Waco, TX
Baylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baylor University

Liz

I love Baylor. It is the perfect size school- large enough to provide a lot of opportunities, but small enough to feel like a community. Baylor has a good reputation nationwide, especially in the church community. Waco may not offer a lot to do off-campus, but Austin and Dallas are not far, and there is alays something happening on-campus. Everyone is so enthusiastic when they first come to Baylor, and, though it wears off, most students continue to love the university.

There is variety in the student body at Baylor, but the students predominently conservative, Christian, and from Texas.

To some extent, yes. Baylor is predominently white, and many are from well-to-do families and do want a "ring by spring."

Class size at Baylor is really good; except for a few introduction to business or science classes, most do not exceed 30-50. Being in the Honors College, I have few classes that exceed 20. I have loved my upper level classes, but the introduction courses in any area are usually pointless and more of a hassle than anything else. I have taken mostly History and Literature courses, and the professors are wonderful. They are really interested in their subject and in your education.

Everyone is rich, white, and looking for a husband/wife.

Over half of the students are not involved in Greek life, but the majority of events are associated with Greek organizations. Since Baylor is a Christian university, sororities and fraternities are a little more tame than at state schools. There are also organizations related to majors or service organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity.Involvement in organizations and classes are the main ways students meet their friends, but dating is Baylor is almost non-existent (or so it would seem to some). On of the great things about Baylor is its traditions, from Dr. Pepper hour, to the Homecoming parade and bonfire, to All-University Sing and Pigskin.

Austin

The size of the student population is very nice. At around ten thousand or so undergrads, it is a good fit for most everyone I've heard talk about it has said. Most people who ask where I go to school seem very impressed when the answer is Baylor. And, with the improvements in the overall campus structure (better athletic teams, new buildings, ect), as well as the continually increasing standards for entering students, I believe Baylor is becoming more prestigious every year. I have found school pride (at least in reference to athletics) to be much lower than most other schools. I think the combination of disappointing past athletics and the many timid students here has led to a much lower school pride than say Texas Tech, Texas, and Texas A&M. I believe one of the primary obstacles in getting students to come to Baylor is the "Waco Problem". Baylor is a school of mostly upper middle class students surrounded by one of the most poverty ridden towns in the U.S. Not only is there little in the area of scenic views, but there is also little night life available for students. The one promising aspect for Waco is the revamping of downtown, which lies about a mile from campus.

Baylor is mostly, as the stereotype dictates, a body of upper class white Christians. However, that is not to say there is little diversity. There is an abundance of African Americans and Asians. There are also other religious backgrounds, such as a friend of mine who is Muslim. I have never had any experience where people have been unaccepting or judgmental toward any one's race or religion (with the exception of the Greek system, who usually want people of their same background). There are Baylor students from all fifty states and various foreign countries. However, a large percentage are from Texas, especially the Dallas Ft-Worth area.

The most important social move when coming to Baylor, especially when you don't know many people, is getting involved early and often. Your first semester here will set the tone for your social life. Go to meetings for all kinds of different groups and find which ones suit you and your agenda well. Academic wise, it is tough to make the transition from high school classes to college classes. If you come from a public high school, there is an especially huge difference. So, the best thing to do is to go to your professors and ask them about how they feel you can best study or otherwise prepare for their tests. Each professor is different, so getting a feel for what each professor feels to be important about that specific class is a must.

The "snob" stereotype is accurate for a higher percentage of people than other schools I've been around. The most abundant accumulation of these type of people exist in the Greek system. That said, there are still many students in and out of the Greek systems who are indeed down to earth, but you may need to look a little hard to find them. The religious stereotype is less accurate. There are a lot of students, more so girls than guys, in whom it is obvious that they hold their faith very close. However, it is college, and at one point or another, you will find most all students here will throw their inhibitions to the wind.

Academics at Baylor is a tough subject, because every major is different. For example, I am a biology/pre-med major, and this year my easiest class was Political Science. However, I heard some business majors in my class talking about how difficult they thought the tests were. I have found, at least in the pool of science majors, academics are very competitive. However, most students would never show their anguish when someone else out performed them. Many students have intellectual conversations outside of class. You just have to find another student who is on the same level as you are, which is not difficult to do. Every class with thirty or less students I have had, the professors make sure they know every one's name and face, which is nice. In other larger classes, if you make an effort to get to know the professor, they will always make sure to get to know you. If you want to see a professor outside of class it is almost always easy to do, because Baylor makes certain all professors give a large chunk of their hours to be available to help students. My least favorite class has to be freshman semester biology. The class average was in the 50s. Beware of this type of weed-out class for every major.

The two main stereotypes are: one, most of the students are wealthy white snobs; two, it is a Baptist school, so people often tend to think most students here are (or at least act like) your typical Sunday school angel.

Greek life is big at Baylor, especially for girls. Joining a fraternity or sorority is definitely the best way to get plugged into the social pipeline. However, it may also narrow your scope of social groups. The dorm life is exciting. In my experience, most every guy on my hall would have his door cracked for others to come in and hang out at any time. The only down side is if you are trying to get some sleep, it often stays loud until one or two at night on weeknights. However, if the noise is interfering with study time, the libraries are always open late, and the study rooms in the dorms are always available. In my experience, the dating scene is difficult when you come here knowing absolutely nobody and aren't in a fraternity of some sort. However, there are an astounding amount of good looking girls to take your pick from. There are a lot a parties available to go to, but they are often limited to who you know in a frat or sorority. Many parties involve drinking, but if that isn't for you then there are a lot of "dry" frats and Christian ones who find other ways to have fun.

Ali

Baylor is the best school in Texas. You get twice the education here than at SMU or TCU. Yea, our sports suffer but our teachers and dont and our degree means something. Baylor students are very real and not snobby. You can really find yourself here because it is so diverse. There is a place for everyone and Baylor makes it impossible to not find friends. The teachers care about you individually because it is a smaller school and when you are looking for a job, that counts. The teachers here make Baylor what it is.

Baylor students are very christian but not zealots. You are not beatn over the head with bibles or preached to on the side walk. I think people here show it in how they treat eachother. Guys open the door for girls, people are friendly while walking to class, people are even courteous drivers for the most part. There are a bunch of Dallas kids, but they arnt too bad.

Baylor has helped me become a better person overall. I have my stuff together so much more than any of my friend from high school who are at other colleges. I have made better friends than I could have ever hoped for and I have been apart of some amazing things here. We have float, Sing, philanthropy, and 1,000 other things but its because its fun. My friend at colleges who dont have this are jealous. It is a bonding experince and you accomplish things you would never do otherwise. If I had to chose all over again I would def. pick Baylor. It has made my college years the most amazing experience of my life, and I believe my life will be better later on because of what I am taking away from here.

A little. We are shelterd somewhat but that can be a blessing. When you are first getting to college you are bound make mistakes and go crazy. However, I feel like Baylor doesnt let you go too wild. You are surrounded for the most part by people who have morals and values and were brought up like you. There are fun things to do here and its not like going to church camp by any means.

Being Greek at Baylor is great! Sororities here are not superficial groups who just want to get drunk and be popular. They truly care about you and are an amazing support system. College is hard sometimes but having that kind of backing when you need it the most has no substitue. Def. GO GREEK because you will have the best time of your life and make the best friends.

That we live in a very shelterd enviornment and are bible beaters whose idea of a good time is sunday school.

Andrea

Baylor University has changed my life. Not necessarily the university itself, but just being here. I have been able to surround myself with wonderful people who have helped me grow in ways unimaginable. I have been able to realize my dreams and understand the importance of chasing those dreams.

I think Baylor has a place for everyone - no matter what your race, denomination, background, lifestyle, etc. Baylor has a niche for everyone - you just have to find that niche.

Baylor's awesome. It'll change you if you let it.

I enjoyed my classes at Baylor for the most part. I do not enjoy the busy work of writing papers and filling in work sheets, but for the most part I have enjoyed these classes.

Baylor has tons of traditions from homecoming to dia to Dr. Pepper hour. There are usually events happening on campus at any given time. Late at night - there isn't much to do except for hang out with friends. IHOP is always open! I went to several plays and enjoyed the quality of that. I also joined a sorority and was pleased with that for the most part.

They are rich, stuck up, want to get their own way, tend to run over bikers/walkers because no one wants to yield.

Paige

I love Baylor. I loved it from the very first day of "Welcome Week". The atmosphere is so Christ centered, and you can feel the joy that people have from attending this great place. Never have I been somewhere where I feel so at home. Everyones purpose here is different, but we are all a big family in our love for this school and what it stands for!

Clothing wise, Baylor is pretty stereotypical. There are a lot of sorority girls wearing polo and sperrys, and carrying monogrammed bags. But I don't feel like you need to wear those to fit in. People wear what they want ranging from sweats and tshirts to skirts and heels. It all depends on the person, and I'm not sure that anything would be considered abnormal.

Because of the cost of coming to Baylor, I'm sure that this is somewhat true, but I personally have to work very hard to be here. I know a lot of people who are here on scholarships and work very hard to be able to come to Baylor! Not everyone who goes to this school can afford it!

I'm a music major, so I spend most of my time in music classes and rehearsals. I do love what I do, but it is a great challenge. Lots of people don't realize how hard it is to be a music major. On top of all your classes and normal studies you have hours of rehearsals, performances, and practice sessions.

I think that at Baylor sororities and fraternities are very important. A good majority of the people at Baylor are involved in them, and if not they attend the functions put on by them. Sororities/fraternities fund so many activities each year ranging from formal dances to bed races and chili cookouts.

Dylan

Baylor's student body is basically typical of any other school. There are those who are really religious, and those who are not. The different races tend to stick together, much like everywhere else in society. Frats basically think that they rule the school and tend to only hang out with their frat brothers. Sorority girls at baylor however, are very social, and seem to get along well with everyone.

Not at all, people here are just regular broke college kids for the most part.

Beware of Baylors Pre-Med program, thousands of people start out here each year as pre-med, and many don't even last a full semester. The professors really try to weed out those who arent cut out for it, and in the end the only ones left are those with GPA's above 3.8. The problem is there are just too many pre-med students, so the school is forced to pick out only those at the top of their classes, which unfortunately gets rid of some of the really good ones. I have found that the professors in the science building generally have such large classes that there is never any interaction between the students and the professors, except for those who sit in the front row. So basically, there just too many students in these classes, to most professors, students in their classes are just a number on a piece of paper. I started out pre-med, but only lasted one semester. I am now a business major, and I have found that the professors in the business school are a lot more organized, and show a lot more compassion towards their students. The dean of the business school, Blaine McCormick is a wonderful guy, and he will help out any student in any way he can, he actually cares, and helps students to succeed.

That everyone that goes here must be rich.

Alex

as a Christian school I dont feel like they pressure you into the religious aspect, but they do a good job of offering you groups to be apart of.

stuck up and snotty girls with fraternity boys who wear boat shoes all of the time

due to being an athlete, my free time is usually spent practicing or doing some sort of extra for the team. If I am not doing athletics its my school work.

academics are pretty great, small class sizes are awesome. I feel like I get out of it so much more and its easier to be on a more personal level with your teachers.

Baylor is a nice small university. While most classes range in size around 30-50 students, anytime I tell my sister something from my 7-person class, she just gapes. Most people are very friendly and it is quite easy to get involved with activities and find "your group." Waco is definitely centered around the economy of Baylor, but there is really nothing to do in the city. But if you are looking for a college with a lot of pride and a great football team, you might want to search elsewhere.

For a Christian campus, religious groups really do vary. We have a lot of Muslims along with Jews, atheists, and of course, Christians of all denominations. Christian religion courses are a requirement in all degrees, but only two basic level classes. Most students are from Texas or California, but I believe we have atleast one from every state and something like 33 countries. There are a lot of Asian organizations, but the rest of the student body seems to mix and match according to interests and majors more than backgrounds. The 3 to 1 student ration of girls to guys gives any guy his option of available females, while girls must compete, but the local TSTC is quite full of guys for the rest.

A lot of us are here on scholarship and ethnicities vary. The private, Christian university does seem to have a calling to "MRS degrees" and the term "Baylor girl" is used to define the vast majority of the female student body in a negative connotation in refrence to their dress, attitude, and acessories. And while most classes are quite difficult, we're actually good at most sports besides football.

The dorm doors are usually closed, but it's not uncomon for freshmen to go door-to-door with cookies like happy new neighbors in old movies. Atheletic events are only attended because they're free to students, but the basketball teams are nationally ranked, as well as tennis, equestrian, and maybe some others. The guest speakers are amazing, we have free concerts to names like Swtichfoot, Clay Walker, and Bethany Dillon. I met my closest friends from the Baylor Riding Association and the five of us are inseperable. I can't stress enough how important it is to get involved in some group, and you'll meet your best friends for life. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am at a friend's house studying because we all know I didn't start studying until 11pm, and if I'm at my house, I'll just fall asleep. Any night I'm not doing homework or working, I'm either hitting up the dance halls with friends or we're playing boardgames and watching movies.

Due to the class size, about half of my professors not only know my name and major, but also my hobbies, where I work, and we'll just sit and dicuss movies during lab time. 75% attendance is required in all Baylor classes, and you certainly won't get out of Baylor without a handful of student participation classes. The large freshman science courses (biology, chemistry) are definitely "weed-out" courses, but things get easier and you work your way into upper-level course work. Students range from the honors students who will debate international relations in Russia over lunch, to those who don't know who's running for U.S. President this fall. While the Forensic department is falling out from under us at the moment, there are still some really great professors. Caution to the wise though, honors is a lot of reading, with tough grading profs, and the only good thing it seems to do for you is early registration.

Baylor is definitely stereotyped to be rich, white, and prissy with hard classes and a bad athletic program.

bianca

Class sizes are just right. we have some classes with around 20-30 students which makes it easier to connect with the professors. If i could change one thing i would make chapel optional. when people hear that you go to baylor they look highly of you. there is pretty much nothing to do on the weekend if you are not apart of at least on organization. There is tremendous school pride(even though our football team is not that geat).

baylor students are smart but come from diffrent backgrounds. So far everyone i have encountered at the university is very nice and will help you with anything even if they just met you.

Good two shoed smart christians.

Almost all of my professors know me by nme. my favorite class is psychology. For the mot part, studying depends on the difficulty of the course.

Baylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.