Worcester, MA
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Steven

There are a lot of activities that you can approach and do in the same time as you are studying, for example being part of some sport teams keep you busy and you have enough time to do your work, and at the same time you are doing some recreative things, and I think that is funny and healthy at the same time.

People who don't want to be challenged in their lives, because here you have some obstacles to pass, and that kind of things make you a better and a prepared person.

Jacquelyn

Prestigious school with rigorous programs.

Prestigious school with rigorous programs.

I have opened up as a person and have become a lot less shy. I've made a lot of great and true friends. I feel as if I have learned a large amount of material after only my first year at the school. Of course with most students, I have definitely learned to be more independent by living away from my parents. It has been very valuable to attend because I truly believe that I am shaping a wonderful future for myself by obtaining an awesome education at a prestigious school like Worcester Polytechnic Institute. I look forward to the years ahead where I will take adantage of their project based cirriculum to gain important experience.

Jeffrey

Describing the college transition isn't easy. In some ways, it feels like nothing has really changed. You've been getting more independent, and college is the next step. If I could meet myself before I went to college, I?d have a few things to tell myself. First, balance all of your time. The big one is school and play. Too much school drives you nuts, and too much play makes you lethargic and unmotivated. But balance your play as well. Don?t spend all your time in your dorm room. Hang out with others, work on side projects, that sort of thing. Second, stay true to who you are and what you believe. You?ll meet many different people with different ways of thinking. You can learn from others, but make sure to be yourself. Don?t feel that you have to change for others. College is a scary place at first. Out of your comfort zone, surrounded by people you don?t know, and finally out on your own. Take a deep breath, and take it one day at a time. Soon, you?ll be having the time of your life, making friends, and learning amazing things.

The best thing about my school is the structure of classes. Instead of taking 6 classes for 12-14 weeks, you take 3 classes for 7 weeks. Though you still have the same amount of work, the terms are better by a long shot. It's much easier to keep track of three classes than six, and you can focus more on each individual class. During the week, there is usually one day where you have barely any class at all, which is a great way to catch up on work. I would not want to study any other way.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the housing process. There is not enough on-campus housing for everyone. This is somewhat acknowledged, but the housing department does not like to talk about it. You can still get housing for all four years, but it is likely that at least one year you'll be off-campus. There are houses all around campus, so there are plenty of otherhousing options, but it is still a hassle to go through.

Anthony

My classmates may be from all over the United Statea or perhaps even from a different country and yet they?re all friendly, helpful and competitive math geeks.

My school is best known for its schedule: three classes and physical education class each term for seven weeks and then a week off. It?s great, new classes, new teachers, new classmates, fresh material and books. I?m excited, ready to go for the gusto. I go to class, do the homework, study ... and just as I realize the teacher?s assigning a lot of work and I start feeling like I don't want to study anymore I hear ... "final exam, next week." To which I respond, "sweet, three more classes completed!"

First, take a good hard look at yourself and figure out what you enjoy; then match it with a career. You're always building things or helping people with projects because it's fun. So, engineering has to be the perfect profession, check it out. Also, you can narrow down the college choices by deciding if you want to be able commute home or not. Second: visit the school several times, take your family or a friend. Remember to do a sneak attack and go when there not expecting you. Ask everyone you know and find a student who is attending the college. Go to class and eat lunch with him. Find out what he likes and hates about the school. On a similar note, since music is important, talk with someone who is familiar with the program and director. All of this will definitely make being on campus easier, more comfortable and less distracting. Lastly, realize that the kids in the dorm are there for different reasons. So, seek out people who have similar goals. Schedule study time, find a comfortable space in the library if necessary. Most importantly, find trustworthy students to study and work with on projects.

Andrew

My classmates here are all very driven and motivated as well as being nice people.

The advice that I would give myself if I could go back and talk to my high school self about making the transition to college and college life would be to open up and make friends. The community here is rather close and easy to get to know. Open up to them. Get to know them and become their friends. Network with them, you never know when you may run into them again later in life.

The best thing about my school is the seven week term system. With this, you only take three classes at a time. This allows you to focus more on the few classes you do have. Since the classes are only 7 weeks long, if you do not like it, it will be over soon. If you do like it, it moves at a brisk enough pace to keep you engaged.

James

Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a wonderful school that embraces learning and diversity in students. They support all of the students to explore their interests and pursue their career goals. The people here are very accepting of everyone and there are plenty of opportunities to participate in social activities. There is a large support network and a plethora of opportunities for the students as long as they are willing to get out there and allow themselves to experience college life.

If I could give myself, or anyone, advice as a high school senior, I would tell them to have confidence and enjoy themselves. I was nervous about keeping my grades up when I came to school because I did not have a lot of confidence in my abilities. I would tell myself not to worry about that and put my best effort into all of my work. As long as I study hard and continue to work, I will succeed academically. Also, I would tell myself to make sure that I always put my schoolwork first. Academics is the reason I choose to attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute and needs to be my focus. Keeping that in mind, new students must also remember to enjoy their time in college. So many new experiences and opportunities are available to the students here. So I would tell myself to make the most out of time here by meeting new people and keeping an open mind. I tell myself that I have the ability to excel here and to remember to be thankful that I am attending a school that will allow me to excel in the rest of my life.

I wish I knew that I would be able to excel in this school. When I first came to Worcester Polytechnic Institute, I let its reputation get the best of me. I knew that the work was hard and did not have extremely high confidence in myself academically despite doing well in high school. Soon I came to find that as long as I worked hard academically, I was able to obtain the A's I desired and excel at WPI.

To my High School self: As your future college self, I am here to warn you about the challenges which you will encounter these next few months. Although senior year might feel like a nice, easy break to you, I strongly encourage you to take advantage of the freedom which has been presented to you. What you use this time for will still have an influence on your college?s decision, as well as helping you adjust to the strenuous schedule you will experience once you are in college. College is not all fun in games; you must learn now to balance your activities with your academics, making you a well-rounded individual. Don't slack off as most of your friends might, as optional volunteer services can look good both now and in your future. Also, during my time in college, I am here to tell you that you must begin to adjust to approaching others for help, as you might not be the top student-- and that's ok! College is a true learning experience, and I want you to walk into it well-aware of the opportunities it presents you with. Good luck, and have fun!

Shaun

Before college even begins, you will want to make sure you have everything ready (supplies and whatnot) a bit earlier than the first day there. Organization is key in college life; which is why your desk should be kept somewhat neat when you have extra time to do so. You've been able to get through a number of classes without studying, and you probably could in college too, but I would highly suggest studying anyway. This'll help that difference between a 95 and a 100, if you remember small details in parts of recommended reading. That point difference could save your grade later on when you have trouble with harder material. If you feel stressed out about an assignment, let it go for 10 minutes. Go for a walk, or play some video games.; they're there for that reason. When you feel more relaxed, try the assignment again. If it's still giving you a hard time, find someone in the class or a related one and ask for help, you may be surprised to find that they're more than willing to be of help. Oh, and do your laundry a bit more often!

Before I came this this school, I was quite distraught that I was not accepted into any Ivy League school. After spending time here and learning more about its reputation, I realize (being very interested in research) that my school is one of the top research universities in the nation.

There isn't anything terrible about my school, though I suppose the worst thing the doubled workload throughout the day (as opposed to other colleges), making it more difficult to perform other activies during the day, such as homework or relaxing.

Nathan

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the most important advice I would give myself would be to apply for as many scholarships as possible. When I was in high school I continuously procrastinated on scholarships, with the mindset that I was almost done with high school and didn't want to do more work than I needed to. This was a big mistake, for now im halfway through my first year and already wondering where I'm going to come up with the money for the rest of the year, nevermind the rest of the next three years. I have already drained my bank account, even though I have financial aid and student loans. So the less money I can pay up front the more money I have to take out in loans, and the longer it's going to take to pay them off. I know quality education comes with a big price, and $45,000 a year is most certaintly a big price. So now on my winter vacation I'm stuck doing as many scholarships as possible, praying for some financial relief.

There is not one specific aspect about my school that I could consider the worst. It is a very high standard school, so as expected it is quite difficult. With all of the different resources for help and support, if someone is struggling with school work there is always somebody willing to help. I suppose the difficulty would be the worst part, but that's what is required to obtain a thorough education.

Anybody who is not serious about their education or will not devout life and limb to learn will struggle in my school.

Kyle

WPI is best known for its engineering and robotics academic programs.

WPI is best known for its engineering and robotics academic programs.

If I were to go back in time and give my high school self advice about college life and making the transition, I would first and foremost tell him to make sure and be yourself. You dont have to try hard to make friends or pretend to be someone you are not. It may sound cliche but it is still very true. I would also tell him to quit being very lazy and get his priorities straight because college is much different than high school: you cannot coast through college like you did high school. College education is the real deal. It takes much time, effort, and persistance if you want to succeed and have a great and enjoyable career. The final piece of advice i would give him is just to relax, enjoy himself, and dont stress over things when times seem bad. If you love and enjoy the activities and the major you chose, you wont feel like you worked a day in 4 years.

The classes are very demanding and time consuming and if you do not keep up with your work you will struggle.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.