Waco, TX
Baylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baylor University

Tim

At Baylor, you have to find your niche, but once you do everything is fine. Getting involved in extracurricular activies definately helps your social life. Waco is not exactly a college town, but it does come with all the basic stores and some. Most people only live their freshman year on campus, and then move to one of the surrounding apartment complexs. Baylor is expensive and a lot of the stuff Baylor provides is therefore also expensive. The important thing about Baylor is even though some things you might not like, there are double the things you will like. The administration in my mind is not the best and could do a lot better of a job, but my professors are great and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Baylor has a big religious atmosphere, with two semesters of required chapel and certain actions unfavorably looked at. Most students are conservative Texans with some money in their pockets.

Baylor has a place for everyone but you just might have to look for it.

There are people here with money, but not all of them are those who have never had to work for anything in their life. Most people here are genuine. A lot of students do come to Baylor for the christian atmosphere and are very religious.

A good majority of the classes at Baylor are smaller than a big state school. I can talk to professors easily and I have had atleast some one on one time with each of them. The classes can range from extremely easy to no one passes, it just depends on your major and the professor.

Greek life is pretty strong at Baylor. There are both social and service organizations. Parties are always happening, but they are not publicized so you have to know who to ask.

stephanie

good parties. pretty campus. good academics. too bad we suck at sports.

good parties. pretty campus. good academics. too bad we suck at sports.

at first glance every baylor student looks the same. white. christian. rich. preppy. but at a closer look we have some of the highest percentages of diverse students and everyone really gets along. we even have a lot of hippies!!

BAYLOR IS SOOOO MUCH FUN. it is the perfect balance of parties and academics. church and studying. drinking and simply having random fun times. everyone is here to learn and get an amazing degree but we have fun and let loose at the same time. people are sane..not too crazy but definitely not too boring. work hard. party hard. hot girls. hot boys. good churches. good concerts. boring city..but BAYLOR makes up for it. its not called a baylor bubble for nothing.

NO. of course some people dont party and of course some people are too conservative and bible beaters but the majority of people are laid back christians that party and dont judge others for what they do.

easier to get in than it is to stay! but hard work pays off and baylor is highly ranked nationally in most majors.

greek life is awesome. you meet a ton ton ton of people! theta is the best..of course. theres a lot of parites. for those who dont party, lots just hang out watch movies go out to eat go to concerts go to common grounds. you wont be weird if you dont party..youll be accepter either way.

no parties. really rich. too conservative/raging baptists.

Albert

They aren't embarrassed about their religious views, Baylor is very bold about being a Christian university, it's awesome.

There's an obvious faith at this school. Students are proud to show and share their beliefs anywhere you are.

Professors go the extra mile to get to know you and help you when your struggling. It's a more personal experience then the basic student teacher relationships at larger schools.

Katie

The school is great. At first I was a little concerned about my choice because I never visited and I had never been to Texas until I matriculated at Baylor. The campus is gorgeous, everyone is caring and kind, and the teachers are around and are excellent resources for scholarship recommendations or anything else. Also, we have so many amazing and diverse clubs and shows and talents. There is always something to do on campus. It is important to find your niche on campus though because Waco itself is quite awful. Everyone goes home over the weekends and campus is deserted. But, if you personally branch out then you will be so much happier with your experience here. In addition, I would recommend bringing a car. Parking is limited, you have to buy a student pass, and there is a shuttle service, but I am always having to bum rides off of my friends.

Baylor has a diverse student body, but I have noticed that it is very segregated. I come from a background with very little segregation and was quite shocked by the change. We have our minority societies that are opened to membership for everyone; but generally minority students tend to hang out together. It takes some effort on everyone's part to intermingle. HUGE partiers or people who are very avid about their atheism would feel out of place at Baylor. Waco has several clubs - most of which are quite sketchy - and the greeks have parties with alcohol and drugs aren't hard to find. Nonetheless the party scene, being at Baylor, is not the same as being in say Austin or Dallas. But Thursday nights are college nights and a ton of people go out partying in the bigger cities.

I tend to find that as a whole Baylor's student body is unconcerned with any type of environmental progress. While this is very upsetting, there are several student/faculty organizations that are actively pursuing more environmentally friendly practices on campus. It greatly annoys me that all of the cleaning staff is of Hispanic decent, and NONE of them speak English. The cost of attending Baylor is not cheap, but there are so many scholarships available to help with tuition. Also, I would highly recommend bringing in as much AP/IB credit so that you don't have to take as many basic freshman classes, you will free up a lot of time in your schedule, and it is good to know that once you have been accepted you can only transfer 15 credits from another school into Baylor for your degree (excluding all high school credit). When planning which classes to take over the next four years, the credit I earned in high school has been so helpful.

The school does have a lot of higher class students in attendance and you will see cars that cost more than your entire tuition...but it generally isn't a problem. Also, not all Baylor students are perfect Christians. We have our fair share of parties and the problems associated with them.

The Baylor Princess, the rich/spoiled kids, perfect christians

Intramurals are big on campus and are a great way to get to know a variety of people. The football games and the basketball games are always packed! Definately a fun activity to go and enjoy. There are numerous guest speakers, most of which you will find are promoted by word of mouth from your professors. Recently we have had a few famous ones and some truly inspirational theologians and insightful researchers. Late nights are pretty fun. I-Hop is open 24hours and is a tasty 3am treat. College dorm life is typical...drunk people, loud neighbors, curfew violations, community bathrooms, people running naked up and down the halls... you get used to it! Unfortunately for us ladies, the student population is approximately 60% girls - so it makes finding a guy a bit harder. But we definately have some really cute, chivalrous guys around! Sorority life is a huge time commitment, but it is also a lot of fun. We meet a minimum of 4 hours a week and this is my first semester in it. Be prepared to deal with a lot of BS, but also remember that greek life is a great way to get to know people, get scholarships, and branch out into the community.

As mentioned previously, the professors are wonderful. They are so understanding and helpful, but you have to take the iniative to go in and see them if you wish to develop a better professional relationship with them. Some like to have lunch/coffee breaks where they can get to know their students. At first, I thought this was creepy, but it is a great way to learn more about the class and what the teacher expects. Freshman year classes are mundane and trite. I seriously cannot wait to get to some harder and more interesting classes. I would recommend joining the Honor's College because they provide an atmosphere that is more challenging and there are certain perks that come along with honors. For example, I have found that it is easier to get into a professor's research team and you get to register the same time as grad students for classes (best perk ever!!). I truly feel that within the next few years Baylor's academic reputation will be comparable to other 'new ivy-leagues'.

Rachana

The best thing about Baylor is that I feel at home here. I love the campus-it is so beautiful, like you are walking around in a big park. The school gives you the feel of a big campus, with the intimacy and relational atmosphere of a smaller school. You really get to meet a lot of amazing people here and I love it! I would change the apathy of the students. I really feel that as a Christian school, it would be nice to outreach into our community more, get active, aware, and not just stay in the "Baylor bubble." Honoring God by serving him faithfully as a student, but also as a college student that has a lot of time on our hands to make a difference in the lives of our fellow students, the people in Waco, state or even nationwide. Waco is a dinky city, but it grows on you and you learn to love it and its people-if you choose to get out of campus. There's not a lot to do, but I'm not much of a guy to party or "have a night on the town", but there's plenty of stuff for me to do on campus with extracurriculars, ministries, activism, homework..., etc.

Some people associate with others like themselves, but I feel that I can connect with a lot of people on campus and most people can make friends outside of their own "group". A student that would feel out of place at Baylor might be someone with liberal leanings, has no desire to get involved in students life or socialize(I could say that about anywhere), and is a fan of other Texas schools. I say all of this from experience. Many Baylor students are from Texas, that is just how it is. Students I say are pretty apathetic about politics. Most are semi-political aware, but I probably am just saying that because I keep up with the news and keep up with that stuff. Many, I won't say most, are politically conservative-but I think that is more from believing what their parents believed and not necessarily out of their own political awakening process. The school newspaper, like many college newspapers, has a liberal slant, but you live with it. I pick up the good ole' Baylor Lariat everyday as I wake up and go to my first class.

Nope, I've met plenty of people here that are working hard to pay for their education and really trying to make ends meet to get an education @ Baylor. Some are on loans, some do work-study, others have a side job, etc. People from all walks of life with their own story to tell.

It wasn't too hard for me to adjust to college academic life-if you just do your homework, keep up with your studying, and don't let things pile up you should be find. Don't let work pile up! Learn to be the anti-procrastinator. I love my professors and I really feel that I've learned so much more at Baylor than just book smarts. You grow as a person-spiritually, physically, relationally, etc. My hardest class would have to be Spanish. It is a doozie, but you trudge through it and I actually am learning-now if only I would remember it! The professors that I have had are pretty nice and really genuinely care about their students. I'm not really noticing competitive students, but I'm not in a specific academic program. I heard the Pre-Med majors were pretty competitive, but it's all good. Students will be students... Baylor's goal is to educate men and women for "worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community." I have absolutely no idea what I'll do after I get out of Baylor. I don't feel like I'm preparing for a job-more like finding a calling. To use these few years at college to connect the passions in my life, my faith, my strengths, and go out from that to make a difference somehow somewhere. Baylor wants to help their students find out what they were created for and work out of their strengths and really make an impact in this world.

One of the organizations I'm involved with is Bears For Life. It is the Pro-Life organization on campus and we work to help create a culture of life at Baylor and educate our fellow students about issues like abortion. I love the people there-it's small, but the people there are dedicated, passionate, and are making a difference. I found my closest friends at my church group-we meet every week in something called a Lifegroup and just grow together in our faith by living out Christian community. The students in my hall won't open their doors too much(my roommates are like bats and live in a cave :P), but next year I'll be a Community leader(think of a RA that does more stuff) and I want to help create an environment where we can really build a community of guys that want to run and grow together.

Maggie

Baylor is the perfect place if you are looking for something right in the middle. The campus is beautiful and the off campus apartments and houses are really close to campus and each other. It's a great community. The school pride is amazing. Everyone really gets into the spirit. Sic'Em Bears!

Only for some of the students. Most of us are normal people who like to party and have a good time and are not snobs.

Baylor prides itself on its professor/student relationships. Classes are generally small and professors learn your name and are very willing to help and give assistance. Many professors invite students over for dinner and such. Baylor is also a great school to go to if you want a good job. They offer a lot of career services.

Casey

the first 2 years here religion and baylor-ism is shoved down your throat. there is sooo much importance placed upon being part of the 'Baylor Family'. it's very expensive too. everyone here is on scholarship though so most of use are hurting for money. homecoming is really cool. waco is a complete college town. nothing to do other than baylor and MCC. i don't agree with Baylor's money management. the theatre and the art departments have to share a crammed, old, out of date building and our funds seem to be cut every year, yet they throw money to the LOSING football team to build them ANOTHER practice field so that they don't have to drive the 5 minutes to their current ones. poor babies..... :P it's a very pretty school though. and has a good name.

for me, the gay society is like entering into a secret society or the millitary. there is a big unwritten "don't ask don't tell" policy as far as the university is concerned. most students are pretty cool with it. but you can be expelled if your "homosexual acts" are found out by the university or if someone reports you. we tried to have a gay tolerance group thing and baylor completely shot it down. that's not saying we aren't here. there's a bunch of us! and things like facebook have made it alot easier to meet people. i dated a guy for 3 years! so don't worry about it too much, but if you're used to being prideful and fun like i was, be prepared to tone it down a notch.

baylor is expensive. you will have a good education if you can afford it. and if you can put up with the religious stuff for the first 2 years you'll be fine. the campus is beautiful and you make good friends. there are always complaints about schools. i've enjoyed my time at baylor, but that's because i made it so.

yes for most peopel at baylor. venture to the far side of campus, on university parks, and you'll see a difference.

frats are always popular if you have the money and the time. if you do, then you are set for life. friends and connections forever! i'm not apart of that. i met my friends in my major.... like most people. common grounds, the local coffee shop, is a good place to meet fun artsy people. everyone goes to athletic events. some come to the theatre performances.... mainly cause everyone has to take theatre appreciation. i'm not sure what people do pn the weekends. if theatre kids don't have rehearsal, performance, or projects....we are in a hot tub or throwing a party... drinking involved. most groups aren't like that.... but that's how we are.

baylor boys are here for business, premed, or prelaw. they are rich. baylor girls have big curly hair, and are getting thier MRS degree to marry a business, premed, or prelaw baylor boy. they are rich too. and everyone is a virgin. you must be married when you leave and have lots of baylor babies. we are all southern and very religious. also.... social clubs are a MUST!

Paige

A disappointing thing about Baylor is where it is located... (Waco, tx) and that's not even that bad if you are a person who likes to reach out to the community which Baylor does a lot of. Most people go home on the weekends The things students complain about most is parking, tuition, and visitation hours (hours when guys and girls can be in one another's dorms) Baylor is very traditional sometimes it feels like a cult but you learn to love it, "sic' em" There really is just a great community feeling at Baylor if you are plugged in

Baylor is very preppy lot's of polos and loafers. People dress cute, classy, and chic There aren't many punks no emo's anything like that Greek life is very active for both minorities and whites i think it's like 1 out of every 5 or 6 students at Baylor is Greek. Races at Baylor for the most part at Baylor are very segregated people hang out with other people like them As an African American student i can say there is some racial tension but it's not really that bad some award situation in classes and you're not likely to have very many if any black professors

SIC EM Bears After Disney World Baylor is the greatest place on earth BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!! Baylor has a beautiful campus!

-a lot of people at Baylor are very privileged so if mommy and daddy are not loaded I wouldn't come to Baylor except by scholarship cause it's expensive -the majority of students at Baylor call them selves Christian and attend church however same as any university most don't act like it and the bottle is flowing every weekend

Baylor's academics are challenging. Freshman year is no doubt the easiest so be sure to study and get a good GPA. Whether or not the class is fun, interesting, or easy really depends on the teacher. You can have the same class with a different teacher and have a completely different experience so it's always good to ask who to take or go on bubooks.com and see how the teachers are rated by the students. The majority of people spend a significant amount of time studying but it depends on the major, the course, and the teacher.

-everyone is rich -everyone is stuck up -everyone is Christian -ring by spring

I personally am involved in Heavenly Voices Gospel choir and Impact both are focused on ministry and are predominantly populated by African Americans. I LOVE HV it has been the best part of my freshman experience. GREEK LIFE is the predominant campus activity -events through the week -parties on the weekend (black greek parties don't usually involve alcohol, just dancing) Everyone goes to the football games even though we aren't that good And it's hard to get tickets to the basketball games sometimes they run out of (free) student tickets, cause we are actually good at that There are clubs in Waco but they get old Dating at Baylor is weird ( at least w/in the black community) cause everyone is someone ex or prospect it's easier to date people at other schools

chris

At Baylor most classes are pretty small, so this means the teachers get to interact more with the students, creating a much better learning environment. Most of the classes I've taken have been taught by enthusiastic teachers who really cared if the students learned.

Morgan

Not completely. A portion of the students at Baylor do not work and live off their parents' money. An even larger portion are not like this though. There are a good number of great, down to earth students here, you just have to know where to look. Going along with knowing where to look- if you are coming to college looking to party, you are going to find people who party. Baylor is a big school and there is a large amount of students who party just as hard as any other state school. On the other hand, because Baylor is a baptist university, if you are looking for a place to find friends who are growing in their faith and developing their relationship with God, Baylor is perfect. There are so many various programs and ways to get involved with these types of people as well.

Everyone thinks that Baylor students are spoiled brats who have tons of money and everyone drives around in BMWs and Mercedes. People also think that because it is a baptist university, no one parties.

Baylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.