Central Washington University

« See more reviews of Central Washington University

After Graduating in December 2010 with an AA degree, I'll pursue a BS in Info-tech at UCF. My college experience has been interesting. Regarding writing, my English level has been improved (grade A for most writing classes). Besides, I better understand cultural diversity. Next, my gained knowledge in mathematics for my major is rewarding. Thanks to my new speaking skill, I keep my stage fright under control. In effect, on December 19, 2010, I preached three hundred people the gospel. Before, I feared and always declined offers to preach. After completing my speech class, I have gained confidence and took up the challenge. At the end of my sermon, the audience and my family pinpointed strengths and weaknesses, the former exceeding the latter by far. My college experience has been valuable because, first, it catapults me to a superior intellectual level. Thanks to that breakthrough, I’m pursuing a higher education. Second, my public speaking skill will serve my every-day-life activities and future career. Finally, that experience prepares me to envisage my future with hope. In conclusion, my intellectual and psychological benefits should motivate donors to encourage my endeavor by funding my studies toward a BS.

In order to find the right college, it is imperative for prospective students and their parents to research and visit all desired colleges before making a final decision. In addition, the university's selection of majors as well as the location, price, alumni involvement, and networking capabilities are extremely important. If students are undecided about their major, Individuals must recognize how far they are ready to move away from their family as well as how college will be paid for and if they will be able to establish good relationships/connections that will help their career prosper after college. College allows open-minded individuals to grow personally and academically, but it is important to remember the family values that were first established. As a full-time student with a full-time job, I have worked hard at fulfilling my college experience by choosing the activities I attend carefully. While memories from unnecessary social events fade, the knowledge I have gained from class discussions, favorite professors, volunteering, and clubs over the past four years will remain for a lifetime. Above all, the friendships established will prove more valuable than anything ever learned from a textbook.

Education is the key to success. I am grateful for the opportunities that have been opened to me as a result of attending college. One key asset for me in my college experience has been the opportunity to work with fellow students from all over the world. I have gained an interest and appreciation for the many cultures I have had the pleasure of learning about. I have had time to personally reflect on my own values and biases as I have been exposed to different points of view, teaching strategies, lifestyles, religious beliefs, and cultures. Without my exposure to this socio-cultural aspect, my world view would have remained ethnocentric and narrow. Through my studies I discovered that I am a capable learner. I am exceeding my academic goals by achieving outstanding grades and gaining knowledge in previously unexplored subjects. I have learned how to study and work with all types of personalities to accomplish group objectives in a variety of courses. The most valuable experience I have gained from college is my personal sense of accomplishment at achieving success in pursuing something challenging. I will inspire my future students to set lofty goals for their own education.

Making the leap from living at home with your parents to a place hundreds of miles away with a mode of living completely different from what you are used to will require a substantial amount of preparation. Besides the obvious challenge of finances, making a fresh start socially can make or break your college experience. One of the best things you can do is come to college with a positive attitude, ready to handle serious life situations, and meet people of all different backgrounds: treat them with the utmost respect. A flourishing social life will act as a bridge to the adult world, where knowing the right people will not only enhance your career prospects, but will substantially change your life for the better. In addition, scholarships can significantly ease the burden on you and your parents when they are paying for college. While they may have considerable resources already, it never hurts to save that money for future expenses such as post-baccalaureate education, or living expenses during internships which in today's economy are sometimes without pay, but can nevertheless be invaluable to your career path. Finally, never be afraid to try something new right away: plug in!

?Die wege entstehen im gehen.? We find our paths while we are walking. These words, offered to me as I fretted my post-bachelor transition, were spoken by a German-Italian student I formed a close friendship with while studying abroad. Like the transition from high school, the transition from college is stressful: interviews to land, standardized tests to conquer and admissions committees to impress. Essentially, there are decisions and they are life-changing. As a high school student, I often felt pressured to choose my path early and let that decision dictate the consequent direction of my life. Often, I became caught up in choosing my path before I took a single step and prevented myself from putting one foot in front of the other. Over the course of my undergraduate career, I learned to take steps forward by pursuing many interesting activities: internships, part- and full-time employment, new hobbies, and volunteer work. Through climbing, stumbling and climbing again, I discovered that this further exploration of myself, my community and my world helps me to find my way through my career and my life and to be comfortable with the question ?where shall I go from here??

From my college experience , I consider that the most valuable achievement in my education is the clear understanding of the purpose of my intending profession. My aim is to become a professional teacher, and I believe that a teacher should be open-minded and caring and should be able to demonstrate equity in the classroom. When saying that a teacher should be open minded, I refer to a teacher who accepts others’ ideas and beliefs. It is important that a teacher considers everyone’s ideas in a classroom in order to create a feeling of belonging in every student. Teachers should be caring with all students so that they feel protected and comfortable in class. Teachers should also practice equity in class. Examples of equity are giving certain students more time to finish specific tasks or providing dictionaries to English language learners. In my opinion, well-rounded teachers have these three characteristics that comprise their educational philosophy. This way, students will feel as if they are part of the learning environment and will safely contribute and learn in class, which will effectively allow the teacher to serve as the guide to a better future life for the students.

My college experience has given me the independence to explore the world and find other opportunities that I didn't have growing up in a small town. I am a foreign language major who has been enrolled in Spanish classes since I started college 3 years ago. After traveling to Europe when I was 14, I became extremely interested in learning foreign languages. Learning Spanish has given me the knowledge and confidence that I need to communicate with the fprever growing Spanish speaking community. During a study abroad trip to Mendoza, Argentina this summer, I improved and began to perfect my speaking skills. I networked with the Latin American culture while learning more about the history than I ever would have sitting in a classroom here. Study abroad gives you the experience of attending college in a foreign country while earning credits to finish your degree in the United States. Since starting my college experience, I have taken classes in Spanish, French and Russian with the dream of one day becoming a multilingual interpreter. College gives you the experience you need while providing you with more information than you will ever need to succeed in life.

As a new comer to the United States educational system, the me who first came to the United States at age 15 has become mature, confident, and much more courageous. I recall starting high school in the United States with pure fear of failure as well as a lack of confidence to openly socialize. With a lack of language skills in the beginning, I am now a social butterfly. I have also shown adequate skills to communicate with students at the school library counter, where I work. Having no previous involvement in extracurriculum activities in high school, I am now the vice-president of UNICEF club, and the Secretary and Treasurer of a community service club named Oakton Helping Others. My volunteering and community service experiences that I've gotten while in school personally carry tremendous value in discovering my passion of helping other people, and finding a new hobby. I've proven my capability in the academic world as well by overcoming every challenges in my way of pursuing my dream career. Oakton Community College has equipped me with all the tools I need to move forward to the future. The decision of attending Oakton never becomes a regret.

My college experience thus far has been a tremendous multitude of self discoveries and intriguing social lessons. I have always believed that the most important attribute a person can cultivate is the manner in which one interacts with his/her peers. That is the biggest and most applicable lesson possible to learn and develop through a lifetime, and college is a leap in the direction of discoveries that will help to understand a place in life and where to fit in. I have learned how my actions can affect others in positive and negative situations and because of that lesson can influence my peers to strive for excellence and succeed in their endeavors. Another valuable skill I have obtained through my college experience is a better understanding of when to talk and when not to talk. This skill may not seem very important; however, this skill is necessary in order to collaborate with coworkers and those in a leadership position ahead of myself. My experiences in college has been one of the most valuable experiences of my life, and because of the lessons I have learned socially, I will never regret my decision to attend a four year university.

The past three years of my college career has been wonderful. Academically, I have struggled, but have found a good pace for myself. The professors and other staff here are very caring and friendly to me. I recall I was struggling in calculus, and my advisor went out of his way to find the perfect tutor for me. I also didn't have to pay for it, the University had offered free tutoring. There is also a great 1st generation college student program here called "TRIO" I am assigned an advisor that touch bases with me in a more personal way, sort of like a mentor or parent figure. I have met great people here, they have became some of my closest friends. Some of them have the same classes, goals and interests as me, so it helps when it comes to studying. I was able to experience bigger responibilites such as taking care of myself finacially, gaining independence, and overcoming hardships. The greatest opportunity cost that I personally gave up to receive this higher education is a job. I am struggling financially right now, this scholarship would benefit me remarkably. And assisting to pursue my career dreams after graduation.