Baldwin City, KS
Baker University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baker University

Going back to last year at this time I would make sur e I gave myself advice about a few things. First, college is not like high school. It is not easy and you need to study for test as well as manage your time. This took me awhile to learn throughout my first semester of college and would have helped me significantly from the start. Second, do well on the first few test in each class. If you do this you wont have to play catch up with all your classes at the end of the semester or have to stress about finals. Thrid, meet a variety of people; this will allow you to not get stuck with one crowd and open you up to many new experinces. In life the first people you meet some where might not be the person you want to be surrounded by. Lastly, college is about preparing you for your future and life in general. You are going to be stressed, fill over whelmed and face many obstacles, but in the end it is preparing you for a better tomorrow, and most of all stronger future.

I consider the class sizes the best thing about my school. You go to school to get an education and when the class sizes are roughly twenty students, this helps the professor know who you are. At Baker you are more than just a number to your professor, they care about your education and want you to be the best you can be. With the small class sizes, seeking help from professors is extremely easy and they make sure you get the help you need. This helps you get the best education and experience.

I wish I had known how to get involved more right away, instead of learning about things throughout the school year. This would have helped the transition from leaving home and high school were I was very involved in, to a college where I could be just as engaged in. Know that I am entering the second semester of my first year I can finally find clubs I want to join and begin to find my "group" of people to help Baker feel like a home.

Heather

My classmates are very tight knit which makes the baldwin campus special, this year we've faced a lot of tragedy and it has only brought us all together.

I would tell myself to be prepared for the road ahead. It will not be easy, but it'll totally be worth it. The most important thing I would try and correct about my high school self is my studying habits. I would teach myself to study even when I feel confident. Studying was difficult when I first got to campus and I would prefer to have had that under control prior to coming here. Another thing I would remind myself to do, don't be afraid to go outside of my comfort zone. When I first got to campus I chose to engage with people and those people are the reason I enjoy college so much. In the end theres not a lot I would change, but if I were able to go back in time and change something I would teach myself to study, and study well.

The worst part of Baker would probably be jumping straight into your major, however I think this is very beneficial. You don't have to waste your time doing general education courses that won't matter for your degree instead you find out if your choosen study is right for you faster. The reason it would be considered the worst is because it honestly makes it very difficult.

Baker is a private and liberal arts university. Some say it is the Harvard of the midwest.

I would tell myself that it is okay to make friends. Friends will help you along the way. Being in college is difficult. Being away from your everyday surroundings and your family is more difficult. They are people that will cheer you up after a bad day. They will support you and encourage you to do better. They will lend you a shoulder to cry on. They accept you and understand you. You can be your complete self around them. They bring positivity to your life. They feel like family. They expect nothing in return but they know you will be there if they need you. They will love you because they choose to because they feel like they should. They are willing to stick around when things get tough. They make you smile. They are there to listen.

I consider the best thing about my school is the environment. The students, staff, and professors are very supportive. If you need help with anything, they will help you or find someone who can help you. They check up on you regularly and they know you by name. Baker University is a very supportive place and it is very easy to make friends.

Ryan

Baker University is most known for its academic excellence as well as its tight knit community feel. After I committed to play soccer at Baker, many family friends and others in my community spoke very highly of the institution and were excited for the bright future ahead of me. I am most impressed with the relationships I have with my professors. They geninely care and would do anything to help me succeed. I have never met anyone that has disliked Baker. As soon as I arrived to Baker my freshman year, there were many welcoming activities that promoted student involvement.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that finding balance is the most important thing. Being a collegiate athlete, it is difficult balancing schoolwork, practice, a social life, and sleep. Finding this balance early in transition is the best thing to do. Prioritizing these things is also a reccommendation I would give my senior self. School should always come first. Education is what you are at college for. Receiving a quality education is an important step towards starting "life". The next most importatnt thing is sleep and health. Without enough sleep, your mind won't work at its full potential. Having a social life is also very important. Being involved and having friends promotes wellbeing and leads to happiness. It is important to have fun and be happy because life is short. As for soccer, the likelihood of going pro is slim to none. It should be viewed as a form of stress relief or a break from schoolwork. Finding out who you are and what you want out of life is important. Working towards that and doing well in school is the key to success.

There's only one kind of person that shouldn't attend Baker University. This kind of person is the person that doesn't take their education seriously and takes the easiest way out. Baker is a small, private, liberal arts University. This means the curriculum is rigorous at times and professors know students better because of small classes. Students that don't take their education seriously will struggle because the coursework at Baker requires creative thinking and sometimes goes beyond learning right out of the textbook. I am very happy with the quality of education I am receiving at Baker.

Neal

Do not fall in love with one girl early because they will mess with your life, academically and everything.

Small range of minority females.

Kaley

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would tell myself college isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I would also tell myself not to worry so much. Nothing in life is worth stressing about; if it is meant to be it'll happen. College life is a great thing, but not only college life, Baker life. Baker has been so supportive to me. I went through a very depressive state right after high school. I didn't think anyone would accept me, because I found out I had a very rare syndrome called MRKH. Baker showed me that I am who I am, and I should be proud of that. I am no different than anyone else I just might have to go through things differently, but I am as strong and normal as everyone else. If I could go back the main thing I would want myself to know is that college is only what you make of it. It gives you what you put in. The more you try the more people are willing to help you.

I wish I would have know that Baker is like a family. Then I wouldn't have looked at any other college. I would have been more set. I love everything aobut Baker and there is nothing I would change about my expierence here.

Someone who wants to achieve great things. Someone who is kind, caring, and friendly. Someone who is looking for a family or great community, not just a college. Baker is a small school but it is not too small. The teachers really care about the students. So someone who is looking for personal 1 on 1 attention from the professors and the faculty that work at Baker. You should attend Baker if your education is important to you. Someone who is looking for a career not just a job.

Do not be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. College is a new transition and its a step below the real world. Your first semester will seem difficult as you start to figure out who you are, but do not give up because this is the best years of your life. You will find friends going through the same thing or upper classmen who help you through it. Just put yourself out there because once you do you will find what you do or do not like. Trial and error is not a negative thing, but a positive step towards the person you will become. Stick it out and enjoy it while you can.

The worst thing would be that we are located in a small town outside of Lawrence. So if you want to go to Walmart or go do something you either have to travel 15 minutes to Lawrence or 35 minutes to the Kansas City area.

If you are an outgoing want to get involved kind of person you should come here. Baker's biggest classroom size is 40 people, so we have a lot of one on one with our professors. We have a lot of oppurtunities for jobs through our alumni, and we are well known in Kansas as a great private university. Everyone seems to be in an extra curricular activity so it is really easy to make great friends here.

I completed my undergraduate classes at the University of Kansas and while I really enjoyed it and I was in a great atmosphere, I realized that when I would go to nursing school I wanted it to be a smaller school with more of a personal connection between student and teachers. Once attending Baker School of Nursing I got exactly what I was looking for, I am no longer just a number on a piece of paper I am Emily Prais a future nurse, and that is the most welcoming thing ever.

The hardest thing about transitioning into college is time management. There are so many new opportunities in college and at times those can become overwhelming and the actually school part of college gets forgotten. College classes are not like high school classes, they require time outside of class, and teachers don't take mercy on incoming freshman just because it is their first semester at college. Another big part of college is coming to the realization that you are an adult now, and while this seems fun it actually requires a lot of responsibility. Your parents are no longer there to make sure you go to class, make sure your eating healthy, and make sure your spending your money wisely. This new found responsibility can appear very fun but with responsibility so comes decisions. And if decisions being made start to become irresponsible there is no one is there to dig you out of a situation. It is very easy for school to take a backseat to more entertaining things but just remember "knowledge is power", and the knowledge that you earn in college is irreplaceable. Lastly, this is a great experience and enjoy it.

Baker School of Nursing is not a place to go if you want to blend in with the crowd. All the teachers know who you are, and are concerned with how you are doing throughout the whole process of nursing school. From the beginning of the semester all of the teachers gave their students not only their home phone numbers but their cell phone numbers as well. They are genuinely concerned about all of their students and want them to do well, and will do just about everything to see this occur.

Michelle

I would tell myself to get involved and break out of my comfort zone earlier on in my college career. It took me some time to join my athletic team and even longer to really get involved in other campus organizations, including taking on a leadership role in my sorority. It was not until the end of my freshman year that I began to become more socalized and break out of my comfort zone when it came to relationships with other students at Baker. Participating in social events has helped me to make lasting relationships with both men and women on campus. Getting involved in organizations has allowed me to grow as a leader and a person. Another piece of advise I would offer my high school self is to not take my academic career to seriously. Getting less than an A does not mean that I am a bad student and now that I have accepted that, I feel more freedom in the way I go about my academics.

While the cafiteria and student union facilities are very nice, the food quality is sub par. I do not regualrly eat in the cafiteria on campus, but I have heard from several other students that it could be improved. The university only makes high quality food on days when they are aware that a large portion of campus comes to eat. I would consider the food quality to be one of the worst things about Baker University.

Jaimie

Everybody works together very well. All my classmates have always been very helpful and nice! So far I have made a ton of friends because everybody is so nice and caring! One of my favorite things about my classmates is that they're always wanting to make study groups so we can work and learn together.

I would tell myself to be open to everything and everybody. Even though high school is full of drama, I would tell myself to not get involved in any of it and just be friends with everybody around me. Going to a college with nobody from my high school was great because I got to start all over again! Also, if I could go back I would tell myself to work harder in school and make it my number one priority. The most important thing I would tell myself would be to focus on scholarships. My parents always told me to do them, but I barely put any effort into them and now I'm stuck with a huge bill from my school because I didn't try to earn scholarships. College is SUPER expensive and it's really hard to save money when you're on your own! So I would tell myself to buckle down, save my money, and earn as many scholarships as possible!

Baker is a small campus but it's great because my classes are small and all of my professors know me by name and they know if somebody is gone from class. The professors are ALWAYS willing to help so each student feels confident; and everybody around me is always smiling! It's such a welcoming atmosphere and I am always having a good time! Also, it's not difficult to get ahold of a professor if you need help with something, which is great!

Baker University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.