Worcester, MA
Assumption College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Assumption College

Carrie

Small, easy to get around, and great professors.

Small, easy to get around, and great professors.

Most are engaged in school related activities and sports.

Take your high school classes seriously and study hard because it will definitely pay off in college. And definitely do not wish your high school days away because college is not just fun and games. You need to take your college classes seriously, because the grades you get follow you throughout life when trying to continue on to graduate school or your other future endeavors. Be open and friendly to new people and thing when starting college, because you never know where you will find a friend or confidante.

Madeline

Assumption College is a four-year, Catholic college that offers a variety of liberal arts majors and minors, and it is focused on forming the person first, rather than the worker.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would help myself better understand the transition. I would want myself to know that every other freshman at the college is in the same situation as you: away from home and in need of new friends. This similarity is something that I would tell myself to use to my advantage, primarily by treating others with the sort of warmth and friendliness that I wanted in return. By reaching out to the other students as soon as possible, the transition to new friends is smoothed. I would also give myself the advice to become more involved in extracurriculars, as this is another great way to ease the transition since it gives you the opportunity to make new friends. Participation in these activites helps to build a support base, so that when a person needs support, he or she won't be relying only on family back at home. This being said, I think that the most important advice I could give my high-school self would be to just be open to becoming the best version of myself, because four years truly does fly by.

The best thing about Assumption is that every student is required to take classes outside of their major so that by the time you graduate, you have taken a bit of everything, from science and math to philosophy and theology, making you a more well-rounded person.

Kingston

Worcester is a college town. I've been to other schools with only one college in it. There is never anything open late on the weekends off campus or anything to really do off campus. Worcester is also the second largest city in MA so there is always cool places to go and usually shuttles on the weekend to take you there.

I would tell myself to go to a school where loans would not be an issue. I received a full ride to a state school and did not attend because I didn't think state schools were "good" schools. In the end, most people end up receiving higher degrees, where the name of the school on it is much more important. I want to be a teacher, so a state school would have been fine, and I wouldn't be so worried about paying when I got out of school all the time. I would have told myself to apply to more schools also, especially since all the schools I applied to were very similar . I also did not apply to any "reach" schools, which I regret.

The small size is good for my classes because I'm an education concentration. I need to know my professors will help me for my MTELs or with pre-practicum projects

Angela

I believe what is unique about Assumption College is the size of the school. Although at times it seems too small, I believe that this is sometimes what is needed. It gives you the sense of family and of knowing most people you are surrounded with. Once you get used to the size and find your place, you are apart of the community; you feel like you are at home.

Dear High School Senior Angela, Coming from a person who knows you well, I would advise you to remember that you are never alone. It is possible to have new friends and keep your old ones. Although the next few months will be scary, as well as nerve-racking, remember that you are stronger than you believe and you are truly a genuine person. Never allow anyone to take advantage of your kindness, your friendship, or your mind. Remember that you are your own person and you do not need anyone to define who you are. As your senior year comes to a close, live it up; don't be the first to let go of an embrace, laugh until you cry, do not forget those closest to you, and do not be afraid to make mistakes. You are a strong girl and I believe that you will go far. Do not be afraid to be your own person. I wish you well. Good luck, A good friend

Meghan

Assumption College, is a welcoming, faith based community that teaches its students to help others and to strive to be the best that they can be in all aspects of their lives.

I would tell myself to be open. Be open to new people, new things, and new experiences. I would tell myself that my life begins at the end of my comfort zone and that all I have to do is take a leap of faith. By doing these things I will have a great college experience and become friends with people I may never have thought possible.

Anyone willing to become a man or woman of character should attend Assumption.

Felicia

Assumption College is a welcoming school with a friendly, comforting atmosphere and creates a well-rounded person for one to grow into through acedemics and other various activities.

I have not started my college life yet, however I already know a few things I wish I had paid more attention to as a senior. I would tell myself to really take the time to study and look over notes taken during the class. I did well enough, but going into college I would want to make sure I had the practice of a much more elongated studying period. I'll need to make sure that I remember to do this going in this fall semester. I would tell myself to make sure to make the best of all of it! I'm sure I will when I start this fall.

I have not attended this school yet, however I have yet to hear one bad thing about the school from anyone who knows about it.

The advice I would give to myself if I talk to my High School self is that there is no need to be in a rush to grow up. As teenagers we want to be adults, and many of us (myself included) started working in high school to gain a sense of freedom and control. I continued working after graduation and put college to the side. Now that I am very much an adult I have to juggle full time work with part time school and all other things that come with being an adult. I wish my high school self could have known how beneficial it would be in the end to go from high school to college and take advantage of my parent's offer to support me during that time so I could focus, instead of insisiting on being independant. Adult life will be easier if you take advantage of your teenage life.

Alyssa

My classmates are welcoming, intellectual, and privledged.

My classmates are welcoming, intellectual, and privledged.

I would tell myself to be open to new experiences, and to not eat so much dining hall food!

A student who takes academics seriously and is looking to be involved in a close scholastic community.

Erin

It has easy access to the city for fun activities but the campus itself is quiet and surrounded by woods and nice neighborhoods rather than buildings and loud noises. It is a small school, so everybody knows each other and I never like a small fish in a big sea.

Stop overthinking and worrying about every single little detail. You do not need to choose a major before going into college. There are so many people here who have no idea what they want to do, and that is completely fine. You have two years to declare a major, so take a bunch of different classes and find out what you like and what you are good at, rather than picking a random major and going into it full force. You are only going to end up realizing you do not like it and changing your mind anyway. When it comes to making friends, just be yourself. Do not try to act like a whole new person just because nobody knows you from high school. Being yourself and letting people get to know the real you will help you form real friendships that will actually last more than the first few weeks of college. Join more clubs and try to socialize with different groups of people. Finally, try to find a good balance between your social life and your academics. Your education is the most important thing.

Sometimes I feel that all the money we pay to go there is being put towards unnecessary things while the things that we need more are suffering.

Athena

I love my classmates. It is great to get to know them on a more personal level then just knowing someone as the person who sits next to you in a specific classroom

Reallly learn the lesson being taught. I learned a lot of things in college that I learned in high school. In HS, really understand and learn the material, do not just memorize something to get the grade, but memorize it to memory and not just for the test. In HS you can get away with just memorizing, but in college, you need to fully understand the material to pass the course. College prepares you for a career; you need to remember what you learned in college. I would also tell them to be open to different clubs. If you are interested in something, do not hesitate to join and get involved with it. It will probably something you truly enjoy. Give your new roommate/roommates a chance.; if you do not like them, try to get to know them first instead of assuming you will not get along. College is all about being able to connect with different people from different backgrounds. College is amazing and truly some of the best, life-changing years of your life. Enjoy it because the time will not last forever, but the memories will.

How conservative the school is. Wish they were more open to different ideas and/or activities. I enjoy the small community, but at the same time it can be a downfall. Could be considered similar to high school drama. The Campus Police is also very strict and sometimes do not treat us like adults but as children.

Assumption College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.