San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

Don't take any time off after high school. Go directly on to college. You will thank yourself later. Take time to acclimate yourself to your school. Get involved with other students that are like minded and have the same sort of goals that you do. Often making these types of friends will help you to hold yourself accountable and establish life long connections. These connections may come in handy later on down the road. Trust your professors but don't be afraid to challenge their thoughts. Professors like to see you participate in class and not just show up. Decide what you love to do and pursue it, don't hesitate because you think you can't do it, there are people all along the way that will help guide you and move you in the right direction. Make college your priority, you have your whole life ahead of you to work. Work if you must but find other ways to help support yourself while in college. Apply for all the scholarships and grants that you can so that you don't come out of college with a lot of debt.

I would not have gone to college right out of high school. I would have taken a year off to travel with an organization or group that would allow me to broaden my perspective on what I want to do with my life. Doing this, I would have also saved my mother a lot of money. By going to college right out of my senior year, I was not responsible and did not have a plan or goal for myself, and ultimately I transferred out of my first college because I was not going to class and was depressed. Thankfully, I went back home for school at a community college and then transferred to Liberty, where I am now. Thing are working out and I'm blessed to have been led to this school! There are many things I wish I had known before college, but honestly, I do not think I would take back the way anything played out because looking back, everything that seemed unfortunate really led me to Liberty where I belonged in the first place. It just took those experiences on the rough road for me to realize it. It all worked in perfect timing.

I would reassure myself of the importance of education. After High School I got a job making great money and thought I was done. It wasn't until I got pregnant and had my own son that I no longer was available to work the 70 hours a week I was working and living in an aggresive neighborhood in Las Angeles, California. I would say, Joleen, you need to think about the future. I would give myself several senarios as to why it is important to go to college. I would be my own educational advicate. I would tell myself how easy it was to enroll. I thought I knew it all in High School and I did not see the importance of continuing my education. I would give myself the advice I gave to my nephew who recently graduated, we live in a very competative time. So many people are going into the work place without going to college. At first your personality and hard work will get you by however, it is your educationa and degree that will help you climb the ladder of success, instead of staying in the same place year after year.

Talking to myself as a senior I would say, "It is not you it is them. Do not let the negative things people have said scare you away from trying because you are good enough. Your mother was wrong. You are not too lazy or too stupid and you actually can do anything you set your mind to. When you go to college you will find out how that you are a critical thinker which is why you feel like you see things differently then everyone else. College may be difficult at times but you have always prided yourself on being willing and excited to learn. Do not be afraid to jump in now because you will eventually build up the courage to succeed. Not only will you regret waiting for so long you will end up feeling extremely foolish when you realize that you have been afraid for a decade for absolutely no reason. Always remember that anything your mother says about you is because of her own issues not because you are a bad person, a stupid person, or a lazy person. You are an intelligent, caring, and honest person so embrace it"

Jamie, this is your future self. I'm here to let you know, you will constantly make the decision to attend school in the future and I want to thank you. These decisions will pay off every single time with great employment, good pay and experience in professions you never dreamed of. Don't let yourself down OK? It won't come for free, you have to work like you've never worked up to this point. I'm your personal telescope into the future and I am telling you now, I am proud of who you became. In such a competitive job market, the only ammunition you ever had to help you pull ahead of the pack was your education and you stock-piled! You showed me that with knowledge, you can go some places, but with education, you can go anywhere you want to. You have to be brave when you feel scared and strong when you feel weak to be a success in this life. You've shown me that you are capable of more than you give yourself credit for. Share your strength with others in your community and with any school you attend.

Dear Young Woman, You may have grown tired of school. You may feel that you need a break. You may feel that you want to go an experience the world. You may feel that you will have plenty of time to go to school, later. Activities with friends are just more exciting right now. This is all understandable at your age. However, I would like to express to you that the summer will end. The exciting events will quiet, and you will be left wondering, "what next?" Do not allow your vivacious spirit to be found working as a retail associate surrounded by regretful women twice your age. Understand that education will be the key to the car that will gain you many exciting experiences that you want. Do not be afraid of the challenge to buckle down for a little longer. This will only be a stepping stone towards your dreams. You can have it all. You can travel the world with education. Establish who you are, free from added responsibility. Whatever you choose, never lose the spirit at any age, that says, "Yes, I can!"

There are many reasons why college was very valuable to me as a person. First, I learned at a young age that the more education you receive, the better chances you have of keeping a job you will love for the rest of your life. I am the first person out of my family to attend college, my father did not even finish middle school and my mother barely got her diploma in high school. Niether parent believes in a college education, describing it as a waste of time and money. Both of my parents have been living every day of their lives reminding me of how much they hate their jobs. I always think that if they had just gone to college, they could of attained the degree and knowledge they need to be experts in the careers where they could of been very happy. I am single mom with a 16 month son and it is often difficult, working full time, taking care of a baby full time, and then paying and attending school full time. I live on my own and it can be stressful but I know its worth it. College changes lives for the better.

I would simply tell myself to have fun, stay focused, work extra hard on the football field and avoid a girl I meet by the name of Bridget. The whole key to a good college experience is to have fun and get out to social events and watch other sports teams play there games and absorb the college experience. Staying focused and working extra hard simply applies to the football field as I did good in the classroom, but to obtain a better scholarship to a better school and live my dream and lkife goal of one day playing in the NFL. As far as avoiding a girl named Bridget do not get into a relationship with her as I threw my life away by having that relationship. I got engaged and threw out numerous scholarships to big schools because I wanted to start my life with her and go to the same college so we could be together. If I avoided this mistake I would be in the NFL right now living my dream and have the life I wanted for myself and being able to buy the hard working people in my family the house they deserve.

What are your plans after graduation? What further career would you consider pursuing? Now that you are a senior in high school make sure you have all your credits for graduation. If you have not already, send off college application and apply for scholarships. Now that I am in college I find myself saying I know this or should know this, I took this in high school. College is not just for the highest G.P.A anyone who are willing to study and genuinely make a change for themselves for a better future should apply. I did not do as well as I liked to in High School I often treated some classes as if I would never see the information again I was wrong. While applying for college I knew there would be challenges and I accept those challenges and overcame them. I study extra hard to keep up due to some slacking I did in high school, but I am now trying to maintain a 4.0. I have set my academic standards high. Never get discourage, if you have big dreams, reach for them. The stars are the limit. You can do it!

I am a parent returning to school to complete a goal of mine and knowing what I know now, the practical advice I would tell the "senior" me, is don't wait! If you decide to start a family right away it gets harder to continue with an education, because "life" sets in, and your education seems to fall to the waist-side. Before long, you are 40 and you yourself have kids that are nearing high school graduation. However, on the other hand, I know a lot more now than I did then. In this regard, much of what I know is that not everybody that received their education right after high school are still interested in those professions. They have changed; their interests then are not the interests they have now, in some cases their education is not serving them well. At this point in my life, I am enjoying what I am learning and I want to learn; not sure that I could have said that 18 years ago. I have zero regrets, but I have a son who is going to be a senior soon, I have and will stand by the advice, don't wait.