San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself this: Angela, have you lost your mind? quiting school and getting your GED is the worst decision you could ever make. Going to college is not as scary as you tink it is going to be. You can still go to school and raise a family. Can you imagine how hard it is going to be to raise kids without a college education? what are you going to do when your kids want to follow in your footsteps and quit school? Oh trust me they will, and when they want to get a car?, how about just being able to eat? Well you need to think about this stuff. One day a GED will not be good enough, you will have to have a college education to make it. Why would you want to wait to go back to school when you are almost 40 yrs old, why not go now and begin your life the way you deserve to..

I believe that the most important thing to remember in your search for the the right college is that the college must fit into your life. I am a non-traditional student, returning to studies after having a career and a family. I had to find a college which would work into my busy schedule as a business owner, a mother, a wife and a volunteer. I found this in a college which allowed for me to earn a degree completely online. That college is Ashford University in Iowa. I have been thrilled that I have been able to continue with all the important things in my life, and add college courses as well. This December, I will earn my bachelor's degree. There is no way this would have been possible without the convenience of online courses. By finding a college which fit well with my busy lifestyle, I was able to complete my educational goals.

This question has often popped up on my long lists of, "What ifs?" What if I could talk to myself back then. I know I have made mistakes in my life, and I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that not going to college right after I graduated was the biggest one. I told myself I was only going to take a year off. However, I guess, life happened. I got married, started having children, and ended up working jobs I didn't like. I guess this sounds like a lot of people. I put it off, in the first place, because I thought it was going to be difficult, and it is. However, knowing what I know now, that challenge really isn't as difficult. Therefore, I would go back in time to tell myself not to be discouraged.

The things that I have received from my college experience are patience, self-motivation, committment and perserverance. I know that it will take a lot of effort on my part, in order for me to succeed. I have learned to listen and become open to new ideas. I accept constructive criticism, without getting upset. This experience has taught me to learn at my best and unlearn the worst, which allows me to grow substantially. Meeting new people and learning how to accept how they view ideas and concepts, teaches me how to respect what they have to say and reinforce new ideas of my own. We learn by listening, touching and observing with our eyes. This starts from infancy to adolescence but some of us just want more for our futures. This is valuable because I am prepared for my pathway to success. This experience will last a lifetime.

Go to college once you graduate. If you try and convince yourself that giving yourself a little time before going to college is best for you, I would advise that it is not. Many things can change in such a small amount of time. Opportunities change and life can take a full 180 degree circle and spit you out the other way. Education first, career later. With college knowledge behind you, more career opportunities could be available. Don't procrastinate on school work and keep a time-managed schedule to be on top of things. Study in moderation rather than cramming all at once. Participate in school activities and which could teach you many life lessons and are great for meeting new people and experiencing new things. Live life with a straight and focused mind to lead your in all sorts of awesome directions and opportunities.

As both a parent and student I would tell students to give highschool all they have. Often times young adult high school students do not think that the way they perform in school will impact them as adults or in college; however, I struglled for the first few years of my college degree due to the lack of motivation I applied to my highschool days. As a parent I would tell other parents to ensure that the college decision is a group one. Parents often times have hopes and dreams for there children and really push the child to be what it is the parent wants them to be. Children do not always want to be what it is there parent wants the to be. Parents should except that everyone has different dreams in life and as a parent it is our responsibilty to suport our children in whatever career or school path they chose.

If I could talk to my high school senior self , then I would say good job on not getting caught up in teenage activities that could of harmed me and affect my future. I honestly do not regret any of my high school life because I was a top notch student who card only for his grades and academic well-being. I say if it were not for my good behavior, then I would have gotten my degree now in college. High School prepared me for being somewhat independent about my academics and decisions I must make in order to pursue my dreams. I learned how to get use to working hard and applying detail to my work. My high school was the best at giving me the chance to explore and discover myself before I get to college. I, again, do not regret any history of my high school years because they were worth my whole life and future.

Take your time and research the campuses and their programs. Inquire about the curriculum and course load to make sure it fits with what you are looking for. Also, take the time to find out which colleges offer tuition discounts for unique situations. For example, my college offers a flat tuition rate for every class at a discount because my husband is in the military. Therefore, all of my classes cost a flat, discounted rate no matter what level of class they are. Once you are in college commit to studying hard. College is demanding, much like a job, as it requires time and effort in order to make the most of the experience. You will get out of it only what you are willing to give. By the same token it is rewarding and allows students to continue plunging forward toward the light at the end of the tunnel.

Finding the right college can often be a stressful and nail-biting experience. Many hours are spent deciding which colleges to apply for, and which one to eventually attend. Having experienced this myself, my greatest advice would be to follow your heart. Don't do what others are doing, or go somewhere for the name or location. Go to a place that makes you happy. Most of the classes, teachers, and other students are going to be the same where ever you go. So instead to a college that you may be unhappy with down the road, go to a place where you truly feel comfortable. Life is more about experience than anything. Thats why we go to college. To obtain experience. Thats what employers want, and thats why it is so important. It is expensive, and time consuming, but completely worth all the tears and fears.

I want to be everything my mother dreamed for me to be. And I want to be everything my son will ever need. I know that to accomplish this, I have to start with myself. The growth and discipline I have regained as an adult by attending classes has made me a better mother. I have learned to analyze and interpret again; lesson that dull over the years if we do not keep them sharp. I find myself teaching my son and learning from him. We have met on a new level because he looks to me as a student, just as he is. He is so curious about the topics I study and asks so many questions. I feel as though my return to college has sparked a true interest in learning for him. And if my choice to attend class gives him the motivation to focus better in his own class, then it is the best choice I could ever make.