slip and get hurt.

Ivy

White, upper middle class, enjoys sports, and is involved in a frat or sorority.

Do not go to a school you know you'll hate just because you got accepted. Get ready for a lot of homework and studying.

I white middle class to upper middle class person that enjoy sports or plans on getting involved in Greek life. But they also have to expect hard schoolwork. Having money provided by your parents is the easiest way to go also.

Maria

My school is small, individual-focused, self-motivated, and somewhat secluded from much of the world, which is very helpful for studying.

Z, don't listen to the people who tell you that you can't make it at college as you are now. You don't have to completely change to impress anyone at Wittenberg. You don't have to drink, go to parties all the time, join a sorority, or secret society. You'll love the college classes and workload that you'll get. Ask the professors for help or for more work if you need an extra challenge! Be brave, but realize that asking for help from advisors, upperclassman, and professors is not a sign of weakness. Besides, you want to get every cent out of college, right? Try out for all those quarky things you couldn't do in high school: swing dance, astronomy, D&D, or international club. Go for walks around campus to see what the town and the school has to offer; you'll find a lot of secret treasures that way. Remember to keep in touch with the family at least once a week. And, for heaven's sake, keep a planner!! It will help you stay on top of your school and social life. Learn a lot, but have fun!

The worst thing about my school would have to be the lack of on campus diversity. Our students aren't opposed to it, but the town around us is pretty ethnically, religiously, and politically bland, so differnt people stick out in a good way. But I'm used to a city with much more character and diversity, so it feels like I'm around the same kinds of people all the time. They are good people, but they all seem the same after a while.

The advice that I would give myself would be to keep an open mind and get as involved as possible. It's okay to keep to one group of friends, but when you branch out and get to know a lot more people, that is when you are having the most fun. It is always possible to drop some activities if you get too stressed out, but at least try to do as much as possible. Plus it keeps you busy so you won't be so homesick! Also, don't go home for the first couple months because it is always hard to go back to school and make new relationships at school if you are at home all of the time. If you truly get homesick, see if it is possible for your parents to come and visit you at school for a couple days, it makes the transition a lot easier. As long as you keep busy, you will make a lot of great new friends and have the best time of your life living it up at college.

Because it is so small, you get to know a lot of people so it is a bit like high school on the social aspect, but there are enough people that you dont know everyone. However, since there are so few people, there can be a lot of drama.

One that is well rounded and likes to be involved in a lot of things. Fraternity and Sorority life is very big, but not necessary, most people play some sort of sport, intramural, varisty or club, and we do like to have fun on the weekends.

Wittenberg University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.