San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

The advice I would give parents and students is that you should check several colleges background before choosing a particular college for yourself or child/children. First, check to see how long that college has been establish, the creditability in the states, and the history. Second, make sure that the student is going to college for the right reason not for just parties, because a friend is at this college. Let them know that this is for them to get a quality education. Thirdly, check the cost of the college with other before enrolling. The cost of college can run pretty high. College is a place for learning not playing around. Also make sure you check out the dorms and food areas. The walking distance for night classes, the security on campus after a certain time of the day. You should ask about the academics, curriculum, and work study. Work study would help pay for college to cut down on students loans. You can never give enough information about college because it just like the very first day of pre-school. You are starting all over again.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition the advice I would give myself would be that while being on my own has many temptations every decision can have consequences whether good or bad. For example, you may be tempted to go out to parties with friends. While that may be fun if there’s work, that you need to complete that is your priority because that’s why your there. You’re there to get your education and be the first one in your family to earn a college degree. Another example, is that there will be large amounts of financial temptations. For instance, a portion of student loan monies is given to you to help with living expenses while in college. When that happens take only 20% of the total amount given to you each semester and take the rest and start to pay back on your student loan so by the time you’re ready to graduate you would have paid back at least 50% of the actual loan amount you have borrowed. Also, if you could get additional scholarships and grant to lessen the amount needed to borrow do so as well.

I took a year off after high school and only managed to get myself into massive trouble; so the first piece of advice would definitely be, ?Get started immediately!? Taking a year off did nothing but give me time to revel in my own uselessness. Instead of floundering without a purpose, I should have been working towards something. I would be sure to tell myself, ?Don?t stick to what you know?go explore.? One semester I needed an art credit and got ?stuck? in a class called The Art of Jazz. Never have I been a jazz fan, but the teacher was so passionate that it was contagious. I also worked on the campus television station for two years. What could I have found had I actually been looking? The most important concept, and the hardest to grasp, is ?Your education is vital.? I let it slide and screwed around, wasting my parents money, until I found in my third year I was pregnant. I had my daughter when I was 23. I could have been done. Instead, I have been a welfare mom or worked two jobs for my daughter?s entire life and am still in school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would sit myself down, look myself right in the eyes and yell: "Do not be afraid of change!". I would tell myself that college is very different from high school, as it should be expected. The freedom of knowing that you can always go back and do things over again is no longer there, that safety net has been pulled out from under us. I would tell myself how pertinent it is to stay focused and get quality work done on time, and that the procrastination I surrounded myself with as a youth was no longer plausible. But above all else, I would remind myself to smile. To laugh at little mistakes and refrain from worrying over every small issue. I would tell myself to seek solice in my friends and peers. I would remind myself that I was not alone, because we, as students are far from alone. We are many, a force united against the obstacles that barricade our path to success, that college should not be feared, it is a form of challenge that should be welcomed and embraced passionately.

Somewhere around my junior year of college I learned the key to college success. I believe the more people that know this tip would not be scared of education or believe that they have to be a certain amount of intelligence to complete college or even go to college in the first place. My husband had pointed out one day my quirky study habit: I like to highlight each question in every assignment a different color so I know what the assignment is specifically asking of me so I do not skip any required elements. Eventually it dawned on me that all school or college is, is a question and an answer. I then noticed that I am not even expected to come up with the answer by my own intelligence: I am just expected to find the answer in the textbook that the class provided. What? Teachers do not care what my opinion is? What? Teachers want me to learn just the facts? What? Teachers just want me to support my found-answer with the text that they provided or scholarly, credible sources that I can site? My mind was blown; and college has been a breeze ever since.

I would tell my high school senior self to go to a community college. Where tuiition is much cheaper and you won't have to worry about spending thousands of dollars 10, 20, 30 years later, only to end up graduating from a CUNY college with a bachelors degree anyway. I would tell myself to not get caught up in bad company and to stay focused because time flies and before you know it many unproductive years could pass leaving you feeling depressed, unsuccefully and left behind. Don't listen to those negative voices telling you that you can't do any better and you will never be able to reach the level of success necessary to do anything. You will have days when you feel a lack of confidence, and a lack of ambition, but push on. The harder you work today the less of a struggle it will be when you get older. The sky is the limit and only you can hold yourself back. Talk to career counselors and people in your field of interest to assist with goals and aspirations. Stay focused and make sure that what you do can help yourself and others around you.

I would tell myself and as many other students as i could that there are 2 things that are vital to succeeding in post-seconday education. The first is there is a difference between studying and homework. College requires both. Homework is any assignment given in class you do on your own time. Any and all homework assignments must be turned in because the number of assignments given in college is less than in high school so they count for a bigger part of your over all grade. Studying is going over and reviewing things that have been discussed in class. This is also done on your own time. The second thing I would tell myself is learn how to manage your time wisley. Most college professors are not gonna hold your hand and remind you about upcoming papers or projects due. They have given you a syllabus and expect you to use it. If you are not careful lack of proper time management skills will cause you a great many problems. Use the syllabus and a calendar now and begin to stay on top of things so you are not caught off guard in the future

I have learned a lot of things with my college experience. I have learned self discipline, gained knowledge about the business world, the different laws for any type of organization. The significance of human resources, the proper way to plan. I am a volunteer program coordinator for an educational department. With all the coordinating and planning I have to do, the classes I have taken not only showed me the proper way to do the paper work, not only how to set up the projects to where they do not violate certain laws, but how to implement the programs to where they are efficient and effective. These classes helped me a lot, all the information obtained helped me with my planning of a new interactive learning program, fitness program, and the strategy best suited for the online high school diploma program I am currently working on. College has been fun and challenging, it teaches me how to manage my time, how to properly type a paper whether for an essay or a grant proposal. The experience has matured me and prepares me for my future.

As a high school senior I just wanted to leave. I had a business job I was working for and I was going to continue in for the rest of my life. I saw so much opportunity and believed I did not need any college help to continue my dream of becoming rich. I thought there would be no reason to explore options in college, that I did not need any of that. My guidance counselors seemed like a waste of time for me nor did I believe they had my best interests in mind. I was wrong, I should have listened. I went on my way as a high school graduate thinking that this life would be great, I was moving along with promotions at my job without a college degree. My grand dream of the company I worked for decided their dream was over and sold themselves to another company, which did not have the same views. The dream of advancement ended there, and I found myself stuck with nothing more than a high school dimploma and a shattered dream. I should have known this my senior year, and planned better, rather than transitioning to college now.

For parents with prospective applicants for colleges, at some point to sit down with their children and not pick the college of their choice (the parent's choice or alma mater), but find what suits your child the best. Most kids don't know so that in their confusion parents may have to do their own investigating. Parents should take the time to sit and go over questions, comments and criticisms as to what campuses their child would choose and visa versa, where this is time consuming it can give the student a better perspective on what he may want. For students in search of the ideal school, no school is perfect and have high expectations. Meeting deadlines and time management are two of the most essential and vital issues associated with school because studying habits change. The freedom away from home (if the choice is on campus situation) allows new choices and liberty to do what you want when you want. Give it your best shot and try to achieve the highest goal possible and there will be limitless possibilities.