La Mirada, CA
Biola University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Biola University

Kaitlyn

My school is best known for helping students to grow in Christian faith as well as providing a strong, applicable academic foundation for students when they enter the work world.

I am an incoming transfer student for the Fall 2014 semester, so I do not have any experience to share yet.

The idea of transitioning from a high school student to a college student was something that simultaneously thrilling and terrifying. Though I was looking forward to entering a new chapter in life, I was also very apprehensive about the school I was planning to attend that fall. Cal State University Los Angeles was not my first choice, but it was the best option given my not-so- stellar GPA. If I could go back and advise my younger self, I would stress the importance of gracefully accepting what seems to be failure, and work hard to change what you still can. I would say this because after two years of attending CSULA, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the hardworking, intelligent and driven people I met along the way who challenged and inspired me to do better. I would tell myself not to waste a single minute feeling discouraged that I was not going to a top tier college because at the end of the day, the purpose of a higher education is to absorb all the knowledge you can to prepare you for life ahead. By learning to accept failure in stride, no one can stop your sprint.

Kristin

To my high school senior self,Remember all the expectations you have for college? For instance, you have high hopes of graduating a four-year university with all of the answers to life. You also confidently believe you will find love in a campus of 4,000 students. In addition, your goal is to find the right major, because you are convinced it will forever determine your future. If you continue to cling to these ideas so tightly, you are going to be disappointed to hear that it will take you five years to graduate, because you change your major three times. Plus, you will leave college single and with more questions than when you first started. Kristin, you have this picture in your head of who you should be and what you should do, but get rid of it, because it is dangerous. You will waste countless days trying to attain this picture. With this advice, you will spend more time enjoying the process of finding out who you truly are and less time blaming yourself for not being the person you think you are supposed to be.

The expense of Biola is the worst thing about it.

I brag about the community. The relationships you make at Biola will be lasting friendships.

Colin

Most people say that senior year is the easiest year of high school, yet for me it was one of the hardest years of high school. Maybe it was the classes that I took or that I was trying to fight the idea of "senioritis". It strikes seniors usually during the third quarter, after students are accepted into colleges and everything seems to be going well. That idea was talked about so much, I tried to fight that idea. I may have had a little bit of this "senioritis", but for the most part I did all that was expected for a student to do and did pretty well. Two pennies of advice for senior year: instead of fighting senioritis, don't get too carried away with it. Do what you usually do, but make sure to say your goodbyes. Compile a list of daring activities that you've always wanted to do or achieve but never did, and carry it out! Cherish ever moment--the good and the bad--and spend time with your family and friends.

The professors are genuinely caring and the student body is for the most part friendly. BIOLA is a gemienshaft, an intimate community. The vibe that one recieves from simply walking through the paved roads of the university is like none other. Even when I was only a freshman in high school visiting the campus, I knew I wanted to attend that school. The university transmits a feeling of family and home.

Despite the high-quality education provided and the serene campus, the tuition and costs to attend BIOLA University is more than a state university. BIOLA has great scholarship and financial aid programs; however, the cost of attendance even after all the deductions is still on the higher-end. If you are an out-of-state student, BIOLA actually may be more affordable than state schools. Private schools are generally expensive, but the education and care you recieve may be worth it.

Kevin

Biola is comprised of a vibrant, welcoming, unified community that is determined to refine themselves and reach others around them

The more people we judge, the less people we see. I wish I could go back and tell my bright-eyed freshmen self “Don’t be so judgmental.” When I first set foot on a college campus, it was so easy to judge people prematurely. I just left every friend I knew and arrived at a campus with over 4,000 students living in a few square miles. I wanted so desperately to find a group of friends, that I latched on to the first acquaintances that seemed nice and avoided anyone who exuded “awkward,” “annoying,” or “weird.” However, eventually the people I thought I would hate became my good friends. That gangly kid who hid behind glasses, curly hair, and a giant set of headphones became my lab partner and the only one in class who knew anything about chemistry. The short guy from Oakland who used ridiculous slang words knew the best Korean BBQ restaurants to take our group to every month. That gruff jock with the Mohawk became the co-captain of my Ultimate Frisbee team and my favorite person to discuss Plato’s Symposium with. The more people you judge, the fewer friends you have.

Someone who is committed to making a tangible impact on the world and refining themselves and their community for God.

Bailey

Genuine. I find the students of Biola to be very real people who truly care for each other within the community of Biola. The studetns realy care about learning and generarlly enjoy the atmosphere of Biola.

Biola is best known for its committment to creating men and women dedicated to making an impact for the Lord Jesus Christ. The university provides an awesome biblical based education that has again and again blown away the expecatations of its small, private school name.

As a senior in high school I would have like to have been told to slow down and enjoy each and every moment. There is something unique about every big event, every small moment, and every day that we are alive on this Earth that should be treasured and appreciated for what it is worth. As a senior, I was eager to be out of high school and into college. Although I would not say that I missed many highschool expierences by this eagerness, I would say that I still wish that I had taken the time to slow down, breathe, and reflect on the goodness of every day. Having grown in many ways over the course of my first year of college, I have come to learn that every moment and laugh will be remembered and that when it comes down to the stressful, hard, and downright chaotic times of school, the reltionships that I have built over the year will be right there with me holding my hand and I will be able to truly appreciate this for all of the moments, big and small, that have led up to this one.

Daniel

Being a college student is an extremely formative stage of life. Use this time to lay a solid foundation for the person you would be proud to be. Develop a good work ethic by doing your best in your classes. Set goals and remember what you are working for and towards. Manage your time so that you do not miss out on everything that school has to offer you. These experiences and relationships are invaluable and they will help you become you. That being said, you know how you tend to gravitate towards people that are similar to you? Try your best to let go of that. You are holding yourself back from so many great things. College is a season of learning, but do not limit yourself to only learning inside of a classroom. Learn to learn from everyone around you. Do not assume that someone has more to offer because of their age, interests, views, social status, or the people they hang out with. This is one of the most diverse environments you'll ever be in, so take advantage of it. College has more to offer you than a diploma, so make the most of it.

I transfered into Biola last school year (2013-2014) and I'm not going to lie, coming from a community college was a challenge. In community college I seemed to get better grades without putting as much work in. Biola has definitely pushed me to be more dilligent with my work. That being said, if someone is not self-motivated, Biola may not be a good fit for them. You have to have some sort of goal in mind to remind yourself of why all of the work you are doing is worth it.

My favorite thing about Biola is that I feel like I learn outside of the classroom as much as I learn inside of the classroom. Yes, Biola has been a great place for me to gain head knowledge, but I feel like I am also learning so many invaluable lessons from people other than my professors. The people around me challenge me to be someone I could be proud of. My fellow classmates have taught me so much about positively interacting with people, relating with those around you, and supporting and challenging the people you care about.

Zania

Biola is a place where you can grow spiritually while pursuing academic and professional goals within a community of supporters.

Knowing what I know now, the fundamental word of advice I would give my younger self can be summed up in this old age adage: less is much more. Entering college is an exciting time for anyone! University life is brimming with opportunities for academic and professional advancement (as well as friends and fun of course)! However with so much pressure to achieve societal upward mobility, the aforementioned things can easily become superficial markers of achievement instead of enriching experiences. When we see all of these opportunities as things to be “had”, we focus on getting them rather than cherishing them. Practically this principle can be summed up with these two words: slow down. Relax. These four years will be filled with innumerable opportunities. Seize a few and cherish them well throughout the years. Don’t try to do every internship that you are qualified for. Choose one or two and stick with them. Stop trying so hard to make friends with every person you meet. Instead pursue things you are good at and that really enrich your life, and true friends will come. Work hard at a few things with a few good people, and enjoy the time.

Well the school is founded on Christian principles and is an evangelical school and still very much abide by Christian and biblical principles. So if that is not appealing to someone then I would definitely encourage them to look for a school more suited to their interests, one that would be more suited to who they are. However Biola is not oppressively conservative and the student body is certainly more varied than the instituion itself. The school does have community standards that the student body is expected to abide by but they are pretty reasonable.

Sabrina

Biola University is an amazing school filled with challenges to help us grow, and love that we can all spread for the glory of God.

First and foremost, try to not be afraid because this journey is going to be great. In your yearbook you see the sang "don't change", college is not going to change who you are, but it is going to go stretch you and mature you. Be open and allow yourself to question everything. Be confident in who you are and what you want. You may not always know what you want but hold on to any little bit of certainty. You are going to be given great responsibilities so do not abuse it! Pray for guidence when times get tough, because it will get difficult. Do not give up. Embrace the good inside you and show people who put you down (may even be yourself) that you are capable and strong. Meet new people and build relationships with classmates and professors; put yourself out there. Join clubs, get involved with activities at your school, and have fun. Also, have some quiet time to reflect on your day or what you are learning. Balance is so important (and so is sleep!). Discover who you are meant to be. Be patient with time but do not waste it.

Sometimes people are act like they do not have problems and act as if they always have to be happy, which is not what we are taught. We are taught to be honest and vulnerable with one another; people forget that.

carlos

Driven and unique individuals, together, working towards a common goal.

Driven and unique individuals, together, working towards a common goal.

Don't take school work to seriously. Grades, tests and homework are very important, but you learn more about life by actually living it, than by digging your nose in a text book. Take plenty of time to enjoy the few years that you have and make lasting friendships and memories. College isn't only about earning a degree; it's about growing up and learning how to live a fulfilling life. It all starts here.

I wish i had known how important it was to save up for school before coming in. While tuition may be expensive, it is worth the education and experiences that i have had and continue to have. My parents never went to college, so they had no knowledge of how expensive it can be. Preperation is key.

Jaci

The people at Biola, especially within my major of Kinesiology, are very driven academically but they are still friendly and helpful and participate in the core-unit-like bond we have within our major.

As a senior I wish I would have taken in the experience of high school while I was still there. Once you are a senior I feel like the future of college is at the forefront of one's mind and many forget to be present where they are at in that time. So enjoy, learn, and embrace the last year of secondary school before entering an entirely new experience. I do not think there is one solution or piece of advice to give for those going into college but something I would voice would be to go in with some kind of intention. Whether it is to do your best academically, or to participate in various clubs and activities, or to study abroad, the list goes on and on, but the best advice I could have is to start with a goal or purpose and to be mindful that it might change but it is better to start with something and go from there instead of start with no ambition and lose the opportunities to be shaped and molded by what your university has to offer.

The worst thing about Biola University is the surrounding area, there is not much to do.

Biola University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.